Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Re: Inverness away

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Friday 13th 2018f April 2018 03:11:50 PM

ellonbairn wrote:
Friday 13th 2018f April 2018 01:09:16 PM
I think we will get 1 point from our remaining games and finish 8th as i don't think Dumbarton will get any more than that. Its been a horrible season overall and we are taking a big risk in this big rebuilding Hartley is to do. How long do we give him for example if we are in the bottom half in October?
I agree picking points up now in the last few games will be tough given we've only picked up 1 point from the last 9 albeit all three games were tight. I think the issue now is that I think a lot of players are aware they won't be here next season. I don't think we'll pick up many and it's because Dumbarton won't win enough that will see us okay
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Friday 13th 2018f April 2018 03:30:36 PM

I honestly think he needs next season, and the season after that. For me, the only thing that would change that is relegation next season.
If the likes of Loy and Harris decide to shrug their shoulders, and see out their contracts, I reckon that leaves Hartley trying to build a small first team squad that consists of 20% duds before the manager even strikes a blow. That’s an incredibly tough ask.
I get the feeling that Hartley isn’t a Mr Motivator type of guy, but he is a team builder type of guy. If that’s the case, and the duds remain and effectively block the team building, what’s the guy to do?
When Houston left the club, the mess he left behind wasn’t going to be fixed in a matter of weeks. It might be another year and a bit before his mistakes are finally gone. That might even mean Hartley will be hard pushed to get the team he wants until August 2019.

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Friday 13th 2018f April 2018 03:38:52 PM

I think loy and Harris will both move on despite their additional year to go. even if they are offered less but it's a two year contract or even 1 year and they will play I think they'll take it. what player wants to not play at all for another year? their value to other teams will diminish too if they stay as they effectively won't have played competitively for two whole seasons. Rankin was in a similar position and moved. I know a few players down south sat out their contracts but they were on massive money and didn't need to worry about working again.

my guess is they will both move and a fresh start for us Hartley and them
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

AL_bairn
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by AL_bairn » Friday 13th 2018f April 2018 03:48:40 PM

I wasn't happy at all after the other night (Hartley's subs annoyed me most) but we are 4th in the form table since the turn of the year which shows Hartley's signings improved us massively on what we had so he deserves the chance to see what he can do with a clean slate going into a new season.

After this season making the play offs should be the aim.

Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Ricey » Friday 13th 2018f April 2018 04:08:09 PM

Failure to make the playoffs next season would be a disaster financially for the club. If Hartley can’t do that on an increased budget then he must go.

ellonbairn
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by ellonbairn » Friday 13th 2018f April 2018 04:19:03 PM

Ricey wrote:
Friday 13th 2018f April 2018 04:08:09 PM
Failure to make the playoffs next season would be a disaster financially for the club. If Hartley can’t do that on an increased budget then he must go.
tend to agree

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Friday 13th 2018f April 2018 04:40:39 PM

My slight concern is any alleged increased budget already has a chunk of it devoted to duds who decide to see out their contracts. That makes any “increase” debatable in real terms.

Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Ricey » Friday 13th 2018f April 2018 10:34:32 PM

Yes any increase could be fully or partially negated by players under contract however I would be calling for his head if we didn’t at least go close to winning the league if this was not the case. Given the circumstances I would still fully expect 4th place at worst no excuses. He needs to deliver as does the board showing us how the £340k saving from the academy has been put to good use. They’ve had the honeymoon period this season we need results from July onward

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Saturday 14th 2018f April 2018 02:23:28 AM

I can’t disagree with your sentiments, and while a top four finish should be achievable, I wouldn’t be going daft if it didn’t (provided that we weren’t messing around at the tail end of the league table, and there was signs that things were moving in the right direction).
Grubbing around in 7th, 8th 9th or bottom of the league in Feb or March would bring real pressure though.
I actually think Dumbarton will still be in this league next season as neither Raith nor any of the other League 1 hopefuls look strong enough to shift them.
I would expect (if no play off promotions) that Livingston will have to cut back their spending, as currently they are overspending yet again, QotS look to be on the slide, and Morton will take their usual dip in form.
ICT are financially close to bust, so they might be struggling too, and next season should be a four way race between DU, the Fifers, the relegated side, and us (if we get our act together).
Although an 11th season of not winning our opening game will piss me off greatly.

havenbairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by havenbairn » Saturday 14th 2018f April 2018 07:26:06 AM

Ricey wrote:
Friday 13th 2018f April 2018 10:34:32 PM
Yes any increase could be fully or partially negated by players under contract however I would be calling for his head if we didn’t at least go close to winning the league if this was not the case. Given the circumstances I would still fully expect 4th place at worst no excuses. He needs to deliver as does the board showing us how the £340k saving from the academy has been put to good use. They’ve had the honeymoon period this season we need results from July onward
I know you are only highlighting the erroneous claims made at the time, but the saving from the academy will only be in the region of £140,000.

The scrapping of the Under 20 team will save an additional c£200,000 and that's where the total savings of £340,000 comes from.

Brian Scrimegour
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Brian Scrimegour » Saturday 14th 2018f April 2018 02:50:50 PM

Yeah tje total savings are 340k but i cant see much increase in next years budget as we'll be missing out on a big wedge of the 400k prize money we received the last two seasons.

Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Ricey » Saturday 14th 2018f April 2018 03:02:20 PM

Yes £340k saving with the Gallagher money, Mcbride money and sevco cup money offsetting any league placing losses should mean increased budget if not what the hell are Campbell and Lang playing at? We have shown with the academy we are to be ruthless and the same stands for Campbell and Hartley. No playoffs next year then goodbye the pair of you