Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
Ranaldo Bairn
International Regular
International Regular

Re: Hartley to rebuild squad in transfer window

Post by Ranaldo Bairn » Thursday 18th 2018f January 2018 02:45:13 PM

Creative Redemption wrote:
Thursday 18th 2018f January 2018 02:13:32 PM
Hartley is certainly moulding his own team, and Tumilty is a great addition to the end of the season.
My only concern with what Hartley uis doing is - what happens next season with a squad full of loan players? Will he need to build another squad over the summer? I think the answer to this is 'yes'. Tumilty, Jakubiak, Nelson and Blair are on loan. Many other contracts are up so he'd have a major rebuilding job in any case. How do we get the momentum we need if the players all go back to their parents club?

My only other gripe is the way some folks disrespectful comments to some of our longer term players who have left the club. Regardless of their performances, some guys like Kerr put everything in to playing for the club and to hear some of the comments is pretty poor IMO. Yup. It's not their fault they got picked to play more than they should have. They just turned up and did their best. Firm handshakes and best wishes to those involved.

That aside, onwards and upwards. COYB
"You, who have destroyed so much - can you name even one thing you have created? I thought not. There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue Physicist."

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Thursday 18th 2018f January 2018 02:59:44 PM

Don’t think I’ve read any comments that are disrespectful to Kerr only ones slating his performances which are fair enough, within reason.

stupac07
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by stupac07 » Thursday 18th 2018f January 2018 03:00:17 PM

Creative Redemption wrote:
Thursday 18th 2018f January 2018 02:13:32 PM
Hartley is certainly moulding his own team, and Tumilty is a great addition to the end of the season.
My only concern with what Hartley uis doing is - what happens next season with a squad full of loan players? Will he need to build another squad over the summer? How do we get the momentum we need if the players all go back to their parents club?

My only other gripe is the way some folks disrespectful comments to some of our longer term players who have left the club. Regardless of their performances, some guys like Kerr put everything in to playing for the club and to hear some of the comments is pretty poor IMO.

That aside, onwards and upwards. COYB

I think Hartley is doing the right thing by only signing loan players this season our league position justifies it. We can't take for granted the fact that we may be in a play-off battle to go down (although I don't think/hope we will be) so he has to work with that in mind. We wouldn't want to be stuck with players next season who can't cut it at this level if we were to drop down a league. If we stay up then I would like to see more permanent deals however this season is written off for me so not too concerned over the 6 month deal. Only problem with it is the guys we have on short term look decent and may be picked up by other clubs but its a gamble we have to take this season.

Also on your other gripe I haven't seen many people disrespect those leaving? any comments I have read whether it be on here or other platforms are justifiable due to the performance of the team when they packed in after game 1 and if rumours are to be believed have left due to self interest not being fulfilled. If anything I think its been the other way around with the term 'legends' being overused they aren't Crunchie, Stainrod types now are they?

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Thursday 18th 2018f January 2018 03:43:56 PM

Jones made a good point about the legends term and I agree. I have respect for both players for their application when they’ve been at the club but let’s face it they’re not back here because of their love for us. They’re here because they’re at the tail end of their career and we probably represented the best offer. Had they stayed the following season at Ochilview and got us promoted then legends, they would be.

Falkirkbairn90
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Falkirkbairn90 » Thursday 18th 2018f January 2018 08:28:01 PM

Dade wrote:
Thursday 18th 2018f January 2018 03:43:56 PM
Jones made a good point about the legends term and I agree. I have respect for both players for their application when they’ve been at the club but let’s face it they’re not back here because of their love for us. They’re here because they’re at the tail end of their career and we probably represented the best offer. Had they stayed the following season at Ochilview and got us promoted then legends, they would be.
Agree with this Dade. I don’t think anyone here is disrespecting guys who have served our club well. It’s just time they moved on, we may not all agree with how it’s been done but truth is it’s all hearsay. I’m certainly not going to believe everything Andy Rodgers spouts on Twitter. I will miss Big Lee more than Kerr. Seeing him score for us always felt a bit sweeter than when anyone else did the past few seasons.

Times are changing at our club and I for one think we have the right man at the helm to help steer us to where we need to be. As others have said he’s gave everyone a chance and found out for himself what was required. His recruitment has been excellent to date and I say more power to him. He’s not trying to win a popularity contest. He’s trying to steer our club to where it should be (SPL) and in the process further his career and possibly prove to Dundee what a mistake it was getting rid of him. I don’t care how he does it or who he upsets in the process, I just want us back playing in the SPL and we have a manager who I believe can take us there.

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Thursday 18th 2018f January 2018 11:23:43 PM

I am already aligned to the fact that if Hartley does a good job with us, then there’s every chance an English League 1 or even Championship side could come in for him.
If that happens, it will only be because he’s done something impressive with us, and if that all comes to pass, then would deserve that move, and our collective thanks and best wishes for the future.
I think Hartley (as a manager) has always had something about him, and maybe we are going to be the beneficiaries of a guy who has fully matured as a manager, and who has learned from his past mistakes.
That might be too much to hope for. I think the next two years will certainly prove his worth (or otherwise).
It’s a long time since we have had a manager that has improved things month on month. There’s no doubt that he wants players who will bend to what Hartley lays down, and that’s ok with me. A wee glimmer of optimism in what has been a pretty bleak season.

Pete
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Pete » Friday 19th 2018f January 2018 11:59:09 PM

Miller or kerr are certainly not club legends, however they have been fantastic servants to the club both on and off the pitch and they should be shown some appreciation and thanks for that. But it is clear to see that this is a season too far and really both should have been released at the end of last season.

Its a shame miller, and no doubt kerr eventually, have left under these circumstances but it had to be done. Personally dont really care if the rumours of the players not liking hartley are correct, they've been piss poor for ages now and changes had to be made

John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by John Markie » Saturday 20th 2018f January 2018 10:17:47 PM

I think Hartley is doing as good a job as anyone could given what he had to work with when he arrived.

He fairly quickly realised that we have really poor defenders and the protection they were getting from midfield was equally poor, so these were the key areas to be looked at first. Once he had adapted us to a 5-3-2 to try and stop the team leaking goals he then set about trying to find players capable of finding the net at the other end. I'd say he's done okay in just about all his decisions so far, though obviously there are a couple of players still getting a game that are makeshift at best and some he just has to keep until the summer. He's rightly getting rid of players who simply were never good enough (Craigen, Henderson, Gasporotto etc), some of the older guys (Miller with Kerr surely also on his way) and shuffling the pack a bit to try and get some sort of consistency in team selection and bring in some hungry youngsters. In the main he's getting it more right than wrong, so far.

We do still have some serious issues which won't get resolved until the end of the season imo.

Utmost in his mind must be goalkeeper as neither Mutch nor Thomson look to be good enough. Such a pity Mitchell got injured as having him in goals might have salvaged a game or two, but clearly this looks like its going to be a case of make=do until the end of the season when I'd expect Thomson to leave and Mutch to continue his development as back up or move somewhere on loan.

Moving the useless Muirhead into a back 3 allows a proper full back to come into the side, although Muirheads performances in his "favoured" position have been in the main diabolical. At least as part of a central back 3 he has a couple of real centre backs to help him out, but his poor positional play, ball watching, total lack of awareness, inability to man mark and his dreadful distribution still leaves the central defensive positions vulnerable. I assume Hartley sees him as being the paciest, so thats why he gets a game, as his 2 fellow central defenders ain't exactly quick. Looks like we will have to live with this until end of season. Grant is likely as good as many others in this league in his role as a "stopper", but he really cannot pass properly and is so slow on the ball that he really won't get any further than this level at best. McGhee on the other hand looks like he has the class to get to a better level than championship, and I hope he stays with us to achieve that. The new wing backs look decent enough, but its taken a long time for Tumilty to settle in, whereas Robson is a real terrific player who we sadly won't be able to keep. If we had his class of player in every position we would romp this league and beat most of the premiership teams too. Lets enjoy watching this kid while we can.

The midfield at last seems to be providing enough cover for the back line with a definite improvement in balance now we have the 3 guys - Kidd, Taiwo and Sibbs all complimenting each others styles and abilities, although why Welsh has been brought in remains a mystery as he adds nothing, especially when he loses the ball and simply looks bemused as to why. I wish we had a Vaulks type in here, but they are not exactly thick on the ground. I guess we will lose Sibbs at the end of the season and that will be a difficult player for us to replace. I think we can all acknowledge that Hartley gave Kerr a fair crack at retaining his place, but even a blind man could see that Kerrs legs had gone at least a season ago, and his usually accurate passing (albeit sideways) was also far from as accurate as it was of old. Even Harris and to a lesser extent Craigen had chances to impress, but its patently obvious these guys are nowhere near good enough at this level, at least not when we need players who will show effort and fight.

Up front Hartley has brought in two battlers who look like they can cause defences quite a few problems. Longridge has chipped in with a few goals and is settling into the team so much that he must be close to being the first name on the team sheet every week. He never stops running, and he is gaining more confidence and his decision making is getting better every week. Nelson looks a real trier and I like the way he wants to battle hos opponent, usually gaining the upper hand long before the final whistle. A few goals to boost his confidence, and this guy could really do well for us.

In signing the other new kid up front (Jakubiak) it looks like Hartley is going for youth and energy which I hope works out for him. I'd love to see us switch to a more attacking style (maybe 4-3-3), but given the limitations of our defenders I doubt that will happen any time soon. But with the players he's brought in we at least look like we have a chance of climbing out of the mire Houston put us in.
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Wednesday 24th 2018f January 2018 05:01:36 PM

That's Kerr away now and maybe even Dunne!!!!

Hartley shows no mercy, get rid and get your own guys in ASAP.
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

Kiddy
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Kiddy » Wednesday 24th 2018f January 2018 06:27:28 PM

Olaf Thom wrote:
Wednesday 24th 2018f January 2018 05:01:36 PM

I said weeks ago that this was a huge task, & that it was possibly too big.
He's giving it his best shot anyway.
No financial regulation, no corporate governance, no enlarged divisions, no summer football, no single ruling body, no new cash, no integrity. Behold the 'bright new dawn' for Scottish football,

grumpyoldman
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by grumpyoldman » Wednesday 24th 2018f January 2018 06:52:17 PM

Olaf Thom wrote:
Wednesday 24th 2018f January 2018 05:01:36 PM

Thank feck Kerr’s gone

If we get cash for Dunne then great

Onwards and upwards

Falkirkbairn90
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Falkirkbairn90 » Wednesday 24th 2018f January 2018 08:02:47 PM

Good news and was to be expected. He’s not screwing around and quite rightly so. Hopefully bring in one or two more before the end of the window.

Pete
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Pete » Wednesday 24th 2018f January 2018 08:35:26 PM

Where's Dunne off too?

Sir Jones
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Sir Jones » Wednesday 24th 2018f January 2018 09:33:58 PM

Pete wrote:
Wednesday 24th 2018f January 2018 08:35:26 PM
Where's Dunne off too?
Blackburn is the rumour
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.

Kiddy
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Kiddy » Wednesday 24th 2018f January 2018 11:54:28 PM

Sir Jones wrote:
Wednesday 24th 2018f January 2018 09:33:58 PM
Pete wrote:
Where's Dunne off too?
Blackburn is the rumour
Playing in the East Region Juniors will certainly knock the corners off him. But surely playing with Kemlin, Bo'ness or Lithgae would be a bit better standard?
No financial regulation, no corporate governance, no enlarged divisions, no summer football, no single ruling body, no new cash, no integrity. Behold the 'bright new dawn' for Scottish football,

Romaines of the Day
Reserve sub
Reserve sub

Post by Romaines of the Day » Thursday 25th 2018f January 2018 09:17:49 AM

According to The Sun:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/ ... gen-klopp/

200K for Tony Gallacher (plus add-ons, sell-on clause)

Kiddy
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Kiddy » Thursday 25th 2018f January 2018 11:49:21 AM

If he does go for a keeper, I'm surprised he hasn't gone for a C/H too. That would give him a complete backbone of signings that he want's in his side.
Someone in the mould of Dods/McCracken to organise at the back. As none of the current ones have that capability.

billybairn
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by billybairn » Thursday 25th 2018f January 2018 12:39:16 PM

Keeper signed (on 6 month loan from Celtic)

http://www.falkirkfc.co.uk/conor-hazard ... om-celtic/

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Thursday 25th 2018f January 2018 01:37:31 PM

Kiddy wrote:
Wednesday 24th 2018f January 2018 11:54:28 PM
Sir Jones wrote:
Wednesday 24th 2018f January 2018 09:33:58 PM
Pete wrote:
Where's Dunne off too?
Blackburn is the rumour
Playing in the East Region Juniors will certainly knock the corners off him. But surely playing with Kemlin, Bo'ness or Lithgae would be a bit better standard?
Maybe he just wants to be closer to Susan Boyle

kent brockman
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by kent brockman » Thursday 25th 2018f January 2018 02:01:41 PM

billybairn wrote:
Thursday 25th 2018f January 2018 12:39:16 PM
Keeper signed (on 6 month loan from Celtic)

http://www.falkirkfc.co.uk/conor-hazard ... om-celtic/
That`s a great loan signing for the club.

Highly rated at Celtic where he has just signed a 4 year deal.
Its not the taking part that counts......its the WINNING.