Our Time - Or is it

Post by havenbairn » Friday 14th 2017f July 2017 07:15:52 AM

The Bookies don't seem to think so.

The odds are as follows;

Dundee United 15/8

St Mirren 10/3

Inverness 9/2

Falkirk 5/1

Do you think this is a realistic assessment of our chances of winning the Championship.

AL_bairn
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Re: Our Time - Or is it

Post by AL_bairn » Friday 14th 2017f July 2017 08:25:42 AM

I don't get the love for st Mirren. Lost their best players and signed players that if we signed there would be a meltdown on here.

Dundee utd I don't think have a very good manager and their signings could be anything so a bit of an unknown on that respect.

If Inverness finish above us I'd be very surprised.

I think we have every chance and would have us shorter in the betting. There won't be a runaway winner this season but we have every chance. The balance in the team is looking better and I think Harris will end up being a very good signing. If Craigen chips in with 8-10 goals this season (providing the strikers do the business) then we will be the team to beat.

Brian Scrimegour
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Brian Scrimegour » Friday 14th 2017f July 2017 09:51:48 AM

Dundee United were always going to be favourites and the team coming down always get short odds. Can't understand why St Mirren are ahead of us in the odds though.

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Friday 14th 2017f July 2017 11:55:38 AM

Brian Scrimegour wrote:Dundee United were always going to be favourites and the team coming down always get short odds. Can't understand why St Mirren are ahead of us in the odds though.
Agreed with this. Also can't see how ICT doing too much but let's see.

The St.Mirren love in is strange. Jack Ross done well to save them but people seem to forget that he was there in October and took them further adrift before eventually escaping relegation on the last day. Be interesting to see how they get on but I don't see any reason why they'd be better odds than us.

Falkirkbairn90
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Falkirkbairn90 » Friday 14th 2017f July 2017 12:16:15 PM

Like everyone else I can see why Utd are favourites. They are the biggest team by far with a bigger budget, that was inevitable.

Based purely on ICT signing Baird I've almost written them off immediately. He should be at Dumbarton or similar. Their budget has been cut and clearly the bookies are just giving them the benefit of the doubt purely because they just got relegated. Plus, last time they came down they went straight back up did they not? Different times now with bigger clubs being in this division.

Not even going to merit the St Mirren odds with a response...

By my reckoning we should be 2nd favourites based purely on the past 2 seasons. That's logical but who knows how the bookies generate these odds. Probably a computerised algorithm with zero human input.

ellonbairn
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by ellonbairn » Friday 14th 2017f July 2017 01:38:37 PM

Agree with United as favourites. I expect them to win the league this time with a bit to spare. After that, who knows? I expect Dunfermline and Morton to be very close to the top 4 as well. St Mirren odds must solely be based on their great escape last season.

chippo1876
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by chippo1876 » Friday 14th 2017f July 2017 03:27:12 PM

spoke to a fifer about their chances this season after the raith rovers friendly and he said that they only have 7 1st team players signed and struggling to attract players due to the managers antics behind the scenes, also mentioned he has 4 games to save his job. had to stiffle my laugh !! :D

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Friday 14th 2017f July 2017 05:06:57 PM

It's still a bit early to tell with 2 weeks to go and signings and injuries etc still to happen. 5/1 Is very attractive odds for us. I think Morton will do well again this season experienced manager stuffy to beat and much more firepower than last.

In terms of us not sure what will happen with sibbald and if we will get any money in in time to get someone decent. I still don't understand why we haven't leveraged our relationship with Ross Wilson at Southampton or dealings with Swansea to get some talented loanees in from them
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

Sir Jones
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Sir Jones » Friday 14th 2017f July 2017 06:59:50 PM

Not a chance for us. We're still largely the same collection of chokers that we've seen for a few years now. Loy is a little different but Harris is well known for being a sh1tebag (to be clear, I still think he'll be a good signing).

United will have things wrapped up by early April at the latest I'd imagine. ICT will be pretty pish - their squad has been decimated. Sometimes that's what you need in relegation but from the sounds of things, their replacements are dung. St Mirren are getting the kudos thanks to having a manager that, in my opinion, has a bit about him. With the right motivation, average squads can grind out the results you need in this division. They'll be top 4 for sure anyway.

I expect Dunfermline, Morton and QotS to be extremely average at best this season and the final 3 should really be viewed as bankers - but we know fine well we'll f*ck things up nicely against them.
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Friday 14th 2017f July 2017 11:57:37 PM

I can see why United are favourites. Keatings and King were good signings but looking at it from a stats point, Keatings hasn't scored more than 13 goals in this league. John Baird has a better average than him. Lee Miller was only 4 short of that and he didn't take any penalties of which Keating scored 5 in his best season.

King had a great season with Hearts scoring 8 and assisting 14 however he didn't do much with Rangers and was pretty average with Inverness so questions on whether he will be able to recapture his form of 3 seasons ago.

Don't get me wrong I'd have been happy to sign both but if that's the best signings they can get then it gives me a bit more confidence that we should be able to compete with them.

grumpyoldman
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by grumpyoldman » Saturday 15th 2017f July 2017 07:16:01 AM

With a target of 15 points a quarter

It will never be our time.

Major change of mindset required

You need to set up to win games as opposed to set up not to lose games

No sure that's in Houston's mentality

Bula Bairn
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Bula Bairn » Saturday 15th 2017f July 2017 08:37:40 AM

AL_bairn wrote:I don't get the love for st Mirren. Lost their best players and signed players that if we signed there would be a meltdown on here.

Dundee utd I don't think have a very good manager and their signings could be anything so a bit of an unknown on that respect.

If Inverness finish above us I'd be very surprised.

I think we have every chance and would have us shorter in the betting. There won't be a runaway winner this season but we have every chance. The balance in the team is looking better and I think Harris will end up being a very good signing. If Craigen chips in with 8-10 goals this season (providing the strikers do the business) then we will be the team to beat.
Exactly this!

There's nothing to fear in this league. Dundee Utd have just signed a goalie who couldn't get a look in with us. St. Mirren targeted Loy and failed. Inverness are pinning their hopes on Baird. The rest will just be aiming to stay in the league. I never really gamble but 5/1 looks generous!

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Saturday 15th 2017f July 2017 09:43:48 AM

grumpyoldman wrote:With a target of 15 points a quarter

It will never be our time.

Major change of mindset required

You need to set up to win games as opposed to set up not to lose games

No sure that's in Houston's mentality
As I've said before the points target thing is a misnomer. No way is Houston going to put pressure on himself and players by setting high targets but I have no doubt that he will be expecting that team to go out and win almost all our matches.

Pete
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Pete » Saturday 15th 2017f July 2017 10:11:14 AM

Why set any points target then?

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Saturday 15th 2017f July 2017 10:33:11 AM

Pete wrote:Why set any points target then?
To lower expectations from our unrealistic fans. Doesn't matter what he says but what we get. Point is he'll still be looking to win almost every game.

Has he actually stated a points total for this season yet?

Sir Jones
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Sir Jones » Saturday 15th 2017f July 2017 11:29:26 AM

It's never unrealistic to say that this club should be challenging for the title every season though. And I include seasons with Rangers, Hearts, Hibs. Of course, defining "challenge" is subjective. Had we managed some results against Hibs last season there wouldn't have been much in it for example.

I don't know where the 15 points a quarter thing came from, don't really care. We should, and could, have been in a position to win the league this season. I just don't see it happening largely due to key squad issues not being fixed - still no proper width in the team though Harris will help.

To Houston, he may be looking to win almost every game. To me, he's looking to avoid defeat in almost every game. It's a mentality thing - not one I care for. But there just isn't that x factor feeling around the club. You just knew McCall's side would thump everyone. Same with Hughes' and Jeffries'. You feel it to the core just like I know the coming season will be another full of forgettable performances and results!
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.

kent brockman
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by kent brockman » Saturday 15th 2017f July 2017 11:49:47 AM

The thing is Houston should not be setting the targets, that's the role of the Board.

It is his job to achieve them.
Its not the taking part that counts......its the WINNING.

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Saturday 15th 2017f July 2017 03:42:24 PM

Sir Jones wrote:It's never unrealistic to say that this club should be challenging for the title every season though. And I include seasons with Rangers, Hearts, Hibs. Of course, defining "challenge" is subjective. Had we managed some results against Hibs last season there wouldn't have been much in it for example.

I don't know where the 15 points a quarter thing came from, don't really care. We should, and could, have been in a position to win the league this season. I just don't see it happening largely due to key squad issues not being fixed - still no proper width in the team though Harris will help.

To Houston, he may be looking to win almost every game. To me, he's looking to avoid defeat in almost every game. It's a mentality thing - not one I care for. But there just isn't that x factor feeling around the club. You just knew McCall's side would thump everyone. Same with Hughes' and Jeffries'. You feel it to the core just like I know the coming season will be another full of forgettable performances and results!
Don't think that's true. Houston is pretty conservative in his style, he looks to keep things tight and go for it later on but he doesn't try to get a lead and protect it soon as like Presley used to.

Let's just wait and see what happens. Point is he has been getting the results that have seen us finish in as high a position if not higher than should be expected.

Sir Jones
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Sir Jones » Saturday 15th 2017f July 2017 05:00:28 PM

True, and Im probably in the minority, but I'd rather eschew results by sh1tty performances in favour of entertainment.

Pete
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Pete » Saturday 15th 2017f July 2017 05:24:26 PM

Dade wrote:
Sir Jones wrote:It's never unrealistic to say that this club should be challenging for the title every season though. And I include seasons with Rangers, Hearts, Hibs. Of course, defining "challenge" is subjective. Had we managed some results against Hibs last season there wouldn't have been much in it for example.

Don't think that's true. Houston is pretty conservative in his style, he looks to keep things tight and go for it later on but he doesn't try to get a lead and protect it soon as like Presley used to.

Let's just wait and see what happens. Point is he has been getting the results that have seen us finish in as high a position if not higher than should be expected.
Dundee utd home game we took the lead then tried to see it out but failed miserably