Post referendum/Scottish politics

Random Thoughts - hobbies, film, other sport, books, rants, moans, news etc
rusty_nail
First Team sub
First Team sub

Re: Post referendum/Scottish politics

Post by rusty_nail » Tuesday 14th 2017f March 2017 11:46:02 AM

Scotland is sluggish due to the heavy reliance on the public sector but the SG hasn't helped by making us the most heavily direct taxed part of the UK.
Another myth that has been said enough times that people start to believe that. It's a small proportion of tax-payers who do pay more but since income tax is not the only taxes we owe we save on others which has the net effect of not making us the highest taxed part of the UK :x

If it's a 'Yes' campaign again and the SG need to counter these falsehoods better this time or we'll end up with the nonsense we saw first time round and in the Brexit vote where unsubstantiated claims get a foot hold.

I said it before in 2014 and I'll say it again now: The UK does not 'subsidise' Scotland out of the goodness of it's heart. If we whine and cost them so much then why do they persist in spinning the line we're 'better together'.
Contemplating the future of One F in Falkirk

dixie chicken
International Sub
International Sub

Post by dixie chicken » Tuesday 14th 2017f March 2017 12:47:28 PM

Anyway, here we go again.
It's so depressing!!!!

Sir Jones
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Sir Jones » Tuesday 14th 2017f March 2017 08:33:08 PM

dixie chicken wrote:Anyway, here we go again.
It's so depressing!!!!
Pot and kettle!
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.

Kiddy
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Kiddy » Wednesday 12th 2017f April 2017 02:46:27 PM

Interesting debate on those GERS figures.
No financial regulation, no corporate governance, no enlarged divisions, no summer football, no single ruling body, no new cash, no integrity. Behold the 'bright new dawn' for Scottish football,

dixie chicken
International Sub
International Sub

Post by dixie chicken » Thursday 13th 2017f April 2017 10:11:57 AM

It has always been the case that the GERS figures were 'best estimates' and, as the they are put out by the SG without any qualifications or warnings, then the public are entitled to take them as being a reasonable statement of Scotland's likely financial position post independence.
The decisions made by an independent Scotland could change the situation quite considerably for good or bad. Again, no one has ever denied that.
It is also fair to say that since 2014 quite a few things have changed.
The oil price has dropped, decommissioning has increased and, despite new finds the likely tax take in coming years is likely to be dramatically reduced.
GDP in Scotland is trailing well below that of the Rest of the Uk.
Scotland lags the ruk with regard to new start ups, innovation and entrepreneurship.
Scotland is more dependent on the public sector.
All the signs are that the SG is more left wing than the UK government as seen by not reducing taxes to the same extent as the Ruk. The only way to increase GDP is by attracting successful businesses and to be uncompetitive in taxation is a negative policy.
Having said all that, there is absolutely no reason why Scotland should not be independent and no doubt, at some time in the future, there will be another divisive referendum but the sensible time would be after Brexit has happened and the public can see what that entails.
Personally speaking, my unionism has nothing to do with economics but rather a pride in being Scottish and British and sharing heritage, history and culture with the other nations and regions of these small islands.