Ayr Utd v Falkirk : 05th January 2019

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
rusty_nail
First Team sub
First Team sub

Ayr Utd v Falkirk : 05th January 2019

Post by rusty_nail » Thursday 03rd 2019f January 2019 03:52:05 PM

This game perhaps takes on an air of the unknown as we will hopefully be fielding a few new faces depending on how many more comings-and-goings take place between now and Saturday afternoon.

I don't see us taking anything from the game unfortunately but hoping we get a dose of optimism from the new recruits!
Contemplating the future of One F in Falkirk

chippo1876
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Re: Ayr Utd v Falkirk : 05th January 2019

Post by chippo1876 » Saturday 05th 2019f January 2019 11:07:57 AM

suppose this is the start of the season for us now.......if we can do what st mirren did a couple of seasons back at the turn of the year we will be fine but i guess it's a guessing game as they say you can tell by a players first touch if they're any good.expect the unexpected never sounded so apt with our club !

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Saturday 05th 2019f January 2019 01:40:40 PM

Hopefully the new players show some talent and give us some hope, can’t expect miracles, the target is playing as a solid team by Partick away, this is a warm up game. Anything from it is a bonus.
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

Pete
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Pete » Saturday 05th 2019f January 2019 07:55:49 PM

What a gritty performance from the team today.

1st half we played some nice stuff and created a few opportunities, mcshane was decent and waddington made some rampaging runs.

2nd half again started ok and scored a good goal following a goalie fumble. As the game progressed you could see them getting more and more tired but thanks to some miraculous goalkeeping we held out. Was a good noisey turn out today and sets us up nicely for next week. In terms of the new signings they all played a part, Dixon and McKenna were solid, mcshane at least tried to play forward passing, McLean didn't do much going forward but certainly got stuck in and waddington is a big gangly presence who tried to drive forward before becoming visibly knackered.

Overall a great afternoon and mckinnon says he's looking at 3 or 4 quality players to bolster the squad further

dixie chicken
International Sub
International Sub

Post by dixie chicken » Saturday 05th 2019f January 2019 08:42:12 PM

Interestingly, Ray says in his interview that Petra will be back training next week.
Apparently, most of the new boys hadn’t played for months!

Habib Utak Al Hansi
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Habib Utak Al Hansi » Saturday 05th 2019f January 2019 09:03:46 PM

Captain Bombscare dropped to the bench, and we turn in a solid defensive display and keep a clean sheet against a team who would have gone top of the league with a win. Hmm. Dixon will be a massive plus for us, exactly the kind of experienced, no-frills player we need in the situation we are in. McKenna I thought looked solid, just did a basic defensive job, nothing fancy. Didn't have too many expectations of Waddington but I thought he perhaps stood out the most today of the new signings, a big guy who does not appear to lack confidence or ability with the ball at his feet, had 2 or 3 rampaging runs forward and not afraid to take the ball even with the opposition around him. McShane was sometimes sloppy with his passing, but his run into the box led to the goal, similar to Dixon in that you won't get much better in the position we find ourselves in. We were under the cosh after we scored and Mitchell pulled off a miraculous save at the death but we coped well with most of what they threw at us. Must admit, some of their wingplay in the second half was excellent but Shankland was clearly a huge miss for them. Central defence stood up really well though.

Up front is still a problem for me. Rudden put in his usual shift and scored an excellent strikers goal, but he had run himself out and was totally isolated by about 75 minutes and there was nothing to replace him. O'Hara gives you effort but sorry, just not good enough, and we really need at least one decent, preferably experienced, addition in that area to give us some options. Rudden is still quite raw, and seems to reserve all of his performances for away from home, but that's seven goals now, all of them in games we have won. A lot of pressure on his shoulders for a guy of 18/19. God help us if he returns to Ibrox, although them signing Defoe would surely make that less likely.

All-in-all a great win at a tough venue, considering this was basically a brand new team who had never played, andbarely trained, together. Off the bottom of the table and sets us up for a big game at Firhill next week. A long way to go but a lot, lot, lot better than this time last week, was it really only seven days ago that we were watching the likes of Lewis, Sammut etc?? :shock: :shock: :shock:
PEP SHITTY SHOES - GTF

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Sunday 06th 2019f January 2019 04:33:56 PM

Quite an amazing result given where we were a week ago. Thing is, there might be even more significant changes by the time we play Thistle, so we can only guess at next week’s team selection.

Special mention for Mitchell. Our keepers have taken pesters from all quarters this season, but yesterday, Mitchell’s heroics late on were the difference between 1 and 3 points.

A wee bit more understanding by next week, and definitely another big of chunk of match fitness, and this FFC Rev 2 team just might have something about themthat the rest aren’t going to like. We can but hope.

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Sunday 06th 2019f January 2019 11:15:13 PM

I remember travelling down to Ayr for our first game with a totally new look Falkirk team 16 and a half years ago with Ian McCall in the opposite dugout. What a buzz that day was as we came away with an amazing victory.

Hopefully history will repeat itself!