How to stop the rot?

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
Falkirkfan6871
International Sub
International Sub

How to stop the rot?

Post by Falkirkfan6871 » Tuesday 25th 2018f September 2018 02:11:07 PM

So what needs changed? We have to beat Alloa to at least try and reach January in 9th place.

Is Rodgers son the answer? Who else will we look to sign?

rusty_nail
First Team sub
First Team sub

Re: How to stop the rot?

Post by rusty_nail » Tuesday 25th 2018f September 2018 05:46:26 PM

Falkirkfan6871 wrote:
Tuesday 25th 2018f September 2018 02:11:07 PM
So what needs changed? We have to beat Alloa to at least try and reach January in 9th place.

Is Rodgers son the answer? Who else will we look to sign?
I don’t think we need to win but we definitely can’t lose!

We need to be solid defensively and stop gifting the opposition easy goals. Whether that means dropping butter-fingers Fasan for Mutch or just limiting Alloa I don’t care.

Against DU we allowed too many crosses into the box and sat off too much.

Sad to say I’d take nil-nil right now if offered.
Contemplating the future of One F in Falkirk

fuzzydunlop
Under 18 sub
Under 18 sub

Post by fuzzydunlop » Tuesday 25th 2018f September 2018 06:38:02 PM

Seriously rubbish times when this is what we are aiming for. Sad but true.

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Wednesday 26th 2018f September 2018 09:46:05 AM

agreed it's sad times that we are hoping not to lose to alloa. lose and we're already 6 points adrift of them with an inferior goal difference too. by all accounts they are playing pretty well and have been unlucky to only pick up 3 points.

in terms of stopping the rot we need to start by dropping fasan. our defence is shaky enough without them having no confidence in their keeper. I dont think we can start haber either. he's been given plenty game time to prove himself and I'm not even sure if he's tested a goalie yet never mind scored. too immobile for me and been played too isolated too far from goals which doesnt suit him. so drop him and go with rudden and petravious. if we need to bombard the box in this very tight pitch last 30 mins then by all means look at someone like Mackin and or haber
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

rusty_nail
First Team sub
First Team sub

Post by rusty_nail » Wednesday 26th 2018f September 2018 10:56:24 AM

Bridge of Allan Bairn wrote:...I dont think we can start haber either...
I'd prefer Lewis in the team ahead of Haber. I think there is merit to utilising the pace/running of Rudden, Petravicious and Lewis instead of trying to use Haber as an ineffectual target man.

If we had wing-backs of note I'd favour that tactic but since we don't I'd like to see us go 4-3-3/4-5-1 and dispense with Muirhead or Brough (not that they do) crossing the half-way line.

Habib Utak Al Hansi
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Habib Utak Al Hansi » Wednesday 26th 2018f September 2018 09:17:44 PM

I think the pattern for the season has been set. This isn't a blip or a slow start. We cannot complain about bad luck or crap refereeing. We've played six matches in the league, four in the league cup and two in the Irn Bru and you'd struggle to identify a decent performance, perhaps outwith the first half at Somerset Park. I don't see much changing with the current group of players, the vast majority of whom are simply not good enough. Even if we got a win against Alloa or Dunfermline, are we capable of stringing three or four results together to get a bit of momentum? Doubtful. I wouldn't fancy us at somewhere like Cappielow in a few weeks time against a fired-up Morton.

When a new manager takes over a struggling team the usual tactic is to start at the back and make them hard to beat. In that respect, McKinnon has been unlucky in being denied the services of Mitchell and McGhee, who would both be a big improvement on what is currently there. Mutch is a young boy, and it's hardly the ideal situation in which to throw him in, but Fasan is costing us a goal a game and needs dropped immediately. Muirhead is just torture at right-back and Dallison and Harrison are a dodgy combination at centre-half, of the two I think Harrison has actually been slightly the better and might be just about passable if paired with McGhee. The midfield is just a desert. Paton, apart from a good display against Ayr, has been useless, but his place in the team appears to be cemented. McKee has done nothing in the past couple of games, Irving has been poor after a bright start, TOE is not up to it. Perhaps time to give Sammutt an opportunity, he cannot be much worse. Petravicius has probably been our best player recently, but if we play him thorugh the middle with Rudden there is nothing out wide, bringing on Kidd on Saturday and playing him on the right of midfield encapsulated the pausity of options there, oh for one out-and-out winger, wonder what Crunchie is up to these days.

McKinnon was a decent appointment, about as good as we could have hoped for in the circumstances, but he's hamstrung by what he has inherited. Hopefully he can maybe get in a free agent (preferably a right-back, Gary Irvine is available). The boy Rogers who is on trial appears to have the same sort of dubious CV as so many of our summer signings, is really an upgrade, who knows. If we can get to January still within touching distance then we may have the chance to make a few changes and push on. As it stands I genuinely cannot see us finishing any higher than ninth.
PEP SHITTY SHOES - GTF

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Thursday 27th 2018f September 2018 07:19:12 AM

very good summation of the situation habib
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

Sir Jones
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Sir Jones » Thursday 27th 2018f September 2018 09:45:17 AM

I don't usually make these sort of comments but Harrison is genuinely one of the worst centre halves I've seen in a Falkirk Jersey. He's useless! At least Dallison can ping a 40 yard pass.
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.

rusty_nail
First Team sub
First Team sub

Post by rusty_nail » Thursday 27th 2018f September 2018 10:57:18 AM

Sir Jones wrote:
Thursday 27th 2018f September 2018 09:45:17 AM
I don't usually make these sort of comments but Harrison is genuinely one of the worst centre halves I've seen in a Falkirk Jersey. He's useless! At least Dallison can ping a 40 yard pass.
Worse than Chris Smith or James Sharp :?:

I'm warming to Harrison even though he is pretty limited.

Sir Jones
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Sir Jones » Thursday 27th 2018f September 2018 12:04:23 PM

rusty_nail wrote:
Thursday 27th 2018f September 2018 10:57:18 AM
Sir Jones wrote:
Thursday 27th 2018f September 2018 09:45:17 AM
Worse than Chris Smith or James Sharp :?:

I'm warming to Harrison even though he is pretty limited.
Smith barely played for us. Picking between Sharp and Harrison is like picking between AIDS or cancer though.

Harrison is quite simply dug sh1t.
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.

John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by John Markie » Thursday 27th 2018f September 2018 08:28:43 PM

Stopping the rot with this squad is virtually impossible. However, when we deny ourselves any attacking options from the back (ie Robson), we are allowing teams to get off scot free from any pressure to defend from midfield. Brough and Muirhead as attacking full backs are an utter joke, and yet these guys are preferred to the likes of Robson. Additionally we have two of possibly the worst central defenders we have ever had. Harrison is terrible in almost every respect and although Dallison looks like a player he is also atrocious, being even slower than he looks - a remarkable achievement given how slow he looks. The midfield is completely bereft of talent, adventure, pace and aggression - other than the quite useless Paton who is a red card waiting to happen almost every game. The midfield also sits way too deep, and the defence are so slow, they drop off even deeper when faced with even moderate pace, so the team becomes so stretched it never operates as a unit. Inevitably the front players either get no service, poor service or are expected to create something out of nothing all by themselves. Quite difficult bearing in mind Haber is one of the front men. How to fix things with these players is virtually impossible as I said earlier, but we need to be more adventurous - start with full backs who want to get forward when they can - Russell and Robson are both better than who we've had playing for the first team so far. Get Paton out of the team and get both central midfielders further forward. Get guys with pace out wide and get them ahead of the front players whenever we can. Finally and most importantly, do not miss open goals from 6 yards, or one yard (Haber v QoS) either. On top of all that start the game with pressing all over the park whenever its possible. If we can't beat Alloa then collectively the players and manager should simply quit, if they haven't already done that.
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

Habib Utak Al Hansi
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Habib Utak Al Hansi » Friday 28th 2018f September 2018 10:52:30 AM

John Markie wrote:
Thursday 27th 2018f September 2018 08:28:43 PM
If we can't beat Alloa then collectively the players and manager should simply quit, if they haven't already done that.
You're kidding, right? He's only just been appointed and has on his hands the hardest job of any Falkirk manager I can ever remember. In an ideal world, there would be plenty of others packing their bags and heading out the door right now - try 95% of the current playing squad and Calamity Craig the Invisible CEO for starters. McKinnon is not one of them, we should be thankful he agreed to take on this monumental clusterf**k.
PEP SHITTY SHOES - GTF

rusty_nail
First Team sub
First Team sub

Post by rusty_nail » Friday 28th 2018f September 2018 11:09:37 AM

John Markie wrote:
Thursday 27th 2018f September 2018 08:28:43 PM
TL;DR It's all bleak, close the doors and go home.
We need something out of tomorrows game there is no doubt but we also need momentum. A good result to lift the players out of this rut and I think we could kick on. Another defeat and it's a spiral we're in.

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Friday 28th 2018f September 2018 03:39:50 PM

Maybe the team coach driver could crash off the Clackmannanshire Bridge and we could get New players, board and management team.
A selfless act truly worthy of a statue! :lol:
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

JaxinFalkirk
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by JaxinFalkirk » Friday 28th 2018f September 2018 05:58:36 PM

Olaf I believe you are looking for a bite so happy to oblige

you have stooped yo a new low with that
remark

Think it if you have to but sharing it lacks
class

Whilst not the best era to be a Bairn
surely things are redeemable if we will have a bit of patience

grumpyoldman
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by grumpyoldman » Friday 28th 2018f September 2018 07:00:40 PM

Putting Mutch in goals behind that defence could pretty much destroy the young boys confidence for ever
Hopefully Mitchell is fit soon

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Friday 28th 2018f September 2018 09:49:37 PM

Don’t think there is any rot outwith uninformed decisions at the top. It’s not as if this group of players started well, then things started to go wrong.
They have been guff from the get go, and McKinnon is now (hopefully) the man to get a bit of basic discipline into the team, and try everything he can to keep them in the game until he can unload as many of them as he can.....be that January, or whenever.
He won’t play players we want him to play, and he will doubtless play players he doesn’t want to as he isn’t trying to make us an attacking and exciting side.....he is simply trying to stop us losing every game we play in just about every way possible....go behind by one goal and lose, two goals behind and lose (a couple of times), three goals behind and lose, two goals behind then score one and lose, go two goals ahead and lose.
There is no rot on the park. Up to now, this squad have been pretty much delivering what they are capable off. Two or three decent players will always get dragged down by eight or nine bad ones. Until bad players aren’t the critical mass in our starting eleven, or until they come against inferior opposition(who?) then it’s just going to keep on repeating. Easily the biggest test of McKinnon’s managerial career, and probably the biggest he will ever come up against.

havenbairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by havenbairn » Saturday 29th 2018f September 2018 07:58:38 AM

The only way to stop the rot at our club is a change of ownership.

Brian Scrimegour
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Brian Scrimegour » Wednesday 03rd 2018f October 2018 07:52:23 AM

Can't believe we're giving Olaf grief for sharing a bit of humour. I very much doubt anyone will take the comment seriously as its very tongue in cheek and simply highlighting how dire our situation is.

fuzzydunlop
Under 18 sub
Under 18 sub

Post by fuzzydunlop » Thursday 11th 2018f October 2018 10:00:20 PM

Although I expect the inevitable and possible justified ‘not interested in scotland’ and ‘**** the sfa’ Comments, isn’t it just another kick in the baws for falkirk/Scotland fans that the national team seem to have some sort of psychic **** up mentality. Sh1t defence, no proven goal scorer and just crap to watch. It would be nice if the international break gave us something to cheer about but it appears even that is too much to ask...talk about football crazy, football daft...it’s turning me into a fcking basket case.