vs Ayr Utd :Post Match

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
Art Vandelay
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

vs Ayr Utd :Post Match

Post by Art Vandelay » Saturday 15th 2018f September 2018 05:03:51 PM

Not at the game and so it will be interesting to hear what went right and wrong from the folks that were there. 2-0 up at half time and I'm thinking the McKinnon revolution begins. 3-2 down at full-time and I'm thinking the ghost of Hartley still lingers over us.

So from anyone that saw the game, was there improvement? Were there signs that we could actually get something going with this lot under McKinnon once he gets a few games under his belt? I guess the ups today were that we at least managed to score including Rudden in his first game. Downs are the defence - are they all just a waste of space or is the moral just low and so as soon as Ayr scored it was panic stations. But if we could just get a result things might improve.
I was free and clear. I was living the dream. I was stripped to the waist eating a block of cheese the size of a car battery.

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Re: vs Ayr Utd :Post Match

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Saturday 15th 2018f September 2018 05:14:26 PM

wasn't at the game but the stats would suggest that at least we provided some attacking threat for the first time in the league this season. 9 shots at goal and more on target than the previous 4 together.

glad to see rudden and petravious picked over the ineffective haber and Lewis giving us speed on the break.

not sure if Russell Dunne and Greenwood are injured as not even on the bench...and Robson still not getting a game??

to lose after being up 2-0 at half time is disappointing in the extreme. looks like some green shoots there though....
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

Pete
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Pete » Saturday 15th 2018f September 2018 06:29:06 PM

Watched it on ftv. First half was excellent, just a really solid performance with two good goals.

2nd half we lost a goal after 3 minutes, think it was Irving who gave it away and it's hard to tell whether the goalie should have done better. After that it was all Ayr, 2nd goal the guy at the back post was unmarked, 3rd I've no idea as the camera didn't catch it. To be fair we came back into it and pressed for an equaliser.

A much better performance but a real sickener not getting any points after being 2 up. If we hadnt lost a goal so early into the 2nd half then I reckon we would have won.

Habib Utak Al Hansi
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Habib Utak Al Hansi » Saturday 15th 2018f September 2018 07:53:20 PM

First half was the best we have played all season (not hard admittedly), despite another weird team selection. Closed down well, cut off any supply line to Shankland, workrate was noticeably higher. Not great, but a vast improvement. For the first goal Irving played in Petravicius, he crossed to the near post and Rudden tapped in. Second goal was decent play by Petravicius who cut inside and found the corner pretty easily. Ayr rarely threatened in the first half and at half-time the game was ours to lose. Which was exactly what we had done by 4.25. Irving overplayed, they scored, and one minute into the 2nd half every Falkirk fan knew what was coming. We basically s**t it and were murdered for the next 25 minutes. Couple of last ditch tackles from Paton and Dallison, but we were never holding out against that pressure, and at 3-2 that was pretty much it, apart from one excellent shot from Paton which drew a decent save from their keeper.

Rudden looked like he has plenty of endeavour and work rate, but needs balls played in for him to run onto, rather than the aimless high balls which constituted service for most of the second half. Credit where it's due, Petrivicius worried them with his pace, even if his control leaves a lot to be desired. Him and Paton, also much maligned, were two of our better players today. Kidd and McKee were anonymous for most of the match. Big negative - with that defence we're going down. Would quite happily never see any of that back four or goalkeeper again. Muirhead has long outstayed his welcome, yet is guaranteed a game and the captaincy every week it seems. No idea why Brough was preferred to Robson (or even Russell), a joke of a selection. Dallison and Harrison are just an awful combination, they collapsed as soon as Ayr turned the screw, both mentally and physically weak.

Also find it slighty concerning that, despite McKinnon saying it's a clean slate for everyone, the likes of Russell and Greenwood are seeing no game time at all. I'd even prefer Russell at right-back or centre half, and Greenwood could not be any less effective than Lewis, who is just hopeless, if he was employed by Watford I'd love to know what as, it could not possibly have been as a professional footballer. We need to be scouring the free transfer market to see if there is someone, anyone out there who could come in, even short-term, and improve that defence. Seen the name Gary Irvine mentioned a couple of times, he's a respectable enough right-back at this level. If we could get him, play Robson at left-back and maybe even give Russell a chance at centre half alongside one of the diddys out their today until McGhee is fit. I'd also like to see Mitchelll get a proper run in goal, but he never seems to be fit, Fassan does not convince at all.
PEP SHITTY SHOES - GTF

yogisbairns
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by yogisbairns » Sunday 16th 2018f September 2018 12:53:32 AM

Whilst we never looked to be on top the first half, we created a few chances and converted two of them. The first ten minutes of the second half would be crucial, as even my granny would have known that Ayr would come out all guns blazing. Keep it tight, and see the rest of the game out. Sadly, this was even out of their range, mentality and ability. Mark Kerr strolled through the game which is another inditement of our missing midfield. At the end, we were lucky to come away with the score as it was. The only positive to take out of today is the fact that we doubled the scoring from the season in 1 game #sarcasm. We've all really run out of words to describe this bunch of imposters for the season so far.
Imagedont matter if your not good at anything, as long as you look as if you know what your doing!(Remember, image is all)!

kent brockman
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by kent brockman » Sunday 16th 2018f September 2018 01:56:16 PM

I was there and I thought we played really well in the first half and deserved to go in 2-0 ahead.

The half time talk should have been about keeping it tight but when Ayr scored after just 3 minutes the floodgates opened.
Its not the taking part that counts......its the WINNING.

Sir Jones
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Sir Jones » Sunday 16th 2018f September 2018 02:48:18 PM

Watched on Falkirk TV.

Thought we looked pretty comfortable in the first half. Sure Ayr weren't at the races but much of that came from us shutting them down well and imposing ourselves on the game. Looked good for our lead in my opinion.

Second half was an odd one. I don't think we were an utter shambles for the full half - just 20-25 minutes or so but boy was that a dreadful period. Ayr ripped us to shreds. I was watching with a mate and the minute that first goal went in we both knew it was curtains. The extent that heads went down was staggering.

Our midfield has been in for a lot of flack from fans after the match but it was incredibly difficult for them to get a foothold and to calm things down when playing in front of that backline. The "clearing" headers would travel no further than 4 or 5 yards. They constantly slashed at the ball nervously to clear it any way possible (and failed). They also gave away a number of stupid fouls around the box. I struggle to name a poorer centre half pairing and Harrison is, for me at least, the poorest centre half I've seen in a Falkirk jersey.

If Ray can keep the heads up and focus on the positives from yesterday then I can see us picking up some points but the next few weeks are incredibly crucial what with Alloa and Dunfermline coming up. For some, the season is already over. Well, it sure as f*ck will be if we don't pick up 4 points from the next 3.

A lot of work needed to sort out the spine of this side especially at the back.
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.

Pete
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Pete » Sunday 16th 2018f September 2018 06:22:23 PM

Watched the goals back. Goalie looks like he should have done much better with the first, and generally all over the place for the third.

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Sunday 16th 2018f September 2018 11:18:26 PM

Real sense of what we got first half was about as good as this bunch are capable of delivering. Clear evidence in every single game this season that they can kind of keep their act together for 45 minutes or so, but for no more than that. When they start to feck up, that defence (especially Dallison, Muirhead and Harrison) do it better than anyone. They are honkingly bad, and come the next cull, Muirhead has to go along with the other dross.
In Kidd and Muirhead, Hartley kept two of the biggest culprits we had, then simply brought in more dross to the point where two kids (Irving and Rudden) now look like our best (other than Robson and McGhee).
I feel for McKinnon. He has inherited quite possibly the worst full time squad ever to compete in the Championship.
This feels just like Totten’s last season.

John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by John Markie » Monday 17th 2018f September 2018 08:34:43 PM

Duncan Freemason wrote:
Sunday 16th 2018f September 2018 11:18:26 PM
Real sense of what we got first half was about as good as this bunch are capable of delivering. Clear evidence in every single game this season that they can kind of keep their act together for 45 minutes or so, but for no more than that. When they start to feck up, that defence (especially Dallison, Muirhead and Harrison) do it better than anyone. They are honkingly bad, and come the next cull, Muirhead has to go along with the other dross.
In Kidd and Muirhead, Hartley kept two of the biggest culprits we had, then simply brought in more dross to the point where two kids (Irving and Rudden) now look like our best (other than Robson and McGhee).
I feel for McKinnon. He has inherited quite possibly the worst full time squad ever to compete in the Championship.
This feels just like Totten’s last season.
What really gets my goat is losing some decent kids along the way that would certainly be better than the likes of the three duds you name above. Jonny Mitchell, for example, would have been a shining star in that back line. So angry that we gave him away.
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

Bainsfordbairn
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Bainsfordbairn » Monday 17th 2018f September 2018 10:16:47 PM

[quote="John Markie]
What really gets my goat is losing some decent kids along the way that would certainly be better than the likes of the three duds you name above. Jonny Mitchell, for example, would have been a shining star in that back line. So angry that we gave him away.
[/quote]

We didn't give him away. His contract was up and while we wanted him to sign a new one he preferred to keep his options open. Then when Brentford came in he chose to leave.

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Tuesday 18th 2018f September 2018 01:15:21 PM

Bainsfordbairn wrote:
Monday 17th 2018f September 2018 10:16:47 PM
[quote="John Markie]
We didn't give him away. His contract was up and while we wanted him to sign a new one he preferred to keep his options open. Then when Brentford came in he chose to leave.
[/quote]

Did we get a development fee for him?

Bainsfordbairn
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Bainsfordbairn » Tuesday 18th 2018f September 2018 05:25:01 PM

I'm pretty sure the website story of his departure had a line about Falkirk receiving a fee of some sort, aye.

Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Ricey » Tuesday 18th 2018f September 2018 09:02:04 PM

What’s ridiculous is the BOD had allowed a player who represented Scotland at every level from u15 upward to run his contract down. Yet another sign of their utter incompetence

Bainsfordbairn
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Bainsfordbairn » Wednesday 19th 2018f September 2018 12:44:21 PM

Ricey wrote:
Tuesday 18th 2018f September 2018 09:02:04 PM
What’s ridiculous is the BOD had allowed a player who represented Scotland at every level from u15 upward to run his contract down. Yet another sign of their utter incompetence
That's a fair statement if the board decide contract extensions and not the manager.

And then if the board waited until the last minute before offering an extension rather than doing it earlier, as for example happened with Robbie Mutch. And Mitchell then decided to sit on the early offer rather than signing it.

I don't know if those scenarios are accurate. Do you?

Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Ricey » Wednesday 19th 2018f September 2018 10:25:14 PM

To be honest I don’t care . I realise you are a board apologist which must be an ever increasingly difficult job but to my mind if I was on the board and saw a player like Mitchell coming through I’d be damn sure to make it my business to be all over his contract situation. So no need to know about scenarios

John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by John Markie » Thursday 20th 2018f September 2018 08:35:05 PM

Ricey wrote:
Wednesday 19th 2018f September 2018 10:25:14 PM
To be honest I don’t care . I realise you are a board apologist which must be an ever increasingly difficult job but to my mind if I was on the board and saw a player like Mitchell coming through I’d be damn sure to make it my business to be all over his contract situation. So no need to know about scenarios
Exactly my point. This lad was better than the likes of Muirhead, Grant and many others, yet instead of being promoted to 1st team and being offered a decent contract went elsewhere. The BoD appointed Hartley - they head hunted him as he never applied for job - so they must accept the responsibility as it was ultimately the BoD's decision to get Hartley onboard, and then trusted him with the sell off. Heads should roll in the Bod.
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

Brian Scrimegour
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Brian Scrimegour » Friday 21st 2018f September 2018 11:36:37 AM

As far as I'm aware all we got for McBride and Mitchell were sell on clauses. Nae cash up front even though we must've been due some.

Bainsfordbairn
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Bainsfordbairn » Saturday 22nd 2018f September 2018 10:39:37 AM

Regardless of what you think of me, you still miss the point. Mitchell CHOSE to leave.

We may well have been all over his contract situation. We may well have done our utmost to ensure his contract didn’t run down.

I don’t know. Neither do you, otherwise you would have posted the details to back up your point.

I do know – or at least I strongly believe – that it’s nonsense to blame the board when a player makes a decision to move on. In that case we can blame them for the departure of Vaulks, Farid, Taylor etc. In fact who the hell decided to let Stainrod go??? Why didn’t we “make it our business to be all over his contract situation"?

There’s plenty of ammunition to use against the board if that’s what you want. Players exercising freedom of choice is not one of them.

Sir Jones
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Sir Jones » Saturday 22nd 2018f September 2018 01:05:23 PM

Bainsfordbairn wrote:
Saturday 22nd 2018f September 2018 10:39:37 AM
There’s plenty of ammunition to use against the board if that’s what you want. Players exercising freedom of choice is not one of them.
Got to agree 100%. Finding this blame game of the BoD when players leave to be very odd to be honest. Like you say, plenty of other things to pick them apart over.
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.