Ross county v falkirk 1st Sept 18

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
User avatar
Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team superstar
First Team superstar
Posts: 1506
Joined: Tuesday 03rd 2007f July 2007 09:25:44 AM
Location: Bridge of Allan

Ross county v falkirk 1st Sept 18

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Saturday 01st 2018f September 2018 03:10:41 PM

McKinnon saying on radio that young picked the side today. he's observing from the stand.

not the side I would have picked. hoping for the best fearing the worst
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

Tom
Under 18 first team
Under 18 first team
Posts: 62
Joined: Tuesday 14th 2014f October 2014 04:11:46 PM

Re: Ross county v falkirk 1st Sept 18

Post by Tom » Saturday 01st 2018f September 2018 04:56:45 PM

Ross county 2-0 falkirk
4 defeats on the trot
good luck mckinnon

Habib Utak Al Hansi
Reserve first team
Reserve first team
Posts: 262
Joined: Tuesday 14th 2009f April 2009 07:24:59 PM

Re: Ross county v falkirk 1st Sept 18

Post by Habib Utak Al Hansi » Saturday 01st 2018f September 2018 05:00:51 PM

Worst start to a league season since 1956/57. 0 points, 1 goal in 4 games. Frightening. By all accounts a bit more fight about the team but god, if we're clinging to that, it just demonstrates the depths to which we have sunk. What a job McKinnon has on his hands with this bunch.
PEP SHITTY SHOES - GTF

BeanCountingBairn
Reserve first team
Reserve first team
Posts: 340
Joined: Monday 05th 2007f February 2007 06:46:43 PM

Re: Ross county v falkirk 1st Sept 18

Post by BeanCountingBairn » Saturday 01st 2018f September 2018 05:29:48 PM

Ayr United turn down 2 bids of £175k for Shankland as he’s a vital part of their team. If only our Board had adopted a similar approach over the years then maybe we’d have got promoted? Instead we now have a total shambles. Maybe the Board will introduce soft loans to somehow get us out of this mess and then we can sell players (if there’s any we can sell) to get them their money back? Deja vu.

User avatar
Pete
International Sub
International Sub
Posts: 4982
Joined: Monday 01st 2004f March 2004 05:57:30 PM

Re: Ross county v falkirk 1st Sept 18

Post by Pete » Saturday 01st 2018f September 2018 05:35:27 PM

Watched on ftv. Under pressure for long spells but the defence stayed fairly resolute until an error by Robson.

Main concern is that we create very few chances and struggle to retain possession due to lack of movement and making the wrong choices, it just puts the defence under too much pressure.

Haber was awful, couldn't hold the ball up, couldn't pass. Lewis ran all day but he gets zero service and when he does his back to goal and invariably loses it. We play wingbacks but they barely get past the halfway line. The midfield were neither here nor there. When we do get forward there's no support with no runners from mifield

Massive job for mackinnon as he needs to find a system which will allow this group to attack as a team consistently.

User avatar
Kiddy
International Manager
International Manager
Posts: 20409
Joined: Wednesday 03rd 2004f March 2004 01:03:19 AM
Location: Bellsdyke

Re: Ross county v falkirk 1st Sept 18

Post by Kiddy » Saturday 01st 2018f September 2018 05:58:19 PM

BeanCountingBairn wrote:
Saturday 01st 2018f September 2018 05:29:48 PM
Ayr United turn down 2 bids of £175k for Shankland as he’s a vital part of their team. If only our Board had adopted a similar approach over the years then maybe we’d have got promoted? Instead we now have a total shambles. Maybe the Board will introduce soft loans to somehow get us out of this mess and then we can sell players (if there’s any we can sell) to get them their money back? Deja vu.
I see Shankland's streak seems to have deserted him today?
No financial regulation, no corporate governance, no enlarged divisions, no summer football, no single ruling body, no new cash, no integrity. Behold the 'bright new dawn' for Scottish football,

User avatar
Kiddy
International Manager
International Manager
Posts: 20409
Joined: Wednesday 03rd 2004f March 2004 01:03:19 AM
Location: Bellsdyke

Re: Ross county v falkirk 1st Sept 18

Post by Kiddy » Saturday 01st 2018f September 2018 06:00:28 PM

Habib Utak Al Hansi wrote:
Saturday 01st 2018f September 2018 05:00:51 PM
Worst start to a league season since 1956/57. 0 points, 1 goal in 4 games. Frightening. By all accounts a bit more fight about the team but god, if we're clinging to that, it just demonstrates the depths to which we have sunk. What a job McKinnon has on his hands with this bunch.
Yet only 3 points behind the Pars & a single point worse off than last season, where we had a squad that finished in the play offs the previous season. :shock:
No financial regulation, no corporate governance, no enlarged divisions, no summer football, no single ruling body, no new cash, no integrity. Behold the 'bright new dawn' for Scottish football,

Falkirkfan6871
International Sub
International Sub
Posts: 2550
Joined: Wednesday 04th 2009f March 2009 11:02:16 PM

Re: Ross county v falkirk 1st Sept 18

Post by Falkirkfan6871 » Saturday 01st 2018f September 2018 07:05:02 PM

I hope he can do what Hartley did and get some loan deals in.

Ship many of them out in January.

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar
Posts: 1684
Joined: Monday 17th 2010f May 2010 05:28:07 AM

Re: Ross county v falkirk 1st Sept 18

Post by Duncan Freemason » Saturday 01st 2018f September 2018 07:10:08 PM

Nothing can now happen until January other than players who are currently free agent status.

Habib Utak Al Hansi
Reserve first team
Reserve first team
Posts: 262
Joined: Tuesday 14th 2009f April 2009 07:24:59 PM

Re: Ross county v falkirk 1st Sept 18

Post by Habib Utak Al Hansi » Saturday 01st 2018f September 2018 07:24:25 PM

Falkirkfan6871 wrote:
Saturday 01st 2018f September 2018 07:05:02 PM
I hope he can do what Hartley did and get some loan deals in.

Ship many of them out in January.
The emergency loan window is no longer an option, so he won't be in a position to do what Hartley did in signing the likes of Longridge and Tummilty at the back end of last year prior to the January transfer window opening. We're stuck with what we have :( :(

He's going to have sift through the absolute rubble of a squad that Hartley and Superscout have bequeathed him, somehow select a core group of players he can have at least some faith in (at a push Mitchell, McGhee, Robson, Russell, Irving, Greenwood, Rudden and perhaps Haber and Sammut. McKee might even be worth a shout, cannot be any worse) and decide on a shape and formation that allows them to play to their strengths. Not easy considering we have no right-back, no right midfielder and no striker worth a carrot (I'll exclude Rudden who has not played yet and appears to be highly rated by Rangers).Hopefully he has enough about to him to very quickly realise that the likes of Harrison, Paton, Petravicius, TOE, Mackin, Lewis, Turner, Brough have absolutely no business being professional footballers even at this relatively low level and we will never have to suffer them again.

An utter, utter shambles, for which Hartley has rightly paid, and which should have seen Superscout, Laing and Campbell out the door with him last Monday evening.
PEP SHITTY SHOES - GTF

Romaines of the Day
Reserve sub
Reserve sub
Posts: 159
Joined: Friday 21st 2010f May 2010 02:12:22 PM

Re: Ross county v falkirk 1st Sept 18

Post by Romaines of the Day » Saturday 01st 2018f September 2018 07:31:19 PM

Glad that we managed a half without conceding a goal. As for the players that we need, if we actually got this lot from other clubs, and im still amazed that we paid money for Mackin, then we must be able to find something decent in the free agent category. Let's see how Ray handles this (especially with our due diligence challenged board)

User avatar
Kiddy
International Manager
International Manager
Posts: 20409
Joined: Wednesday 03rd 2004f March 2004 01:03:19 AM
Location: Bellsdyke

Re: Ross county v falkirk 1st Sept 18

Post by Kiddy » Saturday 01st 2018f September 2018 09:34:32 PM

Habib Utak Al Hansi wrote:
Saturday 01st 2018f September 2018 07:24:25 PM
Falkirkfan6871 wrote:
Saturday 01st 2018f September 2018 07:05:02 PM
I hope he can do what Hartley did and get some loan deals in.

Ship many of them out in January.
The emergency loan window is no longer an option, so he won't be in a position to do what Hartley did in signing the likes of Longridge and Tummilty at the back end of last year prior to the January transfer window opening. We're stuck with what we have :( :(

He's going to have sift through the absolute rubble of a squad that Hartley and Superscout have bequeathed him, somehow select a core group of players he can have at least some faith in (at a push Mitchell, McGhee, Robson, Russell, Irving, Greenwood, Rudden and perhaps Haber and Sammut. McKee might even be worth a shout, cannot be any worse) and decide on a shape and formation that allows them to play to their strengths. Not easy considering we have no right-back, no right midfielder and no striker worth a carrot (I'll exclude Rudden who has not played yet and appears to be highly rated by Rangers).Hopefully he has enough about to him to very quickly realise that the likes of Harrison, Paton, Petravicius, TOE, Mackin, Lewis, Turner, Brough have absolutely no business being professional footballers even at this relatively low level and we will never have to suffer them again.

An utter, utter shambles, for which Hartley has rightly paid, and which should have seen Superscout, Laing and Campbell out the door with him last Monday evening.
Kidd's a RB & Dunne's a right sided midfielder. As you say, McKee too might well find himself back in favour, with the change in manager.
No financial regulation, no corporate governance, no enlarged divisions, no summer football, no single ruling body, no new cash, no integrity. Behold the 'bright new dawn' for Scottish football,

User avatar
Pete
International Sub
International Sub
Posts: 4982
Joined: Monday 01st 2004f March 2004 05:57:30 PM

Re: Ross county v falkirk 1st Sept 18

Post by Pete » Saturday 01st 2018f September 2018 09:41:16 PM

Paul caddis was released by Blackburn. Would he be out of our price range?

Falkirkbairn90
Reserve first team
Reserve first team
Posts: 206
Joined: Monday 06th 2015f July 2015 08:24:11 AM

Re: Ross county v falkirk 1st Sept 18

Post by Falkirkbairn90 » Saturday 01st 2018f September 2018 09:52:46 PM

Pete wrote:
Saturday 01st 2018f September 2018 09:41:16 PM
Paul caddis was released by Blackburn. Would he be out of our price range?
Blackburn to Falkirk? You can dare to dream

User avatar
Pete
International Sub
International Sub
Posts: 4982
Joined: Monday 01st 2004f March 2004 05:57:30 PM

Re: Ross county v falkirk 1st Sept 18

Post by Pete » Saturday 01st 2018f September 2018 10:13:49 PM

It's better than Blackburn to on the dole :D

User avatar
Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub
Posts: 4684
Joined: Tuesday 20th 2004f January 2004 06:30:59 PM

Re: Ross county v falkirk 1st Sept 18

Post by Olaf Thom » Sunday 02nd 2018f September 2018 03:14:01 AM

I'm going to be a contrarian here.

I think we have some decent players, we just have very inexperienced players, they don't know the rough and tumble of pro football.
This would be fine and dandy, had we been looking to consolidate our place in the championship, unfortunately for them, we should be in the premier league with our support and expectations weigh heavy.
Because of our stature we have marketing, this results in "your club" or "Our Time" nonsense.

Our players should be told, next stop is a Minimum wage in the service sector. If you cannot shine in the Scottish championship then professional football is not for you!
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

User avatar
Sir Jones
International Manager
International Manager
Posts: 15914
Joined: Thursday 05th 2004f August 2004 12:42:08 PM

Re: Ross county v falkirk 1st Sept 18

Post by Sir Jones » Sunday 02nd 2018f September 2018 11:31:03 AM

Olaf Thom wrote:
Sunday 02nd 2018f September 2018 03:14:01 AM
I'm going to be a contrarian here.

I think we have some decent players, we just have very inexperienced players, they don't know the rough and tumble of pro football.
This would be fine and dandy, had we been looking to consolidate our place in the championship, unfortunately for them, we should be in the premier league with our support and expectations weigh heavy.
Because of our stature we have marketing, this results in "your club" or "Our Time" nonsense.

Our players should be told, next stop is a Minimum wage in the service sector. If you cannot shine in the Scottish championship then professional football is not for you!
That's where I'm leaning. The signings made had me very optimistic for this season. On paper, things were looking rosy.

We're only 3 points of 8th. That has to be the objective just now. We've somehow also not got the worst defense in the league. Another positive. But 1 goal in 4 league games is about as honking as it gets. If Ray can get wingbacks doing their thing properly and a midfield that's pushed 10-20 yards further up the pitch then who knows how quickly he could turn things around with this lot.

I suspect that when it clicks (and sure to f*ck it will click) then you'll see us batter the odd team now and then.
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar
Posts: 1684
Joined: Monday 17th 2010f May 2010 05:28:07 AM

Re: Ross county v falkirk 1st Sept 18

Post by Duncan Freemason » Sunday 02nd 2018f September 2018 01:59:45 PM

Got to disagree. I think the only passable players are the ones who were already there, or a few of the ones that superscout had nothing to do with.
The rest might make it, but it will be at a lower level. They have neither the skill nor the physicality for the league in which they find themselves.

That actually drags the realistic first team squad to something like 13 players, with a couple of them being goalies.
Only upside is we have absolutely no one that is a touchstone for the team. Just about anyone can be injured, and it doesn’t make things any worse.

There are some like Petra, Turner, Paton who shouldn’t see a Falkirk shirt again. There’s the likes of Dallison who needs a long hard think on whether he is willing to grow a pair for this division, and Harrison who needs to forget bone structure....he isn’t as fit as he should be, and is a stone overweight....no more excuses.
TOE I feel a wee bit sorry for. He is what he is, and is probably a cracking player at amateur level. Not his fault someone offered him a contract, and told him he was better than he actually is.
It’s been said that SuperMitch was given a budget, and that’s what was available for that money. That might be the case, then he should have come back to FFC, and said “sorry, either you up the money, or I cannot give you the quality you need”. Instead, he pocketed the commission, and walked away.
Hartley said SuperMitch was “crucial”. More bollocks as we all now know.

John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team
Posts: 440
Joined: Saturday 13th 2016f February 2016 09:51:27 PM

Re: Ross county v falkirk 1st Sept 18

Post by John Markie » Sunday 02nd 2018f September 2018 11:00:59 PM

The real problem from what I have seen is the back 3. Because they are so slow, they drop off the opposition way to early leaving a huge gap between the back 3/5 and the midfield. This gap is then exploited by any half decent team, especially as we have geriatric Paton treading water trying to backtrack, TOE trying to stay upright in any slight breeze and whoever else they play in there not able to compete against 3/4/5 opponents. Everything stems from the lack of compactness in the team - all down to these three utterly useless centre backs unable to run the length of themselves in under 20 seconds. Nothings going to get better until we make changes to that defence and try and inject some pace. Since we got rid of the one kid who we could have drafted in (J Mitchell) to steady the ship, we are looking at a long weary wait until January. We will do well to avoid relegation this season.
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

User avatar
Creative Redemption
Reserve first team
Reserve first team
Posts: 412
Joined: Saturday 22nd 2010f May 2010 09:37:22 AM
Location: Secaucus, New Jersey

Re: Ross county v falkirk 1st Sept 18

Post by Creative Redemption » Monday 03rd 2018f September 2018 01:22:51 PM

John Markie wrote:
Sunday 02nd 2018f September 2018 11:00:59 PM
The real problem from what I have seen is the back 3. Because they are so slow, they drop off the opposition way to early leaving a huge gap between the back 3/5 and the midfield. This gap is then exploited by any half decent team, especially as we have geriatric Paton treading water trying to backtrack, TOE trying to stay upright in any slight breeze and whoever else they play in there not able to compete against 3/4/5 opponents. Everything stems from the lack of compactness in the team - all down to these three utterly useless centre backs unable to run the length of themselves in under 20 seconds. Nothings going to get better until we make changes to that defence and try and inject some pace. Since we got rid of the one kid who we could have drafted in (J Mitchell) to steady the ship, we are looking at a long weary wait until January. We will do well to avoid relegation this season.
I agree. First things first is to steady the ship. Stop losing goals, go back to a back 4, stay solid, and build from there.
I don't think we should look for anything else other than trying to consolidate in this league AGAIN this year.
I reckon McKinnon will realise that after one game, and look to make us hard to beat. We wont be pretty, but we should be solid.
I will bite your hand off for that, which shows how far, and how quickly we have sunk.
Here comes the doom.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests