Hartley’s gone

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Re: Hartley’s gone

Post by John Markie » Tuesday 28th 2018f August 2018 07:46:21 PM

I was hoping for an application from Martin Rennie, but thats too much to hope for. No more ex Hearts w@nkers PLEASE.
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

rusty_nail
First Team sub
First Team sub

Post by rusty_nail » Tuesday 28th 2018f August 2018 07:53:18 PM

Kiddy wrote:
Tuesday 28th 2018f August 2018 07:41:02 PM
rusty_nail wrote:
Tuesday 28th 2018f August 2018 07:31:12 PM
Pete wrote:
Tuesday 28th 2018f August 2018 07:02:39 PM
Sportsound has McCall and Hughes on. Points of notes

- Applications already received from throughout uk and Europe
- Hughes rules himself out
- McCall did not rule himself out, could easily have said no but didn't
Heard that as well :(

I also took an inference that he believes the lack of football acumen at board level is problematic and I can understand why he’s distanced himself from it.

Onto the next ...
Could infer his lack of football acumen being problematic. As he ditched his trust in the youth system & recruited Dad's army!
The rest, as they say, is history.
It seems some of the Falkirk support want to have it both ways! He’s lambasted for ditching youth (not sure he did to be honest) and yet we moan when too many kids were played and rubbish the ones who come in mostly.

He signed McCann, Lovell, McNamara etc to supplement the academy guys he had brought into the team and guys like that cost money. It didn’t work out but that team got us to within a whisker of winning the cup final remember.
Contemplating the future of One F in Falkirk

lewfal
International Sub
International Sub

Post by lewfal » Tuesday 28th 2018f August 2018 08:07:20 PM

rusty_nail wrote:
Tuesday 28th 2018f August 2018 07:53:18 PM
Kiddy wrote:
Tuesday 28th 2018f August 2018 07:41:02 PM

Could infer his lack of football acumen being problematic. As he ditched his trust in the youth system & recruited Dad's army!
The rest, as they say, is history.
It seems some of the Falkirk support want to have it both ways! He’s lambasted for ditching youth (not sure he did to be honest) and yet we moan when too many kids were played and rubbish the ones who come in mostly.

He signed McCann, Lovell, McNamara etc to supplement the academy guys he had brought into the team and guys like that cost money. It didn’t work out but that team got us to within a whisker of winning the cup final remember.
He also demanded a massive bonus for him and Rice the day before the 2009 cup final, even though he already had Hibs lined up. The guy is a tool

rusty_nail
First Team sub
First Team sub

Post by rusty_nail » Tuesday 28th 2018f August 2018 08:22:48 PM

With all sincerity Lewis, he may be a tool but he is a tool that has achieved more than the names being banded around since the weekend :)

It's academic anyway as he doesn't want the job.

Romaines of the Day
Reserve sub
Reserve sub

Post by Romaines of the Day » Tuesday 28th 2018f August 2018 08:28:29 PM

Ricey wrote:
Tuesday 28th 2018f August 2018 07:42:23 PM
Club have requested permission to speak to McCall and this has been granted. McCall unsure whether he would accept as he was treated poorly in his eyes on a previous occasion when he thought the job was his.
Can we make sure he smuggles Shankland into the team too?

Falkirkbairn90
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Falkirkbairn90 » Tuesday 28th 2018f August 2018 08:37:43 PM

Yogi isn't coming back, I think people could argue til they are blue in the face about him. He divides opinion. I thought he did well for a long time with us but I also thought he was a stubborn bugger. He got us into Europe but was 22 minutes away from relegating us the previous week. I personally don't want him back but that's not to say he wouldn't do well. I think McCall would be a sound appointment. He knows the club, the fans like him (for the most part) and he's doing a great job at Ayr. A chance for him to earn more money here and potentially go to the SPL in a couple years could be enough to make him go for it...

rusty_nail
First Team sub
First Team sub

Post by rusty_nail » Tuesday 28th 2018f August 2018 08:58:33 PM

Falkirkbairn90 wrote:
Tuesday 28th 2018f August 2018 08:37:43 PM
Yogi isn't coming back, I think people could argue til they are blue in the face about him. He divides opinion. I thought he did well for a long time with us but I also thought he was a stubborn bugger. He got us into Europe but was 22 minutes away from relegating us the previous week. I personally don't want him back but that's not to say he wouldn't do well. I think McCall would be a sound appointment. He knows the club, the fans like him (for the most part) and he's doing a great job at Ayr. A chance for him to earn more money here and potentially go to the SPL in a couple years could be enough to make him go for it...
That's what I find absurd about the whole Yogi hating from the fanbase. His whole Falkirk management is being condensed into that final season and timeframe disregarding everything else he did.

Falkirkbairn90
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Falkirkbairn90 » Tuesday 28th 2018f August 2018 09:35:11 PM

rusty_nail wrote:
Tuesday 28th 2018f August 2018 08:58:33 PM
Falkirkbairn90 wrote:
That's what I find absurd about the whole Yogi hating from the fanbase. His whole Falkirk management is being condensed into that final season and timeframe disregarding everything else he did.
I summed his tenure up in a few sentences. I don't think that defines his time with us. I'm grateful to Yogi as he gave us an easy on the eye footballing style with some great players too but he was frustrating as hell. I remember we were getting beat at Killie and Riera was on the bench. We were screaming for him but he put Aafes on instead in that position who was a RB. He was basically sticking the middle finger up at us and showing us he was boss. As I say, he did well for a long time but was a stubborn bugger.

Sir Jones
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Sir Jones » Tuesday 28th 2018f August 2018 09:45:34 PM

Ricey wrote:
Tuesday 28th 2018f August 2018 07:42:23 PM
Club have requested permission to speak to McCall and this has been granted. McCall unsure whether he would accept as he was treated poorly in his eyes on a previous occasion when he thought the job was his.
This will be the time that he was lined up to replace May until the club found out about his utterly ridiculous gambling problems/debt?!
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.

Sir Jones
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Sir Jones » Tuesday 28th 2018f August 2018 09:51:05 PM

rusty_nail wrote:
Tuesday 28th 2018f August 2018 08:58:33 PM
Falkirkbairn90 wrote:
Yogi, like McCall, did well thanks to some fortuitous signings. He absolutely deserves credit for making Latapy happen but being brutally honest must of his success came out of Latapy. Without being able to call on talented mates a Hughes return would be disastrous.

I can live with how he departed. I quite enjoyed his possession based football too. But without significant backing, the guy falls to pieces or goes on a giant huff.

Not the right appointment and glad he ruled himself out.
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.

krul2
Under 18 superstar
Under 18 superstar

Post by krul2 » Wednesday 29th 2018f August 2018 08:25:11 AM

John Markie wrote:
Tuesday 28th 2018f August 2018 07:46:21 PM
I was hoping for an application from Martin Rennie, but thats too much to hope for. No more ex Hearts w@nkers PLEASE.
With you on the bit about Martin Rennie.
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

rusty_nail
First Team sub
First Team sub

Post by rusty_nail » Wednesday 29th 2018f August 2018 09:38:43 AM

I'm not sure why there is the clamour for Rennie other than A) He is a local lad B) He is not from the list of usual suspects.

Appointing him would be a gamble akin to the one made with Eddie May as he doesn't know the league and players.

He has also been used to operating in the US where the finances at their college levels make our budget minuscule in comparison and having looked at his current position at a team in the USL (league below MLS) I find it hard to believe he'd swap that opportunity to come and manage us in the Scottish Championship especially in the situation we currently find ourselves in.

I'd say the unrealistic appointment of Hopkin has more mileage than attracting Martin Rennie!

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Wednesday 29th 2018f August 2018 11:28:58 AM

I wouldn't want Rennie, he doesn't know the market and would be unable to bring in anyone he knows due to where he's worked.
I hope to hell its not Mcintyre, hes done average at best everywhere he's been; he was at Dunfermline when they were splashing the cash and megabucks Ross County, I thought he was lucky to get the County job after being okay with Queen of the south.

Don't know who should get the job, its a lot easier to say who shouldn't. I'd be content with Hopkin or McCall. Cannot afford to roll the dice with some wacky random either.
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

Art Vandelay
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Art Vandelay » Wednesday 29th 2018f August 2018 11:44:23 AM

Hey it's all about opinions this game and for what mine is worth I'm stunned that people would want Pressley or Yogi back. Pressley in particular did nothing with us. He should never have been given the job after we got relegated at Kilmarnock with his leadership of team that went down without a fight. And pretty much the rest of his time with us was, well meh. And after he left us, what did he do - nothing of any note.

Yogi I can see why some have blue tinted specs on. Loved him as a player, for a large part loved him as a manager, but as others have stated, and I'm sure many have forgotten, he became very frustrating at times in the last couple of seasons. When he left his time at Falkirk was done and it was the right decision to leave. I don't recall many fans being unhappy at the time he left as most felt his time was up with us. Things have moved on, including coaching techniques, players, attitudes, which is just a fact of life and returning to Yogi would be the wrong move.

I'm fully behind the McCall move. Yes I may have the blue tinted specs on for that and some will argue if Yogi shouldn't return because things have moved on then why should we go back to McCall. But here is a guy who was great as a player and manager for us. Left, quite rightly to further his career and earn about 4x his wage (which I would certainly have done as well), hit some personal issues and a downturn in his career, but has come out the other side and resurrected himself in football, and doing a good job in a current team. To me if he would leave Ayr then make it happen.

At the end of the day every single appointment is a gamble and it doesn't matter who you appoint, there is no crystal ball to say that it will definitely work. Heck even Pep would be a gamble, yes there is maybe more of a chance it would work but it's no guarantee. Pretty much the only guarantee for managers are that at some point they'll get sacked.
Last edited by Art Vandelay on Wednesday 29th 2018f August 2018 11:46:20 AM, edited 1 time in total.
I was free and clear. I was living the dream. I was stripped to the waist eating a block of cheese the size of a car battery.

Pete
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Pete » Wednesday 29th 2018f August 2018 11:46:10 AM

Sun Twitter feed claiming that donatti, Lee Clark and Stuart Taylor have shown an interest.

Habib Utak Al Hansi
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Habib Utak Al Hansi » Wednesday 29th 2018f August 2018 01:12:27 PM

Pete wrote:
Wednesday 29th 2018f August 2018 11:46:10 AM
Sun Twitter feed claiming that donatti, Lee Clark and Stuart Taylor have shown an interest.
Shudder. Bizarre names tbh (Donati?!) Clark is a ludicrous character, I actually wondered if Hartley was following his Killie
Blueprint where he brought in a job lot of unknowns from England to similarly disastrous consequences. It's no job for a rookie.
PEP SHITTY SHOES - GTF

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Wednesday 29th 2018f August 2018 04:20:35 PM

Art Vandelay wrote:
Wednesday 29th 2018f August 2018 11:44:23 AM
Hey it's all about opinions this game and for what mine is worth I'm stunned that people would want Pressley or Yogi back. Pressley in particular did nothing with us. He should never have been given the job after we got relegated at Kilmarnock with his leadership of team that went down without a fight. And pretty much the rest of his time with us was, well meh. And after he left us, what did he do - nothing of any note.

Yogi I can see why some have blue tinted specs on. Loved him as a player, for a large part loved him as a manager, but as others have stated, and I'm sure many have forgotten, he became very frustrating at times in the last couple of seasons. When he left his time at Falkirk was done and it was the right decision to leave. I don't recall many fans being unhappy at the time he left as most felt his time was up with us. Things have moved on, including coaching techniques, players, attitudes, which is just a fact of life and returning to Yogi would be the wrong move.

I'm fully behind the McCall move. Yes I may have the blue tinted specs on for that and some will argue if Yogi shouldn't return because things have moved on then why should we go back to McCall. But here is a guy who was great as a player and manager for us. Left, quite rightly to further his career and earn about 4x his wage (which I would certainly have done as well), hit some personal issues and a downturn in his career, but has come out the other side and resurrected himself in football, and doing a good job in a current team. To me if he would leave Ayr then make it happen.

At the end of the day every single appointment is a gamble and it doesn't matter who you appoint, there is no crystal ball to say that it will definitely work. Heck even Pep would be a gamble, yes there is maybe more of a chance it would work but it's no guarantee. Pretty much the only guarantee for managers are that at some point they'll get sacked.
good post
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

rusty_nail
First Team sub
First Team sub

Post by rusty_nail » Wednesday 29th 2018f August 2018 10:26:29 PM

Now that Yogi has ruled himself out I'll declare that McCall would be my other choice but perversley I don't want him back!

My fear is if he can't turn it around I wouldn't want to tarnish the memories of the time he was in charge before and at the moment it's a distinct possibility with the dross we have.

Funnily enough it was something he said on Tuesday nights Sportsound about developing players Vs ability that struck a chord and made me think there isn't enough in our squad who he could develop into players.

As for the others being mentioned I'm still cold on most of them and anybody who suggests David Weir can get in the sea :flame:

Falkirkbairn90
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Falkirkbairn90 » Wednesday 29th 2018f August 2018 10:42:57 PM

Ian McCall at 1/2 with McBookie. Looking more and more likely.

I happen to think this team could do just fine in the league with a settled back line and a consistent starting 11 with players playing in positions that is natural to them. Some are completely and utterly hopeless though with Harrison, Mackin & Paton falling into that bracket for me.

Falkirkfan6871
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Falkirkfan6871 » Thursday 30th 2018f August 2018 10:28:03 AM

So the short list is

Jim Duffy, Stuart Taylor, Lee Clark and Massimo Donati

How under whelming. Relegation beckons if any of these get near the job