Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
rusty_nail
First Team sub
First Team sub

Re: Who is Richard Mitchell?

Post by rusty_nail » Monday 24th 2018f September 2018 06:07:07 PM

Dade wrote:
Monday 24th 2018f September 2018 05:16:20 PM
A lot of people on Pie and Bovril were ecstatic at some of the signings. I was hopefuly but very cautious as they were absolute nobodies and had played at a fairly low level.

As I had said I’d much rather sign a Gavin Reilly than a complete unknown from down South who’s only played league 1 football.

The thought that Hartley wanted this Mitchell guy in too as he didn’t want to travel down South I can understand but surely as a manager to put faith in so much of your squad to this guy is ludicrous.
There are great leaps being made here and elsewhere about the relationship that Hartley and Mitchell had and how these signings came about.

Whatever the process was something has seriously gone wrong as Hartley won’t be the last manager to sign a player based on show reels and recommendations.

Hartley really must shoulder the majority of the blame for this mess:

A) He had the final say. The inference that the board should have meddled in signing policy is not their remit. As stated in the chairman’s statement footballing matters reside with the manager.

B) Most of these players were reserves and surely must have been available for trials prior to their signing. If so, he may have already appraised their ability and judged they could do a job (which evidently they’re failing to do now). Mitchell only provided the scouting reports.

C) He chose to dispense with experienced Championship players who were under contract and gamble on the unknowns (who some on here were very vocal about Falkirk taking that approach).

I’d hope that we’d learn a very difficult lesson that evolution rather than revolution is the key going forward and McKinnon would do well to heed that warning. January may be the time to make shrewd signings to bed in for our League One assault rather than short term acquisitions that will be jettisoned ahead of our new reality.
Contemplating the future of One F in Falkirk

fuzzydunlop
Under 18 sub
Under 18 sub

Post by fuzzydunlop » Monday 24th 2018f September 2018 06:35:51 PM

Yeah hindsight is a wonderful thing. But maybe a mix of both championship proven players and unknowns might have made more sense. Been a falkirk fan for 34 years and although there’s little chance of getting a stainrod or Latapy these days it would have been more appealing to me anyway to try and get a playmaker on his way down on career trajectory but could still boss the championship. Easier said than done I know and I was hoping like everyone that someone from the Hartley/Mitchell crop would become that terrace favourite.
I don’t believe we’ve had one for a few seasons? Not a player who everyone has been in agreement was special. Someone who when they they get the ball you feel something is going to happen. I dunno. Need some sort of optimism right now!

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Monday 24th 2018f September 2018 07:28:12 PM

fuzzydunlop wrote:
Monday 24th 2018f September 2018 06:35:51 PM
Yeah hindsight is a wonderful thing. But maybe a mix of both championship proven players and unknowns might have made more sense. Been a falkirk fan for 34 years and although there’s little chance of getting a stainrod or Latapy these days it would have been more appealing to me anyway to try and get a playmaker on his way down on career trajectory but could still boss the championship. Easier said than done I know and I was hoping like everyone that someone from the Hartley/Mitchell crop would become that terrace favourite.
I don’t believe we’ve had one for a few seasons? Not a player who everyone has been in agreement was special. Someone who when they they get the ball you feel something is going to happen. I dunno. Need some sort of optimism right now!
I agree but Latapy and Stainrod came from a great pedigree. They maybe lost their way a bit but they had been there and done it at a very good level.

Like you say these players aren’t too easy to find though. The other thing is that these players even when in form are getting rarer and rarer as the way football is coached less and less players are allowed to express themselves. It’s becoming so monotonous! Even a David Hagen type is something of an enigma these days.

As for the Hartley/Mitchell relationship. I get that Hartley won’t be the last manager to sign a player based on videos but to sign so many and then judge them on a video montage from an awful level. That Lewis video that appeared for instance was very sketchy considering that was supposed to be a collection of his best bits. We had Sibbald and Hippolyte and a collection of their best bits(Sibbald especially) would make them look like absolute superstars.

Anyway the point was that it seemed like a lot of faith to put in one guy which looks especially more ridiculous now they’ve been proven to be pretty useless.

fuzzydunlop
Under 18 sub
Under 18 sub

Post by fuzzydunlop » Monday 24th 2018f September 2018 10:43:18 PM

YeAh very good point. The type of football is a massive part of it. I’ve always been slightly arrogant about the way falkirk have played. I relished and maybe wrongly the fact we got praised for our attacking style. It was mostly to our detriment and looking back what did we ever get from it apart from holding our head held high and saying we always gave it a go. Sometime it was great, other times heartbreaking, but at least the attacking football was entertaining. Now it’s a slog. Zero chances, nae excitement, waiting for the inevitable. I know what I’d chose.