Reserves v Morton

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Reserves v Morton

Post by John Markie » Monday 20th 2018f August 2018 08:54:15 PM

The reserves kept up with what we've come to expect from the 1st team in failing miserably to compete in this encounter. First half was one way traffic towards our goals with big Denny Johnstone terrifying our defence and scoring two very simple goals, that schoolboys could have defended better. Some of these kids just are not capable of competing at this level and it was clear from the 10th minute when Morton went ahead that we would lose this game, and it was merely a question of "how much by", rather than "we might get back into the game". That we only had 12 players listed shows how bare the cupboard is, especially when any kid with talent has been shipped out. I only learned today that Jonny Mitchell was away to Celtic - a player I would prefer to see playing in the first team ahead of the likes of Dallison, Muirhead or Harrison, and expected to see this afternoon. Its like we've thrown the future out along with the bathwater.

This was as a poor a game as your likely to witness - no wonder it was free to get in, if it had been any worse they'd have had to pay us to go along. The first half was a shambles with full backs playing as central defenders, and a midfielder at right back. Any attack was posing a threat, with the trialist in front of full back Kyle Mitchell appearing not to know how to defend (or attack for that matter), and the full back having a torrid time against the Morton winger it was here where the attacks were most successful. To be fair, individual errors and hopelessly mismatched opponents made scoring simplicity itself. The second goal in particular should have been collected by the keeper and Johnstone didn't even have to get off the ground to beat the tiny Falkirk central defender to head past the helpless goalie. Second half was better as Dunne moved to left back, Jarvis went into midfield for a while before being subbed and we pretty much dominated the play without ever looking like scoring. It was Dunne though that gave away the penalty with a clumsy trip on the winger who was moving away from goal. But the game was already lost by then, with Morton doing enough to snuff out any Falkirk challenge. Even at left back, Dunne was our most attacking option with the rest of the team doing nothing but going through the motions. We'd be as well just ditching these kids, as only Dunne looks even remotely likely to progress further. The fringe 1st team players did nothing much to improve their chances of starting, although Russell looked interested, although he sure aint no centre back.

Ratings

Young 3/10. At fault for 2nd goal. Kicking abysmal. Very poor.

K Mitchell 2/10. Dreadful. Couldn't get to grips with the Morton winger and made mistake after mistake. Really will not do.
Munro 4/10. Did reasonably well at centre half, apart from never winning a header and being culpable along with the keeper for their 2nd goal.
Russell 5/10. Totally out of position playing in the centre of defence, but tried to get forward and at least showed willing.
Jarvis 4/10. Playing at left back and didn't do too bad, but helped by Dunne covering back first half. He moved to right midfield in 2nd half and was better there making a few decent passes.

Trialist 2/10. Small and pacey. The full back had him in his pocket the whole game, even when he switched wings he was still ineffective. Not good enough.
McKee 5/10. Looked short of match practice but as the game progressed came more into things. As good as anything Hartley has brought in over the summer.
Harris 4/10. Two or three decent passes but totally ineffective. What we have come to expect from him.
Dunne 6/10. Falkirk MotM. Ran at the opposition, defended well, linked up and always looked the most likely to conjure something up. The only Falkirk player that looked like he gave a fcuk.

Greenwood 5/10. Hustled and bustled but really didn't even get a shot away, dallying about too much. One good thing about him though - he never hid and was constantly hunting for the ball.
Mackin 4/10. Basically on his own and did reasonably ok. No pace, no trickery, but put a reasonable effort in, in his own sluggish way. Unbelievable that we paid money for this guy.

Laverty 4/10. Came on for Jarvis, and was about as much use as he was. Made a couple of half decent passes but that was it.

Best player by a mile - Denny Johnstone who was only on 45 mins and terrorised our defence.
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

Creative Redemption
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Re: Reserves v Morton

Post by Creative Redemption » Tuesday 21st 2018f August 2018 12:18:40 PM

A brutal assessment of the game.
I wasn't there, but heard pretty much what you reported the same.
I'm going to my first game of the season on Saturday and dreading it. I cant believe I feel like this.
I will make sure I am 6 pints better off before I get to the stadium just to numb the inevitable pain I am going to have to endure.
Here comes the doom.

John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by John Markie » Tuesday 21st 2018f August 2018 08:33:26 PM

Creative Redemption wrote:
Tuesday 21st 2018f August 2018 12:18:40 PM
A brutal assessment of the game.
I wasn't there, but heard pretty much what you reported the same.
I'm going to my first game of the season on Saturday and dreading it. I cant believe I feel like this.
I will make sure I am 6 pints better off before I get to the stadium just to numb the inevitable pain I am going to have to endure.
I sugar coated it. We were way worse than this sounds.
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Ricey » Tuesday 21st 2018f August 2018 10:16:36 PM

Bleak reading. Jonny Mitchell went to Brentford not Celtic ( Connor Mcbride went to Celtic) and I note he was named in the Scotland u19 squad today. Give the size of our squad I was surprised a few more first team bench warmers weren’t involved

John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by John Markie » Tuesday 21st 2018f August 2018 10:30:43 PM

Ricey wrote:
Tuesday 21st 2018f August 2018 10:16:36 PM
Bleak reading. Jonny Mitchell went to Brentford not Celtic ( Connor Mcbride went to Celtic) and I note he was named in the Scotland u19 squad today. Give the size of our squad I was surprised a few more first team bench warmers weren’t involved
Re Jonny Mitchell - only what I was told at the game, so I stand corrected. I'd rather have Mitchell in central defence than any of the three jokers we currently have playing there (Muirhead, Harrison and Dallison).

Fasan, Brough and Sammut were in the stand for 80 odd minutes watching on. They surely could not have been worse than what was on show. The kids, although still young are the dross we have kept after getting rid of the jewels (Dunne being the exception). Cannot see any of these kids making the step up, whereas Mitchell could have stepped into the first team with little difficulty. Makes me doubt Hartley even more now.

Brian Scrimegour
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Brian Scrimegour » Thursday 23rd 2018f August 2018 11:52:55 AM

How many keepers have we got on the books? I thought Mitchell would've been our reserve team one. No surprise we got beat with a midfield of 4 wide men and one central. Brough and Turner are both injured or possibly would've been playing I suppose.