Thistle away

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Thistle away

Post by Olaf Thom » Friday 10th 2018f August 2018 06:32:33 PM

If we play like last week, it’ll be my last away game for a while.

Lord knows how we line up, what our game plan will be and how we will play. This Should make it exciting because it’s unpredictable, but I’m disillusioned and bored with it all, we’ve had hee haw to cheer about in well over a year and I cannot see it getting better.

Thistle are mince, but we are the patron saint of lost causes, team needs a win, striker needs a goal to break a drought, good old Falkirk will help you out.

Hope we win and more importantly at least look like a team and create chances, cannot see it though, game will be crap and will be a draw or won by the odd goal.
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

havenbairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Re: Thistle away

Post by havenbairn » Saturday 11th 2018f August 2018 11:47:51 AM

Both teams badly need a win to get their season up and running.

Having said that, it will probably end in a draw.

Pete
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Pete » Saturday 11th 2018f August 2018 02:09:03 PM

Sadly no haber today so mackin leads the line.

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Saturday 11th 2018f August 2018 02:21:04 PM

as long as Lewis is up front beside Mackin and not one isolated striker again and playing not to lose rather than take the game to the opposition
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

rusty_nail
First Team sub
First Team sub

Post by rusty_nail » Saturday 11th 2018f August 2018 04:24:42 PM

Bridge of Allan Bairn wrote:
Saturday 11th 2018f August 2018 02:21:04 PM
as long as Lewis is up front beside Mackin and not one isolated striker again and playing not to lose rather than take the game to the opposition
This post hasn't aged well!

2 games in and we're whipping boys already. Going to be very hard to turn the season around.
Contemplating the future of One F in Falkirk

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Saturday 11th 2018f August 2018 04:36:18 PM

rusty_nail wrote:
Saturday 11th 2018f August 2018 04:24:42 PM

2 games in and we're whipping boys already. Going to be very hard to turn the season around.
eh? he played Mackin up top on his own and as stated it didn't work again
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

rusty_nail
First Team sub
First Team sub

Post by rusty_nail » Saturday 11th 2018f August 2018 04:49:52 PM

Saturday 11th 2018f August 2018 04:36:18 PM
rusty_nail wrote:
Saturday 11th 2018f August 2018 04:24:42 PM

eh? he played Mackin up top on his own and as stated it didn't work again
It wasn't a dig :?

I was just commenting that Hartley doing the thing he should do would be a novel idea!

PH is not the long term solution.
Contemplating the future of One F in Falkirk

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Saturday 11th 2018f August 2018 05:29:21 PM

Well I left after McGhee missed a sitter, that is without doubt one of the most inept performances I have ever seen.
It defies logic he can we sign so many players and NOT ONE is any better than what has left. I honestly think Harris and McKee might improve this team.

Nearly 700 fans there today and over 2500 season ticket holders and we get subjected to a performance like that. Heads need to roll from top to bottom.
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

Pete
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Pete » Saturday 11th 2018f August 2018 07:10:06 PM

From what I saw on the intermittent ftv the first half was awful. Wee bit unlucky with the first goal as it deflected in. 2nd half looked better as we tried to pass it on the ground. Whether that was down to thistle taking the foot off the gas I don't know. Mackin was dreadful. Petravisious looks like an athlete forced to play football. Formation needs to change for next week. 1 up in the championship is a joke and a sure fire way of turning the fans against you.

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Saturday 11th 2018f August 2018 07:37:20 PM

If Dan Turner isn’t any better than Mackin, he might as well retire and get a job.

Pete
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Pete » Saturday 11th 2018f August 2018 07:41:35 PM

I can safely say that neither of those two are good enough for falkirk. Baffles me that we signed mackin, he looks like a punter pulled off the street.

Harsh judging them so soon but you can see the basic ability just isn't there.

dixie chicken
International Sub
International Sub

Post by dixie chicken » Saturday 11th 2018f August 2018 07:57:29 PM

To be honest, it’s an embarrassment to see Mackin on a football pitch.
He is obviously unfit and a good stone overweight.
Compare him to the rugged and super fit guy the Jags had.
Where do we pick these guys up from ?

Habib Utak Al Hansi
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Habib Utak Al Hansi » Saturday 11th 2018f August 2018 08:01:02 PM

With each passing week it becomes ever more apparent that we have replaced one clueless, innately stubborn manager with the initials PH with another. It defies all logic, all belief, all words that he could watch the garbage served up seven days ago against ICT and basically say "Same Again" in terms of formation and team selection. A defence consisting of four central defenders (whilst two left backs sit on the bench), two holding midfielders against a poor Thistle side, two wingers/wide midfielders who look like they have never seen a football, a big lump of a striker totally isolated. If you were playing Hartley Bingo you could have called House as soon as that selection was announced.

First half was as bad as it's been for years. Long diagonal punts in the vague direction of Lewis/Petravicius seemed to be our one and only idea. Utterly hopeless. We improved second half, although it would have been impossible to regress. We again seemed to be looking to Irving for any sort of spark and he looked pretty much the only player capable of rising above the mediocre. He was unlucky with his free kick hitting the bar, we went close with a header from the resultant corner and our only decent passage of play ended in McGhee missing a glaring oportunity, at that point you knew the game was up.

It's actually quite difficult to know where to start when apportioning blame for this shambles. Maybe Irving apart, I don't see much in any of the new signings, you could lose the likes of Petravicius, Sammut, Turner and Mackin right now without any negligible difference in performance. Going by the quality of many of the signings from England, this scout has hopefully been dispensed with already.Hartley has had myriad preseason games, he decided to write off the league cup, in his own words everything was "geared to August 4th" yet that performance and the one today are a million miles away from being good enough, and much of that is down to his owen decisions. For me, the QOS game in two weeks should be a defining game for him. If there is no discernible change in tactics and team selection, if it's the same inspid performance and another defeat then sorry but it's Ta Ta and see if Hopkin fancies getting back on the horse. The only problem is that you wonder if any manager can get much out of this bunch of misfits we have assembled. These type of performances have become the norm, another season like the last two cannot be allowed to happen.
PEP SHITTY SHOES - GTF

dixie chicken
International Sub
International Sub

Post by dixie chicken » Saturday 11th 2018f August 2018 08:12:06 PM

Habib Utak Al Hansi wrote:
Saturday 11th 2018f August 2018 08:01:02 PM
With each passing week it becomes ever more apparent that we have replaced one clueless, innately stubborn manager with the initials PH with another. It defies all logic, all belief, all words that he could watch the garbage served up seven days ago against ICT and basically say "Same Again" in terms of formation and team selection. A defence consisting of four central defenders (whilst two left backs sit on the bench), two holding midfielders against a poor Thistle side, two wingers/wide midfielders who look like they have never seen a football, a big lump of a striker totally isolated. If you were playing Hartley Bingo you could have called House as soon as that selection was announced.

First half was as bad as it's been for years. Long diagonal punts in the vague direction of Lewis/Petravicius seemed to be our one and only idea. Utterly hopeless. We improved second half, although it would have been impossible to regress. We again seemed to be looking to Irving for any sort of spark and he looked pretty much the only player capable of rising above the mediocre. He was unlucky with his free kick hitting the bar, we went close with a header from the resultant corner and our only decent passage of play ended in McGhee missing a glaring oportunity, at that point you knew the game was up.

It's actually quite difficult to know where to start when apportioning blame for this shambles. Maybe Irving apart, I don't see much in any of the new signings, you could lose the likes of Petravicius, Sammut, Turner and Mackin right now without any negligible difference in performance. Going by the quality of many of the signings from England, this scout has hopefully been dispensed with already.Hartley has had myriad preseason games, he decided to write off the league cup, in his own words everything was "geared to August 4th" yet that performance and the one today are a million miles away from being good enough, and much of that is down to his owen decisions. For me, the QOS game in two weeks should be a defining game for him. If there is no discernible change in tactics and team selection, if it's the same inspid performance and another defeat then sorry but it's Ta Ta and see if Hopkin fancies getting back on the horse. The only problem is that you wonder if any manager can get much out of this bunch of misfits we have assembled. These type of performances have become the norm, another season like the last two cannot be allowed to happen.
You’ve said it all!!
I agree.

Pete
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Pete » Saturday 11th 2018f August 2018 09:53:30 PM

Habib Utak Al Hansi wrote:
Saturday 11th 2018f August 2018 08:01:02 PM

Bang on the money.

If we were playing decent football but things were not quite coming off then fair enough, or even trying to work it wide for crosses. But we're resorting to aimless longballs to an imobile striker with no real game plan, everyone can see this and are quite rightly getting frustrated.

I'd be willing to give the manager and players time if we had some idea of how to play, unfortunately we clearly don't.

chippo1876
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by chippo1876 » Sunday 12th 2018f August 2018 08:14:49 AM

i've noticed that the bookies have slashed the odds on us being relegated from 33/1 to 10/1 same as we were to win the league before a ball was kicked..........says it all really :help3:

Sir Jones
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Sir Jones » Sunday 12th 2018f August 2018 12:38:50 PM

Only caught the 2nd half and even then FTV was ropey until the last 25 minutes or so.

I'm guessing from fan meltdown that the 1st half was truly dreadful. From what I saw in the second though I thought we looked ok. I do think Partick probably thought it was in the bag and levels dropped a bit though.

2nd half thoughts - there are a couple of players who look the part. Some who don't - Harrison and Lewis are probably two that piss me off the most. Both lauded as being exactly what we needed and neither delivering. Harrison is like a crap Grant which is remarkable. Mackin is pretty rotten too but that was more expected when we signed him.

I don't want to jump on the Hartley bashing just yet but from what I've seen, tactically we're shooting ourselves in the foot. We have a midfield that's far too compact with our backline and there is very little width. This adds up to having no outlet. Second half joy vs ICT and Partick came when we stretched ourselves and used the flanks and, especially, when the midfield as a whole pushed 20-30 yards further up the park.

I see us on a knife edge just now. I've seen enough to think we could be fine this season. Forget the title challenge but a top 4 is still a realistic target. But I've equally seen enough that if not nipped in the bud now will result in this season being another write off by October.
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.

dixie chicken
International Sub
International Sub

Post by dixie chicken » Sunday 12th 2018f August 2018 01:41:26 PM

Sir Jones wrote:
Sunday 12th 2018f August 2018 12:38:50 PM
Only caught the 2nd half and even then FTV was ropey until the last 25 minutes or so.

I'm guessing from fan meltdown that the 1st half was truly dreadful. From what I saw in the second though I thought we looked ok. I do think Partick probably thought it was in the bag and levels dropped a bit though.

2nd half thoughts - there are a couple of players who look the part. Some who don't - Harrison and Lewis are probably two that piss me off the most. Both lauded as being exactly what we needed and neither delivering. Harrison is like a crap Grant which is remarkable. Mackin is pretty rotten too but that was more expected when we signed him.

I don't want to jump on the Hartley bashing just yet but from what I've seen, tactically we're shooting ourselves in the foot. We have a midfield that's far too compact with our backline and there is very little width. This adds up to having no outlet. Second half joy vs ICT and Partick came when we stretched ourselves and used the flanks and, especially, when the midfield as a whole pushed 20-30 yards further up the park.

I see us on a knife edge just now. I've seen enough to think we could be fine this season. Forget the title challenge but a top 4 is still a realistic target. But I've equally seen enough that if not nipped in the bud now will result in this season being another write off by October.
You dodged a bullet by missing the first half. It was the worst ever.
Say what you like about Harrison but he saved us time and again mopping up Muirhead’s errors. Really put himself about.
Dallison has faults but looks like he cares and never hides.
In the first half Mackin gave one of the worst performances ever of a supposed striker.
The change in performance between the two halves demonstrates just how poor Hartley’s football knowledge is!!