Vs ICT

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Vs ICT

Post by Olaf Thom » Thursday 02nd 2018f August 2018 08:23:38 PM

Well the phoney stuff is over, it’s the real stuff now and still we don’t have a clue how or who we will play.

One thing is certain, start like we did in the two home Betfred games and they’ll be an exodus before half time as we’ll be 3 or 4 down.

I’ve not seen a single player who I think- WOW! How have we got him? He’ll do damage in this league.
Everyone looks average at best and you need a couple of class acts to do well in this league.

ICT havent changed much this season, so this will be a tough game and perhaps a game too soon. Hopefully we get at least something to shout about and give us a bit of hope for the season ahead.
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Re: Vs ICT

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Friday 03rd 2018f August 2018 03:13:46 PM

looking forward to the game but deliberately keeping my expectations low this season as I firmly believed we'd do it last season with a squad I believed in and we know how that worked out. in addition our inability to win in the opening games looks ridiculous now it's been so long. at least we are at home and I'd be happy with a lucky break tomorrow in terms of a penalty deflection sending off etc just to get us off to a positive start.

been underwhelmed with what I've seen in 3 games so far but going with an open mind tomorrow.

hope Hartley starts with Robson at left back as that definitely worked last season and Muirhead instead of Harrison as he's quicker. I'm not a massive fan of Paton so far but he offers more dig and experience than the alternatives so i'd go with something like...and swap Paton out second half if it's not working...

fasan
McGhee Muirhead dallison Robson
paton
petravious toe Greenwood
mackin lewis

haber to come on for the striker not playing best. these 2 start as they've shown enough pre season
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by John Markie » Friday 03rd 2018f August 2018 10:02:19 PM

I find it fairly astounding that possibly our worst player of last season not only remains at the club, but will start and likely still captain the side. Not only is he a terrible weak link in defence, and offers little from set pieces, he is STILL probably the best central defender we have at the moment. We will need an absolute miracle to get anything at all from this game. Defence is slow and the full backs don't get forward/back quickly enough, the midfield creates nothing and never gets beyond the forwards, and the forwards themselves look to be lacking in skill and confidence. Still going to go tomorrow and see what improvements have been made since I last them against Forfar (who should have won had they taken their chances/scored from spot, etc) but expecting we will get beaten fairly easily no matter who starts.
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

Habib Utak Al Hansi
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Habib Utak Al Hansi » Friday 03rd 2018f August 2018 10:35:43 PM

Bridge of Allan Bairn wrote:
Friday 03rd 2018f August 2018 03:13:46 PM

fasan
McGhee Muirhead dallison Robson
paton
petravious toe Greenwood
mackin lewis
Not a bad side on paper, fairly attacking, but based on everything seen in preseason, there is no chance of anything like this. Brough will start at left-back, as Hartley appears to favour him over Robson, think he has looked very poor so far. Don't see Greenwood starting. I can see the left-wing position going the same way as right-back and the likes of Lewis being shoehorned into a role they are clearly not comfortable in. The midfield still appears to be top-heavy with sitting players, Paton, Sammut, Kidd and lacking any real drive, which has been the case since Alston and Vaulks went. It looks like we are going to have rely on someone like Owen-Edwards to get forward to support the striker(s). Mackin probably deserves to start after his two goals last week.

Would take any kind of result tomorrow, as our record in opening games is utterly abysmal. Inverness looked ropy against Hearts, have lost their best player in Vigurs and haven't signed anyone of note, so nothing to fear there, but we could be absolutely anything tomorrow and throughout the season, I won't be shocked at any of the possible outcomes.
PEP SHITTY SHOES - GTF

JaxinFalkirk
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by JaxinFalkirk » Saturday 04th 2018f August 2018 06:35:54 AM

Just listened to PH interview & he confirmed Brough out today & Mackin been ill so will be interesting to see the team he sets out

kent brockman
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by kent brockman » Saturday 04th 2018f August 2018 07:59:54 AM

John Markie wrote:
Friday 03rd 2018f August 2018 10:02:19 PM
I find it fairly astounding that possibly our worst player of last season not only remains at the club, but will start and likely still captain the side. Not only is he a terrible weak link in defence, and offers little from set pieces, he is STILL probably the best central defender we have at the moment. We will need an absolute miracle to get anything at all from this game. Defence is slow and the full backs don't get forward/back quickly enough, the midfield creates nothing and never gets beyond the forwards, and the forwards themselves look to be lacking in skill and confidence. Still going to go tomorrow and see what improvements have been made since I last them against Forfar (who should have won had they taken their chances/scored from spot, etc) but expecting we will get beaten fairly easily no matter who starts.
I think Tom Dallison is our best central defender by a mile.

He has an excellent pedigree and I can see him playing at a much higher level in the future.
Its not the taking part that counts......its the WINNING.

Art Vandelay
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Art Vandelay » Saturday 04th 2018f August 2018 05:21:53 PM

Ouch. Having been completely disillusioned with Scottish football in general I haven't been to a game for nearly 2 years. However the whole change in ethos at Falkirk got my quite excited pre-season, and I was fully intending going to the first league game of the season. But reading reports and seeing the results during the league cup and pre-season games, pretty much put me off. Adding to the fact that we never win our first game I decided to save my money for the moment. Now it will be interesting to get reports of how the game actually went but I suspect it's just been more of the same. Hopefully not as I am looking for something to encourage me to go to a game.
Last edited by Art Vandelay on Saturday 04th 2018f August 2018 06:32:23 PM, edited 1 time in total.
I was free and clear. I was living the dream. I was stripped to the waist eating a block of cheese the size of a car battery.

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Saturday 04th 2018f August 2018 05:37:26 PM

very poor indeed. not a shot at goal in the first half. what makes it worse is Inverness were very average. they won't get an easier 45 minutes. haber did okay up top but was completely isolated. very annoying to start the season at home with an isolated striker and very little if no pressure put on the opposition.

so surprised when Hartley started the second half the same way and didn't change it till 25 to go. way too late. I didn't see much wring with our goal.

I thought Lewis and petravious looked like little boys lost. fair play to Paton and Harrison who I think are slow but both had decent games. brightest spark was Irving for me he looks a prospect.

will be cheesed off if this is the way we set up going forward
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

Kiddy
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Kiddy » Saturday 04th 2018f August 2018 05:52:59 PM

1st half - Not any better, but not any worse. Sneck scored with their only chance, off a mistake when Harrison was drawn out to follow Austin & Muirhead was forced to cover him.
Better 2nd half, goal chalked off due to Sneck players fouling the goalscorer! Thought we lost something when TOE went off, Petra being a more worthy candidate for the swap. Think TOE & Irvine could develop a partnership in the middle, leaving Paton to provide the dig. Both Lewis & Petra should be encouraged to take full backs on, as they seemed a bit reticent to do so. Haber was decent, with an ability to hold the ball up & lay it off &, if properly supported, could really be effective.
More to look forward to than not & an improvement on last season's 1st game. When the wheels fell off after 20 mins.
Finally, anybody that has ideas that we will win the division, has got rocks in their head. 4th us the target & this'll take weeks to gel.
No financial regulation, no corporate governance, no enlarged divisions, no summer football, no single ruling body, no new cash, no integrity. Behold the 'bright new dawn' for Scottish football,

rusty_nail
First Team sub
First Team sub

Post by rusty_nail » Saturday 04th 2018f August 2018 06:09:44 PM

Disappointing, drifting game where after we conceded we never looked like winning the game.

Thought TOE and Paton were passengers for most of the game and Petranavicius was woeful in just about everything he did - applauded during his warm-down probably because he couldn't take anymore corners!

Irving looks like a prospect and Greenwood did well in late stages but PH on this basis hasn't progressed us into a team that looks like it's going somewhere, more just like the 2018/19 version of post-Xmas 2017/18 team.

Where is the flair as we look pretty mundane (again).
Contemplating the future of One F in Falkirk

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Saturday 04th 2018f August 2018 06:38:25 PM

Not good, not good at all.

We make the basic things look bloody difficult, we lost the goal because McGhee punted the ball 15 yards! Headers go straight up in the air, clearances barely travel any distance at all. Set plays and corners were abysmal

We still fannyabout, pass the ball back far too often, why not launch to Haber quickly or play a ball over the top of the full back for Petravicous to run onto.

The only positive for me was Greenwood, he looked dangerous and should have been given the ball at every opportunity, it’s going to be a long hard season.

Finally, what’s the deal with doing away with an automatic turnstyle system and replacing with a manual system, this has to be more expensive for the club.
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

Habib Utak Al Hansi
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Habib Utak Al Hansi » Saturday 04th 2018f August 2018 07:00:12 PM

Awful game between two awful teams. ICT scored after 10 minutes then did nothing for the next 80. They'll not get an easier three points this season. Good home support of well over 4k, but very little to get enthused or excited about, we looked so pedestrian.

Despite a huge turnover in personnel, I don't see any real leap forward from the brutal stuff we have been subjected to over most of the past two seasons, and the same old failings are as prelevant as ever, they appear almost endemic now. Fifteen new signings, yet here we are starting another f*****g season with Muirhead at right-back. He plays McGhee out of position whilst having a left-back sitting on the bench, would love to know what Robson has done wrong as it clear he is completely out-of-favour. Hartley must be the only one in the stadium who cannot see that Lewis is never, ever a wide player yet, as predicted, that he is where he is shoehorned in. Irving looks quite a tidy player with reasonable close control and Haber did as well as he could for an hour despite being ridiculously isolated. Petrivicius was anonymous. Paton is what he is, a limited player there to provide some dig and experience, I don't see him as any upgrade on Taiwo. Set-piece delivery was as atrocious as ever, absolutely criminal considering we finally have some decent height in the team. Their keeper did not have one save to make, the best chance we had was probably Haber's header late on from Mackin's cross which he should at least have got on target.

Based on all of pre-season, the League Cup and today I don't see this season being radically different to last.
PEP SHITTY SHOES - GTF

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Saturday 04th 2018f August 2018 07:06:27 PM

Habib Utak Al Hansi wrote:
Saturday 04th 2018f August 2018 07:00:12 PM
Awful game between two awful teams. ICT scored after 10 minutes then did nothing for the next 80. They'll not get an easier three points this season. Good home support of well over 4k, but very little to get enthused or excited about, we looked so pedestrian.

Despite a huge turnover in personnel, I don't see any real leap forward from the brutal stuff we have been subjected to over most of the past two seasons, and the same old failings are as prelevant as ever, they appear almost endemic now. Fifteen new signings, yet here we are starting another f*****g season with Muirhead at right-back. He plays McGhee out of position whilst having a left-back sitting on the bench, would love to know what Robson has done wrong as it clear he is completely out-of-favour. Hartley must be the only one in the stadium who cannot see that Lewis is never, ever a wide player yet, as predicted, that he is where he is shoehorned in. Irving looks quite a tidy player with reasonable close control and Haber did as well as he could for an hour despite being ridiculously isolated. Petrivicius was anonymous. Paton is what he is, a limited player there to provide some dig and experience, I don't see him as any upgrade on Taiwo. Set-piece delivery was as atrocious as ever, absolutely criminal considering we finally have some decent height in the team. Their keeper did not have one save to make, the best chance we had was probably Haber's header late on from Mackin's cross which he should at least have got on target.

Based on all of pre-season, the League Cup and today I don't see this season being radically different to last.
I find myself agreeing with all of this

John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by John Markie » Saturday 04th 2018f August 2018 08:58:23 PM

No surprises, and a more easy 3 points ICT will not get this season. ICT were at best average, and really there was not too much to choose between two awful footballing teams. Get the ball, punt high and hard, then feed off the scraps seems to the mantra everyone has adopted in this division. ICT were better at it than we were but not by a huge lot. They should however have won more convincingly than they did, with Austin spurning an easy 1v1 with the keeper that even a kid could have put away. It was a pretty awful advert for the glorious game, with no-one showing anything other than endeavour and not much skill throughout the whole game on either side. We have replaced poor centre backs with even poorer ones, if thats possible - and probably our best defender was Muirhead, so for anyone not at the game, you can imagine how poor the rest were. The full backs we have aren't worth a jot in the attacking sense (both Muirhead and McGhee are probably better in the centre of defence than playing out wide). The new centre backs are slower than the ones we've gotten rid off, and the midfield is so weak as to be almost completely irrelevant, hence why we started pumping everything from the back, up to Haber isolated up front on his own. The wide guys usually received the ball on the back foot and its fair to say at least Lewis at least attempted to drive forward whereas Petravicious seemed unable to decide what to do with himself when he got the ball. Irving and TOE are pretty weak and slow, and Irving passed more to an opponent than a team mate, but not too unusual since he's only been here for 5 minutes. Paton is like a woeful slow useless Tom Taiwo, and Haber only really linked up with TOE well enough in the second half. Looked like they were beginning to gel, when Hartley took TOE off.......? I'm glad I decided not to renew the ST, as sitting through turgid 90 minutes like this is bad enough in summer, but on a cold day in January think I'll find something better to do with my life. I can see very little improvement anywhere and if this is what we can expect for the rest of the season then its another year of hoping for us to survive and rebuild for 19/20 season. Maybe thats just early season jitters from me, but no improvement at all with all those changes seems to indicate we are rudderless and no-one seems to know how we want to play, and what strengths and weakenesses need addressed. Most of these new players are actually worse than those they have replaced.

Ratings

Fasan 5/10. Some very dodgy moments choosing to punch instead of catching at times, and his kicking is on a par with what we have become used to - i.e. p1sh.

Muirhead 6/10. Out of position for the opener and every ICT successful attack came down his side. Having said that he was nowhere near the worst defender and showed desire, some skill and determination. He never gave up and certainly gave it his all, even though that was far below what would be considered adequate for a captain of a championship side,
Harrison 2/10. Laughable performance from probably the slowest player on the planet. He is useless, but managed a few passes and his goal (from where I was sat) seemed ok. Worse than Muirhead as a cb, so you know that ain't good enough.
Dallinson 3/10. Liked the look of him in the LC games, but against even half decent opposition doesn't look that great. A couple of times Austin left him for dead and although he won enough headers looks far from the total marshalling influence I hoped he'd be. Slow and cumbersome like his partner in central defence.
McGhee 3/10. Looks totally out of place at left back. Since he joined he has gradually got worse with each passing performance and now loooks to have no idea how to play as either a full back or a central defender.

Petravicious 3/10. Very poor. Overhit crosses and corners, never really took on the full back or tried to outpace him. Awful, and he stayed on for about 75 minutes or more??? WTF was that about?
Paton 4/10. Hesitant and obvious in his play. Slow and ponderous with the ball and marks space when he hasn't got the ball. Dire.
TOE 5/10. Too lightweight and struggled to create much, but was at least willing to take the ball, run and pass with some directness. No-one seemed to be on the same wavelength though. Just looked to be getting into top gear when hooked in 2nd half. Potential is there though.
Irving 4/10. Looked like he had never met any of his team mates and had no idea how or where they were going. Passed more to opposition than his team mates. A strong breeze will knock him over.
Lewis 5/10. Tried hard even though he was isolated out on the left. Good running and control slightly better today than its been in the past. Looks wasted out so wide, but PH seemed to want to keep him there as he was talking to him often in 2nd half. At least he has some pace unlike most of the others.

Haber 6/10. Mt MotM, although he did nothing particularly great. He won headers, he held the ball up, he brought others into the game. It wasn't his fault the crosses were all too high and/or hard and/or misplaced. Isolated all too often.

Subs
Makin 1/10. Can't run, barely has any close control, yet managed a half decent cross towards the end.
Greenwood 3/10. Lightweight and looks like has zero confidence. Did reasonably well in his limited time on the park.

Hartley got his tactics wrong and needs to get that defence sorted. But not having a shot on target in the league opener at home, apart from disallowed goal, ain't good enough.
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

Kiddy
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Kiddy » Saturday 04th 2018f August 2018 09:16:55 PM

Pretty much the story of the 90 mins today. Sums up the referee's incompetence.
Attachments
IMG_20180804_211309.jpg
IMG_20180804_211309.jpg (237.86 KiB) Viewed 1734 times
No financial regulation, no corporate governance, no enlarged divisions, no summer football, no single ruling body, no new cash, no integrity. Behold the 'bright new dawn' for Scottish football,

Jarvis the Ginger General
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by Jarvis the Ginger General » Saturday 04th 2018f August 2018 10:00:55 PM

Based on today's performance, it will be 7th or 8th for us. We were hopeless. Paton is slow and utterly dire. We never looked like scoring. Only positives for me were TOE who had some nice touches and Irving who had a couple of good runs. Haber won some good balls but didnt do much with them. McGhee was absolutely hopeless - whats happened to him. And Dallison is nowhere near as good as some were quoting. Looks to be a horrible season already - cant see us finishing anywhere near top 4.
Im constantly updating my hit parade of the 10 biggest w**ks on OneF.

Pete
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Pete » Sunday 05th 2018f August 2018 10:41:23 AM

Think some of you are getting toe mixed up with Irving as toe was brutal. The ball just kept bouncing off him and he contributed nothing.

Hartleys interview is odd, we barely played two decent passes all game. The football was awful. One up front just doesn't work us.

Id honestly get rid of mackin and Turner now and try and get a decent partner for haber who was pretty good, and sign a proper right back

kemlinbairn
Under 18 superstar
Under 18 superstar

Post by kemlinbairn » Sunday 05th 2018f August 2018 03:01:20 PM

Seen the interview after the game that PH done for FTV (know there not exactly going to ask probing questions) but hopefully what he said in the interview was not what went on in the dressing room. If it was then I think we could be in deep ....

John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by John Markie » Sunday 05th 2018f August 2018 08:21:13 PM

Pete wrote:
Sunday 05th 2018f August 2018 10:41:23 AM
Think some of you are getting toe mixed up with Irving as toe was brutal. The ball just kept bouncing off him and he contributed nothing.

Hartleys interview is odd, we barely played two decent passes all game. The football was awful. One up front just doesn't work us.

Id honestly get rid of mackin and Turner now and try and get a decent partner for haber who was pretty good, and sign a proper right back
TOE at least drove forward and tried to pass the ball to a teammate. Irving dribbled a lot then passed to an opponent. Irving also unbelievably slow.

Sir Jones
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Sir Jones » Monday 06th 2018f August 2018 07:10:32 AM

A lot of knicker wetting in the stands and on Facebook since 4:45pm, Saturday. Was amazed to read some saying it was the worst performance they had seen in a long time ffs.

We huffed and puffed and didn't look great by any stretch but neither did we, on the whole, look like t1ts. I have some concerns - the backline looked ropey but if Hartley could some how work some magic and bring in someone with pace it would transform the side. A little worrying that he hasn't managed or identified that already though.

And I presume it was a tactical decision to have our entire backline smash the ball away at all times during that opening 45? Refuse to believe they were consistently doing that against any orders - again, worrying!

Overall, nothing exciting but nothing like the disaster some have been portraying it to be. Some more time to gel and one or two tweaks and top 4 will be straightforward enough.
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.