vs Montrose

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

vs Montrose

Post by Olaf Thom » Saturday 14th 2018f July 2018 01:33:35 PM

Well the pre-season is over, now the kind of important stuff begins.

This could be a tough game, they have a few experienced guys in their squad and guys who have played a high level in Sean Dillon and Paddy Cregg.

I have no idea what our first choice 1st team is or what formation we will play. Hope to see at least a pattern of play and a level of intensity to give the fans at least some hope for the coming season.
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Re: vs Montrose

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Saturday 14th 2018f July 2018 06:03:41 PM

poor result and performance

trying to find positives they would be:-

goalie played well
froxy added more in his cameo when he came on than rest of midfield all game
best player on pitch was McGhee one of only two who started from last season
we'll be better with dallison playing and possibly Robson too

negatives?

goalie and dallison aside none of what I've seen so far look like upgrades on our team of last season. taiwo is better than Paton
Harrison looks decent in the air but is very slow on the deck and will get caught out in the championship
our midfield looked weak as did the strikers we need 2 experienced strikers asap. the jak would be a great start

of course it's early days but I was looking for at least a couple of these players to stand out today at home to a team in the league below us. the result is less important
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

Pete
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Pete » Saturday 14th 2018f July 2018 06:41:16 PM

Really poor stuff today. Hopefully it's just a case of there being so many new players that it'll take time for them to gel. Hartley tried so many different formations during the game so not sure if this helped or hindered the team either

They need to be ready for the ICT game though

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Saturday 14th 2018f July 2018 06:49:42 PM

Awful

A LONG hard season awaits, powder puff, no guile, lacking pace and talent. That Scout Richard and Hartley want hung from the Steeple!

Fasan - he looked okay, had little to do though.
Harrison worse than James Sharp
Brough looks absolute average, no drive, aggression or pace
Sammut probably the most disappointed in him, if that’s all he has then he’s Academy talent and no use for us, I’m sure at Chelsea, he gets the ball and passes to a Decent centre half or flying full back and looks good. Here passing the ball to our centre backs cause us to lose the ball, he needs to pass forward. If he cannot dictate play against Montrose then when will he
Paton - a slower Tom Taiwo and much more negative
Lewis - first touch like a garage door
Owen-Evans - is he any better than Joe McKee, I doubt it.
Petravicius, he looked okay, but will be a typical winger sugar or shiite
Mackin - Why? Clearly unfit, clearly a lower end Championship player.
Turner, looked like he could not be arsed.
Froxylias, the only one who I thought looked like might improve us, showed a few good touches and wanted the ball.

Overall a load of old toot, we’ve all been suckered in, the clubs marketing dept have played a blinder, but this is the last time.
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me ..... and all that.
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

Habib Utak Al Hansi
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Habib Utak Al Hansi » Saturday 14th 2018f July 2018 06:58:27 PM

Brutal and that is being kind.

Pass marks to Petrivicius, who was at least willing to have a run at the full-back. Froxlyias at least looked interested when he came in.

The big concern is that, despite a massive turnover in personnel so many of the same old problems are as prevelant as ever. Never want to see that centre-half partnership again, they couldn't handle their strikers at all, completely embarrassing. He needs to bite the bullett and sign a right-back, get Dallison/McGhee in the centre and Robso. Midfield as one-paced , ponderous and unacquainted with the opposition box as ever., Samut was sitting deeper than Paton and completely ineffectual, at the end of the match Paton was the only one of the three getting forward. Little threat up front, Mackin looked your typical lumbering centre forward. Lewis is surely more effective through the middle. O'Hara again proved he'll never be good enough, he will do the hard bit but completely lacks composure to finish the chance or pick a pass, another one who should have been emptied in the summer. Really could be doing with a couple of proper strikers.
PEP SHITTY SHOES - GTF

havenbairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by havenbairn » Saturday 14th 2018f July 2018 08:04:31 PM

Early days but that was a really poor performance.

These are the games we should be winning comfortably and putting down a marker for the rest of the season.

yogisbairns
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by yogisbairns » Saturday 14th 2018f July 2018 08:11:43 PM

Jesus! That was actually worse than anything they flung at us last season. Half the team looked unfit and a few overweight. Muirhead and the other central defender were trying to do a carbon copy of what the English defence did when Manzukic scored last week. My bro(who's a Livi fan) couldn't believe his luck when they offloaded Mackin to us. To quote him "he's absolutely hopeless and would struggle at junior level". The Bismarck had a tighter turning circle (without its rudder). Pass marks to the goalie and possibly McGhee. The rest, pff.
Imagedont matter if your not good at anything, as long as you look as if you know what your doing!(Remember, image is all)!

Tom
Under 18 first team
Under 18 first team

Post by Tom » Saturday 14th 2018f July 2018 08:28:01 PM

What a load of crap and overpriced at a fiver,who the the hell is going to score the goals, Austin and hippo were better than
that lot to-day.early days of course but they are every bit as bad as last year. thank god I did not renew my season ticket
I could,not watch that every week :bang: :bang:

Falkirkbairn90
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Falkirkbairn90 » Saturday 14th 2018f July 2018 08:50:45 PM

I can't decide who was worse, the lump up front who is at least a stone overweight or the lump at the back who is 2 stone overweight and horrificly unfit. Is he better than Peter Grant? Not a chance.

Paton is rotten and I agree with Olaf. Couldn't lace Taiwo's boots. I understand his purpose but he has to help the young lads, not hinder them. Sammut looks a player although didn't have a good game I don't think that's his fault. He will get better each week.

Froxy should've been on from the start and O'hara at least looked lively when he came on. He made the GK work at least. We need another striker badly though, Macklin is rotten and I think Lewis was out of position. He will be good for us once he is up to speed.

Not a lot to shout about today. Team looked like a bunch of strangers and it's bad when your most threatening player going forward was Muirhead and his mazy runs from the back.

Big positive was the GK. Looked safe and made a smart stop to save us from having even more of a red neck.

Big gamble from Hartley putting so many new faces together. I hope it pays off for him. Early days yet but that was very poor today.

John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by John Markie » Saturday 14th 2018f July 2018 09:30:32 PM

Got to agree with most of the comments. That Muirhead was one of the better performers shows just how bad we are. Absolutely no cohesion, slow and ponderous as always with the ball, then stood and watched when the opposition had the ball. This was Montrose we were playing FFS - not even a half decent side, but they made us look like the part time team compared to them. How many times did they attack and have men overloading with our full backs and the holding midfielder stranded miles away? Often - thats how often. haha. Dear God Muirhead was our best defender - that should tell those who didn't attend all they need to know - we were totally dung. Montrose deserved the win, and were unfortunate not to make the score more convincing.

Ratings
Fasan 5/10. One good save, but had little else to do. At least came and claimed a few crosses and tried to set us off on a quick counter attack.

McGhee 4/10. Charged forward as usual and as usual, failed to make anything of it when he got into advanced positions. He also lacks the pace needed to get back once we have give away possession.
Muirhead 5/10. My MotM. Yes, he is still very poor, but at least tried to carry the attack to Montrose, since no-one else seemed able or willing to even try. Won two headers - so 200% better than normal, and made a couple of successful passes.
Harrison 2/10. Hopeless, overweight, unfit and about as much use as a defender as a chocolate fireguard is in a fireplace. Woeful.
Brough 3/10. He was chosen ahead of Robson - how Mr Hartley? Slow, never took on his man, not physical enough, and lacked any ability going forward.

Petravicius 4/10. One trick pony who received very little support and never really troubled the full back too much. This guy allegedly plays at international level. Really? Never got back to help out full back much and hardly saw the ball in advanced open positions.
Sammut 2/10. Looks totally out his depth even at this level. Blues, McKee, etc all better than him yet are all either away or not part of the first team set up.
Paton 2/10. As slow a midfielder as you are likely to see playing at any level. Not only that, but his passing is average, his covering non existant and about as much use as Welsh was last season as an attacking threat - i.e. NOT any attacking threat. Telegraphs every pass too.
Owen-Evans 3/10. A few flashes that showed he might be a player, but hardly good enough to be a starter at this level. Tidy at times, but has a tendency to always look for the easy backwards pass insted of driving on. When he did that second half from wide left he was marginally better. Weak as p1ss for a central midfielder though.

Makin 2/10. Fat, unfit, slow, caught offside all the time, can't hold the ball up or link play. So - worse than anything we've had in last couple of seasons.
Lewis 2/10. Fast, but the touch of an elephant makes that pace obsolete.

Subs
O'Hara 1/10. One good shot then the usual catalogue of misplaced passes, overhit balls and poor decision making. He needs to improve by huge amount or he will be out the door.
Turner 1/10. Did he actually touch the ball?
Froxylias 5/10. Did more in his 15 minutes than the rest of the midfield did all game. Yes he is slow, but at least has determination, a bit of guile and made runs off the ball into attacking areas.

The manager has built this side, and although they are allegedly still needing games to "gel" - he has picked more than a few stinkers here. Froxy, Dallinson and maybe a few more will maybe improve and become decent choices, but Paton, Harrison, Turner, Sammut and Makin look far from being able to cut it at this level. Early days and a long way to go, but getting so comprehensively beaten by Montrose does not augur well for the forthcoming season.
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

Jarvis the Ginger General
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by Jarvis the Ginger General » Saturday 14th 2018f July 2018 10:20:14 PM

Too early in the season to be properly worried by that performance. It was terrible but we need to give the team a bit of time. The new boys were all disappointing (except maybe keeper who got pass marks)- Froxy at least created chances but looks slow, TOE/Sammut looked a bit too weak - clearly got talent but need to man up quickly, I thought Paton was so predictable and slow - but he did at least put himself about. Turner/Lewis/Mackin - big worry - none looked good enough but Lewis at least had a nice shot that smacked the bar. O'Hara reminded us all why he should have been punted - the time where he opted to shoot rather than pass to a team mate for an open goal was inexcusable.

No point in over reacting yet - but looks like we still need 1 new RB, 1 midfielder and 1 or 2 strikers to have any chance of a top 4. Need a massive improvement on Tuesday.
Im constantly updating my hit parade of the 10 biggest w**ks on OneF.

dennybairn
International Sub
International Sub

Post by dennybairn » Sunday 15th 2018f July 2018 09:17:35 AM

Bridge of Allan Bairn wrote:
Saturday 14th 2018f July 2018 06:03:41 PM
poor result and performance

trying to find positives they would be:-

goalie played well
froxy added more in his cameo when he came on than rest of midfield all game
best player on pitch was McGhee one of only two who started from last season
we'll be better with dallison playing and possibly Robson too

negatives?

goalie and dallison aside none of what I've seen so far look like upgrades on our team of last season. taiwo is better than Paton
Harrison looks decent in the air but is very slow on the deck and will get caught out in the championship
our midfield looked weak as did the strikers we need 2 experienced strikers asap. the jak would be a great start

of course it's early days but I was looking for at least a couple of these players to stand out today at home to a team in the league below us. the result is less important
Isn't that a contradiction in the space of one sentence?
Let's hear it for the lovely ladies.

Ranaldo Bairn
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Ranaldo Bairn » Sunday 15th 2018f July 2018 09:45:06 AM

Hated every single minute of that.

Missing out on a hot afternoon in the garden/hills. Sitting in the horrific Main Stand atmosphere. New signings ranging from "could be ok" to "shome mishtake shurely". Programme not even having a squad list. The worst linesman of all time.People talking about the BF Cup as if it's preseason. Hint: IT'S NOT.

I'll see how I feel on Tuesday night whether I go or not. But at the moment (and I SINCERELY hope I am 100% wrong here) I can't imaging regretting giving up my ST at all.
"You, who have destroyed so much - can you name even one thing you have created? I thought not. There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue Physicist."

Quidsin
Experianced Manager
Experianced Manager

Post by Quidsin » Sunday 15th 2018f July 2018 04:47:46 PM

Ranaldo Bairn wrote:
Sunday 15th 2018f July 2018 09:45:06 AM
Hated every single minute of that.

Missing out on a hot afternoon in the garden/hills. Sitting in the horrific Main Stand atmosphere. New signings ranging from "could be ok" to "shome mishtake shurely". Programme not even having a squad list. The worst linesman of all time.People talking about the BF Cup as if it's preseason. Hint: IT'S NOT.

I'll see how I feel on Tuesday night whether I go or not. But at the moment (and I SINCERELY hope I am 100% wrong here) I can't imaging regretting giving up my ST at all.
Agreed, crappy atmosphere in that stand coupled with watching dross on the field made it a day to forget quickly.
That said I will be punishing myself again on Tuesday when I attend the Forfar game. Utter dross. Who’d be a Falkirk fan?
SAFE TERRACING FOR TFS EAST STAND.
"Falkirk Flyfishing, my name yes, it's Paul J Hartley"

Kiddy
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Kiddy » Monday 16th 2018f July 2018 12:16:13 PM

Attendance: 1,730.

I'd imagine there'll be less on Tuesday night.

#Diddy pre season forum for this thread. :roll:
No financial regulation, no corporate governance, no enlarged divisions, no summer football, no single ruling body, no new cash, no integrity. Behold the 'bright new dawn' for Scottish football,