18/19 Predictions and Premonitions

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

18/19 Predictions and Premonitions

Post by Duncan Freemason » Sunday 27th 2018f May 2018 04:09:10 PM

So. There’s us, and nine sad outfits vying for the land of milk and honey next season. No Livingston, so probably no outright corruption in the Championship, but I would guess DUFC are desperate enough to get into a proper financial mess trying to do anything anyhow to get out of the Championship.
Then there’s us, the side with easily the highest male grooming budget in the league, and the Fifers with easily the highest body hair removal budget in the country.
So how will it pan out? Who will win the league? Top 4? Surprisingly bad? Just as bad as expected? Better than expected?
Obviously, squads are just being formed, so not a lot of facts to go on, so the earlier you name your five, the less you are relying on facts, and just your own zen sense of this league.
Anyway:

League Winners: Us
Top 4: Us, DUFC, Ross County, Fifers
Better than Expected: Ayr
As Bad As Expected: Alloa
Surprisingly Bad: QotS

Feel free to add special categories that (in my case) would cover Plastic Whistle, Morton and ICT.

havenbairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Re: 18/19 Predictions and Premonitions

Post by havenbairn » Monday 28th 2018f May 2018 08:25:27 AM

I just cant see where all this blind optimism is coming from and will wait and see what our squad looks like in July.

To predict we will go from 3rd bottom to league winners is a huge leap of faith.

grumpyoldman
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by grumpyoldman » Monday 28th 2018f May 2018 10:28:56 AM

havenbairn wrote:
Monday 28th 2018f May 2018 08:25:27 AM
I just cant see where all this blind optimism is coming from and will wait and see what our squad looks like in July.

To predict we will go from 3rd bottom to league winners is a huge leap of faith.
If someone at the start of last season had said we would go from second top to third bottom they would have been shot down in flames.

We will be challenging for the title this year.

Falkirkbairn90
Reserve sub
Reserve sub

Post by Falkirkbairn90 » Monday 28th 2018f May 2018 12:08:57 PM

St Mirren avoided the playoffs by the skin of their teeth last season. They won the league at a canter this season so it certainly isn’t beyond the realms of possibility.

I think Dundee Utd will be our biggest challengers but too early to tell how we will do. Paul Hartley is busy in the transfer market which is great to see. Let’s hope a good preseason helps these players gel and we add some more quality before August.

I feel a helluva lot better than I did a few months ago, that’s for sure.

Creative Redemption
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Creative Redemption » Monday 28th 2018f May 2018 12:15:58 PM

League Winners: Inverness
Top 4: Us, DUFC, Inverness, Partick
As Bad As Expected: Morton (second half of season)
Surprisingly Bad: Ross County

Inverness only dropped a few points in the last 14 games or so, and I think momentun carries a lot in this league.
I can see them romping it.
Partick and DUFC will be thereabouts with hopefully us in the mix as well. Dunfermline wont be as good as they were, and I think we will be better than them over the season. (Thats purely through Falkirk tinted spectacles rather than any rational thought).
I think County will struggle. The same way that momentum works for you, I think their poor form will make it difficult for them this year.
DUFC will be backed again financially and should see them top 4.
We are the unknown quantity with all the new arrivals pending. It could work spectauarly, or back fire just the same.
Here comes the doom.

Jarvis the Ginger General
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by Jarvis the Ginger General » Monday 28th 2018f May 2018 12:17:45 PM

Too early for me to be sure where we will end up. If we get another 5-6 to come in and another 2 or 3 to leave, I think we can challenge. My gut feel is that we will finish 3rd or 4th. Stating the obvious, but unless we get a really decent keeper (like a McGovern) and a 20 goal + a season striker I think we will be floating between 3rd-5th.
Im constantly updating my hit parade of the 10 biggest w**ks on OneF.

AL_bairn
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by AL_bairn » Monday 28th 2018f May 2018 12:47:23 PM

Impossible to tell this early with the squad no where near complete.

Falkirk ??
Inverness skint
Ross county inexperienced manager team
Partick major overhaul needed
Morton can't see challenging
Dunfermline can't see being as strong
Ayr can see doing ok but not challenging
Dundee utd skint and manager has been useless so far for them
QoS can't see doing anything
Alloa will be better than brechin

That's how I see the teams at this stage in no particular order. IF Hartley nails his signings then we might do ok but a few teams probably think that.

ellonbairn
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by ellonbairn » Monday 28th 2018f May 2018 12:57:11 PM

League Winners: Inverness
Top 4: Inverness, Dundee Utd, Partick, Us
As Bad As Expected: Alloa
Surprisingly Bad: QOS

I would have chosen DU to win the league but I think it depends on how much time the give Laszlo as I think he will be sacked then they will recover to make 2nd place. I am actually being optimistic putting us 4th as Dunfermline will be challenging. Whilst Alloa will be bad, their ground will be awful to go to as in recent years, with a horrendous artificial pitch.

Anyway, the above is just a bit of a laugh as there is little to base it on.

Pete
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Pete » Monday 28th 2018f May 2018 01:10:59 PM

Alloa resurfaced their pitch a few years ago, it could well be in better condition than ours.

ellonbairn
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by ellonbairn » Monday 28th 2018f May 2018 01:19:57 PM

I was last there in 2015 I think, so yes if it has changed since then fine but still a tight pitch. Hate going there.

AL_bairn
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by AL_bairn » Monday 28th 2018f May 2018 02:17:55 PM

I'm surprised at Inverness being tipped as potential champions on here. They are pretty skint now and will struggle to replace the players they have already lost from last season with the same quality. Not sure where all the improvement is going to come from to make them Champions.

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Monday 28th 2018f May 2018 11:28:09 PM

No logic or even faith behind me selecting “Us” to win the league. It’s just the outcome I want, that’s all. DUFC just might be turning into the Leeds United of the Scottish Championship.....here’s hoping.
If two of Us, DUFC and the Fifers get out of this league, and say a Livingston and Hamilton came down, then the Championship attendances in 19/20 could be absolutely epic with potentially three figure attendances being fairly common.

We really need to stop being the plucky losers of this league sometime (very) soon.

dixie chicken
International Sub
International Sub

Post by dixie chicken » Wednesday 30th 2018f May 2018 05:41:19 PM

Throng RUMOUR that Sibbald is going to Livingston

AL_bairn
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by AL_bairn » Wednesday 30th 2018f May 2018 06:59:41 PM

Was told last week he turned them down because they never offered enough money. Must have came back with a better offer.

It's a bit embarrassing Livingston are now a step up from us. Would be good if they came straight down and we went up.

Habib Utak Al Hansi
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Habib Utak Al Hansi » Wednesday 30th 2018f May 2018 07:12:52 PM

AL_bairn wrote:
Wednesday 30th 2018f May 2018 06:59:41 PM
Was told last week he turned them down because they never offered enough money. Must have came back with a better offer.

It's a bit embarrassing Livingston are now a step up from us. Would be good if they came straight down and we went up.
It's the reality of where we are, which is an (at best) average Championship club, with any perceived advantages over the likes of Livingston in terms of crowd size etc more than nullified by the ridiculous stadium overheards and chronic lack of ambition and competence in the boardroom. That's the effect of nigh-on a decade of medicocity and underachievement in the second tier (where our CEO delights in pointing out is our natural habitat). Sibbald has been given an opportunity to play football at the highest level, even if maybe only for one year, and I don't blame him for taking it, he won't get that opportunity with us any time soon.

The far bigger question, which no-one appears to even want to address, is why we are losing for nothing a player who we have a legal contractual option on. Why was this not taken up? A year ago the board would not countenance him signing a straight one year deal and insisted on the option to protect us from the exact scenario that has now occurred. That's the reason he sat out the first month of the season. Only at Falkirk :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
PEP SHITTY SHOES - GTF

hobbes
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by hobbes » Wednesday 30th 2018f May 2018 07:47:21 PM

He's away to test himself at a higher level and good luck to him. I personally think that he's found his level and will be one of those players to move between a number of average Scottish teams without really getting anywhere. I can see him at Raith/Morton in the future. He's got skill in abundance but doesn't have the pace to trouble anybody and that's a big thing in the modern game. At times I've also questioned his attitude. Decent player but certainly no world beater.
Is your child hyperactive; or is he perhaps a twat?

AL_bairn
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by AL_bairn » Wednesday 30th 2018f May 2018 08:38:35 PM

Habib Utak Al Hansi wrote:
Wednesday 30th 2018f May 2018 07:12:52 PM
AL_bairn wrote:
Wednesday 30th 2018f May 2018 06:59:41 PM

It's the reality of where we are, which is an (at best) average Championship club, with any perceived advantages over the likes of Livingston in terms of crowd size etc more than nullified by the ridiculous stadium overheards and chronic lack of ambition and competence in the boardroom. That's the effect of nigh-on a decade of medicocity and underachievement in the second tier (where our CEO delights in pointing out is our natural habitat). Sibbald has been given an opportunity to play football at the highest level, even if maybe only for one year, and I don't blame him for taking it, he won't get that opportunity with us any time soon.

The far bigger question, which no-one appears to even want to address, is why we are losing for nothing a player who we have a legal contractual option on. Why was this not taken up? A year ago the board would not countenance him signing a straight one year deal and insisted on the option to protect us from the exact scenario that has now occurred. That's the reason he sat out the first month of the season. Only at Falkirk :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
We got a fee for him. £50,000 was mentioned. Not a large fee but better than nothing especially for a player that doesn't want to be here.

Sir Jones
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Sir Jones » Friday 01st 2018f June 2018 07:36:51 AM

ICT to win the league this season for me. I don't expect much from Partick or County and suspect Dunfermline may take a mild slump.

Looking at Hartley's form since taking over, had he been there for the season it's likely we would have finished top 4. With the squad he had that's pretty encouraging. Much depends on his wheeling and dealing but if he can get shot of Loy and Harris (and McKee too probably) then I'd be feeling pretty confident about at least a top 3 finish for us.
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.

John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by John Markie » Saturday 02nd 2018f June 2018 09:50:28 PM

Kidd and Muirhead still with us, as are Loy and Harris. 5th is best unless we start introducing some quality signings. Muirhead alone will lose us 4 games at least a season.
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

AL_bairn
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by AL_bairn » Wednesday 06th 2018f June 2018 06:15:44 PM

A lot of peoples fancies for the league Inverness have announced the signing of Jordan White. Give them the title just now :lol: