falkirk v st mirren 28th April 2018

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

falkirk v st mirren 28th April 2018

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Monday 23rd 2018f April 2018 02:43:24 PM

first game I've been to in years where we have nothing to play for.

hopefully we'll end with another win over the buddies and some decent performances.

I wonder how quickly after this game we'll get news of both ins and outs?

it would be nice to get an idea of the squad prior to season ticket renewal time because I'm going to miss quite a few games again next season and need to decide whether I pay per game or up front again
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

Bainsfordbairn2
Under 18 sub
Under 18 sub

Re: falkirk v st mirren 28th April 2018

Post by Bainsfordbairn2 » Monday 23rd 2018f April 2018 08:27:22 PM

Bridge of Allan Bairn wrote:
Monday 23rd 2018f April 2018 02:43:24 PM

I wonder how quickly after this game we'll get news of both ins and outs?
Normally outs are posted within a week of the season ending, as the players are told after their final game if they'll be offered a new contract or not.

Normally ins start to happen after the manager returns from holiday, or when the transfer window officially opens.

I have no idea if this year will be any different.

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Tuesday 24th 2018f April 2018 01:45:08 PM

Just about impossible to predict what will happen here. St Mirren might field a full strength line up seeking to end on a high, and say farewell to Morgan, or equally, their manager might give their kids a run out.
It’s hard to imagine that Hartley will use this game to make a decision on anyone’s future at Falkirk. I would imagine his mind has got to be made up by now.
There’s likely to be those who are still contracted for next season that he will encourage to leave, and others he might want to use.
There’s few names that I would regret departing outside the well known names most would be keen to be here next season. Peter Grant would be one that I would be sad to see go purely based on how good he was before his injury.
Anyway, for us, nothing more than potentially opening the gap on Dumbarton to an emphatic 17 points, or maintaining it at 14 points.
For St Mirren? Just about impossible to say. It’s hard to see any of them really being up for this beyond fulfilling the fixture. Surprised if they don’t have the foot off the gas at least a wee bit.

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Tuesday 24th 2018f April 2018 07:49:22 PM

if its a nice day, I might give this a miss.

I am completely bewildered by the Alex Smith love in - Smith and his ilk are one of the main reasons Scottish football is so crap.
Only last year he was saying Rangers(sic) and Celtic should buy clubs like ours and use them as youth fodder. Why is he being honoured?

So with the Smith Show stinking the place out and our gallant wasters sauntering round for a lap of the honour at the end. I don't know if I can face it.
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

Kiddy
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Kiddy » Wednesday 25th 2018f April 2018 12:46:36 PM

Olaf Thom wrote:
Tuesday 24th 2018f April 2018 07:49:22 PM

I am completely bewildered by the Alex Smith love in - Smith and his ilk are one of the main reasons Scottish football is so crap.
Only last year he was saying Rangers(sic) and Celtic should buy clubs like ours and use them as youth fodder. Why is he being honoured?

So with the Smith Show stinking the place out and our gallant wasters sauntering round for a lap of the honour at the end. I don't know if I can face it.
His tenure presiding over the I'll fated management team of May/Presley, the subsequent relegation, Holt, Houston & the slide toward mediocrity. Why is this being celebrated? It's like we're taken massive backward steps to the point where we're no better off ,squad wise, than we were back in 1985!
Going to the game, but won't be hanging around to "thank the players for their efforts".
No financial regulation, no corporate governance, no enlarged divisions, no summer football, no single ruling body, no new cash, no integrity. Behold the 'bright new dawn' for Scottish football,

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Wednesday 25th 2018f April 2018 04:20:26 PM

Kiddy wrote:
Wednesday 25th 2018f April 2018 12:46:36 PM
Olaf Thom wrote:
Tuesday 24th 2018f April 2018 07:49:22 PM

His tenure presiding over the I'll fated management team of May/Presley, the subsequent relegation, Holt, Houston & the slide toward mediocrity. Why is this being celebrated? It's like we're taken massive backward steps to the point where we're no better off ,squad wise, than we were back in 1985!
Going to the game, but won't be hanging around to "thank the players for their efforts".
Have to say I kind of agree. Don't have anything against Alex Smith but never been a fan of his footballing philosophy or management style and therefore whether paid or not I've never been a fan of his involvement with the club.

Pete
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Pete » Wednesday 25th 2018f April 2018 04:24:52 PM

A better alternative would be going to the shuffledown festival at the dobbie hall, certainly thats what I'm doing.

Kiddy
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Kiddy » Saturday 28th 2018f April 2018 05:21:48 PM

Pish end of season fare, with a goal worthy of winning the game.
Only Jakubiak & Mutch showed a level of professionalism required in this end of season friendly.
The service the former received left him reminiscent of that which Ken Eadie was left to feed off years ago.
3/4 good saves from Mutch, having been left exposed on nearly every occasion he was called into action.
As for the rest they can go. Our release list will be surely be lengthy, come Monday morning.
No financial regulation, no corporate governance, no enlarged divisions, no summer football, no single ruling body, no new cash, no integrity. Behold the 'bright new dawn' for Scottish football,

kent brockman
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by kent brockman » Saturday 28th 2018f April 2018 05:53:42 PM

Good to end on a high note.

Onwards and upwards for us next season.
Its not the taking part that counts......its the WINNING.

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Saturday 28th 2018f April 2018 09:00:52 PM

To put it in perspective too, St.Mirren, only finished the league with 4 points more than we did in 2015/16 with Hibs and Rangers in the league and 9 points short of our total in 2002/03.

Don’t know what my point is but just saying.

John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by John Markie » Saturday 28th 2018f April 2018 09:25:34 PM

Disappointing first half, and almost as bad after the break. It didn't look like St Mirren got out of 3rd gear most of the time, and we struggled to compete in the first half. They slackened off a bit after the break and we had a better share of the game. Our inadequacies were covered up to a large extent by some great goalkeeping (and woeful as always distribution) and a fabulous strike by Blair. On todays showing only Sibbald, Robson, McGhee and Jak look remotely capable of handling this level of competition. A decent showing from Mutch in goal augurs well for the future, and O'Hara looked lively when he came on and certainly helped get us forward and threaten more when he came on. As for the rest, its a case of yet another year when they will be looking around for a real job or a club with little (or no) ambition that they can steal a wage from.

Ratings

Mutch 8/10. Would have been higher but for his terrible kicking and general distribution. Made three game saving saves.

McGhee 7/10. Did that running up the park with the ball beating players along the way, then simply passing the ball to an opponent leaving gaping hole at the back. Otherwise solid.
Watson 6/10. Did little wrong, but never really looked comfortable in possession.
Grant 5/10. A shadow of his former self. Can't pass, but still managed to get himself in the way of the opposition often enough and won plenty in the air.
Robson 7/10. looked a wee bit shaky early on, but soon settled and had a decent if unspectacular game.

Kidd 4/10. Really poor. Slow and misjudged passing all day. Won't survive the purge.
McKee 3/10. Terrible. Did hardly a thing right all match. Lucky not to be subbed in first half as he was not up to the pace of the game.
Welsh 4/10. In his defence he never hid, but he is too slow, lacks imagination and looks unfit. Cheerio.
Sibbald 8/10. Captain and the only player to show any foresight, imagination or craft in the whole team. Lets hope we can keep him. My MotM.

Longridge 4/10. Loads of effort and the lad has some great close control - matched only by his complete inability to pick the right option almost every time. Maybe Hartley will take a punt on him?

Jakubiak 5/10. Starved of the ball, up against a couple of giants, yet he persevered and only a tip by the keeper making a great save kept him off the scoresheet.

Subs
O'Hara 6/10. Did more in 20-25 minutes than Kidd, Welsh and McKee did in the entire match combined.
Harris 2/10. One fantastic pass and the usual nothingness and bawbaggery for the rest of the game.
Blair 6/10. Amazing strike for the goal with about his 3rd or 4th touch. Why he never started is beyond me?

Thank goodness thats it for another season. Total non event today and I still don't get this love in for Smith, which they didn't half milk. Recruitment and making sure the real shyte (Muirhead, Harris etc) gets chopped for next season essential.
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Saturday 28th 2018f April 2018 09:38:03 PM

Wasn’t there today but if there was a huge Smith love in then I don’t get it either. People like Jim Dawson and Sarah Scott left without any recognition. That doesn’t mean to say that future staff shouldn’t be rewarded with such aplomb but it always felt to me like we were doing Smith a favour than the other way round. I have respect for his efforts but as good a person as he may be I can’t pretend to say that I was always an admirer of him as a football man.
Last edited by Dade on Sunday 29th 2018f April 2018 05:12:26 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Habib Utak Al Hansi
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Habib Utak Al Hansi » Saturday 28th 2018f April 2018 09:50:45 PM

Dade wrote:
Saturday 28th 2018f April 2018 09:00:52 PM
To put it in perspective too, St.Mirren, only finished the league with 4 points more than we did in 2015/16 with Hibs and Rangers in the league and 9 points short of our total in 2002/03.

Don’t know what my point is but just saying.
I'd say it proves what anyone who has attended games this season probably already knows, that the overall standard is piss-poor and we have missed yet another golden opportunity. Last summer those in charge probably concluded that Dundee United would skoosh it (not a totally unreasonable assumption given the money they were chucking around on Fyvie. Keatings, McDonald etc), so, for the umpteenth season, we would not be trying to compete, as evidenced by our own ridiculous recruitment/transfer strategy. United have turned out to be unforseeably hopeless, aided by a bizzare managerial appointment, which has allowed a workmanlike St Mirren, with a bit of stardust in the shape of Morgan and a regular goalscorer in Reilly, to come from nowhere and run away with it. The Falkirk team of Houstons middle season, with the likes of Alston and Vaulks, would have been 20-25 points clear this season and comfortably won it last year as well. But it's never "Our Time"
PEP SHITTY SHOES - GTF

Jarvis the Ginger General
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by Jarvis the Ginger General » Saturday 28th 2018f April 2018 10:21:06 PM

Great strike by Blair but not much else to get excited about. Sad to see Grant and Taiwo go but its the right decision. I would only keep McGhee, Mutch, Sibbs and Longridge out of that squad - Robson if he could find his form. Watson, Muirhead, O'Hara and Kidd try hard but not good enough. Welsh was marginally better today than recent weeks but largely a waste of a wage - would be gutted if we signed him - slow and no attacking threat. Harris is just abysmal - what was that chest attempt all about? He has pace and some skill but he has no heart or desire to play professionally - why not bring Dunne on instead of that imposter? I would just cut Harris Loy and McKee free of their contracts - none good enough. Blair and Jak will return to their clubs. Massive turnover needed and hopefully coming.

Cant wait to forget all about that season - pedestrian football and generally dull as f**k.
Im constantly updating my hit parade of the 10 biggest w**ks on OneF.

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Saturday 28th 2018f April 2018 10:56:15 PM

as others have said very poor end of season fare as to be expected. however good to win it with a great goal from Blair.

I thought mutch was motm with 3 terrific saves. sibbald looks very decent too and I'd like to see him back next year.

looks like Peter Grant is off by the way he gave his strip away and waved at the end, looked emotional. wish him all the best decent servant especially pre injury.
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

Brian Scrimegour
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Brian Scrimegour » Sunday 29th 2018f April 2018 08:09:32 PM

Still people slagging off alex smith for no reason. The idea we were doing smith a favour is frankly utter nonsense.The guy was excellent for our academy where his daily presence helped many of our young players for very little recompense and at a time in his life when he couldve been sitting on his arse doing nowt. Surely he deserved some appreciation for all the work he put in there over the last 5 or 6 years. No point in him hanging about now that the academies been binned but anyone that does a lot for the club for basically hee haw gets my thanks.

Kiddy
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Kiddy » Monday 30th 2018f April 2018 07:21:35 AM

Brian Scrimegour wrote:
Sunday 29th 2018f April 2018 08:09:32 PM
Still people slagging off alex smith for no reason. The idea we were doing smith a favour is frankly utter nonsense.The guy was excellent for our academy where his daily presence helped many of our young players for very little recompense and at a time in his life when he couldve been sitting on his arse doing nowt. Surely he deserved some appreciation for all the work he put in there over the last 5 or 6 years. No point in him hanging about now that the academies been binned but anyone that does a lot for the club for basically hee haw gets my thanks.
That's like saying Beeching was good for the railways, McGregor for Steel/Coal & Edwardes the Car industry!

ellonbairn
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by ellonbairn » Monday 30th 2018f April 2018 01:31:36 PM

Brian Scrimegour wrote:
Sunday 29th 2018f April 2018 08:09:32 PM
Agree with all of the above Brian. Also a really nice guy and apart from what he did for us, brought the cup to both St Mirren and Aberdeen and for the latter to within 90 mins of the premier league title, then was treated disgracefully by some in the north east. He deserves respect and I wish him all the best.