Club Statement

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
kent brockman
First Team regular
First Team regular

Re: Club Statement

Post by kent brockman » Friday 20th 2018f April 2018 09:16:24 AM

It might be good for the BFL guys to sit down at the end of the season and discuss how their scheme could be developed into a community ownership model.

All the research suggests that these schemes are only successful in times of crisis but it would be useful to have a community ownership plan ready for the future.
Its not the taking part that counts......its the WINNING.

gruezi ffc
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by gruezi ffc » Friday 20th 2018f April 2018 10:30:39 AM

Back Post Misses wrote:
Friday 20th 2018f April 2018 06:59:20 AM
Positive stuff certainly. We have had words before however and I don't think it is unfair of anyone to wait and see if the words are implemented. I do have confidence in CC trying to implement what he says unlike others who sit in the MSG.

As far as us all contributing more people contribute what they can afford. If their ST is all their budget will allow then they are certainly not in my eyes any less important. This club needs all the fans it can get.

As far as BfL goes I joined but have left for two reasons.

1. Anyone who is independent the I spoke to about the scheme and who had knowledge of other schemes at other clubs said NEVER give clubs anything without something in return. It won't get buying because of that. That commitment should have been shares or a commitment from the club to match the money raised by the fans.

2. Our activity in the January transfer window proved the line we have all been fed that you never have money to do anything major in January without money to be a lie. Nothing more than that. What Hartley and CC did in January proved the laziness and lack of ambition of those who have run things for 20 years. They turned over 8/9 player and did it cash neutral. We would have been in the Premiership on at least 2 occasions since we went down had we the foresight and willingness to do this in previous seasons. This is the primary reason BfL was sold to us.

I have said I would rejoin if there was a commitment from the club to match monies raised or a willingness for BfL to take shares. I think this is a good base to start a drive to community ownership and I hope the BfL guys morph their scheme into that.

110 members whilst a start surely tells those running it that it is not quite the right scheme and to attract more contributors it should be modified. That it no way demeans the hard work the guys have carried out this season. Just to be clear I told BfL this when I stopped contributing.
I agree with most of this...... the reason I didn't join was because the club were giving nothing in return.... and I also had a feeling that the number of people signing up would only be around 100, which really would not make any inroads into their objectives of giving enough cash to the club to "purchase" a player and also run a raffle for members. Essentially the money would lie in a bank and be a pittance compared to what the manager would most likely need for the January transfer window.

We have seen many initiatives in the past that have floundered on lack of interest from fans, lack of support from the BoD or just personal agendas. Even though we have a fan base of around 3500 to 4000 .... whenever an initiative to make cash is involved you can only really rely on 100-200 max.

Back the Bairns made the identical mistake of not taking a shareholding in the club when they could have had a major interest. Bairnstrust (which I was instrumental in setting up with others, before I went abroad) was meant to give fans a bigger say in the club and bring them into the boardroom. This was later hijacked with consequences we all know about.

BfL is similarly going to disappear unless some major shift in direction is considered which would cause a seismic change in fans attitudes to donating (as well as the clubs attitude to seeing that BfL is an easy way to get some free cash that they would otherwise have to spend)

What we also have to remember here is that it is the MSG who hold control of the club, irrespective of what the CEO states. Unless they are "on board" with the proposals of fan ownership then it will be a non-starter...either that or we need to find a benevolent supporter with a spare million in cash to buy them out.
Come the revolution......George will be first against the wall :D

havenbairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by havenbairn » Monday 23rd 2018f April 2018 02:34:40 PM

According to the Falkirk Herald, Paul Hartley has dismissed talk of having "the largest ever playing budget " next season.

He says his playing budget will be "about the same as what it was last season".
Last edited by havenbairn on Monday 23rd 2018f April 2018 02:55:32 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Ricey » Monday 23rd 2018f April 2018 02:55:16 PM

It does seem Mr Campbell likes to be creative with the numbers he has form for this. I also note since his arrival the community project now gets top billing within the club something we saw last night at the awards. As far as I am aware the foundation have moved their games and training away from the stadium to their own pitch which would suggest to me the club loses vital income. Surely the pitch should be booked out with all the community teams playing and training on it?

I am all for the community foundation being an integral part of the club but the partnership seems very one sided these days since Campbell move in. I am sure someone on here will know more about this than me and can fill me in on the correct details.

As for this statement from Hartley it seems dismissive of the chief exec does this suggest there is a problem between them?

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Monday 23rd 2018f April 2018 03:48:36 PM

I read the original statement as THIS season was the largest budget with the comings and goings in January included (although understand they were cost neutral).

everyone else seemed to read it as next season so I presumed I had it wrong. maybe there's no mix up between Hartley and Campbell as this year's budget is similar to last?

either way I think this league will be really difficult as always to get out of as there will be teams with larger budgets than us anyway (ross county? united? pars?) and teams with smaller like livvi who seem to have a manager that can work the markets or teams like queens who have one offs like dobbie. no games against part time sides either if raith and Ayr come up. should make it very interesting again and in a weird way I prefer this league to the top league although for some reason contradicting myself keen to get out of it!
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

rusty_nail
First Team sub
First Team sub

Post by rusty_nail » Monday 23rd 2018f April 2018 05:10:30 PM

Sounds like the chairman was being ‘economical’ with the truth, possibly to appease supporters after the dreadful season we’ve had and with one eye on selling ST for next season.
Contemplating the future of One F in Falkirk

AL_bairn
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by AL_bairn » Monday 23rd 2018f April 2018 06:09:29 PM

I read it as this season was the highest budget which from January it probably was. If we have a smaller squad next season we should be able to attract decent quality.

Sir Jones
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Sir Jones » Monday 23rd 2018f April 2018 07:55:45 PM

Id be amazed if this season was the highest playing budget since we made the drop back down. We had a season (or was it two?) with Burton O'Brien on the payroll in this division ffs! Moutinho, Higginbotham, Flynn, Millar, even McManus would all have likely been getting paid a decent amount more than our first team lot.

Who knows though. I do have a copy of management accounts from the 2011-12 year and the 1st team budget was £602k. £450k of that was for players.
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.

Bainsfordbairn2
Under 18 sub
Under 18 sub

Post by Bainsfordbairn2 » Monday 23rd 2018f April 2018 08:19:48 PM

Ricey wrote:
Monday 23rd 2018f April 2018 02:55:16 PM
It does seem Mr Campbell likes to be creative with the numbers he has form for this. I also note since his arrival the community project now gets top billing within the club something we saw last night at the awards. As far as I am aware the foundation have moved their games and training away from the stadium to their own pitch which would suggest to me the club loses vital income. Surely the pitch should be booked out with all the community teams playing and training on it?

I thought it was a little strange that the first award last night seemed to be for the best Foundation volunteers, given that the Foundation also have their own awards night. There may well be a good reason for it but tbh it's not something I know much about.

The second award was for the womens team. The club are trying to give them more prominence, which is fair enough when you consider that most of the Foundation teams are children and these girls are adults. I believe that Margaret Lang is very supportive of them so I suspect their participation in the Gala Awards is due to her rather than Craig Campbell. As for getting top billing, I don't agree. The timing of their slot during the evening was very much where you would put a support act before the headline band comes on.

I don't know the training locations of ALL the Foundations teams, but I can definitely say that they haven't moved away from the stadium. The womens team, which I have an involvement in, train at the stadium on Tuesday & Thursday evenings & play their home games there on a Sunday. Any time I go down to see the girls midweek there are always other Foundation teams sharing the pitch with them. I think Woodlands is more of an overflow facility, given that the stadium isn't available in the mornings when they hold their training camps as the first team are using it. Chris McGill or Stephanie Dawson would be able to give you more information.

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Tuesday 24th 2018f April 2018 08:08:59 PM

Jesus Christ!
Some people swallow any old crap with a positive spin.

This CEO has done nothing! He gets paid over 70K a year for what? We'd be better off with 2 more players in the squad for that.

He is CEO of probably the worst full-time club in Scotland, but who are only a couple of hundred off being in the top 10 best supported clubs in the land, in this utterly pathetic season. Let that KPI sink in!

We have signed complete and utter dross (Hello Loy and Harris) - and continue to do so (Hello Welsh) so whats to say we won't be in the same situation next season? The CEO is full of it, he's from the touchy feeling world of "Social enterprise" not the results driven, hard nosed world of Football and business.
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

rusty_nail
First Team sub
First Team sub

Post by rusty_nail » Wednesday 25th 2018f April 2018 08:22:54 AM

Olaf Thom wrote:
Tuesday 24th 2018f April 2018 08:08:59 PM
Jesus Christ!

This CEO has done nothing! He gets paid over 70K a year for what? We'd be better off with 2 more players in the squad for that.

He is CEO of probably the worst full-time club in Scotland, but who are only a couple of hundred off being in the top 10 best supported clubs in the land, in this utterly pathetic season. Let that KPI sink in!

We have signed complete and utter dross (Hello Loy and Harris) - and continue to do so (Hello Welsh) so whats to say we won't be in the same situation next season? The CEO is full of it, he's from the touchy feeling world of "Social enterprise" not the results driven, hard nosed world of Football and business.
Quite possibly the most sensible post you’ve made in a while Olaf! :wink:

I must admit that when I originally read the statement the other week I did think reading between the lines it came across as ”we were poor this year but if you want to see improvement then you fans will need to fund it ... and likewise going forward with the ownership model we’ve floated recently” :roll:

The MSG are ensuring the club survives which they should be given credit for but their ambition only stretches to the day that someone else (fans?) relieves them of it but in their planning it will be easier to do so if were a Premiership club is my ‘hot’ take.

Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Ricey » Wednesday 25th 2018f April 2018 09:18:57 PM

Well said Olaf. I note our esteemed chief exec goes to ground on social media anytime there is a whiff of any trouble. Various people have requested clarification on Twitter and he flat ignores them. He has form for this too. The sooner we get rid of him the better and as Olaf says he’s costing us 2 players Ffs

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Thursday 26th 2018f April 2018 02:58:19 PM

Well, it didn’t take long for the optimism of that statement to wear off....

Ranaldo Bairn
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Ranaldo Bairn » Thursday 26th 2018f April 2018 03:25:34 PM

Dade wrote:
Thursday 26th 2018f April 2018 02:58:19 PM
Well, it didn’t take long for the optimism of that statement to wear off....
It's an absolute joke isn't it? :lol:
"You, who have destroyed so much - can you name even one thing you have created? I thought not. There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue Physicist."

AL_bairn
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by AL_bairn » Thursday 26th 2018f April 2018 04:54:02 PM

It's onef there are always going to be a few negative posts. Lets just see what the summer brings before we can judge the statement properly. The good thing is if we start the season well the negative fuckers will disappear from here post-haste. :lol:

rusty_nail
First Team sub
First Team sub

Post by rusty_nail » Thursday 26th 2018f April 2018 05:16:14 PM

AL_bairn wrote:
Thursday 26th 2018f April 2018 04:54:02 PM
It's onef there are always going to be a few negative posts. Lets just see what the summer brings before we can judge the statement properly. The good thing is if we start the season well the negative fuckers will disappear from here post-haste. :lol:
On occasions if it weren’t for the ‘negative fuckers’ there wouldn’t be any topics or discussion to be had!

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Thursday 26th 2018f April 2018 08:55:54 PM

To be honest, I'm as cynical as anyone and the discerners did raise a few noteworthy points.

Like Rusty Nail says people are at there most vociferous when they have something to moan about but hopefully next season will be the opposite.

Pete
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Pete » Thursday 26th 2018f April 2018 09:32:52 PM

Regardless of the statement the close season is going to be exciting with the high turnover of players.

Back Post Misses
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Back Post Misses » Sunday 29th 2018f April 2018 06:38:50 AM

Olaf Thom wrote:
Tuesday 24th 2018f April 2018 08:08:59 PM
Jesus Christ!

On the CEO I would actually agree if there was someone on the Board either capable or willing to step up. We had someone doing the job for free however the appointment of Henderson by his MSG supporters put paid to that.

Also in fairness half his salary is picked up by the foundation.

Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Ricey » Sunday 29th 2018f April 2018 09:50:39 AM

Hopefully the foundation will fund half of his payoff then :D