Dundee United Away

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Dundee United Away

Post by Duncan Freemason » Saturday 14th 2018f April 2018 04:16:45 PM

Late in the day, but here we are.
It seems the juggernaut has been quietly parked up for the rest of the season, and the form book that was the touchstone of why we could make the top four has been sneakily shoved under the sofa cushion.
Fancied us to get beat again today, and at time of writing we are a goal down.
Let’s see how the rest of the game pans out.

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Re: Dundee United Away

Post by Duncan Freemason » Saturday 14th 2018f April 2018 04:58:14 PM

Beat again, and no surprise I guess. Three straight defeats with only one goal scored, but I there’s not been a huge amount in any of them. Many thanks to ICT (and Nathin Austin) today for finishing off Dumbarton.
When we don’t have Brechin to play, our form book certainly changes. That’s one win, two draws and three defeats in our last six.
When the autopsy is carried out on this season, it’s going to make for grim reading.
We are certainly experiencing the pain, but not sign of the gain so far.

Habib Utak Al Hansi
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Habib Utak Al Hansi » Saturday 14th 2018f April 2018 06:13:09 PM

Positives - Harris never made it on to the park.

Hartley engages in his favourite game of goalkeeper bingo and within 10 minutes Thomson has cost us the game with his woeful distrubtion. Who'd have guessed? You could have just blown the full-time whistle there and then. We were abysmal and United were not much better. They did not have to be. No width whatsever from the full-backs, a midfield that would need a compass to locate the opposition box and the usual array of aimless long balls from our collection of hopeless centre-halves. At 1-0 down, he brings on two holding midfielders and sticks one of them at right-back, inspiring stuff. We created one reasonable chance with our only bit of attacking play, which Jakubiak fluffed. Other than that, their central defence of Moshni and Stuart Murdoch strolled it.

Special mention to three Hartley signings - Longridge, Tummilty and Welsh - who were beyond dire. Anyone who still thinks Longridge deserving of a new deal on the back of that performance needs to stop watching football. Good riddance to all three along with frankly everyone else as even the likes of McGhee have regressed to a level where I would not be Tat all bothered if they left. It is frightening how poor we are, I think it is going to be years before we are back to any sort of level of even challenging at the top end of the table. This is the culmination of nigh-on a decade of the low expectations, just-happy-to-be-there culture fostered by those at the very top. That's where ultimate responsibility for this mess lies.
PEP SHITTY SHOES - GTF

AL_bairn
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by AL_bairn » Saturday 14th 2018f April 2018 06:37:08 PM

Can't wait for this season to finish. A complete clear out required, I'd get rid of the lot of them. I just hope the manager is good enough to rebuild for next season.

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Saturday 14th 2018f April 2018 09:36:34 PM

Thing is, we can’t get into the cycle of binning managers every 12 months or so.
Hartley is ambitious for himself never mind FFC, so it’s in his own interests to get this right after making some daft mistakes at Dundee. He can not afford to swamp us with diminutive midfielders in some sort of madcap scheme aimed at emulating a Xavi Iniesta bargain basement dream.
He needs a squad of 18 focused individuals capable of doing the business week in, week out. In short, we need a better version of his Alloa side.
We do have a nucleus of right minded players in Jak, Robson, Nelson, Sibbs and McGhee. Currently, their collective heads are dropping, because beside each and every one of them, there’s a team mate who is going to let them down.
With eleven like those five, we won’t be far off, but if we choose to keep any of the rest, we are screwed.
We don’t need and can not afford any more “he’s alright for as a squad player” types. We need 18 or so guys all busting a gut to be part of a starting eleven.
I certainly wouldn’t want any of Hopkins criminal select near Falkirk, but he has shown what can be achieved when you sign limited ability but with the right collective mindset. As things stand, we have five good guys getting dragged down by half a dozen duds almost every game.

havenbairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by havenbairn » Sunday 15th 2018f April 2018 08:36:04 AM

The league table does not lie.

We are third bottom in the league and the worst full time team in the league.

Falkirkbairn90
Reserve sub
Reserve sub

Post by Falkirkbairn90 » Sunday 15th 2018f April 2018 09:36:47 AM

One thing to bear in mind is these players didn’t get a pre-season together which can make all the difference in gelling. Hartley did the best under a very difficult set of circumstances that Houston left us in. He had to assess the players he had initially then wait until January to get rid of them while making emergency loan deals. Then he’s made a number of signings in January who have been thrown together and in my opinion, done well under the circumstances. Hartley has been reactive rather than proactive and firefighting since the moment he arrived here. He more or less has us safe and for me, after the start of the season we had, is job done. If you’d told me a few months ago we’d finish 8th I’d have bitten your hand off. Next season is when you judge Hartley, give him another transfer window or two to build his own team that he has time to mould in his image and a pre season that will benefit everyone. I for one will be giving him my backing at least until Christmas.

Kiddy
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Kiddy » Sunday 15th 2018f April 2018 11:18:33 AM

IMO PH has done well to have had us in with an outside chance of a top 4 finish, until the last two weeks.
I commented before Christmas that he should walk away, as they were too far gone as much to being irretrievable.
That it looks all but secure, is to his credit. As the penny appears to have dropped with the majority, that they won't be here next season, & displays have summirarily tailed off.
No financial regulation, no corporate governance, no enlarged divisions, no summer football, no single ruling body, no new cash, no integrity. Behold the 'bright new dawn' for Scottish football,

Brian Scrimegour
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Brian Scrimegour » Sunday 15th 2018f April 2018 12:20:46 PM

Disappointing that hes not been able to bring in anyone we could perhaps use next season though apart from robson. Doubtful either jak or nelson will be here and i wouldnt want any of the rest. Starting from scratch next season is another gamble. St mirren had at least managed to bring in a couple to use as the basis for their title winning side this season.

dixie chicken
International Sub
International Sub

Post by dixie chicken » Sunday 15th 2018f April 2018 12:43:33 PM

That goal we lost was quite horrendous.
Combination of stupid kick out from Thomson and terrible control from McGhee.
Oh for this season to end!!

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Sunday 15th 2018f April 2018 01:24:45 PM

I think maybe Hartley has given up on them as a collective group too. Since the Dumbarton threat faded away around the time of the QotS game, then even the good guys have started to throw in the towel, and who can blame them?
Is there a single Houston signing that would get pass marks for this season? I doubt it very much. They wouldn’t put in a shift for Houston, and now they won’t do it for Hartley. Maybe most of them can find a manager in League 1 or 2 that they are prepared to turn up for.
Miller Hippolyte and Austin can all claim to have moved upwards, but for both Austin and Miller, it had better be for one season only, or Hartley himself might be in bother.

Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Ricey » Sunday 15th 2018f April 2018 03:06:08 PM

Let’s not forget he has signed 8 of HIS players who all should be trying. Hartley May have kept us up but hasn’t done anything to convince me he is the man for the job.