Inverness away

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
New Town Bairn
Under 18 first team
Under 18 first team

Inverness away

Post by New Town Bairn » Tuesday 10th 2018f April 2018 09:40:23 PM

Another defeat and things looking really bad with Dumbarton drawing then up pops a injury time winner for Morton. Thank God. Still in serious trouble with Dumbarton having back to back games v Inverness then the big one against us. Possibly for a place in next years Championship.

Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Re: Inverness away

Post by Ricey » Tuesday 10th 2018f April 2018 09:44:03 PM

Still not convinced Dumbarton can catch us but if they do Hartley should be emptied. He has had more than enough support to sign players to get us out of this mess.

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Tuesday 10th 2018f April 2018 10:11:10 PM

Still not overly worried.
If PH has played his cards, and players know their fate, then maybe a few will down tools and sabotage things between now and the end of the season. If that’s the case, I still think we have got way too much for play off winners from League 1 if the worst case scenario comes to pass.
However, PH would have some serious explaining to do.
Have to laugh at the “win our next two” brigade. We’ve lost both of them, and taken one point from the last nine.
We now go to a broken DU on Saturday. Another defeat (which I think is very likely), will have Hartley’s vision come under some serious scrutiny.
Although unlikely, it’s a distinct possibility that we don’t win again this season.

Now where’s that wonderful form book that everyone was getting so excited about two weeks ago. Those that chose to ignore how skewed it was because of the Brechin factor are maybe starting to wake up now. Performances were ignored, and while many hung their hats on results, performances were sending out signals that most chose to ignore.

AL_bairn
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by AL_bairn » Tuesday 10th 2018f April 2018 10:18:36 PM

As soon as those subs were made I knew we would lose. Hartley is starting to looking f****** useless. If he was to leave tonight if be delighted. Possibly an overreaction but I just don't think he can be trusted to build a team for next season.

Habib Utak Al Hansi
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Habib Utak Al Hansi » Tuesday 10th 2018f April 2018 10:51:26 PM

Dumbarton must simply hope that they are still alive when they play us a week on Saturday. They can then go balls-to-the-wall for a win which would take it to the final day. Still a long shot, but not impossible given the state we are in and the likelihood that we take nothing from Tannadice and Paisley.

We are just a joke these days. Hartley deserves the opportunity to carry out a revamp this summer, but nothing he is doing at the moment convinces.
PEP SHITTY SHOES - GTF

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Tuesday 10th 2018f April 2018 11:45:04 PM

I think he still needs time. He was under pressure in January, and his hit rate of positives in Longridge, Robson, Nelson and Jak far outweigh the negatives.
There wasn’t much he could do about the contracted negatives in the defence and midfield, and it’s those guys who are real issues.
I just hope that those hoping we hang on to Grant/Muirhead wake up to the fact that those are the very people we need to move on.
We need a strong team ethic, not a Captain Courageous. The teams above us are doing very well without a Muirhead or Grant in their defences. All (including St Mirren) would bite your hand off for a Robson.
This summer is probably our one and only chance to wipe the slate clean, and pick the few we really really want to keep (and keep for the right reasons, not cult hero worship, or for a laugh).
Falkirk FC might well have its toes curled over the edge of the precipice here, and really needs to get first team recruitment decisions right. No manager gets them all right, but we probably need a ratio of four good guys to every dud coming in.
That’s near enough the polar opposite of Houton’s ratio.

Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Ricey » Wednesday 11th 2018f April 2018 12:00:37 AM

Totally agree we avoid relegation playoff and Hartley earns himself a pop at next season where expectation will of course be set much higher. Not convinced the signings have been as positive as many make out. Jakubiak aside and possibly Robson (who’s form has gone backwards from the rampant full back that arrived) I can’t say the others have impressed me. It’s all very well signing players slightly better than we have this season next season if we are to challenge we need another step up in quality altogether.

Pete
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Pete » Wednesday 11th 2018f April 2018 07:39:00 AM

Only watched the last 20 and it was rubbish, hopefully ict will do us a favour and beat dumbarton in the next two games.

Brian Scrimegour
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Brian Scrimegour » Wednesday 11th 2018f April 2018 09:50:48 AM

Dont understand why so many people seem to rate longridge. He performs one week out of about every 4 and slows the play down far too much with his need to take 10 or 12 touches before releasing the ball. A squad player next season at best but I'd rather he was punted for better quality.

rusty_nail
First Team sub
First Team sub

Post by rusty_nail » Wednesday 11th 2018f April 2018 09:59:14 AM

Have to say that I'm unconvinced that PH will get us competing nearer the top next season.

Jakubiak aside, I haven't seen anything in the players he's brought in that assures me that the new strategy will work.

Robson has regressed (akin to Gallacher as they're both inexperienced) and I don't get the adulation for Nelson. He isn't a poacher nor lightning quick and is on par with a confident Nathan Austin.

I would suspect we sacrificed the wages of some of those who left in January (Hippolyte, Austin and Craigen) to afford these guys instead of rebuilding their confidence and form.

Sadly, based on recent results I can see us sleep walking into the play-off trap-door as we've one a watch this year with Brechin being whipping boys.

Hartley has made little ground on those above us and taking a harsh view, Dumbarton and Brechin have slipped as opposed to us moving away from them. Next season is going to be another tough watch :(
Contemplating the future of One F in Falkirk

AL_bairn
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by AL_bairn » Wednesday 11th 2018f April 2018 11:07:47 AM

I'm definitely unconvinced with Hartley but I don't think we can move forward until that shambles of a defence has been completely replaced. I'm surprised he has stuck to 3 at the back considering all our centre halves are complete bombscares.

Big job for Hartley in the summer let's just keep our fingers crossed he gets it right.

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Wednesday 11th 2018f April 2018 12:45:36 PM

Yep, Robson has gone backwards, and I think it’s because he is being drawn down to the level of the Pre-January crew.
Hartley didn’t manage to bring in enough new players to change the mindset of the team, and it’s the duds who still rule the roost.

At the end of the day, Paul Hartley is keen to manage at a level above Falkirk FC. That is a good thing. That ambition will hopefully result in us being a far better side than we are today.
I reckoned Hartley was going to have to manage the hell out of the players for the remainder of the season. Even that might not be enough. At the end of the day, it’s senior players who pi$$ing on Hartley’s chips, but he has little choice but to cajole them over the line before kicking them out the door.
A good few of them don’t seem to realise it, but they are writing their own career epitaphs, and Hartley will have to be absolutely ruthless in a couple of months time.
I also reckon next season will be transitional, and I am expecting much better, but not league winning performances.

Creative Redemption
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Creative Redemption » Wednesday 11th 2018f April 2018 01:34:31 PM

Brian Scrimegour wrote:
Wednesday 11th 2018f April 2018 09:50:48 AM
Dont understand why so many people seem to rate longridge. He performs one week out of about every 4 and slows the play down far too much with his need to take 10 or 12 touches before releasing the ball. A squad player next season at best but I'd rather he was punted for better quality.
Totally agree with this. Im not condeming the lad, as when he plays well, he really is a talented player.
However, we get one good game in every 6 from him. (1 in 4 is being a bit ambitious IMO). Apart from Dundee Utd, Morton, and scoring against QotS last week when coming on as a sub, what other games has he been above the level of players we have, or already have?
The last thing we need is another player to only perform occasionally.
Here comes the doom.

Ranaldo Bairn
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Ranaldo Bairn » Wednesday 11th 2018f April 2018 06:26:37 PM

Someone recently jokingly Christened him Louis XIV.

This is about right as he has one good game for every fecking 14 he plays.
"You, who have destroyed so much - can you name even one thing you have created? I thought not. There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue Physicist."

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Thursday 12th 2018f April 2018 01:42:09 AM

Ranaldo Bairn wrote:
Wednesday 11th 2018f April 2018 06:26:37 PM
Someone recently jokingly Christened him Louis XIV.

This is about right as he has one good game for every fecking 14 he plays.
...and I think Hartley understood that, but given how little scope he had for changes, he gambled that he was the manager capable of changing his frequency of good games versus mediocre ones. Clearly, it hasn’t gone to plan, and it wouldn’t surprise me if Hartley decides to move him on too.

Brian Scrimegour
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Brian Scrimegour » Thursday 12th 2018f April 2018 11:19:57 AM

Duncan Freemason wrote:
Wednesday 11th 2018f April 2018 12:45:36 PM
Yep, Robson has gone backwards, and I think it’s because he is being drawn down to the level of the Pre-January crew.
Hartley didn’t manage to bring in enough new players to change the mindset of the team, and it’s the duds who still rule the roost.

At the end of the day, Paul Hartley is keen to manage at a level above Falkirk FC. That is a good thing. That ambition will hopefully result in us being a far better side than we are today.
I reckoned Hartley was going to have to manage the hell out of the players for the remainder of the season. Even that might not be enough. At the end of the day, it’s senior players who pi$$ing on Hartley’s chips, but he has little choice but to cajole them over the line before kicking them out the door.
A good few of them don’t seem to realise it, but they are writing their own career epitaphs, and Hartley will have to be absolutely ruthless in a couple of months time.
I also reckon next season will be transitional, and I am expecting much better, but not league winning performances.
I get the feeling that Robson has been told to curtail his forward runs as he definitely seems more constrained than he was when he first came in to the side. It also wont help that he has a bomb scare like peter grant playing on his side of the defence. He also seems to have become less dangerous since we dropped tumilty from the right hand side. Teams can load up defensively against our left side knowing that very little will come down our right flank. A decent right back should still be one of our main priorities this summer.

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Thursday 12th 2018f April 2018 12:01:18 PM

It’s a bit of a sad indictment on Peter Houston that our priority player acquisitions at the end of the season are a right back, maybe a left back, one (maybe two) centre back(s), an attacking midfielder, two defensive midfielders, and a couple of forwards.
I can see Loy McKee and Harris being offered with even a wee bit of their wages paid by FFC if there’s no takers. I think we might be that keen to get rid.

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Thursday 12th 2018f April 2018 03:33:52 PM

Creative Redemption wrote:
Wednesday 11th 2018f April 2018 01:34:31 PM
Brian Scrimegour wrote:
Wednesday 11th 2018f April 2018 09:50:48 AM
Totally agree with this. Im not condeming the lad, as when he plays well, he really is a talented player.
However, we get one good game in every 6 from him. (1 in 4 is being a bit ambitious IMO). Apart from Dundee Utd, Morton, and scoring against QotS last week when coming on as a sub, what other games has he been above the level of players we have, or already have?
The last thing we need is another player to only perform occasionally.
I agree with both of these he's had one or two great games but other than that id rather have kept hippo to be honest. I really don't want to watch another season of what we've consistently seen from him. if we are to get out this league we need players like Morgan who turn it on more consistently. sibbald is a far better player in what is a similar role.

on Hartley I'm happy with what he's done to date our form from a terrible situation since turn if the year has been play off position. will be interesting to see how he does next year. this league is never easy.
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Thursday 12th 2018f April 2018 06:29:51 PM

The only gnawing doubt about all of it, is that pre-Christmas, we were easily the worst of the eight full time clubs in this league.
Despite Hartley’s best efforts, the league table still says we are still the worst of the 8 full time clubs in the league. Not even the (stalled) upturn in results has been enough to get anywhere near to catching any other full time side.
QotS remain our best chance, but even given their near freefall of late, our run in now looks to be a wee mountain we aren’t capable of climbing.

ellonbairn
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by ellonbairn » Friday 13th 2018f April 2018 01:09:16 PM

I think we will get 1 point from our remaining games and finish 8th as i don't think Dumbarton will get any more than that. Its been a horrible season overall and we are taking a big risk in this big rebuilding Hartley is to do. How long do we give him for example if we are in the bottom half in October?