The clear-out

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
Habib Utak Al Hansi
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Re: The clear-out

Post by Habib Utak Al Hansi » Thursday 10th 2018f May 2018 03:40:43 PM

http://www.falkirkfc.co.uk/five-players ... on-201819/

Meh. McGhee and Robson fair enough, but the other three could have been seen far enough. What Kidd and O'Hara contribute is a total mystery, their wages combined could have been better used to attract one decent-standard Championship player. No mention of Longridge and Welsh, so hope and presume they are gone. Neither any great loss, although Longridge has ability and had some good performances, making him a better option than O'Hara at least.

Hoped and thought Hartley would have been far more ruthless than he has been. Instead we're again bloating up the squad with utter mediocrity on top of the deadweight Harris, Loy, McKee and Shepherd. Surely to God these four have been advised to spend the summer looking for an alternative employer.

No mention of Sibbald either.
PEP SHITTY SHOES - GTF

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Thursday 10th 2018f May 2018 04:24:04 PM

Habib Utak Al Hansi wrote:
Thursday 10th 2018f May 2018 03:40:43 PM
http://www.falkirkfc.co.uk/five-players ... on-201819/

Meh. McGhee and Robson fair enough, but the other three could have been seen far enough. What Kidd and O'Hara contribute is a total mystery, their wages combined could have been better used to attract one decent-standard Championship player. No mention of Longridge and Welsh, so hope and presume they are gone. Neither any great loss, although Longridge has ability and had some good performances, making him a better option than O'Hara at least.

Hoped and thought Hartley would have been far more ruthless than he has been. Instead we're again bloating up the squad with utter mediocrity on top of the deadweight Harris, Loy, McKee and Shepherd. Surely to God these four have been advised to spend the summer looking for an alternative employer.

No mention of Sibbald either.
pretty much my thoughts. appreciate it's very early and we may/will bring in some good players in the coming weeks however keeping a lot of these guys who've been given many chances and been not up to scratch utterly baffles me. as you say not offering some if these contracts would have freed up even more cash. even as fringe players they haven't offered much.

hopefully sibbald will sign
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Thursday 10th 2018f May 2018 09:33:59 PM

Well, the P&B crowd have got a happy frenzy going because Muirhead is staying. I reckon he will cause us more damage than just about any opposition player next season. With him in there, no chance whatsoever of central defence being solid.

Only concern I have is that it looks like there’s going to still be a lot of last season’s ghosts haunting the TFS. O’Hara’s only place to go after this season is club mascot.
Loy and Harris will probably just hunker down and take the cash. McKee? God only knows.

I know PH reckons another nine or ten(?) to come in, so I can only hope Muirhead becomes a Club Captain in a non playing capacity. I think we can already see that the clear out isn’t going to go as deep as most folks hoped for, and we might see a team consisting of half a dozen new guys, Sibbs and McGhee and three of last season’s numpty brigade. That’s not a great prospect.

Jarvis the Ginger General
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by Jarvis the Ginger General » Thursday 10th 2018f May 2018 09:58:17 PM

Yip agree with the above. Kidd and O'Hara havent been good enough for the last 2/3 years - christ knows why Hartley has kept them on - not even good enough to be on the bench or squad players. Need to get a much better standard than this. Muirhead should have also been shown the door. Shepherd, McKee, Harris and Loy all need to go too - appreciate they have 1 year left but we cant go into the season with 50% of the duffers that got us 8th this season.
Im constantly updating my hit parade of the 10 biggest w**ks on OneF.

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Thursday 10th 2018f May 2018 10:11:19 PM

I don’t have a problem with Muirhead, he has passion, has the bad bit in him, can play a couple of positions and takes a mean penalty . Not that keen on Kidd, he’s a neat and tidy player, but lacks the physical part of the game, he’s not fast enough or strong enough.

I happen to think a lot of Muirheads problems was caused by the powder puff crappy midfield, the lack of movement highlighted his poor distribution and lack of cover led him to try and win the ball when he should have stayed in position. We never had a problem with him defensively until this season.
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Friday 11th 2018f May 2018 12:52:49 AM

Don’t deny his passion. Previously, he was comically bad when played as a full back, and just seemed to revert to ropey as a centre back.
I remember Kevin Christie being utterly awful, and then Den Biemen arrived, and hey presto, Christie was excellent when Stik took him by the scruff of the neck, and indulged in a bit of command and control over Christie.
All I can hope our new big unit at the back can exert the same sort of control over Muirhead’s positional stupidity. Nothing is going to improve his rank rotten passing, so all the big guy can do is take the ball off him as often as possible.
Just got to hope that the bad influences who slowly dragged down Robson Nelson and Jak are now gone, or completely marginalised, but there still seems to be an awful lot of failures hanging around the place, but I guess there’s still plenty of time for them to waddle off to another club (here’s hoping).
Not too worried, but PH doesn’t seem to be making any “win the league” predictions, and is (rightly) talking about the play offs too. Just got a sneaky feeling that he is far from certain that he can put together what he needs with so many players on the books eating up the budget but who are nowhere near good enough. Must be frustrating for him. Stripping back the squad to something like 20 players knowing that 25% of them are chocolate fireguards.

Habib Utak Al Hansi
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Habib Utak Al Hansi » Friday 11th 2018f May 2018 01:36:04 AM

Duncan Freemason wrote:
Friday 11th 2018f May 2018 12:52:49 AM
Must be frustrating for him. Stripping back the squad to something like 20 players knowing that 25% of them are chocolate fireguards.
No one put a gun to his head and forced him to re-sign Kidd and O'Hara, or make offers to the likes of Longridge and Welsh, which may yet be accepted, tying up even more of his budget in mediocre players. His hands are tied by the contract status of Loy, Harris and McKee, Loy must be the highest-paid Under 20s player going and the other two will be on a decent wage as well. If he chose to re-sign only McGhee, Robson, Sibbald and, at a push, Muirhead, there would then have been scope to make perhaps 12 or 13 signings, with maybe the possibility for additional business if some of those under contract could somehow be moved on. So the clean slate scenario would have been achievable. Instead there are references to maintaing a core group of players and "continuity". Continuing what exactly? Struggling in the lower reaches of the second tier of Scottish football. I'd have passed on that sort of continuity tbh.
PEP SHITTY SHOES - GTF

Brian Scrimegour
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Brian Scrimegour » Friday 11th 2018f May 2018 10:23:04 AM

We're going to have to have players to play in the reserves that can cover a number of positions. Better having the likes of Kidd and O'Hara on cheap wages than wasting cash on wages and signing on fees to bring in others to do the same job. As long as these guys arent starting every week then I dont have an issue if it allows us to have more cash available to sign the first team regulars. I would expect Loy to be off or at least playing elsewhere on loan next season to free up some cash. Harris the same I would think.

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Friday 11th 2018f May 2018 10:33:50 PM

Must admit to not giving a thought to a reserve team.PH talking about a stripped back squad of 20 players doesn’t even cover the basics of two starting elevens, so I guess he must be looking at the first team bench guys also being a key part of the reserve team and the others being younger players.
I guess the worry is Loy and Harris just shrug their shoulders and put cash before first team football and take the easy option of taking the max while giving the absolute minimum. Shame if it pans out that way.
Probably the best we can hope for is a season long loan out of both with us probably having to shell out for a chunk of their wages.

Quidsin
Promising Young Manager
Promising Young Manager

Post by Quidsin » Saturday 12th 2018f May 2018 09:14:37 AM

On a different note Livingston. What are they doing so right that we are doing so wrong as a Club? They have next to no fan base, been virtually bust every other year, and yet they are on the verge of promotion via the play offs? Where have Falkirk FC failed where Franchise FC are ‘thriving’.
SAFE TERRACING FOR TFS EAST STAND.
"Falkirk Flyfishing, my name yes, it's Paul J Hartley"

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Saturday 12th 2018f May 2018 01:57:17 PM

I am biased(in that years back, I understood their business practices very well).
Firstly, they have a convicted sex offender, a convicted thug and a convicted drug dealer all involved. Couple of them are very decent players that most other clubs wouldn’t touch, but Livingston have never been shy to have dodgey dealers around the place.
Pure conjecture, but given that they cannot possibly be bankrolling this themselves, then money from elsewhere is being circulated through the club.
They never reduce their debt, and I would imagine (again conjecture) that they might choose to operate two sets of books as they did in the past. Part of players wages used to be declared, some of it was just done as cash.
Like I say, that was in the past, but come on, is it really credible that a football club has a large full time squad year in, year out, (even when relegated to the fourth and third tiers), and it’s all being done above board on a home support of 600-700? Unless you are paying these full time players in jelly babies, something is permanently not right.
Are they still at it now? Who knows. Clearly, their shout five years ago of £1 in, £0.99p out was absolute bollocks. I would imagine it still is.

havenbairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by havenbairn » Monday 14th 2018f May 2018 04:12:59 PM

Brian Scrimegour wrote:
Friday 11th 2018f May 2018 10:23:04 AM
We're going to have to have players to play in the reserves that can cover a number of positions. Better having the likes of Kidd and O'Hara on cheap wages than wasting cash on wages and signing on fees to bring in others to do the same job.
Begs the question, why do we need a reserve team.

I thought all our time, money and energy was going on the first team squad.

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Monday 14th 2018f May 2018 05:19:57 PM

havenbairn wrote:
Monday 14th 2018f May 2018 04:12:59 PM
[quote="Brian Scrimegour" post_id=570590 time=<a href="tel:1526030584">1526030584</a> user_id=135]
We're going to have to have players to play in the reserves that can cover a number of positions. Better having the likes of Kidd and O'Hara on cheap wages than wasting cash on wages and signing on fees to bring in others to do the same job.
Begs the question, why do we need a reserve team.

I thought all our time, money and energy was going on the first team squad.
[/quote]

Unlike the development team, I think reserve team football is very important for first team success. It will allow young players to show their metal against experience pros and allow first team fringe players to maintain match fitness and gain confidence playing regular football matches.

Ideally it would be good to have a development side and a reserve team but if it’s a choice of one or the other then I’d much rather have a reserve team.

Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Ricey » Monday 14th 2018f May 2018 08:59:19 PM

I agree reserve football is better than development football but this wasn’t a choice of the club anyway as there is no u20 league any more. Where I am slightly concerned is that it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out that the reserve team will be more expensive than the u20s so not sure where the money is coming from to give us our biggest first team budget and biggest back up team budget since the premiership.

Good to see another arrival today and another 6fter into the bargain. Looks like we ain’t going to be bullied next season that’s for sure

Back Post Misses
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Back Post Misses » Tuesday 15th 2018f May 2018 05:30:48 AM

Ricey wrote:
Monday 14th 2018f May 2018 08:59:19 PM
I agree reserve football is better than development football but this wasn’t a choice of the club anyway as there is no u20 league any more. Where I am slightly concerned is that it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out that the reserve team will be more expensive than the u20s so not sure where the money is coming from to give us our biggest first team budget and biggest back up team budget since the premiership.

Good to see another arrival today and another 6fter into the bargain. Looks like we ain’t going to be bullied next season that’s for sure
Never been convinced of this will be the biggest budget since relegation statement. The season after we got relegated we had some big earners. Olejnik, O'Brien, Flynn, Scobbie, McLean and Finnigan. Those were all on significantly more than we are paying now. Those type of contracts nearly sent us under.

havenbairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by havenbairn » Tuesday 15th 2018f May 2018 12:19:12 PM

What is the story with Sibbald ?

I thought we had an option in his contract to retain him for another year.

Pete
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Pete » Tuesday 15th 2018f May 2018 02:15:42 PM

According to the official website we have "the option to extend this by a further year until June 2019" I can only assume that the club failed to exercise this option within the required timescales hence why he hasn't yet signed on,

Kiddy
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Kiddy » Tuesday 15th 2018f May 2018 06:44:46 PM

havenbairn wrote:
Tuesday 15th 2018f May 2018 12:19:12 PM
What is the story with Sibbald ?

I thought we had an option in his contract to retain him for another year.
He's pishin it up in #Maga! Apparently.
No financial regulation, no corporate governance, no enlarged divisions, no summer football, no single ruling body, no new cash, no integrity. Behold the 'bright new dawn' for Scottish football,

Falkirkfan6871
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Falkirkfan6871 » Tuesday 15th 2018f May 2018 07:59:15 PM

Quidsin wrote:
Saturday 12th 2018f May 2018 09:14:37 AM
On a different note Livingston. What are they doing so right that we are doing so wrong as a Club? They have next to no fan base, been virtually bust every other year, and yet they are on the verge of promotion via the play offs? Where have Falkirk FC failed where Franchise FC are ‘thriving’.
Yes please tell me the answer to this one. I mean it’s been a while since they were in the top flight however two back to back promotions would be impressive.

Kiddy
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Kiddy » Tuesday 15th 2018f May 2018 08:53:25 PM

Rumoured Redmond from Accies & Tam Scobbie! (I know, it was via twitter).
No financial regulation, no corporate governance, no enlarged divisions, no summer football, no single ruling body, no new cash, no integrity. Behold the 'bright new dawn' for Scottish football,