The clear-out

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Re: The clear-out

Post by Duncan Freemason » Tuesday 01st 2018f May 2018 02:52:56 PM

You might be right, you might be wrong. Definitely very few will be happy if that current list is intended to be a “clear out”.
The thought of what remains being the core of a Championship winning team is totally laughable. Here’s hoping PH thinks that idea is laughable too.

Creative Redemption
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Creative Redemption » Tuesday 01st 2018f May 2018 04:44:20 PM

The cull has not finished. He can only get rid of players who's contracts have expired.
Once the end of May comes, at least another 5 or 6 will be gone in my opinion.
I dont think there is any doubt Harltey knows who is and isnt good enough.
You cant get rid of everyone in case he cant get replacements of a better calibre.
Its a balancing act, and the likes of Kidd (who personally I dont mind) will only be replaced if better is out there. There are certainly better players available, but within our wage structure? im not so sure.
This will be a true test of Hartleys skills to build a team. He will be under pressure to have a team challenging for the title, and to get players out, get new players in, getting them gelling and playing how he wants, AND get us up challenging all in one season will be extremely tough.
Thats what his remit will be, so good luck to him.
The knives will be out by end of October if its not worked out.
Here comes the doom.

hobbes
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by hobbes » Tuesday 01st 2018f May 2018 05:30:30 PM

It's worth remembering that whilst the games are over the season isn't. I'd imagine most of the players were signed with promotion / playoffs in mind so won't be released until the end of May. We've maybe heard about Grant, Taiwo etc as they have something lined up (as happened with Miller and Kerr etc in January). One thing is certain, we need a good close season and a good start to next season or the dark clouds will be circling again.
Is your child hyperactive; or is he perhaps a twat?

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Tuesday 01st 2018f May 2018 07:29:19 PM

I know I keep saying it, but next season we really need to set down a marker of winning the first game of the season for the first time in over a decade.

John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by John Markie » Tuesday 01st 2018f May 2018 10:16:03 PM

Worrying that Welsh, Kidd and most of all Muirhead have as yet not been culled. If thats the calibre of player Hartley sees as being good enough to get us promoted then we are fcuked. These three along with Loy and Harris need moved along as quickly as possible. Unfortunately the latter two have another year on their contracts, so there will need to be a bit of horse trading done to get shot of them. I am more than a tad concerned that we start the season with a top heavy squad of this years failures and a few new faces, and just hoping for other teams to be in the same boat. I know its early days but if this is the extent of the clear out then we are going nowhere next season.
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

AL_bairn
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by AL_bairn » Tuesday 01st 2018f May 2018 10:35:14 PM

I'm sure more will be released when their contracts have ran out. Stop all the knicker wetting and have some patience!

havenbairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by havenbairn » Wednesday 02nd 2018f May 2018 08:12:13 AM

Duncan Freemason wrote:
Tuesday 01st 2018f May 2018 07:29:19 PM
I know I keep saying it, but next season we really need to set down a marker of winning the first game of the season for the first time in over a decade.
It doesn't help when all your opening fixtures are away from home because there is a pop concert at your stadium. :flame:

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Wednesday 02nd 2018f May 2018 09:59:42 AM

If a players contracts runs out before the start of the season, they should be freed, if only so they have a better chance of getting a new club - that's only fair.

So why are Welsh and Kidd still here? They have to be staying or at least in the managers thoughts if a potential signing falls through.

A potential midfield of Kidd, McKee, Welsh and Sibbald appearing for Falkirk next season is unacceptable and unless there are massive signings that render 3 of those 4 to the periphery of the of the first team squad not the first eleven - We will struggle again and expect a massive drop in season tickets too.
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

AL_bairn
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by AL_bairn » Wednesday 02nd 2018f May 2018 10:11:58 AM

Olaf Thom wrote:
Wednesday 02nd 2018f May 2018 09:59:42 AM
If a players contracts runs out before the start of the season, they should be freed, if only so they have a better chance of getting a new club - that's only fair.

So why are Welsh and Kidd still here? They have to be staying or at least in the managers thoughts if a potential signing falls through.

A potential midfield of Kidd, McKee, Welsh and Sibbald appearing for Falkirk next season is unacceptable and unless there are massive signings that render 3 of those 4 to the periphery of the of the first team squad not the first eleven - We will struggle again and expect a massive drop in season tickets too.
I'm not sure how the contract situation works but I'd imagine they are still under contract until the play-offs and Scottish Cup Final are done with. Why the others were released right away I can't answer but I'm not sure it means that the other are to be offered new deals. I wouldn't be too happy if the players that have been released are the only ones to get punted but I'm willing to wait and see what happens before I have a good moan about it.

BeanCountingBairn
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by BeanCountingBairn » Wednesday 02nd 2018f May 2018 11:48:06 AM

AL_bairn wrote:
Tuesday 01st 2018f May 2018 10:35:14 PM
I'm sure more will be released when their contracts have ran out. Stop all the knicker wetting and have some patience!
But wouldn't it be nice to be on the front foot for once with one or two decent pre-contract signings? Aside from cheering us up after a miserable season, it might also encourage fans to renew season tickets. Actions speak louder than words and all that.

Mind you, I think our most recent pre-contract signing was James Craigen....

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Wednesday 02nd 2018f May 2018 11:58:41 AM

AL_bairn wrote:
Wednesday 02nd 2018f May 2018 10:11:58 AM

I'm not sure how the contract situation works but I'd imagine they are still under contract until the play-offs and Scottish Cup Final are done with. Why the others were released right away I can't answer but I'm not sure it means that the other are to be offered new deals. I wouldn't be too happy if the players that have been released are the only ones to get punted but I'm willing to wait and see what happens before I have a good moan about it.
So if we got to the Scottish Cup final (Don't Laugh) these players could have walked out or held a gun to the club? Unlikely even for us.
They could have said Taiwo, Grant etc... Have been released and Welsh, Kidd etc.. won't be offered new terms at the end of their contract.

So I think they are staying or could be staying if he cannot find anyone better and that is a diabolical liberty.
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

ekbairn
Under 18 sub
Under 18 sub

Post by ekbairn » Wednesday 02nd 2018f May 2018 12:45:05 PM

Everyone appears to be 2nd guessing Hartley. We don't know what's on his mind so let him get on with it. He done the job of making sure we didn't get relegated, in fact if we had assembled the same points in the 1st half of the season, we would have been in the playoffs. If you are not happy with his comings & goings come the start of the season, that's the time to make your feelings known.

Brian Scrimegour
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Brian Scrimegour » Wednesday 02nd 2018f May 2018 03:13:08 PM

With a large bunch of under 20's getting shipped out we're going to need players for our reserve team anyway i suppose. Anyone know how many u20's we have left if any?

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Wednesday 02nd 2018f May 2018 07:49:43 PM

This all feels a bit like the footballing equivalent of the French Revolution, and the crowd are getting restless waiting on the next player being brought out for their turn on the contractual guillotine.
Time to get the knitting out.

Am going to try to keep the heid, and trust Hartley to get this right. It’s as vital to him as it is to us. His stock went up sharply at Alloa, and then crumbled badly at Dundee. He has to get this right for his sake as well as ours. If not, he’s condemned to be regarded as a poor man’s Sam Allardyce who is good for rescuing struggling sides, and keeping them in whatever league they currently occupy, but no better than that. I think (and hope) he has more ambition than that.

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Thursday 03rd 2018f May 2018 10:16:37 AM

Duncan Freemason wrote:
Wednesday 02nd 2018f May 2018 07:49:43 PM
This all feels a bit like the footballing equivalent of the French Revolution, and the crowd are getting restless waiting on the next player being brought out for their turn on the contractual guillotine.
Time to get the knitting out.

Am going to try to keep the heid, and trust Hartley to get this right. It’s as vital to him as it is to us. His stock went up sharply at Alloa, and then crumbled badly at Dundee. He has to get this right for his sake as well as ours. If not, he’s condemned to be regarded as a poor man’s Sam Allardyce who is good for rescuing struggling sides, and keeping them in whatever league they currently occupy, but no better than that. I think (and hope) he has more ambition than that.
Bit unfair. Got Dundee promoted after they started slipping in the league and took them to the top 6 in his first season in the top flight. Struggled after losing his 2 top goal scorers in Stewart and Hemmings but might well have kept them up last year had he been given the chance.

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Thursday 03rd 2018f May 2018 11:42:32 AM

Thing is, managers tend to be judged on their last season. It takes a long time to build a body of work that becomes the basis of how a manager is judged.
Allardyce, Pulis and Redknapp would be three who became “The Rescuers” managers.
Fair or not, they all got reps as fabulous shorter term fixers, but question marks over their ability to keep on improving clubs season on season.
Hartley isn’t at an age where he would be looking to be seen as this sort of manager.

Brian Scrimegour
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Brian Scrimegour » Thursday 03rd 2018f May 2018 01:14:16 PM

The question marks over Hartley were really whether he could take Dundee to the next level in the top flight or not. He won promotion with Alloa and then moved to Dundee and won promotion with them. First season in the top flight I think they were top 6 and then things started to slide. At the moment I would actually see him more as a Neil Warnock or Steve Bruce type. Someone who can get you into the top flight hasnt convinced anyone that he can take you on from there rather than someone you would bring in to keep you in the league. He wasn't brought in by us just to do that but to take us up next season hopefully.

Kiddy
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Kiddy » Thursday 03rd 2018f May 2018 03:28:54 PM

Any chance of clearing out the Bozo's running the joint.
They can't even organise their trademarks!
https://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/sport/f ... -1-4734219
No financial regulation, no corporate governance, no enlarged divisions, no summer football, no single ruling body, no new cash, no integrity. Behold the 'bright new dawn' for Scottish football,

gruezi ffc
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by gruezi ffc » Thursday 03rd 2018f May 2018 03:33:32 PM

Kiddy wrote:
Thursday 03rd 2018f May 2018 03:28:54 PM
Any chance of clearing out the Bozo's running the joint.
They can't even organise their trademarks!
https://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/sport/f ... -1-4734219
The head Bozo costs the club £70k a year !

I wonder how he justifies this wage?

Would be interesting to see what benefits he actually brings to the club and how it differentiates from what the Chairperson and her team should be doing !
Come the revolution......George will be first against the wall :D

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Thursday 03rd 2018f May 2018 10:11:08 PM

Was just thinking about the contract situation. Can understand the thoughts about some being contracted till the end of May however just thought that if that is the case for others that are unwanted then why not pay them till the end of their contract and let them go now? No club wanting them will come in before they’re out of contract so we’re going to pay them anyway so if their not wanted then would it not be best to just tell them to go and find a new club. Having them hang around can’t be of much good when they know they’re just here for another couple of weeks.