Falkirk v Morton

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
ellonbairn
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Re: Falkirk v Morton

Post by ellonbairn » Friday 09th 2018f March 2018 06:45:27 PM

I think Muirhead was simply too fired up for his own good on Sunday re-the incident when he should have been sent off. He simply isn't good enough - his only skill is taking penalties so hopefully we get more penalties than Morton.

Sir Jones
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Sir Jones » Friday 09th 2018f March 2018 07:56:32 PM

If Harkins is playing tomorrow then the best we can hope for is a draw. I am in now way suggesting he is Morton's messiah but he is double the size in height and width of any of our midfield and will have a field day. Our surface will make it easier for him to keep pace.

We've got 10 games to go this season and we absolutely must build serious momentum over those games to take into next season. I've just about seen enough to write off next season already to be honest but with a cheeky run and a small climb up the table there may be enough to be optimistic about. It's just a pity that our lot are largely a collection of bottlers who don't get stuck in.

I don't see Hartley changing things up. He has a way he wants to play - he just needs to find the personnel.
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Friday 09th 2018f March 2018 08:23:49 PM

Totally agree. Hartley’s Alloa was all about a good keeper, a good centre back pairing, one creative and one hard man midfielder, and one battling front guy. The rest of the team clipped themselves onto those six, and the rest was Fergie’S old “repeat repeat repeat” mantra.
There wasn’t much in the way of exceptionally brilliant performances, but crucially, there wasn’t much in the way of “not up for it today” collapses.
They played the averages, and turned in solid dependable performances week in, week out. When the highly strung supposed fancy sides like us turned up, Alloa could take a defeat on the chin, but if they sensed a weakness (like that eejit Roberts), they handed out a doing.
Hartley won’t turn us into the Liverpool of the Scottish Championship, that’s for sure. If he gets in the players he wants, we won’t be hammer throwers, but we will be much more capable of winning a scrap than we are now.

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Saturday 10th 2018f March 2018 10:54:59 AM

it's unusual to have a whole season where you aren't happy with any area of your team.

we've switched goalies all season and not one of them is a stand out

in defence we've leaked goals all season and seem unsure of best formation now 5 at the back

in midfield we are slow small and fairly easily outmuscled

in attack before the season started I was excited about loy Austin hippo etc two of them have gone and loy has been a massive disappointment we've not scored enough and now have two new strikers in while shepherd is out on loan again and ohara still fails to make his mark

it would be easier rebuilding if we gave a couple of these areas right this season but to rebuild all 4 in one season and hope they click will be a big ask
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Saturday 10th 2018f March 2018 11:07:33 AM

Who knows what Falkirk team will turn up

Longridge is due a good game, we are due a bit of luck at home but we could easily collapse and get gubbed.

It certainly isn't predictable going to games this season.
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Saturday 10th 2018f March 2018 12:18:52 PM

Bridge of Allan Bairn wrote:
Saturday 10th 2018f March 2018 10:54:59 AM
it's unusual to have a whole season where you aren't happy with any area of your team.

it would be easier rebuilding if we gave a couple of these areas right this season but to rebuild all 4 in one season and hope they click will be a big ask
Good point. Defence is a total write off except Robson and McGhee. Midfield has worthy candidates in Taiwo and Sibbs, but if they are to be fixtures next season, then we need a couple of Herman Munsters in there with them.
Fool that I am, I reckon Nelson might still come good. Jak and Longridge should be comfortably good enough at this level. If Longridge were halfway consistent, he’d be at a top six club. I reckon Hartley hoped to unlock that consistency thing, and that was always a gamble.
Probably time for Shepherd to move on (along with most of our squad). I suppose Hippolyte and Austin could claim to have left and moved (slightly) upwards, but probably a very temporary state of affairs. Everyone that leaves us from this point forward is going downwards. Says it all I guess.
Last edited by Duncan Freemason on Saturday 10th 2018f March 2018 01:46:16 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Saturday 10th 2018f March 2018 01:19:07 PM

Taiwo is sooo over rated he only shines because the rest are so weak and Lily-livered. He appears to at least have some professional pride but he doesn’t have the physical attributes or condition needed to make a difference to make our midfield effective.
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Saturday 10th 2018f March 2018 03:02:49 PM

Olaf Thom wrote:
Saturday 10th 2018f March 2018 01:19:07 PM
Taiwo is sooo over rated he only shines because the rest are so weak and Lily-livered. He appears to at least have some professional pride but he doesn’t have the physical attributes or condition needed to make a difference to make our midfield effective.
I agree. Taiwo is a limited player but I think players that try their all should always be appreciated. Doesn’t mean to say we shouldn’t be looking to get in better quality but Taiwo is far down the list of people I’d be looking to replace.

Sir Jones
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Sir Jones » Saturday 10th 2018f March 2018 07:04:17 PM

Dade wrote:
Saturday 10th 2018f March 2018 03:02:49 PM
Olaf Thom wrote:
Saturday 10th 2018f March 2018 01:19:07 PM
I agree. Taiwo is a limited player but I think players that try their all should always be appreciated. Doesn’t mean to say we shouldn’t be looking to get in better quality but Taiwo is far down the list of people I’d be looking to replace.
After today I'm not so sure - we were far better without Taiwo. Did Morton just have a very off opening 45 minutes? Perhaps, but on the other hand we played with real fluency in that first half today and was it not for some poor decision making in the second half we would have totally pumped them.

Very encouraging performance. Might seem OTT but Muirhead was the only one that didn't hit the mark for me today.
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.

dixie chicken
International Sub
International Sub

Post by dixie chicken » Saturday 10th 2018f March 2018 07:18:02 PM

Strange game today.
We were miles ahead of them in that first half today without being outstanding.
For me, the 2 strikers won it for us. Nelson’s work rate is just phenomenal.
They couldn’t cope with either of them.
Biggest disaster for me was Tumilty who could do nothing right. Hopefully, he’ll be gone at the end of the season.
Midfield was also disappointing with Blair definitely not the answer.
Taiwo at his best would have been the answer today.
Sibbald is still not very inspiring.
Longridge was a bit better today but some of his passing was grim.
There’s the basis of a decent side there but we need a right back and a couple of decent midfielders.
A younger Harkins would be great.

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Saturday 10th 2018f March 2018 07:18:50 PM

An easy win, Morton were rank in the first half and we cocked up at least 3 superb chances to run up a hammering in the 2nd

It worries me that when winning by 3 goals the players should be super confident and agresssive in front of goal - we muck about and fluff our lines! Lord only knows what they’d be like whilst under pressure! Very Odd!

Alex, Nelson and Sibbald were best for me, not impressed by Longridge or Blair, should be safe now and looking up the table.

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Saturday 10th 2018f March 2018 07:30:54 PM

Excellent start, well taken penalty, and a Morton side that has been so good away from home, and who rarely concede two goals this season, and never concede three on league business decide that one of their favourite hunting grounds in recent times is the perfect place to chuck those stats in the bin.
Seven or eight years ago, whenever we were in trouble and in need of a failure buddy to help us along, Hamilton were our go to opposition.
This season for whatever reason, it’s Morton.
It wasn’t even particularly difficult today, even though we all knew that we’d concede sooner or later. Thankfully, a stonewall penalty, a classy finish from Nelson (here’s hoping the dam now bursts, and he rattles in a few more), and The Yak put the game to bed early on.
For all that, it never felt like we were utterly dominant, but Morton were pleasingly lethargic all over the park.
No failures for us today, just the usual issues at the back, but Morton chose to play Baird and McHugh thus ensuring they were in no position to capitalise.
Great three points, and farewell Dumbarton. The name of the game for us now is to make life really uncomfortable for ICT and the Fifers....especially the Fifers.

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Saturday 10th 2018f March 2018 08:09:40 PM

good to see the normally calm giant central defensive pairing of Morton really struggle with the physicality directness and speed of jakubiak and Nelson compared to previous games. it's what we've been missing they won't get many harder afternoons

thought first half was like Dumbarton game except this time we were more clinical. eased off second half and Morton were better side without looking like getting anything from game.

longridge was frustrating again giving the ball away needlessly many times when in great positions saving grace was he was involved in second goal. goalie looked decent at high balls and Morton except for late goal never looked like sciring.

mid March and absolutely freezing. seats were soaking far back in main stand its like theres no roof at all. still want them to cover the sides of main stand.

Dixie mentioned Harkins. I'd have him at falkirk next season even if a bit part player. still good engine physically strong and big unit good in air excellent dead ball delivery broke our play down loads of times and better goal scoring record than anyone in our team pretty much what out midfield has missed thus season.

good win against a form side and whisper it but if they lose on Tuesday night away to livvi we are only 8 points behind with a game in hand. unfortunately our next two games are away to livvi and st mirren
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

Creative Redemption
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Creative Redemption » Saturday 10th 2018f March 2018 10:16:50 PM

Strange game. We were ok, and 3:0 by half time. Great pen and two good goals made it comfortable.
I hate picking players out, but the pen aside, Muirhead was just awful. Tumilty and Longridge were poor too. I actually thought Blair was ok considering how much game time he’s had.
Chance after chance squandered in the second half to make it a beating.
Nelson had his best game for us. His touch, strength,pace and skill were fantastic. Nearly a goal of the season in the first half but unlucky it hit the bar. Second half he brought a ball out the sky on a sixpence, which was “Latapy-esk”.
Good win.
Tough game next week. At least we can say we should be safe now. Oh how we have fallen....
Here comes the doom.

kemlinbairn
Under 18 superstar
Under 18 superstar

Post by kemlinbairn » Sunday 11th 2018f March 2018 12:22:52 AM

Good win today but could have been more. Great start to the 1st half and we kept going for once and didn't let Morton back into the game. Bit of a strange 2nd half where we just didn't kick on and missed a couple of chances to really hammer it home to them and was really disappointed that we couldn't keep a clean sheet but in the end a win is a win at this stage of the season.
Up front the forwards worked hard and caused them problems, midfield was ok and I thought Sibbs done well in there, defence not bad.
Anyway onwards to our next 2 away days and lets see how it all pans out from there
Last edited by kemlinbairn on Sunday 11th 2018f March 2018 10:46:13 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Ranaldo Bairn
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Ranaldo Bairn » Sunday 11th 2018f March 2018 12:55:34 AM

Muirhead was fine. Several good interceptions, and really only sclaffed a couple of headers. But he's the go-to scapegoat, so...

Longridge, pass for goal 2 aside, was horse. Tumilty too. Blair improved as things went on. Nelson MOTM by a mile.
"You, who have destroyed so much - can you name even one thing you have created? I thought not. There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue Physicist."

Brian Scrimegour
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Brian Scrimegour » Monday 12th 2018f March 2018 09:35:53 AM

Muirhead always gives a hundred percent but is he really the standard of defender we need to get out of this league. To me he should be a backup next season and nothing more if we're finally going to make a good go of reaching the promised land.