Falkirk v Morton

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Falkirk v Morton

Post by Duncan Freemason » Sunday 04th 2018f March 2018 10:46:24 PM

Seems like a long way off, but just need to exorcise the hell of Ibrox (place and performance).
This is bread and butter stuff against a side that should be expecting to come to the TFS and collect a routine 3 points on their way to the top four.
They did it easily the last time when we were at our absolute worst, and while the undoubtedly better players that Hartley has brought in have made a difference (including beating Morton at their gaff), it remains to be seen if that early promise is something that endures, or if the new guys are slowly but surely being dragged down by the dross that surrounds them.
The draw against Dumbarton and the welcome (though not convincing) win up at Brechin means confidence is once again, on a wee bit of a slide.
A win, and it’s adios Dumbarton. A loss, and a positive result for them against QotS, and the alarm bells will start ringing all over again.
Still too many natural born losers in our squad, and Hartley is going to have to manage the hell out of them over the next half dozen games.
I suppose a draw wouldn’t be a catastrophe, but another pasting would certainly feel like one.
Our central defence still terrifies me, and I doubt they are capable of keeping Morton out for 90 minutes this time. I reckon both sides will score. I just hope we score one more than them.

chippo1876
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Re: Falkirk v Morton

Post by chippo1876 » Tuesday 06th 2018f March 2018 08:12:51 PM

who the hell do we play at centre half, surely captain calamity can't continue to be the rock we rely on to steady the ship, he breeds absolutely no confidence and i for one hope he is one of the first shown the door in the summer along with a few others who should be now looking to put themselves in the shop window for any potential suitors :shock:

my 1st and probably last attempt to try and pick a competitive team............

thomson
tumilty mcghee grant robson
taiwo mckee
longridge sibbald
jakubiak nelson

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Wednesday 07th 2018f March 2018 12:18:16 PM

I don't mind Muirhead with the exception of his hit headiness however I do like that side you've picked chippo.

think Hartley will persist with 5 at the back though
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

Creative Redemption
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Creative Redemption » Wednesday 07th 2018f March 2018 02:51:17 PM

Must win game. MUST win, to give us any confidence going in to the last 12 games or so of the season.
Time for Longridge to put in one of his special performances that we get once every 5 or 6 games. I like the lad, but he does not influence games as much as he could and should. Thats why He is playing with us I suppose, but its frustrating when you see how good he can be.
Not just him, but Sibbs, Robson, Nelson, Yak Tumilty, we need them all stepping up and showing Morton that we can play a bit.
The centre of defence is a lost cause as far as I am concerned and the lot of them should be shipped out at the end of the season.
I agree with others its just going to have to be a case of us scoring one more than them.
Here comes the doom.

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Wednesday 07th 2018f March 2018 03:59:39 PM

Actually, you may well have hit on a very important point there.

Perhaps it’s not worth wasting any more time coaching/changing/manipulating a defence that really aren’t ever going to be a decent outfit, and just go with an attacking set up that can perhaps keep the ball away from Muirhead and Co for as much of the game as possible.

Now I know sticking on every attack minded player we have just won’t work, but it might just be worth having a big bias to attack knowing that the defence will probably ship goals regardless. Really go for the opposition’s throat and see if just maybe, we can get a tribute performance of the Dundee United game.

I would happily accept a 5-3 win..................

chippo1876
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by chippo1876 » Wednesday 07th 2018f March 2018 05:09:57 PM

for me Sunday was the final straw for me regarding muirheads future at the club in that one instance he gave the referee a major desicion to make when he made contact with bates if that had have been the other way round we would have been screaming for a red card and i think we were very fortunate that Thomson only gave him a yellow, for our so called captain to behave in that manner shows a complete lack of respect to his team mates and little or no thought to the repercussions of his actions, i just can't fathom out his actions he's the new kevin christie/johnny flynn in one package :shock:

Creative Redemption
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Creative Redemption » Wednesday 07th 2018f March 2018 05:18:27 PM

chippo1876 wrote:
Wednesday 07th 2018f March 2018 05:09:57 PM
for me Sunday was the final straw for me regarding muirheads future at the club in that one instance he gave the referee a major desicion to make when he made contact with bates if that had have been the other way round we would have been screaming for a red card and i think we were very fortunate that Thomson only gave him a yellow, for our so called captain to behave in that manner shows a complete lack of respect to his team mates and little or no thought to the repercussions of his actions, i just can't fathom out his actions he's the new kevin christie/johnny flynn in one package :shock:
5 years ago, the likes of Muirhead etc would not even have gotten a place on our bench, never mind being a first team regular.
However, we are where we are andif we manage to ever get back the "hallowed" land of the SPL, we will look back at some of the dross who are currently playing with us and wonder what on earth were we doing.
Falkirk have never been world beaters, and I like many of us know our place in the football world, but the last few years has seen the standard of player drop year on year, and we are now worse off than when I started watching them in the mid 80s.
Its heart breaking to watch and our hopeless BoD are happy to wach us slip in to obscurity.
Here comes the doom.

chippo1876
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by chippo1876 » Wednesday 07th 2018f March 2018 07:12:45 PM

can't disagree with any of your comments CR we've been blessed with some brilliant entertaining teams over the years and i for one have been through the good and bad times also, and as you say the BOD have been pivitol in the decline of our team but unfortunately until someone decides they would love to pump millions into a black hole that is scottish football we are where we are sadly. just glad i watched the team in the days of Jeffries,McCall and yes Hughes oh how i long for a return to an attacking team with no fears of the opponent. :(

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Wednesday 07th 2018f March 2018 09:57:13 PM

The bit that’s never understood by me is how we are where are and are being bettered by Livingston (crowds often in the 700-800 mark), Morton (1200), QotS(1300). It’s only occasionally that we seem to be better than them all collectively.
Since relegation, it’s just amazing how different clubs we have finished behind in this league. It’ll be an even bigger list at the end of this season. Some of course, have finished above us multiple times, and one or two are pretty obvious. Rangers, Hearts, Hibs, Dundee United, Livingston, Hamilton, QotS, Dundee, Dunfermline, Hamilton, ICT(?), Ross County, St Mirren, Morton. There’s probably more.

Brian Scrimegour
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Brian Scrimegour » Thursday 08th 2018f March 2018 11:54:59 AM

Duncan Freemason wrote:
Wednesday 07th 2018f March 2018 09:57:13 PM
The bit that’s never understood by me is how we are where are and are being bettered by Livingston (crowds often in the 700-800 mark), Morton (1200), QotS(1300). It’s only occasionally that we seem to be better than them all collectively.
Since relegation, it’s just amazing how different clubs we have finished behind in this league. It’ll be an even bigger list at the end of this season. Some of course, have finished above us multiple times, and one or two are pretty obvious. Rangers, Hearts, Hibs, Dundee United, Livingston, Hamilton, QotS, Dundee, Dunfermline, Hamilton, ICT(?), Ross County, St Mirren, Morton. There’s probably more.
Its quite easy. Our club is run by a bod full of complete idiots. If we had a bod like St Johnstone for instance we would be a mainstay in the Premiership just like they are on half our crowds.

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Thursday 08th 2018f March 2018 12:59:58 PM

I'm guessing we've had a lot more overheads than others not that that's an excuse.

're the game Morton unbeaten in last 8 away games winning 4 and drawing 4 so very tough game here. hope they don't do the shooting the wrong way thing first half yet again.

if we beat them might keep very very slim hope of playoffs alive even if it's just mathematically. if they beat us then it's all over this season up the way at least...

hope we go all out attack last quarter and entertain tbe fans what's the point of not doing so now?
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

Habib Utak Al Hansi
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Habib Utak Al Hansi » Thursday 08th 2018f March 2018 01:45:21 PM

Bridge of Allan Bairn wrote:
Thursday 08th 2018f March 2018 12:59:58 PM
I'm guessing we've had a lot more overheads than others not that that's an excuse.
You are correct, and these overheads shall continue to be a millstone round our neck. Sensible, competent stewardship can take a club a long way in Scottish football. Size of crowds means far less. That is why we are sitting in eigth place in the second tier.

On the Morton game, I'd look to freshen things up, but options are extremely limited. Longridge is wasted in a more withdrawn role. Push him up closer to Jakubiak in favour of Nelson and perhaps give Ryan Blair a start in midfield. I don't see the point in signing a player on loan from Swansea then never using him. No doubt it would be Kidd, who I've nothing against, but he is just the identikit Falkirk midfielder, tidy enough but that's about it, and no threat whatsoever in the opposition box. The only defensive change we could make would be to bring in Watson, so don't bother, enough said. Harkins may be bald, overweight and slow but the guy is a player at this level. Wouldnt surprise me if he pissed all over our midfield like he did the last time they came here.
PEP SHITTY SHOES - GTF

Brian Scrimegour
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Brian Scrimegour » Thursday 08th 2018f March 2018 02:07:57 PM

I agree regarding Blair. Waste of a wage so far along with Welsh. We cant afford to waste budget on two players that have done nothing to improve us as a team since getting signed in January. I'd much rather have put their two wages together and signed one quality midfielder . Can't see Swansea loaning us anymore players if we never play them.

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Thursday 08th 2018f March 2018 06:54:03 PM

Habib Utak Al Hansi wrote:
Thursday 08th 2018f March 2018 01:45:21 PM
You are correct, and these overheads shall continue to be a millstone round our neck. Sensible, competent stewardship can take a club a long way in Scottish football. Size of crowds means far less. That is why we are sitting in eigth place in the second tier.

On the Morton game, I'd look to freshen things up, but options are extremely limited. Longridge is wasted in a more withdrawn role. Push him up closer to Jakubiak in favour of Nelson and perhaps give Ryan Blair a start in midfield. I don't see the point in signing a player on loan from Swansea then never using him. No doubt it would be Kidd, who I've nothing against, but he is just the identikit Falkirk midfielder, tidy enough but that's about it, and no threat whatsoever in the opposition box. The only defensive change we could make would be to bring in Watson, so don't bother, enough said. Harkins may be bald, overweight and slow but the guy is a player at this level. Wouldnt surprise me if he pissed all over our midfield like he did the last time they came here.
Thing is, sensible competent stewardship and Livingston. doesn’t really work either. Over the last decade, if you area small club and want to do reasonably well, then administration is near enough the only golden ticket in town.

Brian Scrimegour
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Brian Scrimegour » Friday 09th 2018f March 2018 10:04:06 AM

Duncan Freemason wrote:
Thursday 08th 2018f March 2018 06:54:03 PM
Habib Utak Al Hansi wrote:
Thursday 08th 2018f March 2018 01:45:21 PM

Thing is, sensible competent stewardship and Livingston. doesn’t really work either. Over the last decade, if you area small club and want to do reasonably well, then administration is near enough the only golden ticket in town.
The other option is of course constantly spending cash you don't have. Only time will tell whether Livie have learned their lesson at last but even if they are overspending I doubt they'll be anywhere near our budget and yet their second top. A decent manager that knows what hes doing always helps and Hopkin is certainly that. Lee Miller has been brilliant since he moved there and you've got to wonder why we're looking at Sunderland for a striker that couldnt hit a coo on the arse with a banjo when Rangers had one up for grabs whose now banging them in for livie.

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Friday 09th 2018f March 2018 10:53:38 AM

Livingston learn no lessons. Absolutely no way they are running a full time squad of that size on gates of three figures and breaking even.
Their monthly wage bill will be around 40k minimum then they have all other costs on top of that. Their ST sales and PATG will probably be around 20k a month.....often less.

For us, all we can hope is that there’s short term pain for longer term gain......but I think we have all earned the right to be a bit suspicious of that.
This game is going to tell us a fair bit regarding progress so far. A win, and the spring flowers will be starting to bloom. Another TFS defeat, and it’ll feel like the darkest of Houston’s clouds are still hanging around the place.
Such a weird season. I still look forward to games, yet I also look forward to this season being consigned to the history books.

ellonbairn
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by ellonbairn » Friday 09th 2018f March 2018 02:34:35 PM

Is Hazard available for this one? If so, I would have him in as Thomson had a nightmare last time we played them at TFS. I wasn't at the away match in January when Thomson had a clean sheet, but I do remember him being utter crap in November and missed several cross balls.

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Friday 09th 2018f March 2018 02:42:39 PM

Would imagine Hazard is a shoo in for the Morton game. Thomson has skills, no doubt, but if he plays, then Morton will bombard the guy with crosses and big lumps into the box.

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Friday 09th 2018f March 2018 05:02:46 PM

I think the comment about Muirhead not getting in our team 5 years ago is looking back with rose tinted glasses. Although it’s time for Muirhead to be shifted on he’s far from the worst player I’ve seen play for us. Davie Sinclair, Kevin Christie, Steven Rennie, Jason Marr, Johnny Flynn, Brian McLean, Ross Perry, Greig Denham and even Tam Scobie was a pretty limited defender as was Mark Campbell who marshalled our defence the last time we got promotion. If you were talking about when we were in the SPL then it goes without saying that the quality is worse but so are our finances.

Anyway I don’t think we’re that far off as a club from where we used to be. It’s just been a combination of players legs going, guys out of form and poor recruitment. Add to that with what seems to be rumours of a bad dressing room atmosphere at the start of the season. Bear in mind too that a similar strength squad had us getting our 2nd highest points total in this league whilst competing with Rangers and Hibs.

As for the football I don’t think there is any doubt that has got worse but in my opinion that’s nothing that’s unique to us. I find a lot of football pretty turgid these days. There’s too much concentration on shape and ball retention with fewer players who seem capable of taking a decent touch, shot or cross and very few that can beat a man. That with an insistence to play 5 players in midfield therefore resulting in 10 players all playing within a 15 yard radius makes for dull viewing.

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Friday 09th 2018f March 2018 06:39:59 PM

The Largs impact. The damage inflicted on the game is enormous.

Anyway, while I agree that Muirhead is actually among the worst, but probably isn’t leader of the pack, Kevin Christie was absolutely frightening until Den Biemen arrived, and thereafter was rather good. He needed a bit of supervision to control his excessive moments of daftness, and Stik was the answer to our prayers at that time.
There’s no way Muirhead would accept or respond to that kind of leadership alongside him.
For me, if Muirhead is still at the heart of an overhauled Falkirk next season, then I will be disappointed. Of course, we can only go with what PH thinks, and if he gets it right, then hush my mouth.
I think if we go into this game intending to indulge in a bit of strategic cat and mouse, we will deservedly sink to another defeat.
Nelson to get his name on the scoresheet in a 2-2 draw. Are we due a sending off? Muirhead to make up for last week’s lucky escape?