falkirk v Dumbarton 24th Feb 2018

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Re: falkirk v Dumbarton 24th Feb 2018

Post by Duncan Freemason » Tuesday 27th 2018f February 2018 03:06:02 PM

Reckon young Mark Munro has the makings of a quality player too.

Ranaldo Bairn
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Ranaldo Bairn » Tuesday 27th 2018f February 2018 03:32:11 PM

Brian Scrimegour wrote:
Tuesday 27th 2018f February 2018 12:44:50 PM
At least if Sibbald leaves we'll get money for him which you'd hope will be invested back in the squad.
I thought the window for getting any cash expired after last summer?

Edit: because of his age now.
"You, who have destroyed so much - can you name even one thing you have created? I thought not. There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue Physicist."

hobbes
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by hobbes » Tuesday 27th 2018f February 2018 03:43:03 PM

ellonbairn wrote:
Tuesday 27th 2018f February 2018 02:22:48 PM
Ricey wrote:
Tuesday 27th 2018f February 2018 11:28:13 AM
You’ve got to add to that list the loan players and Welsh. Wages will also be freed up as we won’t have the 20s. On the keepers we currently have Hazard, Mitchell, Thomson, Mutch and Young which is utterly ludicrous for a club of our size. Expect Mitchell to be given a chance and the rest to be released in the summer (Hazard returning to Celtic). For me the list of players I wouldn’t want to leave gets smaller and smaller.

Sibbald
Taiwo
Jonny Mitchell
Yak
Robson

Hartley needs to get recruitment right in the summer and if we are to be promoted we need better than the likes of tumilty
Are the Yak and Robson not loan players as well? - so add Sibbald as leaving and we are left with Taiwo and Jonny Mitchell!
Jakubiak signed on loan, Robson signed for 6 months IIRC
Is your child hyperactive; or is he perhaps a twat?

ellonbairn
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by ellonbairn » Tuesday 27th 2018f February 2018 03:45:37 PM

cheers

Habib Utak Al Hansi
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Habib Utak Al Hansi » Tuesday 27th 2018f February 2018 04:45:11 PM

Ranaldo Bairn wrote:
Tuesday 27th 2018f February 2018 03:32:11 PM
Brian Scrimegour wrote:
At least if Sibbald leaves we'll get money for him which you'd hope will be invested back in the squad.

If I remember, the outcome of last summer's farce was that he signed for a year with an additional year's option. Presumably the club will take up that option.Therefore he will be under contract and so any move will require a club to pay a fee. I actually would not be surprised to see a repeat of last summer where he is looking to get away but clubs will be reluctant to pay the cash, the only difference being that he is still contracted to us.
PEP SHITTY SHOES - GTF

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Tuesday 27th 2018f February 2018 06:08:12 PM

Habib Utak Al Hansi wrote:
Tuesday 27th 2018f February 2018 04:45:11 PM
Ranaldo Bairn wrote:
Tuesday 27th 2018f February 2018 03:32:11 PM
Brian Scrimegour wrote:

If I remember, the outcome of last summer's farce was that he signed for a year with an additional year's option. Presumably the club will take up that option.Therefore he will be under contract and so any move will require a club to pay a fee. I actually would not be surprised to see a repeat of last summer where he is looking to get away but clubs will be reluctant to pay the cash, the only difference being that he is still contracted to us.
Not denying this isn't true but if so I would seriously question the advice he's been given to sign such a deal especially given what went on last season. If Sibbald gets a lengthy injury then the club can just rub their hands clean of him and he'll be without a wage for however long he's out(presuming no club would want to buy an injured player). If he has a terrible season then it's unlikely that there will be many clubs looking to give him much of an improved deal. On the other hand if he has a great season then he ends up back where he was last season with the club acting as a potential stumbling block for any move.

The only thing I can see for Sibbald is a lose/lose scenario with such a deal so amazed that he'd sign such a contract unless there are details which I'm missing out on such as the year's option being on a much higher salary.

John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by John Markie » Tuesday 27th 2018f February 2018 10:08:26 PM

If any one of the four shots that hit the post/bar in the 1st half had gone in, I reckon we would have strolled this. None did, and as the 2nd half wore on it looked ever more likely that Dumbarton would nick all 3 points, and almost did right at the end. A day we never really got going and too many players simply went through the motions, or simply made wrong decision after wrong decision. Fair play to Hartley for going with a back 4 for this, and had those shots gone in instead of hitting woodwork, we'd be saying he got everything right. Its unfortunate that the players by and large let him down. Too many passengers and no-one really taking any responsibility for speeding up the play or even shooting at all in the second half. Next couple of weeks will see us getting back on the losing streak with away game at Ibrox and St Mirren coming up, although we may nick a point off Morton. Can't wait for this season to be over and we get rid of the majority of this squad. Only bright lights are the form of Sibbs and the aggression of Nelson and jakubiak up front.

Ratings

Hazard 6/10. Seems to have picked up the slow/no quick release of the ball once he gets it from the rest of the keepers. Not hugely impressed by him, but probably better than we have.

Tumilty 5/10. I don't think this guy is good enough. Pretty poor going forward and defensively not brilliant.
Muirhead 7/10. Steady and managed a couple of pretty decent passes. Unlucky with his shot. Better than he's been for months, but that wouldn't be difficult.
McGhee 3/10. Pretty poor defensively, and he did that aimless run forward then pass to no-one again. At least he looked like he was trying, but he was pretty sh1t.
Robson 6/10. In and out the game, but generally good going forward and sound enough defensively. Just never reached the heights I now expect from him.

Longridge 3/10. Saw plenty of the ball and did absolutely nothing positive with it throughout. Every option he choose was the wrong one. Very poor indeed.
Taiwo 7/10. Great defensively but once again has nothing in his locker when we are going forward. Tries hard though - but really is he the best we have there? Probably.......
Sibbald 8/10. My MotM. Did what he could but again like too many held on to the ball too much and most of his work was nullified by relatively poor decision making. That he was our best player doesn't say much.
McKee 5/10. Only just pass marks, but he is now the new Mark Kerr. Great at backwards passing and sh1t at free kicks.

Nelson 6/10. never saw enough of the ball to make a difference, but worked hard throughout. So unlucky with that crossbar shot....
Jakubiak 6/10. Like Nelson didn't have enough of the ball and did what he could when he did, but the quality of passes to him wasn't good enough.

Subs
Loy 4/10. Did not too bad when he came on, but sadly he is past it now.

We need new blood and we need it in EVERY area of the team.

Next season the only players I'd be happy to still have are Sibbald, Nelson, Jakubiak, Robson and the kids Jonny Mitchell and Reis Peggie. I know there are a couple of loanees there, but really the rest of the signed players are pretty sh1t. Longridge and Taiwo are marginal whether we should keep or punt/release. What a state of affairs.
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Tuesday 27th 2018f February 2018 11:53:24 PM

Pretty decent summary. After the 6-1 game, I didn’t think we’d turned a corner, I thought we’d joined the space race.
Now many weeks later, great result as it was, it’s pretty clear it was DU at the start of an implosion from which they haven’t really recovered. You could argue that they were near enough the best in the league, and our performance broke them, or that things were unravelling for them off the park, and the 6-1 was just the first footballing sign that they were in a bit of a tail spin.
The game up at ICT quickly woke us up to the fact that we still had issues of our own.
Lots of opinions on who should stay, and who should go, and doubtless it’ll all pan out differently from what we all think/want.
Back in Totten’s last season, it was a big “thank God for Airdrie”. This season, it’s a big “thank God for Brechin and (hopefully) Dumbarton”.
Deadwood clear outs are usually cathartic affairs, but only when the opportunity they represent is fully grasped (and that’s usually not without cost).
We are certainly in that place now. Let’s hope it’s not a half hearted affair.

Habib Utak Al Hansi
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Habib Utak Al Hansi » Wednesday 28th 2018f February 2018 12:27:35 AM

Duncan Freemason wrote:
Tuesday 27th 2018f February 2018 11:53:24 PM
Pretty decent summary. After the 6-1 game, I didn’t think we’d turned a corner, I thought we’d joined the space race.
Now many weeks later, great result as it was, it’s pretty clear it was DU at the start of an implosion from which they haven’t really recovered. You could argue that they were near enough the best in the league, and our performance broke them, or that things were unravelling for them off the park, and the 6-1 was just the first footballing sign that they were in a bit of a tail spin.
The game up at ICT quickly woke us up to the fact that we still had issues of our own.
Lots of opinions on who should stay, and who should go, and doubtless it’ll all pan out differently from what we all think/want.
Back in Totten’s last season, it was a big “thank God for Airdrie”. This season, it’s a big “thank God for Brechin and (hopefully) Dumbarton”.
Deadwood clear outs are usually cathartic affairs, but only when the opportunity they represent is fully grasped (and that’s usually not without cost).
We are certainly in that place now. Let’s hope it’s not a half hearted affair.
One of the biggest problems over the past few years has been that Houston was only too happy to tie up his budget by handing out contracts to players who were known or on the premises so to speak. The path of least resistance. I'd like to think there is less chance of that happening under Hartley. Every single player should be judged on two criteria in terms of being retained for next season:
    Are they capable of playing an integral part in a team trying to win promotion?
      Are they the best we can get in that position for the budget we have available?

I think very, very few of the current squad would meet this criteria, therefore it should be a case of Thanks and Good Luck. We have been, and continue, to carry far too many players picking up a decent wage for little, if anything, in return.
      PEP SHITTY SHOES - GTF

Bridge of Allan Bairn
      First Team regular
      First Team regular

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Wednesday 28th 2018f February 2018 12:30:37 PM

good thread with decent debate from all.

agree with most of above 're players.

I think our midfield really needs strengthening.

id keep

goalkeepers -

in - Mitchell

not sure - hazard

out - thomson

defence -

in - Muirhead Robson mghee

not sure - Grant Watson tumilty

out - kidd

midfield

in - sibbald taiwo

not sure - McKee

out - Harris , Welsh, Blair

strikers

in - Nelson jakubiak

not sure - longridge (most difficult one this as on his day unplayable but often not on his day)

out - loy ohara shepherd

that's 8 out, 5 maybe, and 8 in. loans aside
      "We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003