Dev squad v Ross Co

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Dev squad v Ross Co

Post by John Markie » Friday 16th 2018f February 2018 08:57:09 PM

An awful day for football was well matched by the awful football on display. Even given the freezing gusting wind and rain, this was as abject a display as I have seen from the young guys all season. You would think by this stage that some semblance of teamwork, formation, positional play, basic footballing skill (trapping a ball, heading, etc) would be almost second nature to the boys, but sadly there was pretty much none of that on show on Thursday. From the very start it was a litany of misplaced passes, lack of ball control and any kind of cohesive play. A prime example was a cross field pass to our full back which he set himself up for a cushioned header inside to a team mate, then he could get forward, or whatever.........resulted in him simply shutting his eyes, and missing the ball completely. Now this was as straight forward a header as its possible to get. if the kid had stood still, lowered his head a couple of inches he'd have made it - but no somehow he managed to duck under the ball. Now, at that age, even I could head a ball that I didn't even have to jump for - and that was without practising every day of the week. Thats just the tip of the iceberg really, as the number of times we mis-controlled even the simplest of passes was astounding. There would be some argument that the conditions were poor, yet this lack of basic skill did not seem to affect the Ross Co players at all. There is also a very basic naivety amongst our boys, which may be down to the coaches ethos, or just an awareness that they will lose more games than they will win, and its not about winning, etc. For me, we settle for mediocrity far too easily these days and none of these kids would last two minutes in a junior game, as they lack the most basic desire to compete, never mind win. They are bullied at every turn by their opponents, lack strength and commitment and seem to play the game at snail pace whenever they can. We were awful and were indeed fortunate to get a point as until the penalty we had only fleetingly really looked like scoring. These incidents came in the first half when we were already a goal down thanks to awful defending (particularly by the usually so reliable Jonny Mitchell) simply allowing a forward to run past the central defender who never made a challenge, allowing the forward the easiest of goals against the really poor Mutch in goals. Our golden chance came from an O'Hara header from 6 yards which he sent miles wide when it looked easier to score. This followed another golden opportunity for O'Hara who nipped in and cut out a back pass to the keeper, then beat two back-pedalling defenders, only to lose his balance and scuff a shot towards goal.........only for it to be cleared off the line by one of the defenders who O'Hara had previously beat. Makes it sound exciting. It wasn't.

Instead of taking part in any reserve league, or development (u-18 etc) league next year, get these kids punted out to Camelon Juniors, Linlithgow Rose etc, because this puerile timid sh1t thats being served up here is likely doing them more harm than good. It is very worrying that none of these kids seem able to control either their passing to a team mate, or even master the art of controlling a pass to them with one touch. Out of that lot that played maybe 3 look like they might just about make it in the game given some time, decent tough exposure to the Junior leagues and a helluva lot of work. Only three got pass marks and just barely. Peggie, playing at left back was excellent and gave a true captains performance. O'Hara never stopped running and chasing, but his control is shocking, and at a push Jonny Mitchell in defence if he can gain at least a yard of pace and some muscles. Other than that it was dire. Probably our toughest tackling midfielder and most aggressive player was Alex Harris, and we all know what a wallflower he is. Really poor and of that lot I would suggest most will go at end of season. Oh, a special mention to Mutch who doesn't just have nightmares for the 1st team - he was terrible, and Finlayson who was once again as woeful as its possible to be.
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Re: Dev squad v Ross Co

Post by Duncan Freemason » Friday 16th 2018f February 2018 10:16:04 PM

Other than that though, it’s looking quite promising......

havenbairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by havenbairn » Friday 16th 2018f February 2018 10:42:11 PM

We should forget all about Development Squads and Reserve Teams next season.

Lets focus on getting back to the Premier League with a first team squad of 18 quality players and maybe 3/4 promising youngsters.

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Saturday 17th 2018f February 2018 01:40:48 AM

Well I think that’s pretty much the direction we are headed. There is still some potential for money to be made from other (bigger) club’s rejects. The guy Morgan at St Mirren is this season’s perfect example I guess, but as there is no definitive formula as to how you make it work in your favour, it’s going to be down to little more than guesswork.
There’s so many variables from late physical development, to a manager tapping into latent talent, to a young guy deciding to grow up, to another deciding not to give up, and simply working hard every day to make it.
All of these permutations need a club and management taking a chance on them, and being patient enough to back these guys for a decent period of time. It certainly isn’t a model for projecting cash flow.

Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Ricey » Saturday 17th 2018f February 2018 10:12:01 AM

We need to remember morale will be very low in the u20 squad as they all know they will be released at the end of the season. Not sure the point in anyone attending the games given the club is simply seeing out the season due to the commitment given to the league.

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Tuesday 20th 2018f February 2018 05:43:46 PM

Why would morale be low knowing they were all to be freed? Surely they would be trying like hell to impress us and other clubs. Its common in football for players to try like hell until they get a new deal, then they sometimes relax and don't play with the same drive and intent.

Unless the players know they have no chance of remaining in full time football, in which case the club was correct in bagging them.
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Re: Dev squad v Ross County

Post by Ricey » Wednesday 21st 2018f February 2018 11:26:05 PM

I would fully expect the majority of the u20 side to remain in full time football aside from those who are older and we were likely to be releasing anyhow. In fact I would put money on it. Many will already know where they are going I am pretty sure.