Away to Brechin

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Away to Brechin

Post by Duncan Freemason » Wednesday 14th 2018f February 2018 07:01:01 PM

Our latest banana skin in a season awash with the damned things.

We narrowly avoided screwing up on our last visit to Le Hedge Grande, and we might just about represent their second last realistic chance of winning a game this season.
We’ve gotten ourselves a wee bit of momentum, but the “winning two consecutive league games” is still an elusive beastie.
This and Dumbarton gives us a very realistic chance of winning three on the trot, and pulling ourselves a decent distance away from trouble.
We have the front line ammo, we have the midfield skill (well, almost), but as ever, we have a defence that’s far and away, the second worst in the division....only Brechin have a poorer record.
Don’t think we have a clean sheet left in us, so hopefully it’ll end up 1-3 or 2-4.

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Re: Away to Brechin

Post by Olaf Thom » Thursday 15th 2018f February 2018 01:54:46 PM

I think Brechin will get something from us, we've had a good fortune and Brechin will get a break at some point. we're always the patron saint of helping other teams and players.
Striker not scored in 10 - Breaks his duck against us, team not won in 30 - Good old Falkirk will help you out.

Would typical of us to lose the next two league games and then beat Rangers
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

ellonbairn
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by ellonbairn » Friday 16th 2018f February 2018 03:08:19 PM

I think we will win this one by a couple of goals but agree about the defence

Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Ricey » Saturday 17th 2018f February 2018 06:10:07 PM

Wasn’t at the game but bloody relieved to hear we got that late winner. Looks like we needed the sending off to help us but it’s the 3 points that matter. Looking forward to hearing from those who attended

Sir Jones
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Sir Jones » Saturday 17th 2018f February 2018 06:52:17 PM

We were incredibly poor today. The surface didn't help at all and was a factor but the lack of imagination and creativity from anyone was concerning.

Brechin played a pretty solid game and just about did the best they could. Probably came closest to scoring putting our goal aside with a free header from a corner that shouldve found the net.

Hartley deserves some credit for trying some things out but I really can't see a future for any of our centre halves beyond this season with the tactics he clearly wants to employ. Will be another interesting transfer window in the Summer.

Can't really think of any of our lot who I thought looked good - Taiwo probably the standout - but great to get that last minute goal. You get what you deserve in football but that will be a sore one for Brechin who put everything in to holding on to that point - especially with 10 men.
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Saturday 17th 2018f February 2018 09:15:34 PM

Oh well, I stirred a wee hornets nest by describing us as a bombscare of a team, and to be fair, that wasn’t right. The bombscare element remains where it has been for the entire season, and that’s at the heart of our defence which gives away chances regardless of the opposition.
We had easily the lion’s share of possession but probably had no more clear cut chances in first half. They probably should have been ahead early on after some really shoddy defending at a corner, but equally, Loy apparently missed a gift of a chance that I didn’t see.
Second half was near enough a one way procession, lots of possession, lots of off target shots, and with us having a man advantage, Brechin’s attacking intentions completely evaporated. Understandable.
A good few were already on the way out when the Yak did the needful at the death.
It sets us up nicely for the third leg of our nine pointer against Dumbarton next week. Win that, and I reckon we have as good as saved the season from being a catastrophe. It’ll certainly have QotS, Morton, the Fifers and ICT feeling a bit nervous although most will have a game or two in hand.

John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by John Markie » Saturday 17th 2018f February 2018 09:40:42 PM

Utterly dire. We somehow managed to scrape the three points from possibly our worst performance under Hartley. Yes, it was like playing on a coo park, yes it was playing against mass ranks of defenders on a narrow pitch, but we were honking in the main. I had actually started making my way around the ground from behind the Brechin goals when we got the goal, that I personally thought we'd never get such was our play up to that point. Well done to Jakubiak for finding the net and putting in so much running, although he was ploughing a lone furrow for most of the 90+ minutes, with virtually no support from Loy or Longridge who both had pretty poor games. In fact everyone pretty much had a honking game, but Jakubiak and Taiwo were probably best for us, with the usual suspects and many more putting in well below even their dreadful average performances. For large parts we were outfought and sadly we seem unable to stick to our game plan and end up mirroring the opposition all too often, going front to back way too frequently. Some of that could be down to the midfield who just could not get to grips with the game at all, with both Longridge and Sibbs having no room to manoeuvre and largely running out of options from a way too static Loy and the wide guys reluctant to get forward in support. I think we got our tactics wrong today - 5 defenders against 1 forward was overkill and we should have changed things around way before we did, especially as we were so awful in midfield. Even when they went down to 10 men we still struggled. Radical clear out needed in summer with only Robson worth keeping on todays performance from our defenders, and he was far from great. Longridge is decent enough in the main but has games like this where he doesn't do enough meaningful, and Loy is just past it. Oh to have Jakubiak as a Falkirk player, as he is someone a club like us could build around. Ah well a few more years in the doldrums appear more likely.

Ratings

Hazard 5/10. Hardly had much to do but his kicking is pretty rank.

Tumilty 4/10. Started reasonably well, then from about the 30 minute mark just faded out the game, hardly touching the ball until they went down to 10 men in second half. Pretty poor showing and never managed to get any decent balls into the front men.
Muirhead 2/10. Woeful. Error after error, misplaced pass after misplaced pass. Rudderless and not worthy of being on the park never mind being captain.
Watson 5/10. Defensively sound and did his bit, but mostly an onlooker as he rarely saw the ball.
McGhee 3/10. He's been getting worse, week on week, and this was very poor indeed. He obviously means well when he charges forward but he leaves a gap and almost always gives the ball away. Can't fault his drive, just his ability to do anything useful in the opposition half.
Robson 5/10. Not his best game by a long shot. But rarely troubled by his opponent and at least wanted to try and pass the ball and make runs, albeit so many proved fruitless.

Taiwo 6/10. MotM. Our only midfielder who looked like he knew what he was doing. Tackled well and passed reasonably well too. Tried to keep us on the front foot.
Longridge 5/10. Ran and ran and always looking for the ball. And yet seeing so much of the ball, he did diddly squat with it in the main. If anything looked like he was trying to do it all by himself, and failed miserably.
Sibbald 5/10. Just not his day on that midden of a pitch. So little going on around him he had virtually no out ball to play to bring the others into the game. He dallied on the ball and was often caught in possession.

Loy 4/10. Opened brightly then just faded away out the game. Had one decent shot and along with Yak gave them a few dodgy moments, but far to few to really cause them panic.
Jakubiak 6/10. Only player who looked like he really wanted to win this game, and was well deserved that he got the goal that made the difference. Wish he was ours.

Subs
O'Hara 5/10. Did alright when he came on, taking up good positions and running strongly at them.
McKee 5/10. tried to get the midfield going and at least kept the ball reasonably well without ever producing anything of note.

Against Brechin we really should not be starting with a back 5. We could have played with a back 2 and still have coped. Tactics all wrong.
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Tuesday 20th 2018f February 2018 05:46:59 PM

We are no good...but see what happens with at least some pace and power in the side. A few more signings like Alex Jac and we'll be alright.
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.