Cove v Falkirk

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
Creative Redemption
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Cove v Falkirk

Post by Creative Redemption » Thursday 08th 2018f February 2018 01:57:22 PM

The closer we get, the more nervous about this potential banana skin.
Not sure if it goes to replays or not, but if it does I would take a draw just now and hopefully turn them over at our dump.
The pitch is not great by all acounts, and if you look at how we "coped" at Livi a few weeks back on a similar pitch, it could be fraught with danger.
Didnt make Tuesday so not sure how Hazard is, but I would hope Thomson is left again on the bench for this one.
We are going to need a keeper who will come for crosses, and be prepared to get hurt on the way. Not sure if Hazard has that in him, but Thomson certainly does not. Im not making Thomson thescape goat, as he has two diddies in fromt of him who are as poor a centre half pairing as I have ever seen in my time of watching Falkirk. God knows whats happeded to Grant, but he doesnt even win headers any more. Muirhead is an athlete, but switches off, and for being a hardman (so I am told) he does not get stuck in enough for me.
Its so bad , you would take Kevin Christie at the back again. At least he got stuck in (before normally giving away a goal then getting sent off.......).

A team that has not lost in a year at home has confidence, so we need to have the right attitidue.
Maybe a bit controversial, but I would play Loy from the start along with Jak. Loy has a bit of guile and understanding of the game, whereas Nelson can still show a bit of naivity in front of gaol. Maybe bring him on for the last 20 or so if we are struggling to unlock the defence (or hanging on to a 1 nil advantage....)

Getting past this game would give the club a great boost, so its a HUGE game. Hope we just turn up and play like we can, and not how we have been.
Here comes the doom.

ellonbairn
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Re: Cove v Falkirk

Post by ellonbairn » Thursday 08th 2018f February 2018 02:32:05 PM

As I live in Ellon, when I can't get to a Falkirk match, I watch my local Highland League team, Formartine United, and have seen them play Cove 3 times this season. We beat them once and lost twice, once marginally after extra time and the other last week in the Scottish Cup when they were clearly the better side. They look more than good enough to win the play-off matches against the Lowland league winners and League 2 bottom club to gain League 2 status especially as I understand that their new ground will be ready for next season.

Falkirk should obviously beat them as I don't think any of their players would get a game with us but the forecast of wind and rain combined with a pitch, which the last time I saw it in November was basically similar to a trimmed farmer's field, could lead to problems. This must at least be partly due to having to groundshare. We may even have to resort to some of the punting tactics we used on Saturday, wrongly on that occasion, against Livi.

Just hope the game is on. Weather is okay today but snow forecast later and temperatures to drop tomorrow. Haven't checked any web sites but I guess there will be an initial pitch inspection tomorrow afternoon. Lets hope our fans leave the town of Inverurie, and the north east as a whole, with a good impression - we are aware of the ones who might not.

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Thursday 08th 2018f February 2018 02:33:25 PM

CR I think the point you make about loy and Nelson is a valid one. based on what I've seen this season you would pick Nelson over loy and even at home for this tie. however, for this tricky away tie I agree loy might be the better starting option due to experience.

an example was against livvi the other day when Nelson did well first he to beat the defender to the ball on the right side if the box he then ran into the one on one with goalie at an acute angle with defender right behind him. he shot tamely past the post and we got nothing. if he had slammed in the brakes the defender would have gone right into the back of him and a penalty given. I really like the lad but would possibly start with loy on this occasion. jakubiak is a stick on starter
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

NUMBER 7
First Team sub
First Team sub

Post by NUMBER 7 » Thursday 08th 2018f February 2018 10:05:33 PM

Looking forward to this, attitude must be spot on or we'll come a cropper. Would have been an idea to have a couple of training sessions this week on Victoria Park or the likes to prepare for a ploughed field when we get up there. Falkirk 3-1 win eventually

ellonbairn
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by ellonbairn » Friday 09th 2018f February 2018 09:59:21 AM

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/spo ... ign=buffer

Just read this. Watson, who is known for his gamesmanship, says the grass pitch is ok.
“Getting them up at Harlaw Park on the grass – the pitch is in relatively good condition for the time of year – that’ll give us a better chance.”

Now I saw the pitch in November and it was terrible so I don't know what miracles have happened since then given 2 teams are playing on it on alternate weekends. Will wait and see.

billybairn
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by billybairn » Friday 09th 2018f February 2018 01:23:45 PM

Pitch inspection planned for 2pm today according to FalkirkFC twitter feed.

billybairn
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by billybairn » Friday 09th 2018f February 2018 05:09:26 PM

UPDATE

There will be a further pitch inspection at 08:30 tomorrow morning to determine whether our Scottish Cup tie against Cove Rangers will go ahead.

90% of the pitch is currently playable with work ongoing throughout the rest of today on one area of concern.

ellonbairn
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by ellonbairn » Friday 09th 2018f February 2018 05:32:19 PM

Minus temperatures are predicted overnight but not severely so (-1 to -2). Surely given that the pitch was all but playable this afternoon, they can make an effort to protect the pitch overnight. Otherwise it won't have fully thawed by 8.30 am. Its the kind of pitch that, if the match is off, the postponements could multiply given the long range forecast isn't any better. I recall Motherwell having to wait for a long time to get a cup match played on the same pitch, albeit several years ago.

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Friday 09th 2018f February 2018 06:09:39 PM

Perhaps it has been overtaken, but are we not co-holders of the Guinness World Record for the most postponed Cup tie of all time? Sometime in the late 70s I think.

Ranaldo Bairn
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Ranaldo Bairn » Friday 09th 2018f February 2018 06:20:40 PM

Inverness Thistle, 1979. Postponed 27 times.

Still the record I think.
"You, who have destroyed so much - can you name even one thing you have created? I thought not. There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue Physicist."

ellonbairn
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by ellonbairn » Friday 09th 2018f February 2018 06:25:57 PM

yes remember it well - wouldn't be tolerated now

Falkirkbairn90
Reserve sub
Reserve sub

Post by Falkirkbairn90 » Saturday 10th 2018f February 2018 12:32:25 AM

ellonbairn wrote:
Friday 09th 2018f February 2018 06:25:57 PM
yes remember it well - wouldn't be tolerated now
Showing your age guys...

kent brockman
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by kent brockman » Saturday 10th 2018f February 2018 10:22:52 AM

GAME ON
Its not the taking part that counts......its the WINNING.

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Saturday 10th 2018f February 2018 05:01:01 PM

looks like we are fortunate to go in 1-1 at half time
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Saturday 10th 2018f February 2018 06:05:43 PM

Yes, we were indeed lucky to be level at half time, but having said that, Cove had thrown everything they had at us, and probably gambled on being ahead at half time then somehow hoping to hold out in the second half.
Our early goal kind of scuppered that plan, but they were pretty relentless in doing everything they could to get ahead.
Second half (with the slope in our favour) Cove struggled from the get go, and our two goals finished them off pretty quickly. We were far from pretty thereafter, and the defence just seemed happy to punt it back to front.
We never really went for the fourth goal to kill the game, but equally, Cove were really out on their feet from the hour mark.
Not pretty, not convincing, but we got the result we wanted.
Further proof that Muirhead and Watson are currently employed at a level higher than their ability justifies. I would be amazed if either feature after the summer.
Pitch was really bad.

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Saturday 10th 2018f February 2018 06:32:44 PM

solid win and good to see jakubiak net another couple already getting a lot of attn on radio Scotland.

great to be in the draw would be happy with anything other than Motherwell or killie away

Pete
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Pete » Saturday 10th 2018f February 2018 07:11:43 PM

We're through but that was utter rubbish. Good away day though COYB

Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Ricey » Saturday 10th 2018f February 2018 07:32:59 PM

Important we got the win but a little embarrassing to be the poorer side for long spells. Getting more and more concerned that Hartley might be a direct back to front long ball merchant. Certainly he is tolerating it for now but worried this might be his style which if it’s the case will soon reduce the great crowds we’ve surprisingly been getting

Pete
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Pete » Saturday 10th 2018f February 2018 07:37:24 PM

To be fair that pitch wasnt exactly conducive to any kind of passing football

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Saturday 10th 2018f February 2018 09:15:18 PM

Ricey wrote:
Saturday 10th 2018f February 2018 07:32:59 PM
Important we got the win but a little embarrassing to be the poorer side for long spells. Getting more and more concerned that Hartley might be a direct back to front long ball merchant. Certainly he is tolerating it for now but worried this might be his style which if it’s the case will soon reduce the great crowds we’ve surprisingly been getting
His Alloa side was anything but long ball merchants. They gave us a going over playing a very decent passing game.
Hartley likes a rigid structure with two creative and two destructive midfield players, and for the most part, a conventional back four with two dominant centre halves. I don’t remember him being a lover of wingers (even though he was one himself), but he did like a Keegan/Toshack combo up front, with a midfielder providing cross balls as and when possible.
He tried to recreate the same at Dundee, but ran out of time. Was accused of signing endless midfield players, but in truth, brought in players before he got rid of existing ones, so was seen to have 8 or 9 first team midfielders, and an imbalanced squad.
I am convinced he is tolerating a lot of stuff, and is trying his level best not to cause unrest until he can unload a few in the summer, and bring the style of play round to his way of thinking. Until then, his main aim is to keep us clear of 9th. That’s my spin on it, rightly or wrongly.