revised season expectations ??

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
chippo1876
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

revised season expectations ??

Post by chippo1876 » Wednesday 07th 2018f February 2018 04:38:48 PM

is it just me or should any position above 2nd bottom be our goal after the way this season has panned out, after each recent win i've seen comments like only such and such away from the play-off's when in reality we are in a one hell of a fight to stay in this league. yes we all agree we should be fighting at the top but we are where we are and as long as we stay above dumbarton and brechin i will be more than happy to get to the end of the season and then .......well who knows what the future holds !!

kent brockman
First Team regular
First Team regular

Re: revised season expectations ??

Post by kent brockman » Wednesday 07th 2018f February 2018 04:50:28 PM

chippo1876 wrote:
Wednesday 07th 2018f February 2018 04:38:48 PM
is it just me or should any position above 2nd bottom be our goal after the way this season has panned out, after each recent win i've seen comments like only such and such away from the play-off's when in reality we are in a one hell of a fight to stay in this league. yes we all agree we should be fighting at the top but we are where we are and as long as we stay above dumbarton and brechin i will be more than happy to get to the end of the season and then .......well who knows what the future holds !!
Survival is the name of the game.

We can only hope this is a transition season with better times ahead.
Its not the taking part that counts......its the WINNING.

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Wednesday 07th 2018f February 2018 05:30:14 PM

Agreed. If we can pick up 6 points from the Brechin and Dumbarton games (a big “if”), then we just might see a wee bit of a transformation in performances.
If the pressure of a bottom two finish evaporates, I reckon a lot of stress amongst the players will vanish too, and if nothing else, we might just turn out to be the cat amongst the top four pigeons. We probably don’t have too much of a chance of making the top four ourselves, but we might be able to have a huge influence on who does.
It’s would be great to shove the Fifers off the rails, or get a bit of revenge on the overspending franchise in West Lothian.
There could yet be some real fun to be had before the season is done.

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Wednesday 07th 2018f February 2018 08:09:33 PM

After last evening 3rd bottom if we're lucky! Dumbarton are the type of team that will grind out points and get the odd decent result. We on the other hand need to play well to get anything (except against Brechin)
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

Falkirkbairn90
Reserve sub
Reserve sub

Post by Falkirkbairn90 » Wednesday 07th 2018f February 2018 10:49:37 PM

Olaf Thom wrote:
Wednesday 07th 2018f February 2018 08:09:33 PM
After last evening 3rd bottom if we're lucky! Dumbarton are the type of team that will grind out points and get the odd decent result. We on the other hand need to play well to get anything (except against Brechin)
Bit dramatic here Olaf. We’ve won something like 5 in 8 and if we continue that kind of form albeit inconsistent we won’t be anywhere near Dumbarton who apparently grind out results and yet are 6 points below us. Something doesn’t add up with what you’re saying. At one point we were 9/10 points behind them, now we are 6 ahead so forgive me for thinking you’re talking utter mince.

Sir Jones
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Sir Jones » Thursday 08th 2018f February 2018 08:13:12 AM

Difficult to quantify success for the last third of the season in terms of league position but I'm looking for us to at least within 3 or 4 points of a promotion play off spot by the end of the season. That should be achievable.

No chance Dumbarton will win both their games in hand. Form would suggest 2 points max out of those. It's unfortunate we f*cked up the Livingston game - would have made all the difference in terms of positive outlook. We would have been on 29 points with 5 teams above us within 7 points. Thems the breaks. Get 6 from our next 2 and it will be looking rosy again.
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.

AL_bairn
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by AL_bairn » Thursday 08th 2018f February 2018 10:04:06 AM

If someone offered the position we are in just now 2 months ago I'm pretty sure we would have all taken it. There is obviously still a lot of work to do but we are improving. If we keep up the current form we will finish closer to the promotion play offs than the relegation play offs.

Just a shame Hartley couldn't pick up a few results when he first came in, we would be in a much better position just now and with a genuine chance of the play offs.

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Thursday 08th 2018f February 2018 10:05:13 AM

One of Dumbarton's games in hand is against Brechin at home so the gap is only 3 points in reality.

After watching the game on Tuesday and the disaster of Livingston - I can't see how anyone can say we'd pick up a lot of points.
We are still weak in the middle, dodgy at the back and not that great up front. I'm even more concerned after seeing Ryan Blair joining the ranks of tidy players who contribute sod all!

I'm beginning to question Hartley, we needed a midfield athlete/hard man and got an Uber Crock in Welsh - they guy is 28 and played a little over 100 games!!!! That's don't touch with a Barge pole stuff and we added Ryan Blair, looks tidy on the ball but McKee can do that and he hits a better set-piece.
We rely on Taiwo and to a lesser degree Sibbald to get stuck in. Taiwo only gets praise because the rest of the bunch are so anemic and if Sibbald is tackling, he isn't getting on the ball and doing what he does best.

I'm afraid with poor old McGhee handcuffed to 2 dumplings at the back and a weak midfield, we'll be looking over you shoulders for the rest of the season not looking up the table.
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

AL_bairn
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by AL_bairn » Thursday 08th 2018f February 2018 12:02:48 PM

Olaf Thom wrote:
Thursday 08th 2018f February 2018 10:05:13 AM
One of Dumbarton's games in hand is against Brechin at home so the gap is only 3 points in reality.

Yes their game in hand is against Brechin but we still have them to play twice as well. You should really have a think about things before you post. :lol:

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Thursday 08th 2018f February 2018 01:00:46 PM

What are you on about?

Dumbarton have two games in hand over us, 1 of which is Brechin. Its the games in hand which are important

If you want to discuss future fixtures and the end of season run-in then...... We also have St Mirren twice to play they don't, plus ICT, Livi, QotS, Dundee Utd and Dumbarton all away from home, so we better win our home games or we are intercoursed.

AL_bairn
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by AL_bairn » Thursday 08th 2018f February 2018 01:32:33 PM

Olaf Thom wrote:
Thursday 08th 2018f February 2018 01:00:46 PM
What are you on about?

Dumbarton have two games in hand over us, 1 of which is Brechin. Its the games in hand which are important

If you want to discuss future fixtures and the end of season run-in then...... We also have St Mirren twice to play they don't, plus ICT, Livi, QotS, Dundee Utd and Dumbarton all away from home, so we better win our home games or we are intercoursed.
OK one of Dumbarton's game in hand is against Brechin I get that but we still have the advantage of playing Brechin twice whereas Dumbarton only have them once. I'd say advantage us.

dixie chicken
International Sub
International Sub

Post by dixie chicken » Thursday 08th 2018f February 2018 01:39:52 PM

AL_bairn wrote:
Thursday 08th 2018f February 2018 01:32:33 PM
Olaf Thom wrote:
What are you on about?

OK one of Dumbarton's game in hand is against Brechin I get that but we still have the advantage of playing Brechin twice whereas Dumbarton only have them once. I'd say advantage us.
Olaf’s points make much more sense, sorry to say!!

AL_bairn
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by AL_bairn » Thursday 08th 2018f February 2018 01:44:20 PM

dixie chicken wrote:
Thursday 08th 2018f February 2018 01:39:52 PM
AL_bairn wrote:
Thursday 08th 2018f February 2018 01:32:33 PM
Olaf Thom wrote:
What are you on about?

Olaf’s points make much more sense, sorry to say!!
Ok Olaf if you say so! :clap:

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Thursday 08th 2018f February 2018 02:39:53 PM

I'm just looking for us to play good attacking football and beat as many of the play off hopefuls as possible.

we seem to take one step forward (dundee united) and one back though (livvi).

I'm enjoying watching jakubiak play as we haven't had someone like him for a while. always as ts to go forward as quick as possible beat his man and get a shot away. would pay to see players like him all day long. tries like a bear
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Thursday 08th 2018f February 2018 03:55:54 PM

There’s precious little for us to be scared of from this point onwards.

We know the back four will make one or two calamitous blunders in every single game, but it’s down to the opposition to exploit it......some will, some won’t.
Brechin’s goal showed us that some players are capable of ridiculous levels of ball watching...it’s happened time and time again. Purely down to I’ll discipline, and no-one really taking the back four by the scruff of the neck.
Midfield probably responsible for some of the back fours woes. Simply not enough dig in there, and Taiwo apart, too easy for the opposition to play through.
Front line is there or thereabouts with everyone else in the league. St Mirren have Morgan, and that’s been the big difference for them.

While we have been beaten (and well beaten) by every side above us, we are probably in a position where now (even with our flaws), that we could beat any of them in the right circumstances.

8th spot might well be as high as we get this season, but that’s a far better outcome than what seemed possible prior to the Dundee United game.
I reckon the very best we might manage is 6th, but that will take a spectacular turnaround for that to happen.

ekbairn
Under 18 sub
Under 18 sub

Post by ekbairn » Thursday 08th 2018f February 2018 04:44:42 PM

Just for info, Dumbarton still have to play Brechin twice, the same as us. Once in March, the other the postponed game. I would prefer to have the points on the board rather than the games in hand. Dumbarton might find themselves under a wee bit of pressure now as they are 6 points behind us rather than the 8 they were a few weeks ago.

Pete
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Pete » Monday 12th 2018f February 2018 08:47:39 PM

Survival and to compete in every game until the end of the season, would be happy with that. Signimg up sibbald and robson for next season would also be nice.

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Monday 12th 2018f February 2018 11:13:27 PM

Personally, got to accept 8th (provided its half a dozen points clear of 9th). 7th would be an unexpected bonus, and 6th would point to Hartley exceeding expectations by a country mile.

chippo1876
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by chippo1876 » Tuesday 13th 2018f February 2018 08:09:06 AM

our cup draw against the bigot brother will have given our board an unexpected safety net that had gone due to our league placing as they would have counted on a play off place at the very least at the start of the season.not sure what the club can expect from the gate revenue and possible tv coverage ? i would imagine there are a few on the board very relieved to have gotten that draw.in previous cup meetings i always had a glimmer of hope but not on this occasion i fear the worst, if we end up on a hiding like ayr did it could have a major effect on the already fragile confidence in the team, i hope i'm so wrong COYB !!

dixie chicken
International Sub
International Sub

Post by dixie chicken » Tuesday 13th 2018f February 2018 11:13:56 AM

I think this is a great draw for us.
Zero expectations and a good pay day.
I can think of nothing worse than an away day pumping from Kilmarnock or Motherwell with a 4K crowd and poor pay day.