Falkirk v Livi - League Duty

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
Sir Jones
International Manager
International Manager

Re: Falkirk v Livi - League Duty

Post by Sir Jones » Saturday 03rd 2018f February 2018 08:45:54 PM

We're not good enough to go on a run in this league but that doesn't excuse today. Very poor. If the players were following Hartley's instructions - and judging by his demeanor on the touchline I have to presume they were following instructions - then he really f*cked today up big time.

Though Loy was well off the pace, the quick on the deck football he and Jak produced late in the game was exactly the sort of stuff we needed in the 1st 70 minutes! We can't do anything about the size of our squad now so why the hell try to compete with Livingston in a physical battle?! I was surprised Jak didn't start to be honest - we needed someone bashing lumps out of their man mountain of a defence.

Our backline, on the other hand, was incredibly p1ss poor. I don't have much faith in Thomson but he was sorely let down by those in front of him. 1st goal should have been dealt with, the second came from Muirhead f*cking up a pass and the third was incredibly poor defending - I know we're midgets but how on earth did that ball get all the way through? I really don't understand why during the first half we repeatedly insisted on having 4 or 5 players lying deep dealing with 2 or 3 players. There was a man over that should have been pushing forward to support midfield. Just really poor reading of the game from the boys at the back.

So, instead of dreaming of creeping into 3rd or 4th we're back looking over our shoulders sh1ting ourselves about the next 3 league games. Sake!
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.

BeanCountingBairn
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by BeanCountingBairn » Saturday 03rd 2018f February 2018 08:52:37 PM

Habib Utak Al Hansi wrote:
Saturday 03rd 2018f February 2018 08:44:09 PM
[quote="Duncan Freemason" post_id=569953 time=<a href="tel:1517685023">1517685023</a> user_id=4921]
Jesus Aitch Christ, we all knew what today’s opponents are all about. Have a scrap, get possession, play for touch.
So what did Hartley do? He played 100% right into their hands. We abandoned football, and tried to compete with them on kick and rush terms, and we got exactly what we deserved.
Clearly Hartley didn’t get every base covered in the January window, and the priority in the summer has to be to get some steel into the side. No more wee guys please. They are great when they possess the skills to play around big ugly mugs like Livingston’s, but when they get drawn into matching their hoof ball with even more hoof ball, then unfortunately, the anti-football team will win out.
Today’s mess clearly shows that we are a long way off being where we need to be.
Teams like that shouldn’t be coming to our gaff and winning. Not ever.
Anti-football? Kick and Rush? Utter nonsense. You make it sound like they turned up and booted us up and down the park for 90 minutes. They are big and physical but so what, it's allowed. I wish we had some of that in our team. They alo played any football that was on show today, the cross and finish for their second was superb. Their no 8, Pittman I think, is head and shoulders above anything in our midfield. They thoroughly deserved their win.

In terms of both physical prowess and football ability, Livingston are streets ahead of us. Until they went down to 10 men, so were Inverness. If that does not shame and alarm everyone involved at FFC, it should.
[/quote]

Agree with the above. Livi were way ahead of us football wise. Outplayed and outfought. Quite a few players in their line up we could have signed over the years if we’d had a decent scouting system and a better manager than Houston at the helm.

John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by John Markie » Saturday 03rd 2018f February 2018 09:28:58 PM

We pretty much got everything wrong today. The manager started with the wrong formation, or at least with too much respect for Livvi, sitting off, fullbacks too deep and midfield either bypassed completely, or just outfought. we then simply gave them the ball all the time, didn't compete well enough all over the park, were second to every ball, 1st phase and 2nd phase, and although we won exactly zero headers all day, insisted on pumping the ball forward in the air at every opportunity. It was inevitable we were going to lose, especially given the performance in the first 45 minutes and the manager deciding for whatever reason, not to make any changes until we were two down. We really only started to play then, when it was already way too late and we can only wonder at what might have been had Jukubiak on rumbling them up from the start. Once again the usual suspects were at fault, but when they have no-one else taking responsibility around them we look like a very sorry bunch, and the lack of leadership should worry us all. i think we need to realise that of that starting 11 maybe only three or four are really good enough to be playing at this level. Summer and a real clear out can't come quick enough.

Ratings

Thomson 4/10. He came, he stayed, he dithered, he flapped, he was as slow as ever with his distribution. Back to the bench. Gone in the summer

Tumilty 5/10. Not the worst performer, but really slow at closing down and seems to lack confidence when driving forward. Gone at end of season.
Muirhead 2/10. Back to his usual woeful self. passing appalling, defending clueless and he is nowhere near being captain material. He is so bad, I'd rather play our worst kid than him. Surely must go at end of season, as he is a total liability
Grant 4/10. Did what he could in the air, but his shortcomings in every other department are clear to see. Dreadful.; Away at end of season
McGhee 5/10. Pretty poor show from our best defender. Runs up the park with the ball, fails to make the right pass, losses the ball then trundles back. Very, very poor today, but still streets ahead of his other centre backs. Worth keeping but needs help.
Robson 5/10. Looked lethargic and out of sorts. Never competed and when going forward seemed reluctant to really drive at the opposition. Not his day but would love to hold onto this kid.

Taiwo 4/10. Never really got into the game, and the ball seemed to just get blootered past him from both sides. Never took charge in midfield and second to every ball. Too small and not quick enough - this should be his last season as a bairn.
Sibbs 6/10. MotM. The only player who actually tried to stretch the opposition with his passing and running. Again bypassed too often, but not through choice. He will go, and be badly missed as we don't get this quality too often.
Kidd 3/10. Terrible today. Couldn't catch anyone to even get a tackle in, and really not effective when using the ball. Easy option every time and no vision. Never got far enough forward. Tries hard, but just not good enough - away at season close.

Longridge 4/10. Just not at the races today. Every decision was the wrong one and although he showed plenty energy did little with the ball when he did get it. I quite like him but needs more consistency 50/50 whether he's offered new deal.
Nelson 3/10. You would be hard pushed to think of one thing he did right all day. Should have hooked at HT at least, if not before. Back to Sunderland.

Subs
Jakubiak 6/10. Did more in his 25 minutes than most of the rest did in 90. Must start on Tuesday. Would love to keep this guy - but no chance.
McKee 5/10. Much better than Kidd, but then I imagine anyone would have been an improvement. At least tried to keep it on the deck. Gone in the summer.
Loy 4/10. The legs have gone, but the brain is still there. Just unfortunate he can't cut it at this level any longer. Gone in the summer.
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

Falkirkbairn90
Reserve sub
Reserve sub

Post by Falkirkbairn90 » Saturday 03rd 2018f February 2018 10:54:59 PM

Alba you are being way too dramatic. Yes we were poor today but you’ve openly praised the likes of Nelson in recent weeks and now after 90 minutes you want him gone? Agree with a lot of your ratings but I think you’re wrong about the GK. Other than the 3rd goal he made 2 or 3 really good saves to keep us in it. Even at the 3rd goal there was a ruckus of bodies it came through - not easy to deal with. I was watching on Falkirk TV as I couldn’t make it today and he was fouled twice. Dropped the ball both times, got only one foul though. I had the advantage of seeing multiple replays.

I think changes will be rung on Tuesday anyway as there were some performances that were really below par. One thing I must agree with you on is Muirhead. I blame him for the first goal, he blatantly shat out a challenge and it led to them scoring. That’s not good enough. You’re a defender you go through everybody and everything.

I think we will bounce back. This team are still gelling remember.

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Saturday 03rd 2018f February 2018 11:06:15 PM

Duncan Freemason wrote:
Saturday 03rd 2018f February 2018 08:10:23 PM
Jesus Aitch Christ, we all knew what today’s opponents are all about. Have a scrap, get possession, play for touch.
So what did Hartley do? He played 100% right into their hands. We abandoned football, and tried to compete with them on kick and rush terms, and we got exactly what we deserved.
Clearly Hartley didn’t get every base covered in the January window, and the priority in the summer has to be to get some steel into the side. No more wee guys please. They are great when they possess the skills to play around big ugly mugs like Livingston’s, but when they get drawn into matching their hoof ball with even more hoof ball, then unfortunately, the anti-football team will win out.
Today’s mess clearly shows that we are a long way off being where we need to be.
Anti-football? Kick and Rush? Utter nonsense. You make it sound like they turned up and booted us up and down the park for 90 minutes. They are big and physical but so what, it's allowed. I wish we had some of that in our team. They alo played any football that was on show today, the cross and finish for their second was superb. Their no 8, Pittman I think, is head and shoulders above anything in our midfield. They thoroughly deserved their win.

In terms of both physical prowess and football ability, Livingston are streets ahead of us. Until they went down to 10 men, so were Inverness. If that does not shame and alarm everyone involved at FFC, it should.
Where did I say they kicked us up and down the park? Nowhere did I say that. Livingston are the very definition of anti football. Pittman is decent, no doubt about it, but their entire team is predicated on physical intimidation. You say “so what, it’s allowed”. Where did I say it wasn’t allowed? Oh that’s right, I didn’t say that either.
The “so what” is that they and their physical intimidation beat us, and it only ever beats teams that decide to attempt to “win battles” rather than play football.
In that weird dream like Dundee United game, we played football. Maybe it was a one time fluke. Since then, we have been a real mixed bag, and that probably isn’t going to change this season.
Where I will disagree with you also is saying they are streets ahead of us in football ability. That my friend really is nonsense. In truth, this league doesn’t contain a single decent footballing side, let alone any that are streets ahead of any other.

Habib Utak Al Hansi
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Habib Utak Al Hansi » Sunday 04th 2018f February 2018 12:03:22 AM

Duncan Freemason wrote:
Saturday 03rd 2018f February 2018 11:06:15 PM
Duncan Freemason wrote:
Saturday 03rd 2018f February 2018 08:10:23 PM

Where did I say they kicked us up and down the park? Nowhere did I say that. Livingston are the very definition of anti football. Pittman is decent, no doubt about it, but their entire team is predicated on physical intimidation. You say “so what, it’s allowed”. Where did I say it wasn’t allowed? Oh that’s right, I didn’t say that either.
The “so what” is that they and their physical intimidation beat us, and it only ever beats teams that decide to attempt to “win battles” rather than play football.
In that weird dream like Dundee United game, we played football. Maybe it was a one time fluke. Since then, we have been a real mixed bag, and that probably isn’t going to change this season.
Where I will disagree with you also is saying they are streets ahead of us in football ability. That my friend really is nonsense. In truth, this league doesn’t contain a single decent footballing side, let alone any that are streets ahead of any other.
Livingston are the very definition of anti football? So what description would you apply to the likes of Grant and Muirhead spending 90 minutes launching aimless, pointless, useless long balls in the vague direction of, well, no one in a blue jersey that had a hope in hell of winning them.

This physical imitimdation you keep going on about. How exactly did that manifest itself in the context of todays game? By being pysically bigger, stronger, quicker in the tackle, first to the ball? If that is what you mean by physical intimidation then, yep, Livingston have got that down to a fine art. You certainly cannot be referring to late tackles or off-the-ball elbows and the like that would traditionally define physical intimidation as there simply weren't any, there was not one bad tackle in the game.

Livingston have come to TFS three times season. They have won every game, and deserved to do so on each occasion. They are one point off second, we are hoping to scramble enough points to reach the dizzy heights of eigth place and finish above mighty Dumbarton. So relative to the likes of Barcelona and Juventus they aint up to much, in comparison to us, they are a far better team, and proved it today.
PEP SHITTY SHOES - GTF

Pete
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Pete » Sunday 04th 2018f February 2018 02:44:15 AM

Livy are just long ball bully boy merchants, however they are well within their rights to play like that and we just couldnt cope or find a way to combat it. They deserved their win but it was obvious that was how they would play so we should have been ready for it.

Extremely disappointing performance considering our recent results, tuesday is now a must win

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Sunday 04th 2018f February 2018 03:05:29 AM

Houston and his signing policy has totally humped us

How can you work under Levein for years and not see strength, pace and power is vital to a team.

We need to survive this season and pray a cup run lowers our losses - for next season.
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

Creative Redemption
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Creative Redemption » Sunday 04th 2018f February 2018 10:22:59 AM

Terrible, but more down to every one of our players having an off day.
However Livi our played, out fought and were better throughout. Fair play to them. They played a much better brand of football than they did last week.
I knew we would lose again during the season so hopefully that will give us the kick up the backside to realise we are not on the way back, not yet anyway.
It maybe shows that if Inverness hadnt given away two pens and a man sent off would we have won? Ifs and buts.....
Hartleys biggest test comes on Tuesday. He needs to pick the right side, formation, and more importantly performance and result.
Here comes the doom.

Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Ricey » Sunday 04th 2018f February 2018 03:53:31 PM

Unfortunately too many people got carried away with a couple of lucky results. At Livingston we were extremely lucky to win. They were the better team on the night and we scarcely deserved the victory. The ict win was down to a sending off. We are not good enough and many of the new signings aren’t much better than we had. Hartley is being caught out tactically too often and as others have said we are going to see another full scale reshuffle in the summer.

With houston we had too stagnant a squad but we seem to have the polar opposite with Hartley when something inbetween iswhere we need to be.

John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by John Markie » Sunday 04th 2018f February 2018 11:10:50 PM

Falkirkbairn90 wrote:
Saturday 03rd 2018f February 2018 10:54:59 PM
Alba you are being way too dramatic. Yes we were poor today but you’ve openly praised the likes of Nelson in recent weeks and now after 90 minutes you want him gone? Agree with a lot of your ratings but I think you’re wrong about the GK. Other than the 3rd goal he made 2 or 3 really good saves to keep us in it. Even at the 3rd goal there was a ruckus of bodies it came through - not easy to deal with. I was watching on Falkirk TV as I couldn’t make it today and he was fouled twice. Dropped the ball both times, got only one foul though. I had the advantage of seeing multiple replays.

I think changes will be rung on Tuesday anyway as there were some performances that were really below par. One thing I must agree with you on is Muirhead. I blame him for the first goal, he blatantly shat out a challenge and it led to them scoring. That’s not good enough. You’re a defender you go through everybody and everything.

I think we will bounce back. This team are still gelling remember.
Personally think Nelson is more than decent. I just don't think Hartley will keep him, hence my opinion he will return to Sunderland. I doubt we could afford him anyway. I envisage PH getting rid of all/most of the current 1st team squad whenever he can. The defence is shambolic with Muirhead in there - and Hartley has made him captain!!!! That, quite frankly, is staggering. I cannot think of a worse player to have picked as Captain. Makes me wonder about Hartley's assessment of players.
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

Creative Redemption
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Creative Redemption » Monday 05th 2018f February 2018 01:17:10 PM

I think it must be how Muirhead is in training that Hartley likes. He will probably be the most vocal, and is quite a hard player (by all accounts).
Our problem is with Grant and Muirhead, you dont have a centre half who can play football. Thats what we miss and probaby Watson is a better technical player than those two, but is very quiet and unassuming at the back.
That was my biggest issue on Saturday, the players at the back would notbe brave and bring the ball down and pass it. This led to them just humping high ball that came to them, which just gave the possession back to Livi. We needd someone brave enough to take a touch and pass out from the back, but we dont have that.
Here comes the doom.