v ICT 27th Jan

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

v ICT 27th Jan

Post by John Markie » Friday 26th 2018f January 2018 09:41:26 PM

No thread started yet, so thought I'd start one.

Team is likely to be the one that started v Livvi, except maybe Taiwo won't make it and I expect Hazard to start in goal. Without Taiwo we lack steel in the middle, although Sibbs has been pretty aggressive in that respect, but Kidd, Welsh and Blair look a bit lightweight when the going gets tough.

This will be a tough one.
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Re: v ICT 27th Jan

Post by Olaf Thom » Saturday 27th 2018f January 2018 12:09:32 AM

Welsh was a strange signing and now Blair is here, it looks even more so.

ICT have problems in midfield with suspension and injury, however if they just put a couple of converted defender turned midfield clugger types in there, we will really struggle.

One thing is certain, we won't keep 3 clean sheets in a row! So we need at least 2 goals. Need a win, but I think a draw is most likely.
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Saturday 27th 2018f January 2018 09:03:08 AM

this could be the toughest of our next 5 fixtures. Inverness Livingston Dumbarton and Brechin home and away. I'd like to think we could pick up 10 points minimum from that 15. 3 wins a draw and a loss. its a great run of games to get up the table and prove our recent decent form of 4 wins from 6 is no short term thing.

if we can win today that would be a massive result for us with those 4 games after. also closes gap on Inverness who ate form side and gave aspirations for play offs. and would love to see us out of that bottom two for what has seemed like an eternity.

as for the team today no idea who Hartley will pick just hoping to go and enjoy the game like the United one. interesting to see if he puts hazard straight in after we've had two clean sheets. my guess is yes
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Saturday 27th 2018f January 2018 03:24:45 PM

Time to head down to the TFS more in hope than expectation. Anything from today is a bonus. ICT will revert to full time cloggers next season if they don’t get out of the league this year, but for now, they are well capable of approaching this game in either footballing mode, or physical intimidation mode.
Given their midfield is weak today, I fully expect them to choose to bully us all over the pitch.
We now have two or three battlers, but maybe not enough to win out against the sustained battering that I expect the visitors will serve up today.

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Saturday 27th 2018f January 2018 06:25:03 PM

Well, it looks as though Robertson did indeed go for the “batter them” plan.No doubt Oakley got the message loud and clear as he played Dennis The Menace to Grant’s Walter the Softie.
Thankfully, Mulroney got the “batter them” message too, and decided to implement it literally. Fantastic thickness and buffoonery from the lad that went a long way to presenting us with the (unexpected) three points.
They still look capable of being a bit better than us, but given the changes Hartley has made in such a short time frame, it’s hardly surprising.
The lad Seedorf is a great lesson on why you should always think very carefully about giving contracts to players because they have a famous name. Aye, he will chemically have much of the same DNA as Clarence, but clearly doesn’t have so much as one molecule of a footballing brain.

Kiddy
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Kiddy » Saturday 27th 2018f January 2018 07:33:41 PM

Fairly even first half, which was marred by a fairly bizarre couple of minutes; where Mulraney clearly had the red must descending around him.
His sending off handed the momentum straight to us.
We made pretty good use of the extra man, playing into the space afforded, with movement creating further opportunities.
Two defo pen's, the first a trip of the soft, but technically correct variety. The second more if the stone wall, as Robson had the legs whipped from him.
Glad to see Andy Nelson finally net & hope that's him off & running in those stakes.
The longer the game went, the more confident we became, but were caught out trying to be too fancy before conceding. This showed the vulnerabilities are still there in the background.
Over all, a third win on the trot & progression toward where we want to be.
Last edited by Kiddy on Saturday 27th 2018f January 2018 07:38:30 PM, edited 1 time in total.
No financial regulation, no corporate governance, no enlarged divisions, no summer football, no single ruling body, no new cash, no integrity. Behold the 'bright new dawn' for Scottish football,

Pete
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Pete » Saturday 27th 2018f January 2018 07:35:55 PM

Great result. Struggled at first with the bully boy tactics but we eventually got the upper hand and controlled the game. Really should have been out of sight before they got a goal back, but thankfully we got a crucial third, which was quite unfalkirk like as we usually end up just trying to hold on if that situation arises.

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Saturday 27th 2018f January 2018 08:19:55 PM

Great result, bit of a patchy performance

Sibbald easily man of the match, showing strength to add to his skill.

I think we still have a bit of a soft belly, I’m not convinced Kidd and Taiwo are strong enough or mobile enough, I would try Blair instead on Kidd next week.

Have to say Alex Jakubiak looks like someone we’ve been missing for years!!! Pace and Power, bigger guys were bouncing off him and he gets stuck in. He showed more passion in 18 mins than that imposter Austin did in 18 months. I think he makes a fantastic impact sub, but like to see what more he can do.

Probably going to jinx him, but big Muirhead is great on the penalties, I’m struggling to think of a more reliable taker for Falkirk.
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Saturday 27th 2018f January 2018 09:04:36 PM

first half hour we struggled then came into the game for the next 15 mins and then mulraney deservedly gets sent off and changes the game. agree with olaf I'd try Blair instead of kidd (never been a fan but he's been better in midfield than right back) as sibbald kidd and taiwo are all small and slow. good players though. the Inverness midfield bossed us for 30 minutes and I feared the worst however a great result against an in form very big physical and good side.

credit to Hartley in stretching them when down to 10 men. couldn't see Houston putting jabuliak on for taiwo at that point. like the two quick direct physical strikers in Nelson and jabuliak could be special. sibbald and aero best for me today.

great run of games coming up for us now with Brechin twice and Dumbarton and livvi at home. can't believe we are still 17 points behind a terrible dundee Utd shows how awful our pre Xmas form was. team coming together nicely rid of slower players and quicker and more dangerous now. 6 wins from 8 and 2nd in the form table to st mirren. we might not make the play offs but at least no one will fancy playing us now.

chance of scottish cup run too. whisper it but things ate looking up compared to the dark days of 1 win in 16.
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by John Markie » Saturday 27th 2018f January 2018 09:39:53 PM

ICT initially way ahead of us in passing and mobility with their no.17 and a few others showing our lads a clean pair of heels on a few occasions. Fair play to the lads though and we stuck at it, and were just beginning to get the upper hand when that eedjit got sent off. He should actually have walked for the earlier foul on Longridge near their box, but it was a certain red when he did eventually go. We pretty much bossed it thereafter, but it was worrying how soft and slow we are at the back, especially for their consolation goal, which was a cluster of our own making to an extent. I thought we used the space really intelligently after the break and in the end we won fairly comfortably, which for the opening 25 minutes didn't think we would. We have unearthed a real gem in Robson, but was happiest for Nelson who finally got off the mark with a great tap in from outstanding work by Jakubiak. We now have a team with several potential game winners in it, and Sibbald has been a total revelation since he's been released from being the wide man in a midfield 4. He gets so involved and makes terrific runs all over the park, which is why I made him my MotM today. Imperious performance by him.

Ratings

Thomson 8/10. Only a couple of wasteful balls out and did well claiming a few crosses, instead of just dithering on his line. Much better today and a decent save 1st half too.

Tumilty 7/10. Did very well going forward and was solid defensively. Better second half as was everyone, but seems to be gaining confidence with every game.
Muirhead 7/10. Only one blooter straight out the park, and not entirely blameless for their goal. great penalties but no way motm.
Grant 7/10. Got bullied 1st half by their big centre forward, but much better second half. Passing better, but still not great.
McGhee 8/10. Lost ball for their goal but that apart was excellent once again stepping into midfield to bolster it when required
Robson 9/10. excellent in every respect, although a couple of wee errors 1st half. Only just pipped as my motm.

Kidd 7/10. Looked a wee bit too easily beat in first 25 minutes, but never stopped trying to get forward. Lacks a wee bit of pace.
Taiwo 8/10. Did really well keeping the midfield intact, closing down and managing to get forward too
Sibbald 9.5/10. Back to his sparkling best. He was everywhere today, teasing and taunting, battling and scrapping for everything. Outstanding.

Longridge 8/10. This guy never stops either, always hungry for the ball and generally being a real thorn in the opposition flesh. Great work today.
Nelson 8/10. Finally just reward for all his hard work. Hopefully thats the first of many. Terrific player.

subs
Jakubiak 8/10. Wow - what a home debut. Fantastic pace power control and aggression. Agree with Olaf - showed more in 18 minutes than Austin did in 18 months with us.
O'Hara 6/10. Looked sharp and has pace to burn.

Once again the officials proved how desperately awful Scottish refs/linesman can be. Wouldn't trust any of them to successfully cross a road unaided. Sponsored by specsavers - they need to get an appointment made then cos the obvious things they missed were embarrassing. Useless once again
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Ricey » Saturday 27th 2018f January 2018 10:54:43 PM

Great result but a little fortunate that the ICT lad had a 5 minutes of madness. Up until then ICT had bossed the match. After the sending off we never looked like not winning. Muirhead had by far his best game of the season and Like Olaf I thought Sibbs was excellent. Wee Robson continues to look a real find I just love his approach. Disagree with others who thought Tumilty was good, I don’t think he is up to much. Granted he’s never a wingback and would likely do better in a 442 but he offers little going forward (admittedly more than Muirhead or Kidd did there). We really need a clone of Tommy Robson on the right someone with pace to burn and a willingness to take players on and make lung bursting runs. That isn’t Tumilty.

Great to see Nelson get a goal which should help his confidence and Jakubiak looked much better than he did at Livingston. I notice Welsh wasn’t in the squad today. Not really sure why we signed him?

On paper and easier run of games now that we need to take full advantage of

rusty_nail
First Team sub
First Team sub

Post by rusty_nail » Saturday 27th 2018f January 2018 11:02:29 PM

A game of little note decided by two pens.

I'd heard a lot about Robson but he was no better than average.

Were winning while not being great and still have a fragility hence the ICT goal.

Upto 8th and that's where we want to be come the seasons end.
Contemplating the future of One F in Falkirk

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Saturday 27th 2018f January 2018 11:48:42 PM

rusty_nail wrote:
Saturday 27th 2018f January 2018 11:02:29 PM
A game of little note decided by two pens.

I'd heard a lot about Robson but he was no better than average.

Were winning while not being great and still have a fragility hence the ICT goal.

Upto 8th and that's where we want to be come the seasons end.
Robson is better than Leahy and Leahy was the best left back in the league last year.

Sir Jones
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Sir Jones » Sunday 28th 2018f January 2018 12:49:10 AM

Surprised to read Robson as being badged as "average". The lad has made a huge impact since joining and looks a real talent.

Anyway, an odd first half. ICT bossed large patches of the first half hour or so but never really created anything of note. Our midfield struggled to make an impact until Sibbald settled into the game and started to take men on. Some of his touches were fabulous today. I think had we another 10 minutes in the 1st half we may have nicked a goal without the red card - we certainly finished the half the stronger looking side.

But the game was really decided by Mulraney losing the plot. It was reminiscent of that little c*nt Higginbotham a few months back only in this scenario I havent a scooby doo what set the lad off. He should have been spoken to earlier for, shall we say, some suspect trips and falls but that couple of minutes of madness was ridiculous. Cherry on top for the kicking of the water bottle when marching off.

Anyway, thems the breaks. Did well to get an early goal and the rest is history.

MotM for me was Sibbald though a few were in the running for it. Nelson was fantastic today. He's got John Baird's work rate but he's just about 100 times the player. Great touch, some fantastic skills, and doesnt spend most of the game getting caught offside.
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.

Quidsin
Experianced Manager
Experianced Manager

Post by Quidsin » Sunday 28th 2018f January 2018 01:46:50 PM

Olaf Thom wrote:
Saturday 27th 2018f January 2018 12:09:32 AM
Welsh was a strange signing and now Blair is here, it looks even more so.

ICT have problems in midfield with suspension and injury, however if they just put a couple of converted defender turned midfield clugger types in there, we will really struggle.

One thing is certain, we won't keep 3 clean sheets in a row! So we need at least 2 goals. Need a win, but I think a draw is most likely.
The signing of Welsh and Blair will tell over time. Hartley’s one for assessing the fitness and freshness of players each week and would switch Kidd and Taiwo between Welsh and Blair.
SAFE TERRACING FOR TFS EAST STAND.
"Falkirk Flyfishing, my name yes, it's Paul J Hartley"