Morton (away)

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Morton (away)

Post by John Markie » Thursday 11th 2018f January 2018 09:30:10 PM

Lets hope we put on a better show than at Sneck. I would drop a couple of defenders for this.

----------------------Thomson------------------------
----Tumilty----Watson----McGhee----Robson----
----Kidd----Taiwo----Sibbald----Blair----
----------Longridge----Jakubiak--------
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

AL_bairn
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Re: Morton (away)

Post by AL_bairn » Thursday 11th 2018f January 2018 09:46:54 PM

John Markie wrote:
Thursday 11th 2018f January 2018 09:30:10 PM
Lets hope we put on a better show than at Sneck. I would drop a couple of defenders for this.

----------------------Thomson------------------------
----Tumilty----Watson----McGhee----Robson----
----Kidd----Taiwo----Sibbald----Blair----
----------Longridge----Jakubiak--------
I can't see Hartley ditching the 3 at the back now. There wouldn't be enough width playing the flat back 4, we need Robson and Tumilty playing further up.

I just hope Taiwo is back to protect that back 3. I'd start Watson and drop Muirhead.

JaxinFalkirk
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by JaxinFalkirk » Thursday 11th 2018f January 2018 11:28:13 PM

Understand from contacts in Swansea that Blair has been playing deeper sitting midfield so suspect we might see a
diamond formation with 3 at the back -

Personally I would go for following

Goalie - ???

Watson right , Taiwo sweeping, McGhee left,

Blair @ siting mid,
Tumulty. Robson

Sibbald

Longridge. Nelson. Zauliak

JaxinFalkirk
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by JaxinFalkirk » Thursday 11th 2018f January 2018 11:28:57 PM

Understand from contacts in Swansea that Blair has been playing deeper sitting midfield so suspect we might see a

Goalie - ???

Blair @ siting mid,
Tumulty. Robson

Sibbald

JaxinFalkirk
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by JaxinFalkirk » Thursday 11th 2018f January 2018 11:30:25 PM

Apologies should have read Jalubiak in front three

JaxinFalkirk
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by JaxinFalkirk » Thursday 11th 2018f January 2018 11:31:28 PM

Any mileage in Darren O Dea rumour in exchange for Loy & Grant

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Friday 12th 2018f January 2018 10:52:23 AM

JaxinFalkirk wrote:
Thursday 11th 2018f January 2018 11:28:57 PM

Goalie - ???

Blair @ siting mid,
Tumulty. Robson

Sibbald

Would keep Taiwo in the middle. Honestly still think that Kerr could do a job as sweeper if not totally out the picture.

Falkirkbairn90
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Falkirkbairn90 » Friday 12th 2018f January 2018 06:34:07 PM

Sweepers are a thing of the past. Couldn’t tell you the last time I saw us playing one. I think he will go with the following:

Thomson

Muirhead Grant McGhee

Blair
Tumility Robson

Subbald

Longridge Jakubiak

If Taiwo is fit he will play and Welsh could start in the Centre mid. I wouldn’t drop Nelson but he can’t drop Longridge and I reckon this Jakubiak is here to play so he will go straight in.

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Friday 12th 2018f January 2018 08:34:57 PM

Falkirkbairn90 wrote:
Friday 12th 2018f January 2018 06:34:07 PM
Sweepers are a thing of the past.
2002/03 with Scott McKenzie in a similar formation. 3-5-2 pretty much a formation of the past too!

Falkirkbairn90
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Falkirkbairn90 » Friday 12th 2018f January 2018 10:30:37 PM

Dade wrote:
Friday 12th 2018f January 2018 08:34:57 PM
Falkirkbairn90 wrote:
Friday 12th 2018f January 2018 06:34:07 PM
Sweepers are a thing of the past.
2002/03 with Scott McKenzie in a similar formation. 3-5-2 pretty much a formation of the past too!
Yes I remember that although I was just a boy, 3-5-2 isn’t a formation I would play personally. There’s been no hint of Hartley playing a sweeper, that’s more what I was getting at. I just hope we can shut up shop tomorrow and stop the leak while playing some nice stuff. There’s goals in this team now, we just need to find the right balance. Come February I think PH will have found his best 11 and we will be playing some brilliant stuff with consistency.

Sir Jones
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Sir Jones » Saturday 13th 2018f January 2018 06:00:25 PM

Watched on FTV. Morton will feel hard done by considering the goal line clearances (was it 4 in the end?!) but a pretty good, solid performance and an excellent result at a difficult ground.

Thought we looked in control and comfortable up until Duffy changed Morton up to be man for man and chucked everything at us. Very happy with the work rate from midfield and up top (Longridge and Nelson were superb at running down everything) but constant heart in mouth moments from anything knocked high into the middle of our box. I just don't have faith in our keeper or centre halves though Watson did well when he came on.

3 tough fixtures coming up which I still dont expect much from. 3+ points would be pretty successful in my book from the league ties. Then there is that run of crunch games with Brechin x2 and Dumbarton. We're going to comfortably avoid the relegation spots IMO - all about what we can do and build on between now and August.
Last edited by Sir Jones on Saturday 13th 2018f January 2018 06:47:21 PM, edited 1 time in total.
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.

Pete
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Pete » Saturday 13th 2018f January 2018 06:12:09 PM

agree with the above. Team put a massive shift in and yeah it was 4 clearances if you count thomsons save on the line.

We did hit the post oursellves and nelson should have scored after 5 minutes, we also looked dangerous on the break in the second half.

Overall very happy

Pete
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Pete » Saturday 13th 2018f January 2018 06:16:08 PM

And taiwo was immense, chased everything all over the pitch.

dixie chicken
International Sub
International Sub

Post by dixie chicken » Saturday 13th 2018f January 2018 07:15:37 PM

Really good performance.
I think we’re not far from having a really good side.
For me, Robson is a revelation. At last a proper full back.
Top marks also to Taiwo, Kidd (am I saying this) and Nelson and Longridge up front.
Sibbald scored but wasn’t quite up to scratch today.
Anyway, felt like old times today.

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Saturday 13th 2018f January 2018 09:24:29 PM

Long time since we have successfully adopted a “let’s hang onto a 0-1 lead” plan.
Sure Morton threw the kitchen sink at us, and came close a few times, but never close enough. Equally, we could have been two or three up before they got the upper hand.
Maybe we still haven’t turned that elusive corner, but the signs of improvement are still there.
I agree with BPM, and I think ICT are by quite a distance, the best equipped and most physically intimidating side in the league. I think they reinforced that today by comfortably seeing of QotS. By all accounts it was 3-1, but could easily have been six or seven.
Maybe foolish, but I am a bit more optimistic about the Cup game (I think we are improving and the serial cheats are about to go on the slide). ICT at home......very much the league’s team of the moment, and if we get something (anything) from that game, then great.
Then it’s back to the serial cheats again. They might be without a couple of players by then, and I am going to put us down for a two or three goal margin win.

dumbairn
Under 18 superstar
Under 18 superstar

Post by dumbairn » Saturday 13th 2018f January 2018 09:40:21 PM

Most important today, the players were passionate, gave their all and were clearly elated at the full-time whistle, the manager on the pitch congratulating every one of them. I notice now, for the first time in a long time, we can actually play and compete for the full 90 minutes. Robson was superb with Taiwo just a brilliant guy to have in your side. Longridge too. In truth, though, everybody played their part - and that's the key. We're back to being a TEAM.

John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by John Markie » Saturday 13th 2018f January 2018 09:47:32 PM

We ground out a decent result here today. For long periods it was far from pretty, and at times wished I hadn't actually bothered going as we made very heavy weather of defending set plays which I felt sure we lose a goal from. We somehow didn't and to be fair in the final 10 minutes we seemed to be coping better with their big lumps up the park. The goalkeeping and marking at free kicks and corners is really bad, and we have been fortunate today that luck was with us to a degree.

First half we were excellent going forward and we had decent powerful runs from wing-backs and midfield which complimented the work the front two were doing. Although the goal was a bit fortuitous Sibbs fairly blasted it home from short range giving their keeper no chance. Again we were unlucky with the woodwork too, and Nelson should maybe have done better early on. I think we shaded the first half simply through work rate and pressing so well. Their only chances came from corners and we were pretty terrible at defending those with goal line clearances on at least two occasions,

Second half and again it was us that had the best chances, other from the corners which we again defended poorly, and Longridge should have squared the ball to Nelson when he was inside their box with only the keeper to beat. Surely nelson would have just had a tap-in had he done that. Watson came on for the injured Tumilty and thankfully that meant the captain moved to right wing-back, so that added some stability to the back 3, but unfortunately weakened midfield. Towards the end we looked like we were flagging with a few lads picking up knocks and Nelson getting cramp late on. All in all a decent if somewhat underwhelming performance, but one that a few weeks ago we would have lost by quite some margin.

Ratings
Thomson 4/10. never comes for a cross no matter how much he practices pre match and at HT. Managed one punched clearance when he could have caught it easily, yet never came for easier floated balls. Distribution way too slow, way too wayward. New keeper needed urgently.

Tumilty 6/10. Thought he had quite a good game today, and with each game a little bit more confidence seems to come his way.
Muirhead 5/10. Only sclaffed two balls straight out of play when under no pressure - so that was a bonus. Did alright without ever inspiring confidence, or getting forward in second half. His best game for a while and he was still poor.
Grant 6/10. Fine when under pressure and challenging for headers, still abysmal with his passing.
McGhee 7/10. Again the best central defender without ever really hitting the heights. Workmanlike but more subdued than usual.
Robson 9/10. Fantastic performance again from the young man. Positionally he was spot on, he tackled and got his body in the way when needed. He went forward with pace and conviction, and there is the beginning of an understanding growing with Sibbald. Top lad.

Kidd 7/10. Did a lot of graft in the middle of the park that often goes unnoticed. Tracked back well and did his "trademark" burst through into the box again, sadly the pass to him wasn't good enough. Great effort.
Taiwo 8/10. Shows what we were lacking at Inverness, as he gets stuck in and covers so much ground defensively. Excellent today and great to see him gaining some form.
Sibbald 7/10. Slightly generous marking of Sibbs today as he was far from outstanding. But he did get the all important goal and he had Harkins in his pocket pretty much all game.

Longridge 9/10. My MotM. Terrific performance of non stop running and some not inconsiderable skill. He and Nelson so close on a couple of occasions not to be on quite the same wavelength.
Nelson 7/10. Runs his heart out and tries like a bear. Just been unfortunate with his finishing.

Subs
Watson 7/10. Shored up the right hand side of central defence with captain calamity being pushed into the less essential full back slot.
Loy 1/10. Did he actually touch the ball? Only on for a minute or two.

Still work to be done defensively but a very decent result which moves us step closer to safety.
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

dixie chicken
International Sub
International Sub

Post by dixie chicken » Saturday 13th 2018f January 2018 11:46:58 PM

Absolutely love the interview with Andrew Nelson post Morton game.
His enthusiasm is just so infectious and sums up his game entirely.
Great lad and , as mentioned earlier by me, I just love the full back play of Tommy Robson.

John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by John Markie » Sunday 14th 2018f January 2018 12:31:36 AM

dixie chicken wrote:
Saturday 13th 2018f January 2018 11:46:58 PM
Absolutely love the interview with Andrew Nelson post Morton game.
His enthusiasm is just so infectious and sums up his game entirely.
Great lad and , as mentioned earlier by me, I just love the full back play of Tommy Robson.
Could not agree more.

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Sunday 14th 2018f January 2018 11:22:28 AM

a corner has definitely been turned. 3 wins in 5 games compared to 1 win in the previous 16 games.
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003