v Dundee Utd

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
kent brockman
First Team regular
First Team regular
Posts: 1302
Joined: Saturday 12th 2005f November 2005 09:21:04 AM

Re: v Dundee Utd

Post by kent brockman » Monday 08th 2018f January 2018 11:09:08 AM

In Gordon`s defence, I don't think he would be responsible for the "Neanderthal" graphic.

I don't know how newspapers work but he probably wrote the article and someone else produced the graphic.

However given the backlash on social media yesterday, I suspect he will be exerting a bit more editorial control in future.
Its not the taking part that counts......its the WINNING.

stupac07
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar
Posts: 658
Joined: Thursday 29th 2009f January 2009 04:04:38 PM

Re: v Dundee Utd

Post by stupac07 » Monday 08th 2018f January 2018 11:13:31 AM

Falkirkbairn90 wrote:
Sunday 07th 2018f January 2018 10:11:43 PM
Ricey wrote:
Sunday 07th 2018f January 2018 08:23:20 PM
Yes Pete, Gordon I am never wrong Waddell should be given the cold shoulder by all fans. The picture was an affront to all falkirk fans and his failure to back down and apologise simply adds insult to injury
Disagree completely. The guy is 100% correct in everything he’s saying and he does not tar all falkirk fans with the same brush. In fact he refers to “silent majority” and thousands of decent people supporting the club. I applaud his article minus the picture but it’s simply a metaphor for the minority living in the dark ages, nothing more. As Dade says, it’s done now. The club and fans should move on and hope that incredible performance yesterday transforms our season
Hi Gordon, hiya pal.

The picture was a disgrace, the response to fellow fans on twitter was embarrassing, the guy has lost the plot. I would love to see him come down from his press box to try and deal with these fans. I do not condone what the young guys did on Tuesday but if he isn't prepared to put his money where his mouth is then he shouldn't be asking other fans to. It was time to move on as Dade has pointed out, we got a great result on Saturday but this guy has managed to take some of the shine off that by publishing this picture shameful!!

stupac07
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar
Posts: 658
Joined: Thursday 29th 2009f January 2009 04:04:38 PM

Re: v Dundee Utd

Post by stupac07 » Monday 08th 2018f January 2018 11:14:09 AM

kent brockman wrote:
Monday 08th 2018f January 2018 11:09:08 AM
In Gordon`s defence, I don't think he would be responsible for the "Neanderthal" graphic.

I don't know how newspapers work but he probably wrote the article and someone else produced the graphic.

However given the backlash on social media yesterday, I suspect he will be exerting a bit more editorial control in future.
He more or less admitted it on twitter yesterday look at his feed.

Falkirkbairn90
Reserve sub
Reserve sub
Posts: 170
Joined: Monday 06th 2015f July 2015 08:24:11 AM

Re: v Dundee Utd

Post by Falkirkbairn90 » Monday 08th 2018f January 2018 04:31:35 PM

I suppose it’s entirely an individual thing. I can see what he was getting at and I choose not to be offended at the picture as I know it’s not intended for me, it’s intended for the lads who did the deed but it is relative to each individual. I see his point and I’m not taking it out of context. If you choose to be offended by the photo then that is your right and I can certainly see why people are upset, I just don’t see it in the same way.

1995Bairn
Reserve sub
Reserve sub
Posts: 159
Joined: Wednesday 27th 2012f June 2012 04:27:03 PM

Re: v Dundee Utd

Post by 1995Bairn » Monday 08th 2018f January 2018 08:20:36 PM

Won 6-1 and yet I still finish the thread feeling depressed.

Back Post Misses
International Regular
International Regular
Posts: 5029
Joined: Sunday 14th 2006f May 2006 12:51:43 PM

Re: v Dundee Utd

Post by Back Post Misses » Tuesday 09th 2018f January 2018 06:28:08 AM

kent brockman wrote:
Monday 08th 2018f January 2018 11:09:08 AM
In Gordon`s defence, I don't think he would be responsible for the "Neanderthal" graphic.

I don't know how newspapers work but he probably wrote the article and someone else produced the graphic.

However given the backlash on social media yesterday, I suspect he will be exerting a bit more editorial control in future.
He has no defence.

He is the Sports Editor.

I was one who debated it with him on Twitter on Sunday. He even went to the length of scouring 3 Twitter feeds to see if we had condemned the actions on Tuesday.

Because we hadn't he started to use that as a way of deflecting from the graphic.

What happened Tuesday was wrong. However there are two things I would like to add to this debate. Some are not going to like it but I believe the points are valid.

1. Everyone has different levels of what they think is disgusting and what isnt. Some find the eyeball throwing as bad as it gets labelling people scum. Some, probably where I sit, think it was wrong but don't have the same level of disgust about it. Some have no issues with it. Ultimately it is personal choice. I find Waddell's attempt to ram his opinion towards this down my throat because I am not as outraged as him unacceptable. To tar the Falkirk support in that graphic was disgraceful.

2. Like it or not but I believe the eyeball throwing is a symptom of a group of people expressing their frustration over a situation where they see their team being wronged. Most including me think it was the wrong way to express that frustration but their frustration is valid. I am pissed off about it. These are not morons or scum as has been portrayed by Waddell and others who should know better. They are younger fans who are fed up with Falkirk FC having the finger pointed them over a situation which is certainly not all our clubs fault.

It is pretty widely known now that Joe Mckee's charge is not for slagging off Sheils about his eye. The media are reporting it, our manager has hinted it and Joe's family on SM seem to be on a mission to clear his name, and rightly so. Add to this the racism and the taunts about Craig Gowans from DA going virtually unmentioned in the press has led to this expression of frustration and anger.

It is no excuse to what the lads did. It was wrong what they did. This I believe however is why it happened and I believe that the points are valid. Hopefully they need to learn from it. How many of us in later years regret things they did when they were younger and would repeat the mistake again?

As many are now saying it is time to move on. We have to all learn from this. Fans, club and authorities. The media will never learn it is not in their interest to do so.

User avatar
Ranaldo Bairn
International Regular
International Regular
Posts: 5131
Joined: Tuesday 20th 2004f January 2004 08:17:26 PM
Location: Nova Prospekt.

Re: v Dundee Utd

Post by Ranaldo Bairn » Tuesday 09th 2018f January 2018 10:36:11 AM

Bang on BPM.
"You, who have destroyed so much - can you name even one thing you have created? I thought not. There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue Physicist."

stupac07
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar
Posts: 658
Joined: Thursday 29th 2009f January 2009 04:04:38 PM

Re: v Dundee Utd

Post by stupac07 » Tuesday 09th 2018f January 2018 10:50:01 AM

BPM I agree with almost all of what you are saying however I am not sure that the eyeball throwing was done in protest of Falkirk being victimised. I think it was just a few wee boys throwing things on to the pitch to be honest. I think they thought they were being funny possibly trying to impress older lads and didn't think it would stir as much attention by main stream media as it did. As someone mentioned we got a great result at the weekend, one of the best games I have witnessed at that stadium for a long time, however Waddell has managed to take the shine off it publishing that horrendous graphic the day after.

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International
Posts: 2281
Joined: Wednesday 24th 2007f January 2007 03:21:40 PM

Re: v Dundee Utd

Post by Dade » Tuesday 09th 2018f January 2018 11:44:29 AM

I’ve been pretty vociferous with my feelings on this but I wouldn’t be quick to label them sub-human scum. I do think the people that done it are total idiots but I’m suspecting it’s youngsters that done it, no doubt trying to be funny without thinking of the wider impact it has or effect on people with disabilities. That’s my hope anyway, that they’ll eventually grow up.

Like BPM said we’ve probably done things that were wrong or thought were acceptable when we were young. That’s not to let anyone off the hook but sub human scum just seems a bit much. Maybe they are but reading the thoughts some have shared about this matter it seems clear that there is a grey line on whether this kind of abuse is acceptable or not. I’ve obviously said what I feel and don’t want to go in to that debate again but when you hear Tom English make a joke about our result on Sportscene saying it was a result that ‘could take the eye out your head’ when looking at it, you do have to wonder whether this is in the consciousness as acceptable. Quite simply if you are going to say outright that it’s not ok, as I believe, then that kind of remark is surely just as bad.

Gordon’s article does well to establish his thoughts on this which I largely agree with and hope people take note in future. That said, I don’t particularly agree with his point about fan policing. The altruistic tone is fine however it would have more substance if such condemnation was made of fans lauding a terrorist organisation that’s killed hundreds of people or fans singing about killing Catholic’s.

That therefore makes the point about fans not approaching a group of neds a moot point considering the above goes without mention each week and the graphic associated in our article would never be used to portray either of the OF teams. If you want us to stick our neck out and go face to face with the idiots in our support then maybe lead by example and start trying to tackle the proper scum in our sport.

stupac07
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar
Posts: 658
Joined: Thursday 29th 2009f January 2009 04:04:38 PM

Re: v Dundee Utd

Post by stupac07 » Tuesday 09th 2018f January 2018 12:05:04 PM

Dade wrote:
Tuesday 09th 2018f January 2018 11:44:29 AM
I’ve been pretty vociferous with my feelings on this but I wouldn’t be quick to label them sub-human scum. I do think the people that done it are total idiots but I’m suspecting it’s youngsters that done it, no doubt trying to be funny without thinking of the wider impact it has or effect on people with disabilities. That’s my hope anyway, that they’ll eventually grow up.

Like BPM said we’ve probably done things that were wrong or thought were acceptable when we were young. That’s not to let anyone off the hook but sub human scum just seems a bit much. Maybe they are but reading the thoughts some have shared about this matter it seems clear that there is a grey line on whether this kind of abuse is acceptable or not. I’ve obviously said what I feel and don’t want to go in to that debate again but when you hear Tom English make a joke about our result on Sportscene saying it was a result that ‘could take the eye out your head’ when looking at it, you do have to wonder whether this is in the consciousness as acceptable. Quite simply if you are going to say outright that it’s not ok, as I believe, then that kind of remark is surely just as bad.

Gordon’s article does well to establish his thoughts on this which I largely agree with and hope people take note in future. That said, I don’t particularly agree with his point about fan policing. The altruistic tone is fine however it would have more substance if such condemnation was made of fans lauding a terrorist organisation that’s killed hundreds of people or fans singing about killing Catholic’s.

That therefore makes the point about fans not approaching a group of neds a moot point considering the above goes without mention each week and the graphic associated in our article would never be used to portray either of the OF teams. If you want us to stick our neck out and go face to face with the idiots in our support then maybe lead by example and start trying to tackle the proper scum in our sport.
To add to your point Dade does anyone really think Gordon Waddell would leave his press box to confront these so call 'Neanderthals'? I think not therefore the double standards he is spouting is farcical to say the least. I am with you on this one Dade it's not up to other fans to challenge the behaviour of some within our support its up to Stewards, Police, SPFL/SFA and individual clubs to deal with these issues. The last few games I have been to at EEP the general event management has been terrible, confusion over seating, stewards no interested in helping etc This doesn't excuse what happened on Tuesday but it doesn't help either.

ellonbairn
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar
Posts: 605
Joined: Wednesday 22nd 2006f November 2006 02:41:58 PM

Re: v Dundee Utd

Post by ellonbairn » Tuesday 09th 2018f January 2018 02:16:10 PM

Dade wrote:
Tuesday 09th 2018f January 2018 11:44:29 AM
I’ve been pretty vociferous with my feelings on this but I wouldn’t be quick to label them sub-human scum. I do think the people that done it are total idiots but I’m suspecting it’s youngsters that done it, no doubt trying to be funny without thinking of the wider impact it has or effect on people with disabilities. That’s my hope anyway, that they’ll eventually grow up.

Like BPM said we’ve probably done things that were wrong or thought were acceptable when we were young. That’s not to let anyone off the hook but sub human scum just seems a bit much. Maybe they are but reading the thoughts some have shared about this matter it seems clear that there is a grey line on whether this kind of abuse is acceptable or not. I’ve obviously said what I feel and don’t want to go in to that debate again but when you hear Tom English make a joke about our result on Sportscene saying it was a result that ‘could take the eye out your head’ when looking at it, you do have to wonder whether this is in the consciousness as acceptable. Quite simply if you are going to say outright that it’s not ok, as I believe, then that kind of remark is surely just as bad.

Gordon’s article does well to establish his thoughts on this which I largely agree with and hope people take note in future. That said, I don’t particularly agree with his point about fan policing. The altruistic tone is fine however it would have more substance if such condemnation was made of fans lauding a terrorist organisation that’s killed hundreds of people or fans singing about killing Catholic’s.

That therefore makes the point about fans not approaching a group of neds a moot point considering the above goes without mention each week and the graphic associated in our article would never be used to portray either of the OF teams. If you want us to stick our neck out and go face to face with the idiots in our support then maybe lead by example and start trying to tackle the proper scum in our sport.
Totally agree

Back Post Misses
International Regular
International Regular
Posts: 5029
Joined: Sunday 14th 2006f May 2006 12:51:43 PM

Re: v Dundee Utd

Post by Back Post Misses » Tuesday 09th 2018f January 2018 03:06:29 PM

stupac07 wrote:
Tuesday 09th 2018f January 2018 10:50:01 AM
BPM I agree with almost all of what you are saying however I am not sure that the eyeball throwing was done in protest of Falkirk being victimised. I think it was just a few wee boys throwing things on to the pitch to be honest. I think they thought they were being funny possibly trying to impress older lads and didn't think it would stir as much attention by main stream media as it did. As someone mentioned we got a great result at the weekend, one of the best games I have witnessed at that stadium for a long time, however Waddell has managed to take the shine off it publishing that horrendous graphic the day after.
I believe it is a form of protest. Not the best thing to do but most certainly a form of protest

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests