Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Re: v Dundee Utd

Post by Duncan Freemason » Saturday 06th 2018f January 2018 02:27:39 AM

Ricey wrote:
Friday 05th 2018f January 2018 07:07:27 PM
Whilst I agree we all see different solutions what doesn’t help Hartley are the obvious things he gets wrong. Is there anybody on this forum that thinks Alex Harris should have been brought off the bench on Tuesday? Anybody? This guy has had plenty of chances and has shown time after time to be an utter liability. It’s decisions like this that are working against Hartley not the results in my view.
I know where you are coming from Ricey. If nothing else (and given how utterly sparse our squad is in terms of first team quality), Hartley isn't going to be judge and jury over these players on hearsay alone. They are being given a decent shake of the stick to show him why they should be in the team. The vast majority are letting him down badly, and he has the evidence to back it up.
I have no doubt he will pull the trigger as soon as he can with these players. If he could get them off the wage bill tomorrow, I have no doubt he would.
Longridge might well be a one game in five player today, but Hartley simply has to believe he can turn him into a two or three game in five player. Lord knows, that Alloa team of Hartley's had half a dozen players in there who did diddley squat under any other manager, but he got them playing if not the best football of their careers, then most certainly the most disciplined and consistent football of their careers. I reckon he's trying to work the same system on Longridge. He's now clearing the deadwood from the back four, and once they get to know one another, we might have a more effective unit there too. Time will tell.

Sir Jones
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Sir Jones » Saturday 06th 2018f January 2018 11:06:06 AM

One thing I'll say in Hartley's defence is that he isn't afraid to try and Plan B or C. Doesn't always come off (Harris coming on for example) but he's demonstrated more mid match tactical changes since joining than probably our past 3 managers did combined. Maybe it's just due to circumstance and trial and error but I think we actually do have a man in the dugout who isn't afraid to try things to win matches.
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.

Falkirkbairn90
Reserve sub
Reserve sub

Post by Falkirkbairn90 » Saturday 06th 2018f January 2018 05:56:12 PM

What an incredible performance by all and an even better result. Who could’ve predicted this? Every man on the pitch should be proud of themselves and so should Paul Hartley. That last goal was the best move I’ve seen from us since Pedro scored at Motherwell all those years ago. We have turned a corner! COYB

AL_bairn
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by AL_bairn » Saturday 06th 2018f January 2018 06:39:57 PM

Sensational today. Feared the worst after we conceded early but my god what a performance and could have been more than 6.

That's 2 of the last 3 games Longridge has been excellent. I wasn't impressed at first but maybe was hard to judge coming in when he did, hopefully he can produce now more often than not.

Hopefully we can build on this and go to Inverness and get at least a point.

Habib Utak Al Hansi
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Habib Utak Al Hansi » Saturday 06th 2018f January 2018 06:58:16 PM

We had some great battling, never-say-die type performances in Houston's second season. But in terms of an actual footballing performance, that was the best for years. United got off lightly with six. Absolutely destroyed them.

Pleased for Paul Hartley, who has had to put up with a lot of crap in his short time here, little of it of his own making. He has improved us immeasurably in the full-back areas, which Houston never came close to resolving. Robson was impressive again. Nelson put in a great shift, Longridge was superb. No failures, and at last something to be happy about after a woeful season. :clink: :clink: :clink:
PEP SHITTY SHOES - GTF

Kiddy
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Kiddy » Saturday 06th 2018f January 2018 08:52:20 PM

Effort, commitment, application topped off with some skillful play.
Everything that the support have been looking for all season & see what you get from the outcome. 3 points, a win bonus, a happy set of fans & a positive outlook for the rest of the season.
If that's the standard of S/lands Academy, we should maybe be looking at taking a couple more. Think we may have found a gem in Robson & Nelson's movement, & ability to hold the ball up, gave the forward line an element of invention Longridge & Sibbald were thriving on.
The one gripe was the ball watching at the opening goal. I'm pretty sure everyone was thinking "here we go again". But giving credit where it's due, they knuckled down & got stuck in about the game.
Never mind eyeballs, somebody should be throwing fitba boots at that Utd side. Having been gifted the lead, they stank the house out, at Westfield, for a second time this season.
How they're sitting 2nd in the league is a complete mystery to me. Easily the worst side to rock up at Westfield this season.
Well done, now that's the standard you've to try keep to from now until May.
No financial regulation, no corporate governance, no enlarged divisions, no summer football, no single ruling body, no new cash, no integrity. Behold the 'bright new dawn' for Scottish football,

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Saturday 06th 2018f January 2018 09:38:19 PM

I watched the St Mirren V Dundee Utd game over the festive season and saw both teams played the same standard of football as us, but both teams had a desire and work rate that We haven’t shown that this season. Today we did, high press from forwards to closing down space - once we outwork teams, we have players who can play.

I agree with Kiddy, get more young guys from down south. Robson is a revelation (get him an 18 month contract]and Nelson deserved a goal for his work rate and closing down.

Fantastic display, reminded me of the Ian Mcall team, playing 3-5-2 and going for teams throats! Now produce this more often get up the league table and have a wee run in the cup!
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Saturday 06th 2018f January 2018 09:44:37 PM

great entertaining performance. even at one down the fans seemed to believe we'd win it and players responded. no hippo playing either and Hartley still talking of adding others. thought all in side were excellent however longridge and sibbald stood out.

we still have a very large squad with McKee loy Harris craigen gallacher Dunne ohara kerr miller etc barely involved today.
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Saturday 06th 2018f January 2018 09:50:35 PM

What a result. Really hope this sparks a turn around but don’t want to get ahead of myself.

Well done Hartley.

John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by John Markie » Saturday 06th 2018f January 2018 10:13:06 PM

Honestly, I did not see this one coming. After the opener against the run of play (what the fcuk was Muirhead doing???), I thought "here we go again", the heads will drop and we will get pumped. But fair play to each and every one of them, they knuckled down and got on with the job. The whole pressing game started from the front with Longridge, Nelson and Sibbs covering some amount of ground, and that gave us the base to keep ourselves in the game. Great attacking play by both full backs, Taiwo and Lewis Kidd started the upswing, and for once the three at the back kept their concentration and ALL THREE had decent games (never thought I would write that this season). But really this win was all down to teamwork intermingled with outstanding individual contributions. Nelson and Longridge never stopped running the whole game, Sibbs sitting just behind them is exactly where he needs to be played and he gave Flood no time to get Utd going, whilst pretty much bossing the game himself. Outstanding performances made all the more impressive having lost that early goal, we simply never gave up hope, stuck to the game plan and in the end could have had 9 or 10 goals had we had any luck at all with the woodwork. The first half sowed the seeds, and the second with Welsh replacing the injured (?) Taiwo just got better and better the longer it went on. By the time the majority of the utd fans had left, their team had long since given up hope of even getting another consolation goal. It was a very, very impressive performance by the team. Brilliant.

Ratings

Thomson 9/10. Helpless at the goal with the defence static. Maybe could be a bit more decisive with his handling of crosses, but totally sound today.

Tumilty 9/10. great going forward and still found time to defend. This is more what we expect of a guy of his ability. Good work on and off the ball and he was well up with play to get his tap in goal that was well justified.
Muirhead 7/10. Once again the weakest of the back three and guilty again of ball watching for their goal. He steadied himself after that and came more relaxed as the game progressed even making a few passes to his own team mates. Not a bad performance at all. Still the weak link.
Grant 8/10. Another goal and another commanding performance in the air. He still needs to work on his passing, both accuracy and speed of pass, but was excellent today.
McGhee 9/10. Class defender who popped up in their box a few times, stepped into midfield when needed and generally strolled the whole game. Should be captain.
Robson 10/10. What a player this wee guy is. At least two nutmegs on the wide midfielder he was up against, took the ball forward at every opportunity and his interpassing and movement are second to none. I hope young Gallacher was watching this, as thats what he needs to aspire to if he wants to make anything of himself in football. Fantastic.

Taiwo 8/10. Very good grafting and distribution. Kept the momentum up and did his bit to bring the other players around him into the game.
Kidd 9/10. Excellent both positionally, tracking back and as an attacking threat. His goal was superb and richly deserved at the end.
Sibbald 10/10. Another masterclass from Sibbs. Totally ran the show from start to finish. He was everywhere and did his best work in the final third and thats where we need him to be. Only thing missing was a goal to round off a brilliant performance. He just shaded Robson and Longridge for my MotM simply through his intelligence, guille and mastery of every aspect of his game.

Longridge 10/10. Another fabulous non-stop attacking and finishing performance from Louis. he was everywhere and their defence simply could not handle him. Pity he missed out on his hat trick with his shot in first half hitting the cross bar.
Nelson 8/10. Not as sharp as Longridge but very effective and once he has a few more games under his belt looks like becoming an excellent addition to the team. kept the ball well, won headers when he shouldn't and linked up terrifically with his partner up front.

Subs
Welsh 7/10. Looked like he still wasn't quite "match fit" but slotted into the defensive midfield role well. He looks like he lacks a bit of pace which is a worry.
Loy 4/10. Not up to the speed or intensity of the game.

And a 10/10 for the manager who has introduced a fast pressing game into the team and they have responded magnificently.

Just a wee word of warning before we all get too carried away. There are still frailties in this team, and there may be some more disappointing performances against teams with more heart than Utd showed today. I cannot believe they are 2nd in this league on that performance, but that was more down to us than them, to be fair.
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

Quidsin
Promising Young Manager
Promising Young Manager

Post by Quidsin » Saturday 06th 2018f January 2018 11:12:31 PM

What a difference a 6-1 makes! Longridge was immense today and we’ve found a gem in him, Robson and Nelson. Confidence was high and the players played as free as I’ve seen. No failures in the team. Longridge was hungry from the start and deserved his goals, Sibbs bossed midfield with ease, Robson showed guile, Nelson showed power and bravery, list goes on. Delighted Tumilty, Robson, Kidd and Grant scored; gives confidence through the team and proves our defenders can finish. Not seen an accomplished performance like that in a long time.
SAFE TERRACING FOR TFS EAST STAND.
"Falkirk Flyfishing, my name yes, it's Paul J Hartley"

kent brockman
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by kent brockman » Sunday 07th 2018f January 2018 10:38:07 AM

Fantastic performance from the team today. Lets hope that's the turning point in our season

The contrast between yesterday and our last game at Tannadice was unbelievable.
Its not the taking part that counts......its the WINNING.

Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Ricey » Sunday 07th 2018f January 2018 05:49:50 PM

I have been critical of late so it was nice to have my scepticism rammed down my throat with a brilliant performance yesterday. Some fine performances throughout the team and whilst I don’t expect us to play like that every week hopefully we can get some consistency in the coming weeks.the signs are now there that at home at least we are now scoring freely which is a big relief and if we can take some of that form into our away games then we will climb the table. What a feeling to enjoy your Saturday night for a change

Pete
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Pete » Sunday 07th 2018f January 2018 08:10:52 PM

What a performance from us yesterday, closing down, shots from outside and inside the box, good movement and dangerous crosses. I was entertained from start to finish, marvelous stuff.

Woke up absolutely buzzing and watched the highligjts, then had a look on twitter to be greeted with a picture of a neanderthal in a falkirk top which was the headline for a story written by gordon waddell. The story was fair enough but the picture was disgusting.

Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Ricey » Sunday 07th 2018f January 2018 08:23:20 PM

Yes Pete, Gordon I am never wrong Waddell should be given the cold shoulder by all fans. The picture was an affront to all falkirk fans and his failure to back down and apologise simply adds insult to injury

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Sunday 07th 2018f January 2018 09:17:47 PM

Agreed that the picture was awful. The article was ok but suggests that fans who don’t do anything are just as bad. Sorry but as much as I disagree with the incident I’m not going to go out my way to approach the group that done it. It’s not worth my time to do it. Fair enough if it was one guy sitting beside me.

Anyway what’s been done is done. The idiots have brought the club down and we’ve been heavily criticised in the media because of it. I hope that’s enough to stop them doing anything like that in the future. Time to move on though.

Falkirkbairn90
Reserve sub
Reserve sub

Post by Falkirkbairn90 » Sunday 07th 2018f January 2018 10:11:43 PM

Ricey wrote:
Sunday 07th 2018f January 2018 08:23:20 PM
Yes Pete, Gordon I am never wrong Waddell should be given the cold shoulder by all fans. The picture was an affront to all falkirk fans and his failure to back down and apologise simply adds insult to injury
Disagree completely. The guy is 100% correct in everything he’s saying and he does not tar all falkirk fans with the same brush. In fact he refers to “silent majority” and thousands of decent people supporting the club. I applaud his article minus the picture but it’s simply a metaphor for the minority living in the dark ages, nothing more. As Dade says, it’s done now. The club and fans should move on and hope that incredible performance yesterday transforms our season

Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Ricey » Sunday 07th 2018f January 2018 10:48:16 PM

How can you disagree completely? I only commented on the picture which was an affront to all bairns.

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Monday 08th 2018f January 2018 12:37:18 AM

Falkirkbairn90 wrote:
Sunday 07th 2018f January 2018 10:11:43 PM

Disagree completely. The guy is 100% correct in everything he’s saying and he does not tar all falkirk fans with the same brush. In fact he refers to “silent majority” and thousands of decent people supporting the club. I applaud his article minus the picture but it’s simply a metaphor for the minority living in the dark ages, nothing more. As Dade says, it’s done now. The club and fans should move on and hope that incredible performance yesterday transforms our season
No! he mentions a particular stereotype of stone island wearing trouble maker but it is put alongside a picture of evolution of man with the ape like creature 2 steps away a human in a Falkirk top. A Falkirk Top! Let that sink in! Not wearing a Stone Island jacket or a Burberry hat or whatever perceived trouble makers wear these days.

As I mentioned on Twitter and whilst Waddell has been tweet battling people all day, he never responded to me and my point. Our colours and badge are a big part of the club, the youngest to the oldest of us wear our colours and badge to support our club, the club we all love - it represents all of us. We are ALL shown to be sub human in that picture. It is a complete and utter disgrace.

Hope Mr Waddell doesn’t get ill and have to be treated by a sub human Falkirk Supporting Doctor or Nurse, or need assistance from Falkirk Supporting sub humans in the Police and Fire service.

Perhaps Mr Waddell should walk down Falkirk high street, most of the people who resemble the Neanderthals are wearing Old Firm tops but he hasn’t the minerals to go after them.
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

Brian Scrimegour
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Brian Scrimegour » Monday 08th 2018f January 2018 11:06:33 AM

He seems to think that for some reason all us law abiding fans should be doing the job the Dunfermline stewards failed miserably to do. I'm sorry but whilst I disagree with what these cretins were doing its not our job to confront them . If the stewards and police had moved in to stop this as soon as it started then it would've been nipped in the bud and the offenders could've been removed from the stadium. However, they chose to stand and do nothing as these eyeballs were repeatedly thrown on the park. As has been said the image used as an utter disgrace and would've been bad enough if it had been used by some old firm supporting hack. The fact that its been used by a Falkirk fan is all the more galling.