v Dundee Utd

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

v Dundee Utd

Post by John Markie » Thursday 04th 2018f January 2018 12:51:13 AM

I wonder what master plan Hartley has for this game? I am guessing that captain reliable will be in the team, so we can expect to lose at least one goal. I am also guessing that Mutch will be dropped after his shambolic performance v the pars. Not sure if we are expecting any new arrivals before this one, but I'd hope that we at least compete in this one.

I'd go for something along these lines

-----------------------------Thomson----------------------------
-------------J Mitchell----Grant----McGhee------------------
Tumilty------McKee------Taiwo------Sibbald------Robson
---------------------Longridge-----Nelson---------------------

Subs from
Welsh
Peggie
Dunne
O'Hara
Loy
Kidd
Miller
Mutch
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

kent brockman
First Team regular
First Team regular

Re: v Dundee Utd

Post by kent brockman » Thursday 04th 2018f January 2018 08:20:52 AM

We are halfway through the season and have taken just 14 points from 18 matches.

We will need a big improvement in the second half of the season if we are to avoid the play-offs.
Its not the taking part that counts......its the WINNING.

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Thursday 04th 2018f January 2018 09:08:41 AM

We aren't avoiding the play-offs.
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

Brian Scrimegour
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Brian Scrimegour » Thursday 04th 2018f January 2018 10:18:13 AM

I'd keep welsh in as theres no point starting him for one game. The guy is a player and just needs more game time to get up to speed. Add to that that Mckee has been pish all season. Has Longridge extended his loan deal yet?

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Thursday 04th 2018f January 2018 12:44:38 PM

Olaf Thom wrote:
Thursday 04th 2018f January 2018 09:08:41 AM
We aren't avoiding the play-offs.
Sadly, I agree.

Flash
Under 18 superstar
Under 18 superstar

Post by Flash » Thursday 04th 2018f January 2018 06:06:42 PM

What we should be aiming for now is to assemble a team capable of beating Raith Rovers or Ayr United over 2 legs in the Play off

Ranaldo Bairn
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Ranaldo Bairn » Thursday 04th 2018f January 2018 07:49:44 PM

Plus whoever finishes 4th. Alloa/East Fife/Arbroath/Airdrie most likely.
"You, who have destroyed so much - can you name even one thing you have created? I thought not. There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue Physicist."

Sir Jones
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Sir Jones » Thursday 04th 2018f January 2018 08:22:15 PM

If we end up in the playoffs then we're going down. No danger we'll beat Ayr or Raith in that sort of tie.
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Thursday 04th 2018f January 2018 09:03:08 PM

Got to disagree. While I see little chance of us avoiding the play offs, Hartley has the time needed to build a side mentally and physically capable of grunting it’s way through a two legged tie.
When things are bad, it’s very easy to paint everything as black. It’s certainly pretty grim, but this isn’t Chicken Licken, and the sky isn’t falling down just yet.

Hartley was never going to fix this mess easily. It has nothing to do with getting the best out of the players he inherited. It was crystal clear that many were nowhere near good enough, and couldn’t be man managed into something better.
We need root and branch treatment, and maybe that’s possible in three or four months, and maybe it’s not.
Given who we are and where we are, Hartley was always going to be as good as we were going to get. Remember the much vaunted AS “2 in a row”was Brechin and a cup game.....it wasn’t two league games, and that’s what matters.

Ranaldo Bairn
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Ranaldo Bairn » Friday 05th 2018f January 2018 12:50:13 PM

Duncan Freemason wrote:
Thursday 04th 2018f January 2018 09:03:08 PM
Got to disagree. While I see little chance of us avoiding the play offs, Hartley has the time needed to build a side mentally and physically capable of grunting it’s way through a two legged tie.
When things are bad, it’s very easy to paint everything as black. It’s certainly pretty grim, but this isn’t Chicken Licken, and the sky isn’t falling down just yet.

Hartley was never going to fix this mess easily. It has nothing to do with getting the best out of the players he inherited. It was crystal clear that many were nowhere near good enough, and couldn’t be man managed into something better.
We need root and branch treatment, and maybe that’s possible in three or four months, and maybe it’s not.
Given who we are and where we are, Hartley was always going to be as good as we were going to get. Remember the much vaunted AS “2 in a row”was Brechin and a cup game.....it wasn’t two league games, and that’s what matters.
You mean Morton (A) in the league, and Dunfermline in the cup? Not bad, to be honest.
"You, who have destroyed so much - can you name even one thing you have created? I thought not. There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue Physicist."

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Friday 05th 2018f January 2018 01:01:09 PM

I think Smith was privy to what was going on behind the scenes and apparently told a few truths the first time he entered the dressing room. He definitely got a response but I’m not convinced it would have lasted.

I have genuinely no idea what has went on but I’d certainly put the majority of the blame on the players and not Hartley. Would be happy to get shot of the lot of them if they’re not pulling their weight.

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Friday 05th 2018f January 2018 05:34:51 PM

Ranaldo Bairn wrote:
Friday 05th 2018f January 2018 12:50:13 PM
Duncan Freemason wrote:
Thursday 04th 2018f January 2018 09:03:08 PM

You mean Morton (A) in the league, and Dunfermline in the cup? Not bad, to be honest.
I stand corrected. However, it wasn’t two league games, and there’s all sorts of context around the Dunfermline game that is missing. They fielded nothing like a full strength side, and Cup results are seldom a touchstone of a club’s true state of health. It could be argued that Smith got a bit of dead cat bounce, but the playing side was so broken, that once the Hawthorne effect wore off, things would have returned to normal.
As has been said before, Hartley has inherited a poisoned chalice here, and what he inherited wasn’t a bunch of players unwilling to play for Houston. As a group, they couldn’t consistently do better for anyone...not even one another. Now, it might be that three or four changes are needed, it might be seven or eight.
Whatever it turns out to be, Hartley has precious little time to sort it out. It might take a couple of years to get it right. The only thing that’s for sure is that there’s literally hundreds of people who think they know how it should be fixed, and no two of those opinions are the same, so it’s pretty much a certainty that most of us are wrong.
On that basis,the last thing Hartley needs at this stage is people now reckoning he should be sacked. The guy deserves the time and space to do what he can to turn things around.....and hey, that might just involve us being in the play offs and surviving, or being in the play offs and getting relegated.
Whatever way it turns out, the club gets what it deserves. It’s part of football’s rich tapestry. If we really feel the need to be angry, then let’s be angry at the right people, and right now, Hartley isn’t the one deserving that anger.

dixie chicken
International Sub
International Sub

Post by dixie chicken » Friday 05th 2018f January 2018 05:54:34 PM

Totally agree with the ‘handshake man’
Best post on here for a while.

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Friday 05th 2018f January 2018 06:03:17 PM

Agreed DF. The rot at our club set in way before Hartley appeared. He’s been left trying to induce life in to a dead duck and needs more time to sort it out.

Pete
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Pete » Friday 05th 2018f January 2018 06:03:38 PM

Will it be ok to call the folicly challenged willo flood a baldy b@stard tomorrow?

Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Ricey » Friday 05th 2018f January 2018 07:07:27 PM

Whilst I agree we all see different solutions what doesn’t help Hartley are the obvious things he gets wrong. Is there anybody on this forum that thinks Alex Harris should have been brought off the bench on Tuesday? Anybody? This guy has had plenty of chances and has shown time after time to be an utter liability. It’s decisions like this that are working against Hartley not the results in my view.

Ranaldo Bairn
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Ranaldo Bairn » Friday 05th 2018f January 2018 07:40:29 PM

Yes, well said Dunc.

Falkirkbairn90
Reserve sub
Reserve sub

Post by Falkirkbairn90 » Friday 05th 2018f January 2018 08:20:36 PM

:clap: :clap: :clap: well said that man DF. Couldn’t agree more with what you’re saying mate. Hartley has a steep hill to climb in a short space of time. Let’s hope he succeeds and the fans get right behind him, god knows he needs it.

Bainsfordbairn2
Under 18 sub
Under 18 sub

Post by Bainsfordbairn2 » Friday 05th 2018f January 2018 09:20:05 PM

Ricey wrote:
Friday 05th 2018f January 2018 07:07:27 PM
Whilst I agree we all see different solutions what doesn’t help Hartley are the obvious things he gets wrong. Is there anybody on this forum that thinks Alex Harris should have been brought off the bench on Tuesday? Anybody?
We were 2-0 down at the time so I agreed with the decision to take off a defender and bring on an attacker. I get what you're saying, but with Loy coming on anyway the only attacker on the bench was Craigen.

Personally I would have brought on the latter, but tbh I don't think there's a great deal between them. So under the circumstances I can understand why Harris came on.

Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Ricey » Saturday 06th 2018f January 2018 01:17:26 AM

For me Harris would never again play for the club. I would rather he played Dunne who at least has a bit of heart.