No more academy?

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team
Posts: 461
Joined: Thursday 05th 2004f August 2004 10:48:03 AM
Location: Bainsford

Re: No more academy?

Post by Ricey » Saturday 03rd 2018f February 2018 06:02:29 PM

You didn’t answer my question Olaf what’s the risk you talked about with a free academy?

37 goals from Blair Alston springs to mind. That’s set alongside us producing many excellent defensive minded players something you are doing your best to ignore

We had The best under 14 side in Scotland and a lot of players showing promise. We had a player breaking through who played for Brighton’s development side today.

We did have a slowing down in my view but that was now ending. The reason for the slow down was Kenny Shiels disastrous appointment our board which led to many good players and coaches leaving.

I am not convinced by many of Hartleys signings and these are with our new chief scout on board. Seemed a no brainer to me to keep both avenues open

User avatar
Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub
Posts: 4650
Joined: Tuesday 20th 2004f January 2004 06:30:59 PM

Re: No more academy?

Post by Olaf Thom » Saturday 03rd 2018f February 2018 07:40:00 PM

Ricey wrote:
Saturday 03rd 2018f February 2018 06:02:29 PM
You didn’t answer my question Olaf what’s the risk you talked about with a free academy?

37 goals from Blair Alston springs to mind. That’s set alongside us producing many excellent defensive minded players something you are doing your best to ignore

We had The best under 14 side in Scotland and a lot of players showing promise. We had a player breaking through who played for Brighton’s development side today.

We did have a slowing down in my view but that was now ending. The reason for the slow down was Kenny Shiels disastrous appointment our board which led to many good players and coaches leaving.

I am not convinced by many of Hartleys signings and these are with our new chief scout on board. Seemed a no brainer to me to keep both avenues open
Blair Alston made his debut in 2010. Sibbald was 2011 - Who from the Academy in the last 5 years has scored for us?

It’s a risk because it’s not free, we are on the hook for it. Why aren’t Stenhouemuir and East Stirling funding this if it’s so profitable?

If it’s such a good business why don’t the people who say they’ll back the Academy and coaches so confident in their ability form a new company and set up Forth Valley Academy Ltd and sell players to the highest bidder?
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team
Posts: 461
Joined: Thursday 05th 2004f August 2004 10:48:03 AM
Location: Bainsford

Re: No more academy?

Post by Ricey » Sunday 04th 2018f February 2018 10:35:58 AM

Olaf do you ever read what anybody else types? After the club announced it was removing its funding a group of local businessmen , sponsors etc got together and had funding in place to guarantee its survival for 3 years at no cost to Falkirk Fc.

The academy could however only go ahead if Falkirk sanctioned it there in giving it continued access to the sfa funding. So we were not on the hook for it as you put it. This was a FREE academy and it was knocked back by an angry Lang because there would be no pathway for the players who came out of it ( no reserve team)

So please stop any nonsense about it costing us money as that is totally wrong.

On your point on goals why is that important? If the academy had produced 10 Paulo maldinis and we sold each for £50 million would it be a failure?

User avatar
grumpyoldman
Under 21 International
Under 21 International
Posts: 2066
Joined: Wednesday 04th 2006f January 2006 11:02:14 PM

Re: No more academy?

Post by grumpyoldman » Sunday 04th 2018f February 2018 12:07:52 PM

Ricey wrote:
Sunday 04th 2018f February 2018 10:35:58 AM
Olaf do you ever read what anybody else types? After the club announced it was removing its funding a group of local businessmen , sponsors etc got together and had funding in place to guarantee its survival for 3 years at no cost to Falkirk Fc.

The academy could however only go ahead if Falkirk sanctioned it there in giving it continued access to the sfa funding. So we were not on the hook for it as you put it. This was a FREE academy and it was knocked back by an angry Lang because there would be no pathway for the players who came out of it ( no reserve team)

So please stop any nonsense about it costing us money as that is totally wrong.

On your point on goals why is that important? If the academy had produced 10 Paulo maldinis and we sold each for £50 million would it be a failure?
If there was no pathway for players what was the point of the academy

User avatar
NUMBER 7
First Team sub
First Team sub
Posts: 970
Joined: Saturday 22nd 2004f May 2004 09:19:39 AM
Location: Falkirk

Re: No more academy?

Post by NUMBER 7 » Sunday 04th 2018f February 2018 12:16:21 PM

Been following this post, and will admit I'm no expert on the Acadamy set up. It looks like the club have looked at things and taken the view there is nothing coming through that will be sellable in the next 4/5 years, so why fire money at this. The point made about sponsors / investors going to bank roll the Acadamy for 3 years, all seems quite plausible, but what did they want in return ? They are business people, they do nothing for nothing. This in effect this would be a return to a " Soft Loans" situation or a Superfan funding the South Stand and now being a millstone around our necks. We need to get away from being dependant on these " investors". If we can't afford it within our own means, and there was nothing coming through for 4/5 years get rid of it. I've read about the under 14's were supposedly a good team, I never heard anyone say go see this or that kid that plays for Falkirk under 14's he looks a world beater.

Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team
Posts: 461
Joined: Thursday 05th 2004f August 2004 10:48:03 AM
Location: Bainsford

Re: No more academy?

Post by Ricey » Sunday 04th 2018f February 2018 04:00:37 PM

Just to repeat there were no soft loans, no strings attached. Many of those wishing to invest were people who believed in the club having local roots and I know some sponsors are unhappy that we have ditched the academy

As for the point on the u14s. I assume then you went to see sibbs, Kingsley and Arfield when they were coming through? Believe me Campbell and Lang would have no idea what was coming through at the academy and in my opinion there was a lot to be excited about

User avatar
grumpyoldman
Under 21 International
Under 21 International
Posts: 2066
Joined: Wednesday 04th 2006f January 2006 11:02:14 PM

Re: No more academy?

Post by grumpyoldman » Sunday 04th 2018f February 2018 04:25:08 PM

Ricey wrote:
Sunday 04th 2018f February 2018 04:00:37 PM
Just to repeat there were no soft loans, no strings attached. Many of those wishing to invest were people who believed in the club having local roots and I know some sponsors are unhappy that we have ditched the academy

As for the point on the u14s. I assume then you went to see sibbs, Kingsley and Arfield when they were coming through? Believe me Campbell and Lang would have no idea what was coming through at the academy and in my opinion there was a lot to be excited about
Who was going to pick up the tab for running the reserve team, therefore creating the pathway to Falkirk first team.
Was that included in the funding from investors and sponsors

User avatar
Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub
Posts: 4650
Joined: Tuesday 20th 2004f January 2004 06:30:59 PM

Re: No more academy?

Post by Olaf Thom » Sunday 04th 2018f February 2018 04:37:02 PM

Ricey wrote:
Sunday 04th 2018f February 2018 10:35:58 AM


On your point on goals why is that important? If the academy had produced 10 Paulo maldinis and we sold each for £50 million would it be a failure?
YES!

It matters that the academy only produces neat and tidy player clones. Where are the players with skill? the ability to beat a man? Score goals? Why not even an absolute thug of a hard man?

Nope! all we get are well coached clones, that is fodder for the academy system and development leagues, Hey! we might get a good one, that an English academy might want.

Our Academy Probably got rid of Leigh Griffiths because he beat 5 men and hit the post rather than pass a square ball to the left full back.

We can get the type of players we produce 10 a penny down in England, with the added bonus of being bigger and stronger too!
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team
Posts: 461
Joined: Thursday 05th 2004f August 2004 10:48:03 AM
Location: Bainsford

Re: No more academy?

Post by Ricey » Sunday 04th 2018f February 2018 05:13:21 PM

🤣🤣🤣🤣 thanks for making me laugh Olaf

kent brockman
First Team regular
First Team regular
Posts: 1306
Joined: Saturday 12th 2005f November 2005 09:21:04 AM

Re: No more academy?

Post by kent brockman » Wednesday 07th 2018f February 2018 04:54:26 PM

havenbairn wrote:
Saturday 03rd 2018f February 2018 12:47:32 PM
AL_bairn wrote:
Saturday 03rd 2018f February 2018 11:33:28 AM
It's probably been posted but I like the article below about us closing the academy. There will be a lot of hidden costs running an academy that we don't know about. If we pick up some gems released by other academies to play in the first team like Robson then we will be stronger on the park for it.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/foo ... m-11729108
That article was written on 21st December by a guy who knows nothing about the running of our Academy.

If you want the facts read Jamie Swinney`s excellent article in the Falkirk Herald this week.
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/alternat ... nney-jamie
Its not the taking part that counts......its the WINNING.

User avatar
Brian Scrimegour
International Regular
International Regular
Posts: 5500
Joined: Monday 16th 2004f February 2004 12:59:25 PM

Re: No more academy?

Post by Brian Scrimegour » Wednesday 07th 2018f February 2018 06:01:05 PM

No reason why we couldn't have signed the cream from the academy and put them out on loan to other clubs instead of paying for a reserve side.

User avatar
Kiddy
International Manager
International Manager
Posts: 20371
Joined: Wednesday 03rd 2004f March 2004 01:03:19 AM
Location: Bellsdyke

Re: No more academy?

Post by Kiddy » Monday 13th 2018f August 2018 01:18:37 PM

I see Livi have followed our lead & ditched their academy, citing lack of Project Brave funding, which dumped them into the bottom tier.
Taken a wee while but I pretty much expected others would follow suit.
No financial regulation, no corporate governance, no enlarged divisions, no summer football, no single ruling body, no new cash, no integrity. Behold the 'bright new dawn' for Scottish football,

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests