No more academy?

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
Romaines of the Day
Reserve sub
Reserve sub

No more academy?

Post by Romaines of the Day » Wednesday 20th 2017f December 2017 10:55:50 AM

From the Football Gossip section of the BBC:

Falkirk will take the radical step of axing their renowned youth academy in a huge overhaul aimed at getting back to Scotland's top flight after eight seasons in the Championship. (Daily Record)

Falkirk are to follow the Brentford blueprint of picking up the best young players released by clubs in Scotland and England as they look to cut the costs of running the Forth Valley Youth Academy they share with Stenhousemuir and East Stirlingshire. (Scottish Sun)

Any truth in this? I'm guessing this is one way we'll free up funds for survival

Romaines of the Day
Reserve sub
Reserve sub

Re: No more academy?

Post by Romaines of the Day » Wednesday 20th 2017f December 2017 11:00:52 AM

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Wednesday 20th 2017f December 2017 11:50:58 AM

I actually agree with this.

The first team should be our priority and I very much doubt that we’ve ever received a profit from all the money we’ve paid to run the academy over the years to what we’ve gained from player sales/team success.

Let’s face it the most promising youth were never likely to come to Falkirk and with project Brave and its elite academies around the corner this is likely to get worse. Let other teams spend millions developing players they can ill afford to put in to their first team and we can pick off those with something to prove like a Daryl Duffy or Murray Wallace.

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Wednesday 20th 2017f December 2017 01:32:00 PM

More English, More foreigners, less Scots and idiot Pep Wannabe coaches.

RESULT!
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Ricey » Wednesday 20th 2017f December 2017 01:35:35 PM

I think the figure quoted was £100k a year which if true means we have made a big profit in the last 10 years but not sure if the cost is correct. My read is that we will also get rid of the reserves and simply play the odd friendly which will mean having no young players other than those who go straight into the first team squad.

Had we not had the academy after the Setanta/next level debacle we would have went through administration that's pretty clear so if we get relegated this season what would we then do? I am not absolutely against this but what seems strange is that Alloa and Stirling Albion and Montrose etc etc can all fund an academy so why cant we? Is it not just a case of reducing the expenditure as these clubs do?

Where I am angry and disappointed in the club is in how this has been handled. For employees, players and parents to be told via the daily record a few days prior to Xmas is utterly shameful. If this is a strategic thought out policy then all well and good surely a meeting could have been held and those involved told a few weeks prior to Xmas. There have been boys with the club for 7 years who have worked hard and to be treated in this way is systematic of the board of directors we now have in place.

The club reserves the right to spend its money as it wishes but they have a duty of care to these kids and those they employ to handle things in the correct manner. Having ruined 100 kids and a few adults Xmas I hope they are happy with themselves. What goes around comes around

Honest Al
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Honest Al » Wednesday 20th 2017f December 2017 01:38:20 PM

Dade wrote:
Wednesday 20th 2017f December 2017 11:50:58 AM

Let’s face it the most promising youth were never likely to come to Falkirk and with project Brave and its elite academies around the corner this is likely to get worse. Let other teams spend millions developing players they can ill afford to put in to their first team and we can pick off those with something to prove like a Daryl Duffy or Murray Wallace.
Or, indeed, a Luke Leahy, Will Vaulks, Peter Grant or Lyle Taylor.

I agree 100% with this move too. Youth academy throughput to first team regular has dwindled to a trickle since the merger with Forth Valley, god knows what it'd be like in the (Project) Brave New World.
Madness is repeating the same methods time and time again, and expecting a different result.
Well done to BoD (did I really write that?) for reviewing the Brentford method, and using this as a basis for Falkirk. With the 6 mentioned above, we've seen this work almost without a policy in place, so something to cheer about at Xmas at last.................

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Wednesday 20th 2017f December 2017 02:06:26 PM

Honest Al wrote:
Wednesday 20th 2017f December 2017 01:38:20 PM
Dade wrote:
Wednesday 20th 2017f December 2017 11:50:58 AM

Or, indeed, a Luke Leahy, Will Vaulks or Lyle Taylor.

I agree 100% with this move too. Youth academy throughput has dwindled to a trickle since the merger with Forth Valley, god knows what it'd be like in the (Project) Brave New World.
Madness is repeating the same time and time again and expecting a different result.
Well done to BoD (did I really write that?) for reviewing the Brentford method, and using this as a basis for Falkirk. With the 5 mentioned above, we've seen this work almost without a policy in place, so something to cheer about at Xmas at last.................
Yeh Peter Grant and Mark Miller are 2 others and I’m sure Lee Miller and Mark Kerr broke through prior to us running an academy although admittedly that might be different to what’s being proposed. Point is that there’ll be plenty of good young players who will be dropped by academies that will go on to be great players. You only have to look at the likes of Andy Robertson, Jason Cummings, Kane Hemings, Lewis Morgan, Aiden Nesbit, Denny Johnstone, Jai Quitongo of recent years.

Yes there will be plenty of examples to the contrary- Jason Marr etc however I’d say that for every Connor McGrandles there are more players who didn’t make it and probably didn’t get anywhere near first team level like Tyler Fulton. Something about being dropped by an academy seems to make me think that the success rate is better with these players than some of the over pampered youngsters that come through our own ranks. Being cast out an academy is a pretty big kick up the arse for a youngster and leaves only a couple of options available- give up or knuckle down and work hard to get your career back on track. It’s certainly a good way of taming an ego anyway.

Also even for our successes, we’ve had to endure a lot of time for them to find their feet at first team level(Kingsley for example) and then being sold when they eventually start realising their potential. Ex academy graduates seem to be a bit more ready made and able to hit the ground running rather than waiting for the likes of Gallagher to start hitting regular 7/8 performances.

The biggest loss, I think will be for the teams that pick up our cast offs, the way we intend to do with the academies above us. So long as the bigger clubs keep churning out youth teams then I think we’ll be ok.

Rosco
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Rosco » Wednesday 20th 2017f December 2017 02:29:46 PM

would be really interested to the see the club's accounts. is there a thread on this anywhere?

cheers,

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Wednesday 20th 2017f December 2017 05:08:17 PM

Accounts were given to shareholders, they aren't detailed.
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

Kiddy
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Kiddy » Wednesday 20th 2017f December 2017 06:26:31 PM

http://www.youthfootballscotland.co.uk/ ... ement.html
Well done Malky, you've landed your bosses with the cost of running the Forth Valley setup.
More like Project Bravo! :clap:
No financial regulation, no corporate governance, no enlarged divisions, no summer football, no single ruling body, no new cash, no integrity. Behold the 'bright new dawn' for Scottish football,

havenbairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by havenbairn » Wednesday 20th 2017f December 2017 06:41:11 PM

Whether you agree with the decision to close the academy or not, the way it has been communicated is appalling.

For staff, coaches and young players to learn of the academy closure via the media is simply not acceptable.

Sir Jones
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Sir Jones » Wednesday 20th 2017f December 2017 08:04:50 PM

The more I'm thinking about this the more the alarm bells are ringing.

While I agree with the move (and disgusted with the timing/handling), I'm starting to get a really strong sense of dread in the pit of my stomach that we're on the slide towards something catastrophic.
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.

Kiddy
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Kiddy » Wednesday 20th 2017f December 2017 08:39:41 PM

CMIIW But they haven't mentioned the community programme, take it it's still there & is self financing?
No financial regulation, no corporate governance, no enlarged divisions, no summer football, no single ruling body, no new cash, no integrity. Behold the 'bright new dawn' for Scottish football,

Falkirkbairn90
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Falkirkbairn90 » Wednesday 20th 2017f December 2017 10:07:58 PM

havenbairn wrote:
Wednesday 20th 2017f December 2017 06:41:11 PM
Whether you agree with the decision to close the academy or not, the way it has been communicated is appalling.

For staff, coaches and young players to learn of the academy closure via the media is simply not acceptable.
Has it occurred to you that all staff and players would’ve been told prior to this. Usually the affected persons at least get a heads up and I doubt this has been any different...

Habib Utak Al Hansi
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Habib Utak Al Hansi » Wednesday 20th 2017f December 2017 10:13:41 PM

Falkirkbairn90 wrote:
Wednesday 20th 2017f December 2017 10:07:58 PM
havenbairn wrote:

Has it occurred to you that all staff and players would’ve been told prior to this. Usually the affected persons at least get a heads up and I doubt this has been any different...
Ok then, so all these parents and coaches who claim otherwise, that they heard about it through the national media or a statement on a club website, are lying?
PEP SHITTY SHOES - GTF

Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Ricey » Wednesday 20th 2017f December 2017 11:10:15 PM

Definitely nobody involved within the academy was told anything and in fact players and parents still don’t know anything other than what’s in public domain. The story was clearly leaked by our esteemed chief exec to his buddy Gordon Waddle and the rest is history. Club needs to do what it thinks is right to progress, I may disagree but without the accurate numbers I could be wrong. But as stated previously it costs us nothing to act with respect and empathy to those supposedly in the falkirk family. On the back of brexit Doug it’s another example of how out of touch the chairwoman and chief exec are. They are the problem not the academy. We should be calling time on the stadium deal now that would save us money

Sir Jones
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Sir Jones » Wednesday 20th 2017f December 2017 11:10:44 PM

Falkirkbairn90 wrote:
havenbairn wrote:

To be blunt - it clearly has been handled poorly. There are people (parents/staff) very vocal in how this was a complete shock to them.
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.

Back Post Misses
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Back Post Misses » Thursday 21st 2017f December 2017 06:52:55 AM

Sir Jones wrote:
Wednesday 20th 2017f December 2017 08:04:50 PM
The more I'm thinking about this the more the alarm bells are ringing.

While I agree with the move (and disgusted with the timing/handling), I'm starting to get a really strong sense of dread in the pit of my stomach that we're on the slide towards something catastrophic.
Exactly where I am.

Back Post Misses
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Back Post Misses » Thursday 21st 2017f December 2017 06:56:12 AM

Ricey wrote:
Wednesday 20th 2017f December 2017 11:10:15 PM
Definitely nobody involved within the academy was told anything and in fact players and parents still don’t know anything other than what’s in public domain. The story was clearly leaked by our esteemed chief exec to his buddy Gordon Waddle and the rest is history. Club needs to do what it thinks is right to progress, I may disagree but without the accurate numbers I could be wrong. But as stated previously it costs us nothing to act with respect and empathy to those supposedly in the falkirk family. On the back of brexit Doug it’s another example of how out of touch the chairwoman and chief exec are. They are the problem not the academy. We should be calling time on the stadium deal now that would save us money
Gordon Waddell was telling people on Saturday about this happening. Clearly he had been briefed. Whether he was asked to put this out or took a flyer only he and the Board can tell.

Falkirkbairn90
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Falkirkbairn90 » Thursday 21st 2017f December 2017 08:03:10 AM

Habib Utak Al Hansi wrote:
Wednesday 20th 2017f December 2017 10:13:41 PM
Falkirkbairn90 wrote:
havenbairn wrote:

Ok then, so all these parents and coaches who claim otherwise, that they heard about it through the national media or a statement on a club website, are lying?

Fair enough. Seems as though people have enough contacts to know no one was given the courtesy of a heads up. I’m disappointed that falkirk have done that. Action was clearly required and this move is drastic. I’m sure it wasn’t a decision taken lightly.

I presume these young lads will move to Stenhousemuir if they want to bear the weight of this and revert back to previous set up. I’m sure Stirling Albion & Alloa will be looking to pick most of these boys up given Forthvalley were in a higher club academy league than them. Chance for them to improve and maybe become a part of project brave.