u20's v St Johnstone

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

u20's v St Johnstone

Post by John Markie » Tuesday 05th 2017f December 2017 05:27:41 PM

Waited a bit before posting this as I was more than a little disappointed with the performance last night. I don't want to be too hard on the youngsters, but unfortunately some of them are either not good enough, or not old enough to play in this level of game. Not one Falkirk player was able to cope with the physical presence of some of the St Johnstone players, and in reality we were fortunate we didn't lose by more than the 2-0 scoreline suggests in a game we only showed up for in the second half. Before I get into the nitty-gritty of how the players performed, just a wee line or two on the referee. Once again we had an official who was consistently inconsistent in his decisions. First half and Ceiran Dunne breaks through past last defender, and is rugby tackled to the ground. Result, a free kick and an almost apologetic yellow card to the St Johnstone defender. It was as clear cut a red card as you are likely to see at any level. Second half and Dunne scythes down an opponent in a stupid mistimed high footed tackle. Immediate red card. Both were red cards, yet only we suffered the consequences. Its this level of ineptitude that riles fans, managers and players and needs to be stamped out. Referees are there to be impartial and apply the the laws fairly to BOTH teams. Anyway, yet another waster of a ref who did his best to ruin an already depressing night.

The game. First half we were as bad as I have seen this season. Neither full back looked capable of handling their opponent and the big centre forward who came deep and ran at the defence simply ran amok with no-one able or even wanting to get close enough to tackle him, even had they tried. In fact it was a deflected goal from just outside the box that separated the teams at HT, but don't think it was a close game even though we (and they) had both hit woodwork in the first half. It was one way traffic with our 4-4-2 set up just not working. Terrible performances abounded in that first half, with only the two centre backs Jonny Mitchell and Harry Girdwood getting even close to pass marks.

Second half much better, with McBride replacing the out of position Stowe up front and us switching to 3-5-2. We were now able to match them for numbers (if not quality) in midfield and we began to actually have some possession and we even managed periods of pressure without ever really looking like scoring. The second goal came courtesy of another poor decision by the ref. Jonny Mitchell now playing in midfield, beats a defender inside the opposition box and is blatantly tripped (clear penalty). Ref waves play on and ball eventually comes forward where Peggie and the frankly awful Kyle Mitchell are covering the sole one man up. Break away succeeds, ball slipped into supporting forward who taps in to make it 2-0. Game over, and about 10 minutes later Dunne gets sent off and I leave having seen enough.

We have some really young boys here and more than a few are simply not able for this level. Some who have played for a few seasons are simply not good enough and they will leave at the end of the season I am sure.

Ratings

Young 7/10. Did really well in shot stopping and one-on-ones. Has the usual FFC flaw of being pretty awful at distribution and kicking, but he looks a decent enough prospect. Had no chance with either goal.

Finlayson 3/10. I am being generous here and basing his score on his second half display. He was rank rotten throughout really. He is a big fast powerful lad who looks like he could be a real assest. However, he might be 6'2" but he jumps like a 5' 0" girl. He doesn't tackle, doesn't show any bravery and takes zero responsibility. He won't make it unless he decides to man up and realise its a physical sport and begins to make tackles and use his physique.
Girdwood 7/10. Obviously being talked through positionally by Jonny Mitchell and both Miller and Smith on touchlines. He is developing into what might become a useful central defender. Did his best against quite useful opposition.
J Mitchell 9/10. MotM. Outstanding player. Barely put a foot wrong all night and looked class when moved into midfield second half.
K Mitchell 2/10. Oh dear. Simply not up to this level of football. Terrible mistakes for second goal and roasted all night by opposition. Had we any defenders on the bench he'd have been pulled after 10 minutes as he wasn't up to it.

Langton 6/10. Spent almost the entire night helping out defence and central midfielders. Did what he could in an attacking sense, and when played at right wing back in second half, looked a better option than the likes of Muirhead in first team.
Jarvis 3/10. Too lightweight to pplay in central midfield. No strength, passing poor can't tackle. Pointless playing in engine room.
Peggie 5/10. Spent entire 75 mins I saw fire fighting as only help he had was J Mitchell in second half. Plenty effort but maybe could do better when captaining side by being more vocal.
Dunne 3/10. Pretty awful and showed nothing that would make you ever consider playing him in first 11. Just terrible all night.

Loy 4/10. Tried hard, but zero support from those around him. Slow and tries to do too much when he did have the ball. Poor.
Stowe 2/10. You'd be hard pushed to think of him doing anything at all in first 45 mins. Terrible.
(McBride) 4/10. So lightweight he couldn't hold onto the ball at all. Gave it everything but lacks acceleration needed even at this level.

We are just too small, too weak, too slow, too ineffective to be able to compete against all but the smallest and youngest opposition. Awful night.
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

dixie chicken
International Sub
International Sub

Re: u20's v St Johnstone

Post by dixie chicken » Tuesday 05th 2017f December 2017 05:54:20 PM

Thanks JM.
Thought we might have played one or two of those coming back from injury?
Even Lewis Kidd or are his days over?

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Tuesday 05th 2017f December 2017 08:08:20 PM

dixie chicken wrote:
Tuesday 05th 2017f December 2017 05:54:20 PM
Thanks JM.
Thought we might have played one or two of those coming back from injury?
Even Lewis Kidd or are his days over?
Maybe saving him for Saturday!

Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Ricey » Wednesday 06th 2017f December 2017 12:02:05 AM

It’s always difficult at this level given the mix of players that can be on show. Kyle Mitchell and McBride are both only u17s and have played at that level as well on occasion this season. Celtic appear to be interested in McBride and have been watching him for a good while this season. If st Johnstone put a team out with several senior pros then its hardly a surprise the result but results don’t really matter it’s producing first team players.

With the removal of u20 football and introduction of u18 and reserves I feel we will see a change in the make up of our reserve playing squad with several of the current crop moved on and the younger ones like Kyle Mitchell, McBride and Munro reverting often to the u18 team. Be interesting to see given finances how the u18s work as most clubs will have a team of full time young pros but doubt we will be in a position to afford that which could I supppose lead to us losing players to full time contracts elsewhere.

When a few of the injuries in the squad clear up this will lead to a few older heads in the 20s which should help the young boys through these games. Was surprised to hear u17 back up keeper Young started last night but delighted he seemed to have a good game which will be great for his confidence going forward.

Creative Redemption
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Creative Redemption » Wednesday 06th 2017f December 2017 10:19:34 AM

The only critisicm I have of Alba's excellent reports on these game (seriously, you should as a living) is that when the team have a bad night, you always say they are not good enough to make the 1st team. However, when they win, like a few weeks ago, you are raving about them, and give the notion that some could move up to the next level.
Its the only part of the reports that contradict yourself, as they are either good enough, or they are not.
Its the inconsistency of the players at a young age that make them brilliant one day and poor the next, and that for me is the nature of the beast with the under 21s.
That aside, its always a great read.
God, I wish Loy would come back and show us what he can do. Its so frustrating hes not at the races just now.
Here comes the doom.

Brian Scrimegour
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Brian Scrimegour » Wednesday 06th 2017f December 2017 10:29:21 AM

Add to that the inconsistency of selection. Different team every week with old heads in one minute and then out the next. Cant be easy.

kent brockman
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by kent brockman » Wednesday 06th 2017f December 2017 02:06:23 PM

The real question that has to be asked is can we afford to run an under 20 squad.

As of today we have 40 players on our books and that is not sustainable.
Its not the taking part that counts......its the WINNING.

Brian Scrimegour
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Brian Scrimegour » Wednesday 06th 2017f December 2017 02:17:34 PM

kent brockman wrote:
Wednesday 06th 2017f December 2017 02:06:23 PM
The real question that has to be asked is can we afford to run an under 20 squad.

As of today we have 40 players on our books and that is not sustainable.
We do if its predominantly players from the academy . However recently its been used to give players like Loy, Gasparotto, Watson game time. Hartley is looking to stream line the squad so there will be less and less senior players involved I would think.

kent brockman
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by kent brockman » Wednesday 06th 2017f December 2017 03:56:59 PM

We should have a first team squad of 20 players plus say 4 academy graduates.

I would forget about an under 20 team until we get back up to the Premier League.

The focus should be on quality rather than quantity and getting a winning team on the park.
Its not the taking part that counts......its the WINNING.

John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by John Markie » Wednesday 06th 2017f December 2017 11:45:56 PM

I agree that sometimes we get astonishingly good performances often followed by awful ones. That is to be expected, and to be honest I try not to be too critical (honest). However, we seem to be just getting 14 names and seeing where we can shoehorn them in. Jarvis was awful in central midfield, but I would say he is a winger or a forward, not a central midfielder. He tried which is fair enough, but simply like playing say, a right back as striker - its hardly likely to be a success. My main issue with this team is that they lack any kind of drive or passion. Its all very nicey nicey with no one able (or capable) of "throwing their weight around" as they all look like skinny, smaller than average sized lads. Goal goes in against us and its game over as far as many are concerned - absolutely zero fight apart from a few guys. There is also the question of guys who are pretty experienced at this level - namely Finlayson. He got another year contract which I thought was marginal given his lack of consistency last season. Well, this season he has been pretty poor, or average at best in most games. He looks the part at times, especially going forward, but he can't defend for toffee. He jumps for headers with his head down? wtf is that about? Never tackles. Never. But you could throw that accusation at the whole squad.

I hope young Jonny Mitchell gets the move to the first team squad sooner rather than later. The only REAL quality player we have in this squad (I include Gallacher in this).
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Ricey » Thursday 07th 2017f December 2017 09:09:40 PM

Just to clarify we the 20s squad won’t exist next season it will be u18 and reserves