Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
Falkirkfan6871
International Sub
International Sub

Hartley to rebuild squad in transfer window

Post by Falkirkfan6871 » Wednesday 29th 2017f November 2017 12:28:12 AM

https://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/sport/f ... -1-4625759

Great news.

Could be 4 to 8 players. Maybe doing a St Mirren of last season.

Any suggestions on who will go? Loy will be one ..any ideas who he will bring in?

kennyboy
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Re: Hartley to rebuild squad in transfer window

Post by kennyboy » Wednesday 29th 2017f November 2017 11:19:25 AM

Hope he gets it correct as there is not a penny to spend. OUT LOY, HARRIS, WATSON, SIBBS, CRAIGAN. KIDD, HIPPO, AUSTIN.

Falkirkbairn90
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Falkirkbairn90 » Wednesday 29th 2017f November 2017 11:54:17 AM

This is music to my ears and I’m sure everyone will agree. We have a group of duds (not everyone is included in that but a fair chunk) we are at the point where we just need to stay up and hope Hartley can build from there.

ekbairn
Under 18 sub
Under 18 sub

Post by ekbairn » Wednesday 29th 2017f November 2017 12:01:29 PM

Wouldn't totally disagree with your list but I would keep Austin & Hippo, think there is potential to work with & with players prepared to work for the team beside them, could maybe see them as different players. Add Henderson, Shepherd & Gaspo to this list & would give scope to bring in quite a few new faces. Will have to get up & running quickly though as there is no margin for error come January.

Creative Redemption
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Creative Redemption » Wednesday 29th 2017f November 2017 02:09:06 PM

Just beacuse St Mirren managed to turn it around last season, does not then mean we will.
Although I think its the right way to go for Hartley, its fraught with danger, and could go massively wrong if he brings in players that dont fit or work.
Its a huge gamble by Hartley and the Board if they back him, but its one we need to take.
Its exciting to think about what could happen, but the consequences if it goes wrong could see us relegated.
Here comes the doom.

billybairn
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by billybairn » Wednesday 29th 2017f November 2017 03:34:54 PM

On the other hand, if we do nothing, we will be in a relegation dogfight at the very least anyway.

If the changes help us climb up the table out of the (relegation) play off spot, then it will have been worth it.

Nothing ventured nothing gained. I for one would love to see wholesale changes to this team in January.

JaxinFalkirk
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by JaxinFalkirk » Wednesday 29th 2017f November 2017 04:31:02 PM

Good to see possible Liam deals from Swans

Daniel James & Jo Rodon would be great - exciting winger & strong commanding centre back - both established under 21 Welsh internationals

Would also take Ryan Blair

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Wednesday 29th 2017f November 2017 06:36:05 PM

given how open this has all been communicated it will be interesting to see how many points we pick up in the next 5 weeks. 8 or 9 weeks if we can't ship in and out till the end January. don't think in over 30 years of going to games I've been less optimistic of results as I'll be in the next few weeks...
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

Habib Utak Al Hansi
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Habib Utak Al Hansi » Wednesday 29th 2017f November 2017 07:22:28 PM

Bridge of Allan Bairn wrote:
Wednesday 29th 2017f November 2017 06:36:05 PM
given how open this has all been communicated it will be interesting to see how many points we pick up in the next 5 weeks. 8 or 9 weeks if we can't ship in and out till the end January. don't think in over 30 years of going to games I've been less optimistic of results as I'll be in the next few weeks...
Totally agree. A lot of the focus seems to be on a major churn of players in January, which in itself is fraught with risk and not guaranteed to succeed, albeit it worked for St Mirren. But there are five games in December to be got through first with the same set of players and I would not put a penny on us being in any healthier a situation a month from now. Even at this stage, the table makes grim reading. Six points is hardly a chasm, but it looks insurmountable in the context of current form. Relief at Dumbarton not winning last night, that is what it has come to.

Would any Falkirk fan not sign for eighth place right now if offered? Probably not, that's how dire it is.
PEP SHITTY SHOES - GTF

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Wednesday 29th 2017f November 2017 09:44:30 PM

The fact that the players have failed to come up with any response since Peter Houston's departure has certainly strengthened Hartley's bargaining position.
He can argue strongly that it's not within his ability to turn genuine duds into a decent side. The players have next to no power in all of this, as they have failed to perform in near enough every game, therefore logic says that it wasn't Houston's man management or tactics, just as it isn't Hartley's management or tactics.

It's simply down to the fact that Houston brought in duds who either cannot do better, or simply aren't up for it. Either way round, it's them that will head for the exit, with all apart from Sibbs on a downward trajectory, and even in Sibbs case, the best he can hope for is a Hibs (at best), or more likely, a bottom six top flight team. The rest? Probably part time and a sales job in tyres or carpets. That's the reality that is about to seep it's way into their consciousness over the next few weeks.
So they choose not to perform, and chuck every game. Ultimately, that's ok too. We will survive in one form or other. They will be consigned to the trash bin of our history and remembered with total disdain in years to come. Let's see what unfolds.

Creative Redemption
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Creative Redemption » Thursday 30th 2017f November 2017 09:04:36 AM

What makes this worse is we the fans know ALL of the players are under performing, and have being doing so from game 1 of the season.
Perhaps the only one with passmarks really would be Balatoni and McGhee, but even their form has dipped over the past 3 games or so.
Taiwo for me gets passmarks for his sheer effort and determination in each gme.

If only 5 or 6 of the players had raised their game, lead by example and tried to drag this team out of the mire, it may have lifted the others to try and perform, but we have no leaders (Taiwo aside IMO and he should be captain). If only we had a "Hughes" or "Burgess" type player who would not accept the levels of performance, and would have kicked, scraped and fought with every drop of their blood to turn it around.
These players dont have that in them, or if they do, they have never shown it, and THATS why the fans have turned on them.
We are fans who applaud effort. You only have to remember the first Pressley season where he played a team of youngsters, and we clapped them off the park even when they got beaten, because of the effort and desire they put in. Its not that we are bad fans, we just know what to expect from a team, and this bunch of imposters are not up for it. For me, there is still time for them to turn it around in the next 5 weeks, which would be amazing to see, but I feel that ship has sailed and quite a few are looking at their next opportunity, rather than fight for a Falkirk Football Club they cleary dont have any feeling towards.
Hartley has drive and determination, and I dont think a lot of the players like that. Well, get yer coat lads, Im sure Hartley will do what he can to get players in who DO want to commit to the cause and get us out of this mess.
COYB.
Here comes the doom.

JaxinFalkirk
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by JaxinFalkirk » Thursday 30th 2017f November 2017 09:47:54 AM

Creative Redemption wrote:
Thursday 30th 2017f November 2017 09:04:36 AM
What makes this worse is we the fans know ALL of the players are under performing, and have being doing so from game 1 of the season.
Perhaps the only one with passmarks really would be Balatoni and McGhee, but even their form has dipped over the past 3 games or so.
Taiwo for me gets passmarks for his sheer effort and determination in each gme.

If only 5 or 6 of the players had raised their game, lead by example and tried to drag this team out of the mire, it may have lifted the others to try and perform, but we have no leaders (Taiwo aside IMO and he should be captain). If only we had a "Hughes" or "Burgess" type player who would not accept the levels of performance, and would have kicked, scraped and fought with every drop of their blood to turn it around.
These players dont have that in them, or if they do, they have never shown it, and THATS why the fans have turned on them.
We are fans who applaud effort. You only have to remember the first Pressley season where he played a team of youngsters, and we clapped them off the park even when they got beaten, because of the effort and desire they put in. Its not that we are bad fans, we just know what to expect from a team, and this bunch of imposters are not up for it. For me, there is still time for them to turn it around in the next 5 weeks, which would be amazing to see, but I feel that ship has sailed and quite a few are looking at their next opportunity, rather than fight for a Falkirk Football Club they cleary dont have any feeling towards.
Hartley has drive and determination, and I dont think a lot of the players like that. Well, get yer coat lads, Im sure Hartley will do what he can to get players in who DO want to commit to the cause and get us out of this mess.
COYB.
Well said that man :clap:

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Thursday 30th 2017f November 2017 10:18:12 AM

seconded
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Thursday 30th 2017f November 2017 11:50:27 AM

100% agree CR.

It’s shape up or ship out time for these players.

bigrab147
Reserve sub
Reserve sub

Post by bigrab147 » Thursday 30th 2017f November 2017 12:08:30 PM

Agreed also.

I don't doubt that Hartley / Nicoll will be the shrewest appointments in recent years, and turn this situation on its head.

COYB :clap:

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Thursday 30th 2017f November 2017 02:22:14 PM

I don't have confidence he can bring in players that will have us climb the table.

Its hard to get in players in January and loans are very hit or miss. I assume at least one will arrive from Celtic as Hartley and Brendan Rogers are pals.

Does anyone think Longridge is an improvement in what we have, I have my doubts- I get that shopping in the emergency loan market is a bit like shopping in the Farmfoods Bargain bin (poor choice and worrying quality)

I think we're in a bit of a death spiral, the team needs gutting have to just hope Brechin stay crap and we win the playoffs.
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

Brian Scrimegour
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Brian Scrimegour » Thursday 30th 2017f November 2017 03:05:21 PM

I reckon whoever he brings in have to be better than what we have currently. Certainly hope that the squad will be more balanced for a start. Longridge and Tumulty were a gamble to try and get us a few points before January but unfortunately in the case of longridge its looking like it hasnt paid off. I reckon he'll be back at Accies on the 3rd of Jan.

Jim Holmes
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Jim Holmes » Thursday 30th 2017f November 2017 07:20:18 PM

Habib Utak Al Hansi wrote:
Wednesday 29th 2017f November 2017 07:22:28 PM
Bridge of Allan Bairn wrote:
Wednesday 29th 2017f November 2017 06:36:05 PM
Totally agree. A lot of the focus seems to be on a major churn of players in January, which in itself is fraught with risk and not guaranteed to succeed, albeit it worked for St Mirren. But there are five games in December to be got through first with the same set of players and I would not put a penny on us being in any healthier a situation a month from now. Even at this stage, the table makes grim reading. Six points is hardly a chasm, but it looks insurmountable in the context of current form. Relief at Dumbarton not winning last night, that is what it has come to.

Would any Falkirk fan not sign for eighth place right now if offered? Probably not, that's how dire it is.
On the flip side, there are 5 games for the current squad to fight for their future. Given that there is virtually no fight in the side I cant see this happening. Perhaps they should be asking themselves I've got 5 games to prove I have a future here. They are not going to be moving up in the game that's for sure
Looking for a low cost loan?

http://uk.zopa.com/member/andersonwlIt costs nowt to get a quote

John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by John Markie » Thursday 07th 2017f December 2017 12:04:38 AM

If we could offload 8 then I'd say we need rid of:

Muirhead - can take a long throw in and is great at penalties. Positionally useless as a full back, ball watcher supreme as could be seen in last match v ICT when he left the goal scorer to challenge for a ball he had no chance of getting. Total liability.

Gasparotto - painfully slow and although steady enough in the air is prone to making major clangers in important games.

Watson - see Gasparotto.

Kidd - Cannot get into the team ahead of Muirhead, who is one of the worst full backs we've had in many a year.

Craigen - has scored a few goals and can take a decent free kick. Can't run, can't tackle, can't pass, rarely takes on and beats an opponent. Was once knocked over by a feather.

Harris - What is known by FFC fans as "a shitebag". Would be okay in an all conquering side when you wanted someone to come on in the last 20 minutes to run at tiring defenders.

Shepherd - just has never made the step up from development squad to 1st team. He's not a bad player but he just hasn't had the luck or the confidence to make that final step.

Henderson - Obviously not fancied by Houston or Hartley, yet the former signed him. Why? Any time I saw him for u20's thought he was fairly decent.
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

ellonbairn
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by ellonbairn » Thursday 07th 2017f December 2017 02:19:37 PM

Agree with all, with possible exception of Muirhead as he could be squad cover for central defence or right back. Wouldn't be first choice though.