Kevin O`Hara

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
stupac07
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar
Posts: 658
Joined: Thursday 29th 2009f January 2009 04:04:38 PM

Re: Kevin O`Hara

Post by stupac07 » Tuesday 14th 2017f November 2017 10:31:06 AM

I just read an article on the FH web site 'Bairns apologise for fans chanting' in relation to this. TV microphones picked 'fans' chanting about DS eye. Now can I ask does anyone actually watch BBC Alba with the volume up? Who would actually hear this nonsense?

Have to say this whole thing has been blown completely out of proportion Pars fans taking the morale high ground is laughable and on social Media Sevco fans condemning the lad is also a complete joke given their history over the last 5 years. Last thing to add to this O'Hara has been mince will we really miss him for 8 games?

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International
Posts: 2290
Joined: Wednesday 24th 2007f January 2007 03:21:40 PM

Re: Kevin O`Hara

Post by Dade » Tuesday 14th 2017f November 2017 01:34:16 PM

stupac07 wrote:
Tuesday 14th 2017f November 2017 10:31:06 AM
I just read an article on the FH web site 'Bairns apologise for fans chanting' in relation to this. TV microphones picked 'fans' chanting about DS eye. Now can I ask does anyone actually watch BBC Alba with the volume up? Who would actually hear this nonsense?

Have to say this whole thing has been blown completely out of proportion Pars fans taking the morale high ground is laughable and on social Media Sevco fans condemning the lad is also a complete joke given their history over the last 5 years. Last thing to add to this O'Hara has been mince will we really miss him for 8 games?
I get what you’re saying and I don’t disagree but that doesn’t excuse the lad.

Not a far stretch to believe he’s said it too considering there’s been no alternative mentioned from club or player and he’s pictured pointing at his eye.

As for missing him, unfortunately we won’t. I had big hopes for the lad the way he burst on the scene against Rangers but his end product has been disappointing. It’s still early to make a complete judgement on him but the way he was playing, he won’t be missed.

I read somewhere on Twitter which was a good point regarding O’Hara though, he’s banned for 8 matches by the SFA who appointed Malky Mackay as a head of youth development after he was found guilty of racist, homophobic and sexist messages. What kind of message does that send?

User avatar
Pete
International Sub
International Sub
Posts: 4920
Joined: Monday 01st 2004f March 2004 05:57:30 PM

Re: Kevin O`Hara

Post by Pete » Tuesday 14th 2017f November 2017 07:59:08 PM

Apparently ohara apologised to shiels and dafc after the game and also offered to donate wages to charity but shiels wanted to take it further.

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International
Posts: 2290
Joined: Wednesday 24th 2007f January 2007 03:21:40 PM

Re: Kevin O`Hara

Post by Dade » Wednesday 15th 2017f November 2017 12:50:01 AM

Pete wrote:
Tuesday 14th 2017f November 2017 07:59:08 PM
Apparently ohara apologised to shiels and dafc after the game and also offered to donate wages to charity but shiels wanted to take it further.
If that is the case then regardless what you think of the punishment, clearly he is guilty and you would have to wonder why the club hasn’t condemned him in their statement.

User avatar
Sir Jones
International Manager
International Manager
Posts: 15863
Joined: Thursday 05th 2004f August 2004 12:42:08 PM

Re: Kevin O`Hara

Post by Sir Jones » Wednesday 15th 2017f November 2017 08:53:37 AM

I'd be raging if the club condemned O'Hara in a public statement to be honest.

The whole thing is being blown well out of proportion. I did hear the chanting on Alba though - personally found it amusingly defiant.
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.

User avatar
Brian Scrimegour
International Regular
International Regular
Posts: 5500
Joined: Monday 16th 2004f February 2004 12:59:25 PM

Re: Kevin O`Hara

Post by Brian Scrimegour » Wednesday 15th 2017f November 2017 10:35:11 AM

Pete wrote:
Tuesday 14th 2017f November 2017 07:59:08 PM
Apparently ohara apologised to shiels and dafc after the game and also offered to donate wages to charity but shiels wanted to take it further.
An eye for an eye obviously.

kennyboy
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar
Posts: 559
Joined: Tuesday 03rd 2004f August 2004 04:50:42 PM

Re: Kevin O`Hara

Post by kennyboy » Wednesday 15th 2017f November 2017 11:00:45 AM

People should remember we are not in a real work environment when it comes to footballers .They are like kids. According to what was said there is not a lot between ( your for the high jump) and. (Your for the eye jump) and pointing to your temple.

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International
Posts: 2290
Joined: Wednesday 24th 2007f January 2007 03:21:40 PM

Re: Kevin O`Hara

Post by Dade » Wednesday 15th 2017f November 2017 11:37:47 AM

Sir Jones wrote:
Wednesday 15th 2017f November 2017 08:53:37 AM
I'd be raging if the club condemned O'Hara in a public statement to be honest.

The whole thing is being blown well out of proportion. I did hear the chanting on Alba though - personally found it amusingly defiant.
It’s a simple issue of whether you believe it’s ok to abuse someone about their disability or not. I’m not saying he should be sacked but in my opinion, he was definitely in the wrong.

What does it say to supporters of our club who have or whose kids have disabilities if the club basically stands by a player who has abused someone about having one eye?

Also out of interest does anyone who is sticking up for O’Hara on here fall in to the above or know disabled people who think it’s fair game for a stranger to slag them off about their disability?

User avatar
dixie chicken
International Sub
International Sub
Posts: 4007
Joined: Sunday 24th 2006f September 2006 10:48:38 AM

Re: Kevin O`Hara

Post by dixie chicken » Wednesday 15th 2017f November 2017 12:16:37 PM

It’s all a bit over the top. Just a sign of the times, I’m afraid.

rusty_nail
First Team sub
First Team sub
Posts: 797
Joined: Sunday 25th 2006f June 2006 06:47:25 PM
Location: Falkirk

Re: Kevin O`Hara

Post by rusty_nail » Wednesday 15th 2017f November 2017 12:31:41 PM

Dade wrote:
Wednesday 15th 2017f November 2017 11:37:47 AM
Sir Jones wrote:
Wednesday 15th 2017f November 2017 08:53:37 AM
I'd be raging if the club condemned O'Hara in a public statement to be honest.

The whole thing is being blown well out of proportion. I did hear the chanting on Alba though - personally found it amusingly defiant.
It’s a simple issue of whether you believe it’s ok to abuse someone about their disability or not. I’m not saying he should be sacked but in my opinion, he was definitely in the wrong.

What does it say to supporters of our club who have or whose kids have disabilities if the club basically stands by a player who has abused someone about having one eye?

Also out of interest does anyone who is sticking up for O’Hara on here fall in to the above or know disabled people who think it’s fair game for a stranger to slag them off about their disability?
I'd agree with Dade: There is a line that shouldn't be crossed and on this occasion it would appear O'Hara has.
A Club Spokesman wrote:The club take note of the decision made by the Scottish FA Judicial Panel and are in the process of requesting the written reasons.
The lack of condemnation is probably due to the fact they're considering the legal position with regards to whether this is gross misconduct. Obviously, the SFA have found him guilty but until they have the reasons I suspect they can't prejudice any future action they may take themselves by making public statements.

This sorry episode and the fans incident is not helping us in our current predicament and O'Hara will be another one shipped out when he can actually play for someone other than us!
Contemplating the future of One F in Falkirk

Back Post Misses
International Regular
International Regular
Posts: 5029
Joined: Sunday 14th 2006f May 2006 12:51:43 PM

Re: Kevin O`Hara

Post by Back Post Misses » Wednesday 15th 2017f November 2017 01:09:47 PM

Whatever happens this will create a problem for the New Year Game.

I personally hope O'Hara plays a part in that game and shoves it up these scumming b**tards

User avatar
Brian Scrimegour
International Regular
International Regular
Posts: 5500
Joined: Monday 16th 2004f February 2004 12:59:25 PM

Re: Kevin O`Hara

Post by Brian Scrimegour » Wednesday 15th 2017f November 2017 01:36:06 PM

Theirs abuse thrown about in every football match whether its calling someone a ginger b, or a fat b or an ugly b. I fail to see (no pun intended) how this is any worse to be honest. Still ridiculous to me that he would probably have only got a 3 game ban for sticking the nut on him.

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International
Posts: 2290
Joined: Wednesday 24th 2007f January 2007 03:21:40 PM

Re: Kevin O`Hara

Post by Dade » Wednesday 15th 2017f November 2017 01:55:44 PM

Brian Scrimegour wrote:
Wednesday 15th 2017f November 2017 01:36:06 PM
Theirs abuse thrown about in every football match whether its calling someone a ginger b, or a fat b or an ugly b. I fail to see (no pun intended) how this is any worse to be honest. Still ridiculous to me that he would probably have only got a 3 game ban for sticking the nut on him.
Abusing someone about a disability is extremely low and I definitely wouldn't put it in the same category as the above examples. Losing sight in an eye must be pretty traumatic. Hopefully no-one on here has or will know anyone that will have to go through that and especially not then get abused about it.

User avatar
Ranaldo Bairn
International Regular
International Regular
Posts: 5141
Joined: Tuesday 20th 2004f January 2004 08:17:26 PM
Location: Nova Prospekt.

Re: Kevin O`Hara

Post by Ranaldo Bairn » Wednesday 15th 2017f November 2017 02:37:24 PM

For the hardy few that made it to the Longman Dump on Saturday, it was interesting to notice Conrad Balatoni giving a very obvious and sombre shaking of the head to the Shuttle boys when they were singing away during a break in play.
"You, who have destroyed so much - can you name even one thing you have created? I thought not. There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue Physicist."

Back Post Misses
International Regular
International Regular
Posts: 5029
Joined: Sunday 14th 2006f May 2006 12:51:43 PM

Re: Kevin O`Hara

Post by Back Post Misses » Wednesday 15th 2017f November 2017 03:26:37 PM

Ranaldo Bairn wrote:
Wednesday 15th 2017f November 2017 02:37:24 PM
For the hardy few that made it to the Longman Dump on Saturday, it was interesting to notice Conrad Balatoni giving a very obvious and sombre shaking of the head to the Shuttle boys when they were singing away during a break in play.
Jesus Christ

This song was started by Hibs supporters when he moved to Sevoc when they were in Div 3.

I was at Ibrox when Sevco were in our league and it was being sung by our fans then.

The utter pish getting talked about this is starting to grate.

I wonder if Roman Catholics shake their heads in a sombre fashion when the Sevco are giving it laldy with the fen**n blood.

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International
Posts: 2290
Joined: Wednesday 24th 2007f January 2007 03:21:40 PM

Re: Kevin O`Hara

Post by Dade » Wednesday 15th 2017f November 2017 04:45:52 PM

Back Post Misses wrote:
Wednesday 15th 2017f November 2017 03:26:37 PM
Ranaldo Bairn wrote:
Wednesday 15th 2017f November 2017 02:37:24 PM
For the hardy few that made it to the Longman Dump on Saturday, it was interesting to notice Conrad Balatoni giving a very obvious and sombre shaking of the head to the Shuttle boys when they were singing away during a break in play.
Jesus Christ

This song was started by Hibs supporters when he moved to Sevoc when they were in Div 3.

I was at Ibrox when Sevco were in our league and it was being sung by our fans then.

The utter pish getting talked about this is starting to grate.

I wonder if Roman Catholics shake their heads in a sombre fashion when the Sevco are giving it laldy with the fen**n blood.
I really have no idea what the intention of your post is? Are you trying to suggest that sectarian singing is ok?

User avatar
oot_the_loop
First Team sub
First Team sub
Posts: 818
Joined: Sunday 12th 2004f September 2004 06:00:00 PM

Re: Kevin O`Hara

Post by oot_the_loop » Wednesday 15th 2017f November 2017 04:58:52 PM

Maybe because the song is more about Rangers dying and less about Dean Shiels, and every single team has sung it at song point? We didn't invent it ffs, we're not that clever.

The 8 game ban imo opens up a can of worms as it has set a precedent that surely now must be followed in all other games.

Shiels is disabled as defined under the Equalities Act 2010, hence causing offence in relation to said disability is an act that would fall fowl of that piece of legislation. But that same legislation protects those based on 8 other characteristics, including things like age, race, religion or belief.

I think race and religion are well documented, but how about the next time an opposition players calls Lee Miller an 'old has-been', or indeed says things like 'I'd got pants older than you' to Ceiran Dunne, should the same 8 match ban apply?

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International
Posts: 2290
Joined: Wednesday 24th 2007f January 2007 03:21:40 PM

Re: Kevin O`Hara

Post by Dade » Wednesday 15th 2017f November 2017 05:34:21 PM

oot_the_loop wrote:
Wednesday 15th 2017f November 2017 04:58:52 PM
Maybe because the song is more about Rangers dying and less about Dean Shiels, and every single team has sung it at song point? We didn't invent it ffs, we're not that clever.

The 8 game ban imo opens up a can of worms as it has set a precedent that surely now must be followed in all other games.

Shiels is disabled as defined under the Equalities Act 2010, hence causing offence in relation to said disability is an act that would fall fowl of that piece of legislation. But that same legislation protects those based on 8 other characteristics, including things like age, race, religion or belief.

I think race and religion are well documented, but how about the next time an opposition players calls Lee Miller an 'old has-been', or indeed says things like 'I'd got pants older than you' to Ceiran Dunne, should the same 8 match ban apply?
I don't think you really need to look up proper legislation to decide if losing an eye counts as a disability, besides it's not about equal opportunities and discrimination in the work place, it's about abusing someone about their disability and whether we deem that acceptable in football. Also in wider society it would probably be deemed as a hate crime of which, age isn't included.

Anyway the simple question is do you think abusing someone about their disability is acceptable?

User avatar
oot_the_loop
First Team sub
First Team sub
Posts: 818
Joined: Sunday 12th 2004f September 2004 06:00:00 PM

Re: Kevin O`Hara

Post by oot_the_loop » Wednesday 15th 2017f November 2017 08:13:58 PM

Absolutely not Dade, on review I didnt make that clear - abusing someone for a disability is wrong (I brought up the EA because people have questioned whether it is a disability - I believe the quote was 'if he can still play football, how is it a disability' :bang:), but my point is - is there an acceptable reason to abuse someone on a football field? Because I can tell you for certain it goes on in every single game played all over the country every weekend. Who decides what is ok abuse and what is not ok abuse'? And are there worse kinds of abuse? Is racism worse than ageism? Is pointing out a disability worse than pointing out someone religion? Is homophobia as bad as sexism?

My point is abuse is abuse, no matter what the context and arguably - because of this decision - all forms of it between players should now be met with an 8 match ban. A precedent has been set.

User avatar
grumpyoldman
Under 21 International
Under 21 International
Posts: 2066
Joined: Wednesday 04th 2006f January 2006 11:02:14 PM

Re: Kevin O`Hara

Post by grumpyoldman » Wednesday 15th 2017f November 2017 08:38:27 PM

There are a couple of deaf and dumb boys in the south stand.
Does that mean Higginbotham cupping his ears during his goal celebration
could be construed as mocking their disability.

I really doubt it, but I’m sure some of the PC brigade could find mileage in it.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests