Fan Ownership

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
kent brockman
First Team regular
First Team regular

Fan Ownership

Post by kent brockman » Friday 03rd 2017f November 2017 05:35:17 PM

An open evening has been arranged at The Falkirk Stadium on Thursday 16th November to discuss the potential for fan ownership of the club.

There will be a presentation by Paul Goodwin of the Scottish Football Supporters Association as well as Craig Hughes from the Well Society (the Fans Group involved in the takeover of Motherwell FC)

The event takes place in the South Stand and kicks off at 6.30pm.
Last edited by kent brockman on Friday 03rd 2017f November 2017 07:25:22 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Its not the taking part that counts......its the WINNING.

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Re: Fan Ownership

Post by Dade » Friday 03rd 2017f November 2017 06:37:41 PM

kent brockman wrote:
Friday 03rd 2017f November 2017 05:35:17 PM
An open evening has been arranged at The Falkirk Stadium on Thursday 16th March to discuss the potential for fan ownership of the club.

There will be a presentation by Paul Goodwin of the Scottish Football Supporters Association as well as Craig Hughes from the Well Society (the Fans Group involved in the takeover of Motherwell FC)

The event takes place in the South Stand and kicks off at 6.30pm.
Just checking but did you mean March? Just seems like a lot of notice.

Newborn Bairn
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by Newborn Bairn » Saturday 04th 2017f November 2017 11:57:26 AM

Imagine a club owned by Olafs

Creative Redemption
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Creative Redemption » Tuesday 07th 2017f November 2017 08:46:23 AM

Newborn Bairn wrote:
Saturday 04th 2017f November 2017 11:57:26 AM
Or a club owned by the idiots who currently own it.
Olaf any day for me.
Here comes the doom.

kent brockman
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by kent brockman » Friday 17th 2017f November 2017 10:28:37 AM

Very interesting and informative evening. It was great to hear how Motherwell and St Mirren are moving towards fan ownership.

St Mirren is probably the best role model for us where over 1,200 fans have signed up to buy the club over a 10 year period.

oot_the_loop
First Team sub
First Team sub

Post by oot_the_loop » Friday 17th 2017f November 2017 11:45:27 AM

**Disclaimer - I'm not an accountant or know anything about the running of a football club, neither did i take notes so this might not be the most accurate of summaries in respect of terminology, understanding or content**

St Mirren fans group are in the process of taking control of majority shares by buying the club - debt free - for a suitable valuation (from memory circa £1m) from the majority shareholder with the help of a benefactor.

Motherwell fans group bought the club for £1, but with it took on sizeable debts, that roughly added up to the same as the St Mirren costs.

My cynical gut feelings is that you just know that the deal for a Falkirk group will be to buy it at the over-inflated value of the MSG, PLUS take on the debts (or whatever the correct terminology is) for the south stand, pitch etc...

Great idea in concept, IMO biggest initial challenges are:
- the majority shareholder (they / he NEEDS to be at the next meeting)
- transparency around costs/outgoings from the club
- unity, cohesion and clarity of the fans GROUP (not groups as Gordon Waddell stressed!)
- getting volunteers and appointing the 'right' person for the role of fans rep

Both SM and Motherwell fans group take in monthly direct debits (Motherwell initially took in one-off lumps but are trying to move to all DD to get sustainable cash flow) to cover the cost of the money owed to benefactors and shareholders, I believe the St Mirren group bring in around £12,000/month, with (my figure might be inaccurate) around £5,000/month needed to cover the repayment to buy the majority shares. They made it clear the money does not go towards the general running of the club, its still a business and wages etc are still paid in the same way as they are now.

The remainder goes into a 'backup' - to cover costs for when times arent so great, and occasionally a members vote is taken to spend some of that money (on things like improving facilities, though the St Mirren group did put £10k into the playing budget, which they both said they would never do, and kind of advised against it)(im not sure where that leaves our 'buy a player' fund, seems like the two ideas might be mutually exclusive - something to consider).

It was a well set up meeting - well chaired, the speakers were very good and the questions intelligent both in content and delivery. The general feeling was the concept of fan ownership is a go-er at falkirk, but i suspect like most, for me the reality is a long way away, though I did buy in to the rousing speech from Mr Guthrie for the Falkirk fans to believe in themselves again - well done for that if you are on here. I will take his challenge for each attendee at the meeting to get two other falkirk fans interested in the idea, and take the easy option and post it here.

A comment for future meetings, these kinds of things - along with the fans forums - could benefit hugely from a 'minute taker' or someone to put up a summary of what was said on the club website for those that couldn't make it, particularly questions that were asked and answers given, or perhaps set up a dedicated email address for Q&A related to specific points like this. More transparency and more information should lead to less scepticism and hopefully more interest.

Does anyone know who/how to get in touch with at the club to put these suggestions forward?

kent brockman
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by kent brockman » Friday 17th 2017f November 2017 01:12:02 PM

That is an excellent summary. The person to contact would be Craig Campbell (craigc@falkirkfc.co.uk)

Like you I believe this is possible but I don't underestimate the amount of hard work and goodwill that would be required to make it happen.

Creative Redemption
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Creative Redemption » Friday 17th 2017f November 2017 01:34:00 PM

The crux of the matter is how much the Board would want to accept a complete buyout.
My opinion is it will be far more than the club is worth, and resentments will build form there.
Does anybody know how much the club would ask for, or has anyone even asked that question yet?
Here comes the doom.

Sir Jones
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Sir Jones » Saturday 18th 2017f November 2017 10:04:40 AM

It's all just hearsay and rumour, and I can't recall what the shares are actually quoted at, but last time something was mooted around buying out the MSG they wanted the full value of their shares back. I actually think someone suggested they wanted more for f*ck sake. This completely ignored that most of these kents (allegedly) got their shares at a fraction of the quoted share price.

On paper, this could work so well. It's something I've wanted to see for years. In reality, there are likely a few too many @rseholes involved that would cause friction and the whole thing to collapse.
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.

Brian Scrimegour
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Brian Scrimegour » Monday 20th 2017f November 2017 11:22:22 AM

The things is how many times can you go to the fans wanting cash on a regular basis? At the moment your paying circa £300 for a season ticket plus whatever else you buy. Strips, etc. And thats before you add on the costs for away trips for those who travel. You've then got the bairn for life direct debit to fund players in January and now your looking for these fans to spunk up even more cash every month. I cant see it to be honest and it will be interesting to see how these fans schemes turn out in the long term.

rocketman
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by rocketman » Monday 20th 2017f November 2017 01:28:24 PM

Creative Redemption wrote:
Tuesday 07th 2017f November 2017 08:46:23 AM
Newborn Bairn wrote:
Saturday 04th 2017f November 2017 11:57:26 AM
Or a club owned by the idiots who currently own it.
Olaf any day for me.
Seconded
"I dislike what you say as it's not PC, and will shaft you with all available measures until you conform"

kent brockman
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by kent brockman » Saturday 17th 2018f February 2018 11:30:08 AM

We have invited The Foundation of Hearts to come to the Falkirk Stadium to discuss their plans for community ownership of Hearts.

They have recruited 8,000 fans to their membership scheme and will explain how they spend the £1.5m per annum raised by their supporters.

The event takes place in the South Stand Bar on Thursday 22nd February at 7pm and everyone is welcome to attend.
Last edited by kent brockman on Sunday 18th 2018f February 2018 01:52:05 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Saturday 17th 2018f February 2018 02:34:27 PM

Date correction needed????????

Kiddy
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Kiddy » Saturday 17th 2018f February 2018 03:59:17 PM

Jesus wept, financial advice from Motherwell & Hearts.
What next, Livi, the Pars, Dundee & Sevco?
No financial regulation, no corporate governance, no enlarged divisions, no summer football, no single ruling body, no new cash, no integrity. Behold the 'bright new dawn' for Scottish football,

Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Ricey » Saturday 17th 2018f February 2018 06:08:27 PM

Probably the boards sense of humour. Surely Giovanni de Stefano will be offering legal advice

Whilst that buffoon Craig Campbell is involved in anything at the club we will continue to struggle. The natural successor to George Craig he needs chased quick sharp.

Habib Utak Al Hansi
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Habib Utak Al Hansi » Saturday 17th 2018f February 2018 08:22:16 PM

Kiddy wrote:
Saturday 17th 2018f February 2018 03:59:17 PM
Jesus wept, financial advice from Motherwell & Hearts.
What next, Livi, the Pars, Dundee & Sevco?
What, you haven't bought into the Budge fairytale ? :shock: You know, the one where they spent years cheating, paying 5 figure weekly salaries to the likes of Laryea Kingston, racked up massive losses, ran away from the debt, wiped the slate clean and started again.
PEP SHITTY SHOES - GTF

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Saturday 17th 2018f February 2018 08:51:20 PM

Or even better, amassing the sum required to buy out Anne Budge (as she always said she would give them the club back for the price she paid), and then have Budge tell them it would be best to give her their £3.5 million and she would invest it into their new stand.......which she did.
Only problem is, she still owns the club outright, and is now booked at a lot more than the £2.5 million she put in.......and the FoH have nothing much more that a percentage of one stand in their name, and as and when they raise £2.5 million again, it’s unlikely to be enough to budge Budge.