Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
billybairn
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Re: Falkirk v Dunfermline 04/11/2017

Post by billybairn » Saturday 04th 2017f November 2017 03:49:40 PM

b7cc5462ac329ce47cc84c907ae49048.jpg
b7cc5462ac329ce47cc84c907ae49048.jpg (106.97 KiB) Viewed 1796 times
Longridge starts up front with Miller. Watson in at centre back. Young Dunne starts.

Kiddy
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Kiddy » Saturday 04th 2017f November 2017 07:13:56 PM

Bit better performance, Hartley at least is willing to change formation, personnel, in a bid to win the game.
Felt for Dunne, in giving away the pen. Had just won the ball, & turned to play it, then catching the player that nipped in front of him.
Both he & Longridge gave us options down either flank, after the invisible Hippo had gone off.
Limiting the Pars to their pen being their only chance on target, was good, & can't really think of a save Thomson had to make during the entirety of the game.
Surprised Johnson didn't hook Higginbotham long before he was SO, that they only had another one red carded was amazing. As the keeper clearly handled outside the box & Shiels must have committed half a dozen horrendous tackles to get booked.
Think they'll struggle to make top 4 too & we may even catch them by the season's end.
No financial regulation, no corporate governance, no enlarged divisions, no summer football, no single ruling body, no new cash, no integrity. Behold the 'bright new dawn' for Scottish football,

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Saturday 04th 2017f November 2017 07:24:45 PM

That was terrible! Why were folk applauding at the end? They were down to 10 men for most of the 2nd half and we created 1 Chance that Austin hit the post with.

First half was appalling, if they were 2 in front it wouldn’t have flattered, they had about 8 corners and pressured us. It was a stonewall penalty and young Dunne nearly did the same 5 mins previously and got away with it. He just took a wild swipe at the ball and caught their guy, needs to be more careful of his location on the pitch.

The midfield is our big problem, we are really, really poor. Kerr is hopeless, McKee is a coward who crapped out at least 3 challenges, bringing on Craigen only makes things worse.

Again questions have to be asked about Loy, he only looked interested after the first barney, prior to that his body language, effort and play was diabolical - that chance he had where he just swung a leg at it and clipped it miles over the bar was shocking.

Despite all that, I have to say I was pleased with Hartley, was a refreshing chance to see a manager actually try and win a game and make positive changes, moving to back 3 and using wingers as wingbacks. It’s not his fault that the squad is hopelessly unbalanced and our two most expensive players don’t give a toss.

Another draw, another home game without a win or goal from open play. These players should be embarrassed to call themselves professional footballers.
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

Brian Scrimegour
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Brian Scrimegour » Saturday 04th 2017f November 2017 07:31:46 PM

With all the positions we have problems with did we really need to sign a player that looks most comfortable playing left wing? We already have two left wingers.

Kiddy
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Kiddy » Saturday 04th 2017f November 2017 07:33:28 PM

Olaf Thom wrote:
Saturday 04th 2017f November 2017 07:24:45 PM
That was terrible! Why were folk applauding at the end? They were down to 10 men for most of the 2nd half and we created 1 Chance that Austin hit the post with.

First half was appalling, if they were 2 in front it wouldn’t have flattered, they had about 8 corners and pressured us. It was a stonewall penalty and young Dunne nearly did the same 5 mins previously and got away with it. He just took a wild swipe at the ball and caught their guy, needs to be more careful of his location on the pitch.

The midfield is our big problem, we are really, really poor. Kerr is hopeless, McKee is a coward who crapped out at least 3 challenges, bringing on Craigen only makes things worse.

Again questions have to be asked about Loy, he only looked interested after the first barney, prior to that his body language, effort and play was diabolical - that chance he had where he just swung a leg at it and clipped it miles over the bar was shocking.

Despite all that, I have to say I was pleased with Hartley, was a refreshing chance to see a manager actually try and win a game and make positive changes, moving to back 3 and using wingers as wingbacks. It’s not his fault that the squad is hopelessly unbalanced and our two most expensive players don’t give a toss.

Another draw, another home game without a win or goal from open play. These players should be embarrassed to call themselves professional footballers.
Have you seen us this season? Not that it is saying much, but it was easily about the best we've played!
No financial regulation, no corporate governance, no enlarged divisions, no summer football, no single ruling body, no new cash, no integrity. Behold the 'bright new dawn' for Scottish football,

Kiddy
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Kiddy » Saturday 04th 2017f November 2017 07:41:45 PM

Brian Scrimegour wrote:
Saturday 04th 2017f November 2017 07:31:46 PM
We already have two left wingers.
We do? :help2:

Ranaldo Bairn
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Ranaldo Bairn » Saturday 04th 2017f November 2017 07:43:32 PM

Olaf clearly trolling now. Your cover is blown son, need a new schtick.

By the way, what a bunch of absolute meatheaded thugs that DA team are. Clearly dangerous in the first half, and if they'd kept their cool they'd have waltzed off with a 0-1 or 1-2 win. Thanks to their utter brainlessness and complete cranial detachments all over the shop, they should have been pumped as they never got out their half after Higgy's RC. They have genuine mentality issues. How Shiels and the keeper stayed on is absolutely amazing. Oh wait - Craig Thomson was refereeing - as you were.
"You, who have destroyed so much - can you name even one thing you have created? I thought not. There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue Physicist."

Brian Scrimegour
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Brian Scrimegour » Saturday 04th 2017f November 2017 08:08:37 PM

Kiddy wrote:
Saturday 04th 2017f November 2017 07:41:45 PM
Brian Scrimegour wrote:
Saturday 04th 2017f November 2017 07:31:46 PM
We already have two left wingers.
We do? :help2:
Hippo and Dunne are both left sided. Just seems to me other areas in the team need looked at before there.

rusty_nail
First Team sub
First Team sub

Post by rusty_nail » Saturday 04th 2017f November 2017 08:20:39 PM

A meh first half in which neither team showed any quality. We gave them a goal by conceding a stick-on penalty and Hippo looked dis-interested and seemed like Balatoni wasn't 100%.

Dunfermline were dirty and Thomson didn't help himself by allowing dangerous tackles to slide and a poorer ref I've yet to see this year.
He called their penalty correctly but how he and the stand side linesman missed the goalie handling outside the area I'll never know - interested to see if that makes the 'highlights'.

We bossed the half after Higginbothams red and if not for some poor decision making we could've won. For me, Dunne had to find one of the five players we had in the box instead of going for goal himself!

On a final note, disappointed to see coins being thrown on the pitch. A fine on the way and ultimately hurts the club more than the individuals they're aimed at.
Contemplating the future of One F in Falkirk

John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by John Markie » Saturday 04th 2017f November 2017 09:41:33 PM

Much much better than we've seen of late, with hardly a real failing in the side. We really do however need to find some composure and someone with the craft of a Sibbald to find a way to the goal. We huff and puff, and its all just so predictable and repetitive. We could be playing still and still be struggling to find a way through their defence. We could point to really atrocious refereeing, which would be accurate, but really, to have so much possession and control and only to manage one goal is a real worry. Not one player looks confident with the ball at their feet in the final third, with ballooning crosses and woeful shooting being commonplace. The good thing about today was we showed a bit of spirit, and Longridge looked full of running. So there is glimmer of hope - but just a glimmer.

First half belonged to them and it was a stone wall penalty to give them the lead. We looked a wee bit lost and unsure of ourselves in that first half, with Higginbotham being the chief teaser who we seem unable to keep a hold of. Dunne did his best, but he's still got a way to go when it comes to his positioning and tackling back. Second half was the opposite with not one of their lot able to live with Dunnes pace and energy. They should perhaps have had more red cards, given the blatant fouling and handballs that were going on, but with Thomson in charge, you are likely the victim being sent of as the perpetrator. The keeper and Shiels should both have gone, as should maybe Cardle too for their off the ball shenanigans. Neat free kick for the equalizer then it all just ground to a halt with no guile or imagination being shown to break them down further. Well done for going all out for the win, but maybe keeping Miller on was a mistake as he was done after an hour, and Loy is now a luxury we really can no longer afford even as a sub. Frustrating but another point in the survival stakes, because right now thats where we are, a team going nowhere with very few ideas on how to break down teams and still all too weak in the centre of the park.

Ratings
Thomson 8/10. No complaints today. No chance with the penalty and did well at corners. Distribution better today, although still very hesitant.

Muihead 6/10. Defended well enough and did as much as he could going forward. There is just that intangible feeling that he is simply not a natural full back, never taking on and beating anyone, nor having the brains to get a simple 1-2 going to get in behind the opposition.
Balatoni 8/10. Superb again. Really nothing else to say after another exemplary performance. Maybe still needs to work on his acceleration and pace overall.
Watson 8/10. never put a foot wrong. Looked just a wee bit rusty at times, but not a bad performance at all.
McGhee 8/10. Took the free kick very well and looked more comfortable when we went to three at the back. Very good today/

Dunne 8.5/10 My MotM. Yes, he gave away the penalty, and yes he should have done better when he took the wrong option in the box second half. But he absolutely destroyed them when he ran at them, linked up beautifully with Longridge and Miller and was a shinning example of how to play the game, picking himself up and getting on with it after every foul. Fantastic.
Kerr 6/10. much better today, but still oh so lacking in his inventiveness. I was amazed he stayed on the pitch, but think that had more to do with McKee "losing it" than anything Kerr was actually doing. An above average performance from a past it midfielder.
McKee 7/10. Keen to get stuck in and did his best to drive us forward. Got too involved and was rightly subbed by Hartley as he was in danger of getting himself sent off.
Hippolyte 5/10. Just not his day at all. Looked to be waiting for something to happen rather than him going and making a difference by exploding into the game as he can. Overall he was lacklustre and disappointing.

Longridge 7/10. A very good start from him. Showed great desire and fight, even some terrific attitude when pulled back into a more midfield role after McKee went off. A very promising debut. Maybe just tried a wee bit too hard at times.
Miller 6/10. Not brilliant by the big man today, just average. Better control could have got him a goal but it wasn't to be today.

Subs
Loy 4/10. Not up to the pace of things at all. Disappointing.
Austin 5/10. Unlucky at the end with his header, but that was about all we saw of him.
Craigen 5/10. Ran about and did his best. At least showed effort and some decent touches. Too featherweight and indecisive.

Referee was as bad as we have come to expect. This guy gets European games to referee! How? He has actually gotten worse over the years instead of better. If I was Falkirk, I'd be doing a "Dunfermline" and sending a written complaint about how the referee and linesman both missed the handball by the keeper outside the box, and the kick to Miller when he was on the deck by Cardle (I think) to the SFA or SPFL (or whoever is in charge these days). Lets get these fuds bans like they did to Hippo.
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

Brian Scrimegour
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Brian Scrimegour » Saturday 04th 2017f November 2017 10:00:10 PM

McKee 7 out of 10? He was brutal today.

oot_the_loop
First Team sub
First Team sub

Post by oot_the_loop » Sunday 05th 2017f November 2017 12:27:20 AM

Shows just how vastly different opinions can be - I thought McKee played one of his worst games for us, he just didn't look interested. I also had Muirhead as one of the better performers, and although it appears I am in the minority, I thought Longridge was rank.

rusty_nail
First Team sub
First Team sub

Post by rusty_nail » Sunday 05th 2017f November 2017 08:22:34 AM

oot_the_loop wrote:
Sunday 05th 2017f November 2017 12:27:20 AM
Shows just how vastly different opinions can be - … I thought Longridge was rank.
I can agree on that. MOTM award was odd as he wasn't exceptional or outstanding for large parts of the game. A better choice might have been Miller or the unheralded Watson.

Just my opinion!

Falkirkbairn90
Reserve sub
Reserve sub

Post by Falkirkbairn90 » Sunday 05th 2017f November 2017 09:26:20 AM

McKee was anonymous for me. When he came off I forgot he was even on the pitch. He didn’t stand out as being horrible like Hippo did but just didn’t stand out in general. I’d have given Hippo a 1/10. Worst player on the park for us by a country mile. I thought Kerr actually had a decent game. Played a couple nice passes but still lacks the fitness to play 90 minutes. Muirhead was very good and saved us at one point with a last man header. All defenders were very good actually but I think that may be a reflection on Fifers more than anything. Dunne did very well, looked purposeful on the ball and was unlucky giving the penalty away. He was my MOTM, abut lightweight but he will get stronger and he won us so many fouls of which one I lead to our goal (I think) no complaints about GK, solid game, did his bread and butter well and has clearly been working on distribution. By the looks of things he’s in the sticks for the rest of the season. I saw Mitchell in the stand. Guy can barely walk!

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Sunday 05th 2017f November 2017 12:10:30 PM

I'd add cardle to the list of players that should have gone off. his off the ball kick at Muirhead was a straight red a d no different to sibbalds red at eep. cardle should also have had further yellows in addition to the one he got for rubbing out the white line and stealing yards at our free kick then wasting an amazing amount of time walking backwards and applauding their fans when subbed. for me he should have been off at least twice. until refs start booking for timewasting these jokers like cardle will continue to play the system.

to the game the penalty was a stone waller and Dunne was lucky not have given one away earlier in the exact same position. I like the look of the lad though and with some coaching on his final ball he could be a real asset this season. I think the defence looks decent these days and have no issues with all 5 yesterday. Kerr was good too. he does the role he's asked to do well. I thought longridge was okay but never motm. he's quick and can beat a man but Harris can sometimes do that too. it's consistency we need in that pisition. McKee was okay. it's up front we are really struggling chopping and changing weekly as not one of them have taken their chance. loy is playing just like Baird last season. Miller did okay. hippo was poor yesterday which is a shame as when he's on it only he and sibbald can create out of nothing.

positives? we've played the top 3 sides in Dundee United st mirren and dunfermline recently and none of them have beaten us and all looked really poor. so if we can string some wins together soon these teams will drop points and ground will be closed.

I like the fact Hartley isn't scared to gave a go going to a back 3 yesterday was brave and nearly paid off. I also like he's put Dunne in to shake the first team and u20 squad up and has got longridge in. finally dropping the strikers Austin hippo etc shows no one is guaranteed a game a d let's be honest some of them need to pull their fingers out.

still missing sibbald Grant and taiwo yesterday too which is a spine of a team.
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

Sir Jones
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Sir Jones » Sunday 05th 2017f November 2017 01:47:10 PM

Quite enjoyed that yesterday. We were nowhere near the levels we hit when we pumped them two nil but it was almost like a proper derby. That's probably mostly down to that f*cking idiot Higginbotham's behaviour to be honest.

We really kept a lid on them for large portions of the game. It's just a real shame we are dug sh1t at creating chances from open play.

I'm not usually one to have a pop at the ref but yesterday was as incompetent a performance as that of the official in the cup match. There were a couple of challenges that our lads walked luckily walked away from but had they been unlucky, the resulting injury would have been thanks to that prick officiating the game. There was a challenge on Dunne late in the game that genuinely could have broke an ankle - no attempt at the ball, purely to break up play - that I think I would've given red for as well as all the other sh1t he missed. No question about it - Higginbotham should have seen a straight red for that elbow and the dirty little prick should be singled out for treatment when we next meet.

Not sure what was up with Hippo though. That's about as disinterested a performance I have seen in a long time. And what was the deal with us fannying around with the long throws late on in the game? I counted at least 3 times where we held play up for a Muirhead long throw when we couldve just played a quick, short throw in and whipped in a cross. To compound things, we twice just played the short throw anyway! What the hell is the point in that?!

Anyway, we competed well and with the rub of the green we would've won yesterday. Sh1t happens, onwards and upwards.
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.

rusty_nail
First Team sub
First Team sub

Post by rusty_nail » Monday 06th 2017f November 2017 11:21:15 AM

Having reviewed both the Falkirk and Pars perspectives of the highlights it would seem Murdochs apparent 'handball' outside the area wasn't noteworthy as it's not included in either :shock:

Also didn't appreciate how bad Higginbothams tackles were for his 1st booking and Thomson should've blown far earlier in the passage of play as it's clear by the final foul he's got zero interest in the ball by that stage :x
I wrote:A meh first half in which neither team showed any quality.
I'll retract that. We just lacked a cutting edge as we actually got into some good positions and the mis-direction at a corner in the 1st half was actually very good play. Two players bought the dummy leading to the chance :clap:

Creative Redemption
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Creative Redemption » Monday 06th 2017f November 2017 12:24:55 PM

We should have won, but considering we are 2nd bottom, I will take a point.
Not getting a hardon over Longridge. He ran about, as thats what Harris does, who I dont actually mind that much.
I also dont get the fan fare over Dunne. He has no end product, and I really hope that comes, or he will just be another Scott Shepard.
Shepard used to have great pace and take players on and we all thought he was going to be a really good player - look what happened.
I would add that Dunne has all the potential in the world, but until he actually shows the right pass, or the killer instinct in front of goal, he is a young boy running about the park with passion. Good on him, but we need more, and he needs to learn quickly, or he will end up on the scrap heap like Sheps, and probably O Hara too the way things are going.
I feel for Loy, he is desperate to find that spark, but its just not there at the moment. If he gets it back, it will be like a new winter transfer window signing......
Hippo had one of poor perfomances, but thats what you get from him, brilliance or bogging. We got the latter on Saturday.
Big weeks ahead and hopefull we can start getting away from the bottom of the table. I thought that top 4 was a possibility, but I think it muight be out of reach now. Mid table will do me fine and lets have a go next season.
I like Hartley.(I didnt think I would EVER say that about him). No nonsense and he can see what we need to do.
Deary me Housty, you left us in some nick.
Onwards and upwards.
Here comes the doom.

Brian Scrimegour
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Brian Scrimegour » Monday 06th 2017f November 2017 04:50:36 PM

Hippo is always at his worst when he's trying too hard. He's the same sometimes when he plays livie and the crowd start giving him a bit of jip. He starts trying to score worldies instead of just relaxing and playing his normal game.