Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Re: Waste and dross

Post by Dade » Friday 27th 2017f October 2017 01:07:04 PM

Brian Scrimegour wrote:
Friday 27th 2017f October 2017 12:53:21 PM
Only Olaf could get so many bites talking about a situation that we know hee haw about. :D
If he's honestly just looking for bites then he's totally pathetic.

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Friday 27th 2017f October 2017 01:37:23 PM

I just said Loy has been a waste money in a squad full of waste and dross. I added 1 month is too long to be out for personal reasons and the loons on here trot out every conceivable personal reason that might make one sympathetic to having 1 month leave.

I stand by what I posted- Loy and Sibbald have been a colossal waste of money this season. see our league position and their performances for evidence.
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

AL_bairn
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by AL_bairn » Friday 27th 2017f October 2017 02:57:47 PM

Olaf Thom wrote:
Friday 27th 2017f October 2017 01:37:23 PM
I just said Loy has been a waste money in a squad full of waste and dross. I added 1 month is too long to be out for personal reasons and the loons on here trot out every conceivable personal reason that might make one sympathetic to having 1 month leave.

I stand by what I posted- Loy and Sibbald have been a colossal waste of money this season. see our league position and their performances for evidence.
Too late to backtrack now sunshine. You should be removed from this forum for good!

kemlinbairn
Under 18 superstar
Under 18 superstar

Post by kemlinbairn » Friday 27th 2017f October 2017 04:38:55 PM

Olaf Thom wrote:
Friday 27th 2017f October 2017 01:37:23 PM

If you think your choice of word -loons - is an attempt to be funny then your more of a idiot than I first thought

ellonbairn
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by ellonbairn » Friday 27th 2017f October 2017 05:46:22 PM

Maybe he's originally from the North East

John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by John Markie » Thursday 02nd 2017f November 2017 12:08:56 AM

Time for a clear out, so who do we keep and who goes? This is how I rate them....

Goalkeepers
Thomson – decent shot-stopper and not all that prone to making glaring mistakes every week. Like all modern keepers seems to prefer staying on his line at corners and set pieces. His distribution is the big problem, as its way too slow, often inaccurate and allows other teams to get set before he initiates the moves.
Mitchell – as good a shot stopper as Thomson, but has the added benefit of having a better command of his area and an ability to set us moving much more quickly than Thomson. Looks like this season is a right off though with his injury.
Mutch – Not quite as good a shot stopper as the other two, but still young and learning. Is capable of saving a penalty then equally capable of giving away the simplest of goals. Youth on his side and another year at least in u20’s beckons.

Defenders
Muirhead – First choice as right back, yet has neither the pace, passing, crossing or even defensive know-how to be a competent full back. He’s a centre back who has a long throw and can take a decent penalty. Is that enough to warrant being kept on?
Kidd – really never had a decent run in the team, but although nowhere near fast enough, he does know how to play the full back role positionally and takes a good free kick. Bearing in mind he has only ever been used as back up to Muirhead (who is a sh1t right back) his future looks bleak.
Finlayson – Tall laddie with decent pace and always tries to get forward. For such a powerful looking laddie is not keen on tackling or using his physicality to best effect. Poor tackler, but very pacy.
McGhee – Centre back or full back? Probably the former is his preferred, because he is not the quickest nor most attacking minded. With a bit of work on his passing and pace he’s got the ability to be a good right back. Almost certain to stay as he is versatile and better than the rest of the defence with maybe one exception.
Ballatoni – Our most competent centre back. Rarely loses any headers at the back, can tackle and keeps his passing simple and effective. Only negative is his pace which is very poor. If I was in charge he’d be club captain. Certain to stay if we can afford to keep him.
Grant – Has gone backwards after his injury interrupted start to last season. Beginning to get back to something approaching his best in partnership with Ballatoni. A wee bit too pedestrian and predictable in his passing (in that he can’t actually pass at all).
Gasparotto – Hasn’t really done anything too wrong in many games, but he can’t break into the team against any of the regulars. Too slow to play full back, and only any use as an emergency cover player, unable to star in even u20’s games. Competent but back up only, so why keep him?
Watson – Yet another centre back who is really only half decent, and not really up to the standard required. Wins headers, but is weak on the deck against any pace. Probably the best passer out of the back up centre backs and Grant, but think his time is up.
Gallacher – Our only left back and his inexperience shows all too often. The laddie needs to learn when to tackle (and how to), and his final third play is suspect with overhit crosses or poor decision making the norm. In that respect he has everything in common with Muirhead.
Henderson – doing pretty well in development league games, playing as left sided centre back or left sided midfield. Puts himself about but clearly not doing enough in training to even make the bench for first team. Looks like he will need shifted on.

Midfielders
Harris – A powderpuff winger, who causes more problems for his own defence than the opposition defence. No final product when he eventually gets himself into advanced positions, except the inevitable skied cross or mishit. Is it just lack of confidence?
Kerr – A player two seasons past his sell by date. I would imagine he could be useful to bring on in a game we were two up in and didn’t need to create anything, and that won’t be happening this season. Other than that he is a liability. Can no longer run, can’t tackle, and his shooting is so bad that he no longer even pretends to try and have a shot. The king of lateral and backwards passing.
Taiwo – the only midfielder we have who can tackle. Other than that he offers very little. Isn’t creative enough, often can’t get into games and isn’t particularly quick. No idea why he was given a new contract, but then he’s 10 times the player Kerr is, and he also got a new deal from Houston.
Blues – Is making heavy weather of things this season. No longer outstanding in development games, easily being bypassed. Appears very clumsy and his first touch and speed over 10 yards has gone backwards too. A confidence issue?
Craigen – Possibly the worst player I have seen being given a deal at Falkirk. He has zero pace, zero dribbling ability, zero ball control, is as weak as p1sswater, whilst his passing and crossing aren’t much better. I have seen him have quite a few good set piece deliveries though, so that must have been what Houston saw in him. Maybe?
McKee – Initially very good especially in partnership with Sibbald in the heart of midfield. And yet this season he has once again gone backwards like so many others. He now looks like a clone of Mark Kerr, slowly morphing into the backward passing slow moving negative player we have come to expect from every Falkirk midfielder.
Hippolyte – probably our most exciting player and also our most frustrating. There is no doubt he has ability, can shoot, cross, pass, dribble and equally he can be as poor as Craigen, unable to stay on his feet in the penalty box, unable to hit a barn door at 3 feet, etc. If we could get even two or three games of him playing at his best we might get ourselves out of the mess we are in. Our only player who has the imagination to win a game on his own.
Sibbald – A dreadful start to the season then injured. For his own good it would have been better for him to move on in summer. Needs to just get back to full fitness, buckle down and get on with the job. Probably our most creative midfielder, yet lacks the speed and aggression needed to move up in class.

Forwards
Loy – pretty awful after his first good 25 minutes at Paisley. Is this all down to personal issues and his rib injuries? So far he has offered absolutely nothing to the team, creating nothing, and not being sharp enough to even get into goal scoring positions, never mind converting them. Must be doing something in training to get a game, but that reflects on how bad the others are.
Miller – Probably our most competent striker. Can hold the ball up, good in the air, and can finish when he gets the chance. Fitness obviously an issue in his advancing years, and its clear an hour is the absolute max you could expect from him nowadays.
O’Hara – A lad with frightening pace, but the physique of a 12 year old. Too easily shrugged off the ball and out muscled by big defenders, plus his close control at times is shockingly bad for a professional football player. If he plays and we get him and the ball in the box at the same time, he will get us goals. No supply means no goals which isn’t entirely his fault.
Austin – Should be good in the air but isn’t, should be able to leave defenders for dead, but often can’t. Has some ability, but again, don’t give him the ball in the box, then he won’t score. He’s a bit rough and ready, and goes down too easy, so needs to toughen up (a lot).
Shepherd – Not really been given much of a chance, but when he does play he looks too small and weak to be effective. Do we only sign small weak players? I had high hopes for him a couple of seasons ago but unless he starts scoring barrowloads for Edinburgh City then probably the last we will see of him.

I’ve not seen enough of Dunne to make judgement, but he has been average the times I have seen him in u20 games. The best of the young kids are Jonny Mitchell (right back/centre back/right midfield) and Connor McBride (striker). Mitchell looks like a leader on the park, and McBride looks like a wee skinny runt but he is a wiry wee character who is tougher than he looks. Langton (winger) can be excellent and terrible in equal measure but has pace and terrific desire. Reis Peggie is a decent central/left sided midfielder and rightfully is captain of development squad, as he always puts 100% into games. The rest are quite young and always seem much smaller than their opponents in development games – maybe thats why we get them – too slight for bigger teams.
Drastic squad trim coming and maybe even that won’t be enough to save this season, never mind the next.
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

JaxinFalkirk
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by JaxinFalkirk » Thursday 02nd 2017f November 2017 02:25:56 PM

Wow JM are your morphing into Olaf???? :roll:

Being serious however you have a reasonably accurate assessment of where things are at which can only point to a total clear out over the next two windows.

dixie chicken
International Sub
International Sub

Post by dixie chicken » Thursday 02nd 2017f November 2017 02:55:35 PM

Great analysis by Alba.
Maybe a little over harsh on some as with more complimentary players along side, a few could be a lot better.
Houston’s signings never seemed to recognise that football is a team game and needs different skills and different talents in a variety of positions.

Brian Scrimegour
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Brian Scrimegour » Thursday 02nd 2017f November 2017 03:46:21 PM

I wouldnt say that o'hara has the physique of a 12 year old. Hes filled out quite a bit . He's just a bit shoot these days.