Falkirk v St Mirren

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
havenbairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Falkirk v St Mirren

Post by havenbairn » Friday 20th 2017f October 2017 08:49:07 AM

This will be a tough match against the current league leaders.

Even at this early stage, a gap of 17 points would surely mean we can forget about automatic promotion this season.

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Re: Falkirk v St Mirren

Post by Dade » Friday 20th 2017f October 2017 11:23:30 AM

I think we can already forget about it to be honest. I think the 3 points is more important in creating a gap between us and relegation at the moment.

I really hope Hartley changes our shape for this game and finds a way to get our best players playing in their favoured positions.

rusty_nail
First Team sub
First Team sub

Post by rusty_nail » Friday 20th 2017f October 2017 12:14:53 PM

Pessimistic about this one I'm afraid.

St.Mirren look like they have the bit between their teeth and are dealing with the expectation that should exist when you want to win this league.

On the other-hand, we're still finding our best XI and confidence I suspect is probably still fragile. I'd love a result tomorrow but can't see it.
Contemplating the future of One F in Falkirk

kent brockman
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by kent brockman » Saturday 21st 2017f October 2017 07:59:42 AM

As stated elsewhere, Paul Hartley does not have a magic wand. He is still dealing with the same group of players and his only realistic target will be to reach the play-offs.

It certainly wont be "our time" this season, and hopefully behind the scenes we are already planning for next season.
Its not the taking part that counts......its the WINNING.

Sir Jones
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Sir Jones » Saturday 21st 2017f October 2017 09:38:31 AM

Hartley will be doing very well to get us into the playoffs in my opinion. Far too much damage done in Q1.

As for today - not feeling good about it at all. Had Houston been in charge then I would be expecting a solid pumping. Hartely with a full 2 weeks to drill his message into them? A tough one to call but St Mirren are certainly the favourites.

I expect we'll make it tough for St Mirren but they aren't the useless turds going forward like ICT were.
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Saturday 21st 2017f October 2017 12:18:22 PM

First game I can actually make after being abroad for while, but really cannot be arsed and can see a pumping.

It is an utter disgrace that in the space of just over 6 six months we have swapped places with St Mirren. Houston really was a lazy scumbag!
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

AL_bairn
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by AL_bairn » Saturday 21st 2017f October 2017 12:36:12 PM

Olaf Thom wrote:
Saturday 21st 2017f October 2017 12:18:22 PM
First game I can actually make after being abroad for while, but really cannot be arsed and can see a pumping.

It is an utter disgrace that in the space of just over 6 six months we have swapped places with St Mirren. Houston really was a lazy scumbag!

Scumbag? you really are a nice fella Olaf!

rusty_nail
First Team sub
First Team sub

Post by rusty_nail » Saturday 21st 2017f October 2017 05:35:15 PM

kent brockman wrote:
Saturday 21st 2017f October 2017 07:59:42 AM

It certainly wont be "our time" this season, and hopefully behind the scenes we are already planning for next season.
Marketing:"This time (really)" :?: :roll:
Contemplating the future of One F in Falkirk

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Saturday 21st 2017f October 2017 06:36:57 PM

Well..... we did QUITE well..... I think, despite their Goalie not making a save.

It’s clear Scumbag Houston, yes Scumbag! has well and truly screwed us, it appears Hartley knows this too, which is a bit of a relief and he’s trying - he gave the lad Dunne a go, he made the wingers change wings and encouraged. It’s not his fault he has inherited ponderous, insipid midfielders with the likes of Craigen, Kerr and to lesser extent McKee.

Kerr passes the ball backwards and sideways so often it’s embarrassing - at least 3 times, he gives poor McGhee doing his best out of position the ball on his weaker side whilst under the pressure of one the leagues best players in Morgan. Utterly bonkers.

We’re a poor team, look at the wasted money and wages in this squad. It’s disgusting!
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Saturday 21st 2017f October 2017 07:42:53 PM

been away recently so not been to a game for a whe however went away from the game feeling okay today despite not scoring or winning and games and positions in the league slipping away fast already.

didn't think there were any failures today and it's good to see us getting plenty of shots at the goals now and keeping clean sheets.

their bench were urging them to take their time with throw ins etc as league leaders was very surprised to see them play like that and makes this season all the more frustrating for us.

good to see the young lad come on and play with confidence. Austin causes the opposition problems with his speed and awkward running style however his finishing and decision making needs more composure. loy and sibbald were watching from the main stand still want to know what's going on there. good crowd at over 5000. defence breezed the game. would Still like to see us work our corners better like st mirrens today. programme still rubbish and that's the last one I'm buying.

hopefully we can still make the play offs and be improving enough to be the team no one wants in them
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

Kiddy
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Kiddy » Saturday 21st 2017f October 2017 08:35:22 PM

Game improved immeasurably when Dunne came on. Gave movement, anticipation, tackled well, passed well. Can see him starting next week.
That Hartley has watched for two weeks & been confident enough to put this lad on bodes well for those playing for the Development side.
Decent performance from the rest, but still much to improve on. Two top drawer saves by Robbbie kept us in it.
A slow improvement, but in the right direction.
No financial regulation, no corporate governance, no enlarged divisions, no summer football, no single ruling body, no new cash, no integrity. Behold the 'bright new dawn' for Scottish football,

John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by John Markie » Saturday 21st 2017f October 2017 08:43:12 PM

More or less agree with Olaf here. That midfield is woeful. You'd be hard pressed to get one decent midfielder out of the lot of them put together. Craigen (who I feel is simply just not good enough) tried really hard and to be fair to him, put in a fair amount of decent runs, found space intelligently and drove forward whenever he could. McKee has it in his locker to be the key man that Kerr once was many moons ago, yet he seems to lack confidence, but then paired with Kerr, he likely has one eye on Kerr making a fcuk up and him having to scramble to help out. Harris has pace to burn, yet so often gets 10 yards of speed on, then stops and looks indecisive, invariably making a c0ck of things and setting us on the back foot. Hippo is wasted wide, and most of his best work is when he is bearing down through the middle, although often his decision making is honking. Kerr is just past-it which is a shame as he was a great player a few seasons back - this is just one season too many for him. Today showed just how far off the pace of the game he is - caught in possession, constantly turning back to face his defence and just generally being a liability in the heart of midfield. Dunne (who I never thought too much off in the development squad) did excellently when he came on, and certainly looked far more at ease than the likes of Blues who has had a few chances, and he was much more direct and effective than Harris. Up front Austin had a better game than many of his recent performances, although all too often isolated and ploughing a lone furrow. The back four are much more solid than when Gallacher plays, but I feel the youngster might fare better at left wing back in a back 5, with McGhee at right back which is obviously his better position. O'Hara and Miller did their bit but never looked likely to trouble the St Mirren defence. Thomson did great with a couple of very good saves, but dear god how painful it is to see his dreadful distribution nearly every time. Even Muirhead who usually is poor against tricky wingers did ok today, but MotM for me was Balatoni who was an absolute rock at the back.

I have a feeling we will see more of this turgid stuffy stuff up until January at least as we hopefully begin clawing our way out of relegation trouble. I don't see this squad having anywhere near the quality of making the playoffs (except where we are now at the bottom). But Hartley has made us hard to beat and that may just about be enough to eek out a mid table finish with maybe a shuffle of a few players in January. Really the only question is, just who would buy/take any of our current squad over their own squad players at the minute? Maybe we could off load a few to a team a league below but we wouldn't be able to get any cash from anyone for any Falkirk player right now. No ratings today other than to say Kerr was way below par, and Balatoni was head and shoulders our best player, but everyone else was just ok - say a 6/10 - with the other two mentioned maybe a couple either side of that.
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Ricey » Saturday 21st 2017f October 2017 10:21:11 PM

Personally thought there were more positives than negatives from today's game. Another clean sheet and a much improved performance than last weeks. I thought Craigen had a good game and was unlucky to be subbed. Harris was poor and so too was Kerr. Young Dunne can be very pleased with his debut and with the right handling could be a real find. Interesting the way Mick Mccardle handled dunne today giving him a lot of support and waiting to chat to him at the end. I think having the academy director involved with the first team helps the young lads coming in with the support of someone who knows them inside out.

Balatoni had a good game and hippo is a constant handful for defenders. With Loy apparently close to a return I think we could be on the verge of a break through. A win at Dumfries next week is very possible and from there it's onwards and upwards.

Nobody is that good in this league it's there for anyone who can put a run together and it's not beyond us

kennyboy
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by kennyboy » Sunday 22nd 2017f October 2017 10:41:20 AM

I think the best signing Houston made in his time here must be Balatoni.

Ranaldo Bairn
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Ranaldo Bairn » Sunday 22nd 2017f October 2017 10:59:08 AM

I'd argue McGhee but both are tremendous bits of business, and hats off to Houston for getting them.

It's just a pity it was far far too late to rescue his stewardship.
"You, who have destroyed so much - can you name even one thing you have created? I thought not. There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue Physicist."

AL_bairn
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by AL_bairn » Sunday 22nd 2017f October 2017 11:44:21 AM

Much improved yesterday and a step in the right direction. With Sibbald and Loy to come back in and hopefully Hartley getting a few of his own players in I don't think we're far away from being a decent side again.

I think it's about time Olaf told onef what Houston has done to him. He must have pumped his missus or something :lol:

Creative Redemption
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Creative Redemption » Sunday 22nd 2017f October 2017 08:10:06 PM

Hartley has got his work cut out.
Square pegs in round holes all over the park, but that is due to Houston’s awful signings over the last year and not addressing areas where we were short.
The tempo from us was excellent with no real failures. Kerr really struggles over the last 20 mins of a game, and it’s only then he tires badly and misplaced passes become more regular, more down to poor decision making when tiring.
I might be the only person who wasn’t AS impressed with young Dunn as others are. Don’t get me wrong, to be on the first team at that age is superb, and I have nothing bad to say about the lad, but I remember Sheps being the exact same when he burst on to the scene. Full of energy and passion, and look what happened there.
I just felt the young lad miscontrolled a couple of passes, and gave the ball away a couple of times. It just wasn’t as sparkling as some are saying IMO, but well done, he really gave it everything and could have scored.
Things going in the right direction.
Here comes the doom.

Duncan Freemason
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Duncan Freemason » Monday 23rd 2017f October 2017 01:17:26 PM

Congrats to Hartley for quickly managing to stop the rot. A bit of tweaking is never going to turn this squad into league winners, as there are way too many pieces of the jigsaw completely missing. I am sure Hartley will make do and mend for a while, but he will know well enough those he wants to bring in, and those who really need to move on. Interesting times ahead.

ellonbairn
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by ellonbairn » Monday 23rd 2017f October 2017 01:52:59 PM

I thought Thomson and Balatoni were our best players. Balatoni appears to be a calming influence on the park and he strolled through most of the game. Kerr wasn't great but I think some of the comments are a bit harsh as I thought, overall, he was the best of an average midfield. We didn't really look like scoring, so a point was okay in a fairly even contest. I hope Hartley can find a formula for scoring goals soon, as the finishing was woeful.