Post by dixie chicken » Tuesday 04th 2017f July 2017 05:53:25 PM

He's back

Honest Al
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Re: Rory Loy

Post by Honest Al » Tuesday 04th 2017f July 2017 06:11:28 PM

Well, knock me down with a feather!!!!

Brilliant signing, and for me that should complete the squad.
Young Gallagher at left back (albeit no obvious backup), but no need to panic into signing a journeyman.....

Guess Sibbs may move on but it'll take hard cash for that to happen, and it's looking increasingly unlikely.
You know with Austin and Loy upfront, Falkirk will take a lot of beating in the Championship.

I reckon with this squad, we'll win the league. There, I've gone and said it!!

Flash
Under 18 superstar
Under 18 superstar

Post by Flash » Tuesday 04th 2017f July 2017 06:11:52 PM

Fantastic news

AL_bairn
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by AL_bairn » Tuesday 04th 2017f July 2017 06:24:57 PM

Loy and Austin easily best strike partnership in the league. :)

Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Ricey » Tuesday 04th 2017f July 2017 06:35:39 PM

At last some positivity! Excellent news and I hope still more signings to come. Loy should link up well with Austin or Miller although for gods sake keep him off the penalties. Wide midfielders and full backs are the priority now

JinkySneakz
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by JinkySneakz » Tuesday 04th 2017f July 2017 07:01:18 PM

jizzing. :D
Baird, Baird, Super Baird, Super John Baird

Honest Al
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Honest Al » Tuesday 04th 2017f July 2017 07:02:02 PM

Ricey wrote:At last some positivity! Excellent news and I hope still more signings to come. Loy should link up well with Austin or Miller although for gods sake keep him off the penalties. Wide midfielders and full backs are the priority now
Steady on.

Wide midfielders? What, in addition to Harris and Hippolyte, and to a lesser extent McKee and Sibbald?
For a Championship club, our full backs will have to do - Muirhead, Kidd, Gallagher with young Finlayson looking to break through.
We've a strong looking squad now, with Blues, O'Hara and Shephard also looking to push on into the starting line up.

Now, as long as Grant is still there, onwards and upwards!

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Tuesday 04th 2017f July 2017 07:23:12 PM

Honest Al wrote:
Ricey wrote:At last some positivity! Excellent news and I hope still more signings to come. Loy should link up well with Austin or Miller although for gods sake keep him off the penalties. Wide midfielders and full backs are the priority now
Steady on.

Wide midfielders? What, in addition to Harris and Hippolyte, and to a lesser extent McKee and Sibbald?
For a Championship club, our full backs will have to do - Muirhead, Kidd, Gallagher with young Finlayson looking to break through.
We've a strong looking squad now, with Blues, O'Hara and Shephard also looking to push on into the starting line up.

I agree in that it's a good squad now. Maybe an out an out right back could complete it but happy with what we've got. You're far too optimistic in declaring us champions though. Sure you said something similar in the playoffs. I'll just wait and see but hope you're right

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Tuesday 04th 2017f July 2017 07:42:26 PM

Great signing and assuming no more out first team could be

-------------------------thompson-----------------------

Muirhead-----watson(gaspo)-----grant-----gallacher

-----------------------mckee (taiwo/kerr)--------------

Harris (Shepherd/craigen)--------------------hippo

-----------------------------sibbald (craigen)----------------

--------------austin (miller)----------------loy (ohara)------
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

Brian Scrimegour
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Brian Scrimegour » Tuesday 04th 2017f July 2017 07:57:56 PM

We're still weak at rb and have no real backup left back. Muirhead okay as a makeshift there but we saw against du when it comes to the real crunch he's not good enough in that position.

Honest Al
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Honest Al » Tuesday 04th 2017f July 2017 08:20:13 PM

Dade wrote:
Honest Al wrote:
Steady on.

I agree in that it's a good squad now. Maybe an out an out right back could complete it but happy with what we've got. You're far too optimistic in declaring us champions though. Sure you said something similar in the playoffs. I'll just wait and see but hope you're right
Yes, you're right Dade as I couldn't see us lose to DU - then Grant got injured and didn't play.
Hence my get out comment regarding our rock solid centre half.

Honest Al
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Honest Al » Tuesday 04th 2017f July 2017 08:25:06 PM

Bridge of Allan Bairn wrote:Great signing and assuming no more out first team could be

-----------------------mckee (taiwo/kerr)--------------

Harris (Shepherd/craigen)--------------------hippo

-----------------------------sibbald (craigen)----------------

--------------austin (miller)----------------loy (ohara)------
I think Houston will be a bit more conservative..

-----------------------taiwo-------------

---McKee--(Harris)---------------------------------hippo

--------------------------Craigen-----------

--------------austin (miller)----------------loy (ohara)----

Assuming Sibbs move on....

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Tuesday 04th 2017f July 2017 08:48:27 PM

True Honest Al but from my experiences I always like to stay on the wait and see side. Appreciate your optimism though.

It may be controversial but I would have been happy keeping Kidd as right back or for cover. I know he wasn't looked on too fondly but the few times I saw him I thought he was a lot better than was otherwise suggested. The best part is he knows the position well. I posted many stats during the last season as to our defensive record with Kidd in the team and it seemed we lost a lot less goals with him starting at right back. Ofcourse that can't be solely attributed to him but he must have some influence on it. I think the most important factor is his positioning is really good, well especially compared to Muirhead anyway. If you look at the 3-2 Rangers game you'll see how many chances came down our right and how easy it was for them to make a through ball in that area.

If not Kidd then we definitely need someone who is an out and out right back anyway.
Last edited by Dade on Wednesday 05th 2017f July 2017 04:08:46 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Tuesday 04th 2017f July 2017 08:49:00 PM

I think you are right Houston is more likely to play yoyr side however I'd like more attacking intent thus season especially at home and away against the bottom sides with two holding more defensive midfiders only for the top half of the league away games
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

kennyboy
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by kennyboy » Tuesday 04th 2017f July 2017 09:18:21 PM

Well Olaf is this a lazy Houston signing as you usually put it. I Think it is a good one

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Tuesday 04th 2017f July 2017 09:38:20 PM

kennyboy wrote:Well Olaf is this a lazy Houston signing as you usually put it. I Think it is a good one
Every manager in the league is lazy using Olaf's criteria which basically states anyone recommended by a friend or in Scotland is a lazy signing.

Quidsin
Experianced Manager
Experianced Manager

Post by Quidsin » Tuesday 04th 2017f July 2017 10:29:02 PM

I'm assuming Sibbs is staying:

------------Thompson
Kidd----Muirhead-----Grant----Gallacher
---Hippo----McKee---Taiwo----Sibbs
-----------Loy-------Austin

Subs: Craigen, Gaspo, Miller, Kerr, OHara, Sheps, Finlayson, Watson, Harris, Henderson, Mitchell.

Kidd's in there as he's a natural RB and Muirhead better at CB I think.

Helluva squad we have there and plenty room to rotate and keep players fresh.
SAFE TERRACING FOR TFS EAST STAND.
"Falkirk Flyfishing, my name yes, it's Paul J Hartley"

Honest Al
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Honest Al » Tuesday 04th 2017f July 2017 10:56:51 PM

Quidsin wrote:
Helluva squad we have there and plenty room to rotate and keep players fresh.
Yes, my thoughts too.
I really don't think we need to bring anyone else in. Sure, in an ideal world, bigger budget, we could all think of 3 or 4 (the lad Devlin for example) that would improve the team, but we need to leave some scope for our u20s to progress into.

Leaves a wee bit of the budget for a loan signing if a key player is injured.

Of course if Sibbs leaves, I think Housty has his eye on Stanton - who I think would do well here.

Creative Redemption
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Creative Redemption » Wednesday 05th 2017f July 2017 05:11:10 AM

Ok, profit of doom time.
Here is my one and only reservation about the Loy/Austen partnership, and I may be miles off the mark.

If Lee Miller were to play with Austen, he would bring him on this year in so many ways, and I could see Austen scoring 15-20 goals, possibly. Miller would sacrifice himself to create space and lay on chances for Austen.
Loy, on the other hand is an out and out striker, and will be looking to grab the 15+ goals tally, and I can see Austen struggling to get 8 goals or so. It's not really an issue that Loy scores the goals, it's that Austen is our future, and from remembering Loy from previous, he will go for goal at EVERY opportunity, leaving Austen isolated. I'd rather Austen had a foil FOR HIM, rather than the other way about, as I can actually see Austen creating the space and opportunities for Loy with his aerial ability and harassing the defenders etc.
If we are up there come the end of the season and Loy has got us there, then great, but I want Austen to be our next sellible asset, and becoming a 7 or 8 goals a season player won't make him that, and I could see him becoming disinterested and not progress.
Like I say, I could be miles off the mark, and this becomes a Shearer/Ferdinand type partnership with both benefitting, but I do have concerns that as much as I think Loy is a great signing, it could be to the detriment of Austen, which I don't want. That lad has something about him, and I'm really looking forward to hopefully watching him progress with us.
Here comes the doom.

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Wednesday 05th 2017f July 2017 07:02:50 AM

kennyboy wrote:Well Olaf is this a lazy Houston signing as you usually put it. I Think it is a good one
I'm pleased he's signed but it's an even lazier signing for Houston.
Rory was here when he arrived and now he has re-signed him - another signing that doesn't add value, he has little resale value.
Where is Houston's scouting ability? The third best team in the country beaten by part timers last night. Scottish players are poor, better to look abroad.
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.