Get Houston OUT

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Re: Get Houston OUT

Post by Olaf Thom » Friday 30th 2017f June 2017 03:09:14 PM

I don't know the budgets, access to agents or other people in the game and what would be the point anyway? you would just argue he's not better than Harris or something.

So Stick to facts : The best outfield players we have signed in the past few seasons have been Farid, Taylor, Vaulks, Leahy and Grant Where did these players come from?
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

Honest Al
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Honest Al » Friday 30th 2017f June 2017 03:26:30 PM

I'm confused, perhaps someone close to the club could explain.

Yesterday Peter Houston is quoted as saying
"Even if nobody comes in there is still an opportunity for us to be challenging for the play-offs".

It was only a few days prior that the club published a far more optimistic message to fans on the official club website....under the Our Time banner.
Club CEO Campbell also included "We are determined to go one better this coming season." in his pre season rallying call.

So, what is the aim? To top the table or to be challenging for play-offs?

Edit : sorry to a previous poster (Olaf) who made the same point!

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Friday 30th 2017f June 2017 03:37:21 PM

Olaf Thom wrote: don't know the budgets, access to agents or other people in the game and what would be the point anyway?

So now you don't know all these thing but yet still determined that we should be signing people that no other teams with bigger budgets are signing.

you would just argue he's not better than Harris or something.

name at least one then and we'll see!

So Stick to facts : The best outfield players we have signed in the past few seasons have been Farid, Taylor, Vaulks, Leahy and Grant Where did these players come from?

Lithuania? Poland? A great vast scouting network? Managers travelling far and wide to watch them or just people who were recommended to us, offered to play for free or were looking for a trial?

Also as we are sticking to the 'facts' which manager had Vaulks and Leahy playing their best football? Where did our team finish with these players in a worse league?

One more, who scored more league goals in their first full season, John Baird or Farid El Alagui?

Olaf Thom
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Olaf Thom » Friday 30th 2017f June 2017 04:40:22 PM

So now you don't know all these thing but yet still determined that we should be signing people that no other teams with bigger budgets are signing.
I don't care what other clubs do, I know our wage bill and the average wage of other leagues. Scottish football is crap, other teams in other countries are better - why not sign them? Again why should we copy others, we should do our own thing.
Lithuania? Poland? A great vast scouting network? Managers travelling far and wide to watch them or just people who were recommended to us, offered to play for free or were looking for a trial?

Also as we are sticking to the 'facts' which manager had Vaulks and Leahy playing their best football? Where did our team finish with these players in a worse league?
Recruitment is far more important than coaching. You can't teach stupid, you cannot improve physical attributes. Houston's budget is far higher than Pressley and Holts, yet they signed better players - England is inflated market, but if we can find guys and convince them to join us, we should do that. We should not sign a single person from Scotland.
Houston's first season we finished 5th you know! Don't think we were that bad under Elvis.
One more, who scored more league goals in their first full season, John Baird or Farid El Alagui?
Yeah okay, Farid and a bunch of kids on buttons vs Baird and Houston's gang of journeymen jobbers on nearly twice the salary. A real achievement. Who do we look back most fondly on? Who did more for the club?
Learn to quote FFS!
Why not start with the man of the match from last nights St Johnstone game : Oscar Dorley from Liberia, is 18 so potential for resale ( Has any of Houstons signings been anything but dead money)
Ibrahima Tandia
Liviu Antal
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

arcticpuffin
Under 18 first team
Under 18 first team

Post by arcticpuffin » Friday 30th 2017f June 2017 05:12:05 PM

Olaf Thom wrote:
I don't care what other clubs do, I know our wage bill and the average wage of other leagues. Scottish football is crap, other teams in other countries are better - why not sign them? Again why should we copy others, we should do our own thing.

Blah, blah, blah, lazy Houston, blah, blah, blah, lazy Houston, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, lazy Houston, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah and more never ending crap !!

Recruitment is far more important than coaching. You can't teach stupid, you cannot improve physical attributes. Houston's budget is far higher than Pressley and Holts, yet they signed better players - England is inflated market, but if we can find guys and convince them to join us, we should do that. We should not sign a single person from Scotland.
Houston's first season we finished 5th you know! Don't think we were that bad under Elvis.
Yeah okay, Farid and a bunch of kids on buttons vs Baird and Houston's gang of journeymen jobbers on nearly twice the salary. A real achievement. Who do we look back most fondly on? Who did more for the club?
Learn to quote FFS!
Why not start with the man of the match from last nights St Johnstone game : Oscar Dorley from Liberia, is 18 so potential for resale ( Has any of Houstons signings been anything but dead money)
Ibrahima Tandia
Liviu Antal

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Friday 30th 2017f June 2017 06:16:54 PM

What is our wage bill then and tell us what the wage bill was under Presley Holt since you know so much!

As you regularly like to do, you have chosen to forget that Houston had Rangers, Hearts and Hibs to contend with in just first season. Yes he finished below Queens but it was bettter than finishing below Dunfermline and Raith Rovers.

How many foreign duds have arrived in Scotland over the years? Do you seriously think that just buying a foreign player would result in success and do you seriously think that any foreign player worth their salt has went unnoticed by other clubs and will just happen to be available for little money for Falkirk? Personally I'm happier to go down the tried and tested route of finding people who know the league and are more than capable performers. Yes I'd love us to unearth a Messi but I'm realistic and know that it's better to build a good squad than try focus finding one or two players who can turn it on now and again. Can't remember McCall bringing any foreigners in. Samuel certainly wasn't anything to do with him anyway.
Farid with cheaper players compared to Baird who had to play 8 games vs Hibs and Rangers. Admittedly Baird had less of a relationship with fans but his worth in goals was just as good if not better in his first full season.

Tania, Antal? You think on one games performance that we should sign them and you think there club will just hand them over?

Bula Bairn
First Team superstar
First Team superstar

Post by Bula Bairn » Friday 30th 2017f June 2017 07:59:23 PM

We got all the excuses when Rangers, Hearts and Hibs were in the league and now we're getting excuses that our budget's been cut because they're no longer here!!

The £120k figure attributed to losing Hibs is just nonsense - wouldn't even been half that and it's the same for everyone else anyway!

Also, Tommy Wright said all the other teams in Europe had technically better players so don't see the issue with Olaf's posts. The fact they are technically better is just down to work ethic - nothing more complicated than that!

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Friday 30th 2017f June 2017 09:27:15 PM

I don't really understand the budget cut chat either to be honest but if true then that's an issue that the board has to address.

Having Hearts, Hibs and Rangers in the group is no excuse though, it's just being realistic that we shouldn't expect to challenge these teams and surely you have to give credit when we do.

Olafs point is always better the devil you don't know which can be a hard point to argue as it always states there's someone better out there which is obviously always going to be the case for Falkirk. as far as I'm aware though Falkirk has no European scouting network and not much money to spend on transfers.

Brian Scrimegour
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Brian Scrimegour » Friday 30th 2017f June 2017 10:43:03 PM

Surely that's why you need a manager with decent contacts. Was never a fan of Pressley but he undoubtedly had better contacts than the current incumbent, as did Hughes before him which is very surprising considering Houston's job as a scout and assistant for Scotland before that. To me that's been the most disappointing thing about his reign.

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Saturday 01st 2017f July 2017 12:06:03 AM

Brian Scrimegour wrote:Surely that's why you need a manager with decent contacts. Was never a fan of Pressley but he undoubtedly had better contacts than the current incumbent, as did Hughes before him which is very surprising considering Houston's job as a scout and assistant for Scotland before that. To me that's been the most disappointing thing about his reign.
I can't disagree with that too much but then again I feel more secure with Houston in charge than Pressley. Pressley had contacts but it's not like all his signings were great either. Even Highinbotham got a decent amount of stick during his time here.

Since Houston's first transfer window, where he completely misjudged this league, I haven't had too much complaint with his signings. Ok some have been a little uninspiring but he's managed to get them doing well and getting beyond any realistic expectation.

AL_bairn
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by AL_bairn » Saturday 01st 2017f July 2017 08:35:09 AM

To be fair I'm starting to get frustrated by the lack of signings but there is still a long way to go. This season will be make or break for Houston, he definitely deserves the chance to get us up next season after finishing 2nd behind two teams that budgets dwarfed ours.

I'd rather we had Houston in charge than Jack Ross who seems to be the new messiah for some reason.

Falkirkbairn90
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Falkirkbairn90 » Saturday 01st 2017f July 2017 09:46:32 AM

AL_bairn wrote:To be fair I'm starting to get frustrated by the lack of signings but there is still a long way to go. This season will be make or break for Houston, he definitely deserves the chance to get us up next season after finishing 2nd behind two teams that budgets dwarfed ours.

I'd rather we had Houston in charge than Jack Ross who seems to be the new messiah for some reason.
Genuinely could not agree more with this. I am genuinely gobsmacked at some people's opinions on this. His style of football may not be pretty but he gets results. Fair enough promotion didn't happen but it's a long season and he's admitted himself he was just getting to know the league in his first season. 2nd season he lost 4 games in a game where we played Rangers & Hibs 8 times (Hibs 6 times actually) this guy more than deserves a chance. I get people are frustrated but why make signings just for the sake of filling a jersey. He knows he needs to strengthen certain areas and he's said it himself. Make the right signings in the right areas and I think it will pay dividends in the long run.

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Tuesday 01st 2017f August 2017 10:46:49 AM

Several Hearts fans calling for Houston to be the next boss since Cathro has been sacked. Hopefully they have someone else in mind.

ellonbairn
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by ellonbairn » Tuesday 01st 2017f August 2017 12:22:58 PM

Dade wrote:Several Hearts fans calling for Houston to be the next boss since Cathro has been sacked. Hopefully they have someone else in mind.
Yes heard that and obviously has history of working with Levein. Would think there's a good possibility of him leaving.

ellonbairn
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by ellonbairn » Tuesday 01st 2017f August 2017 12:38:52 PM

ellonbairn wrote:
Dade wrote:Several Hearts fans calling for Houston to be the next boss since Cathro has been sacked. Hopefully they have someone else in mind.
Yes heard that and obviously has history of working with Levein. Would think there's a good possibility of him leaving.

Below is what Houston said when there were vacancies at both Hearts and Falkirk, before Holt got the job with us

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/21871389

Kiddy
International Manager
International Manager

Post by Kiddy » Tuesday 01st 2017f August 2017 01:05:38 PM

That he hasn't managed to get the team out of the Second Division, in 3 attempts, speaks volumes.

A complete meh, if he goes. As for a replacement, I'd say Dumbarton's Steve Aitken, but the BoD's would go with Miller/Kerr.
No financial regulation, no corporate governance, no enlarged divisions, no summer football, no single ruling body, no new cash, no integrity. Behold the 'bright new dawn' for Scottish football,

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Tuesday 01st 2017f August 2017 01:29:46 PM

Kiddy wrote:That he hasn't managed to get the team out of the Second Division, in 3 attempts, speaks volumes.

A complete meh, if he goes. As for a replacement, I'd say Dumbarton's Steve Aitken, but the BoD's would go with Miller/Kerr.

Come on, we don't have to go over this ridiculous notion gain that implies we should have expected to go up in the past 3 seasons. This is despite the fact that in that time we finished only 11 points behind McCalls record total of 2003, despite having 8 games against Rangers and Hibs as opposed to ICT and St.Johnstone!
Last edited by Dade on Tuesday 01st 2017f August 2017 01:32:43 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Dade
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by Dade » Tuesday 01st 2017f August 2017 01:31:53 PM

ellonbairn wrote:
ellonbairn wrote:

Below is what Houston said when there were vacancies at both Hearts and Falkirk, before Holt got the job with us

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/21871389
Doesn't sound promising for us should Hearts come sniffing.

Edited to add: having said that if he was previously overlooked for Gary Locke then it's not so bleak!

Honest Al
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Honest Al » Tuesday 01st 2017f August 2017 03:50:40 PM

I can't see it for the life of me.....

1. Housty gets his bus pass next birthday (nothing wrong with that mind you!), and I would imagine he sees the Falkirk gig as his last in football management. He's doing well (-ish) yet see the level of criticism he gets on here. Not so sure he has the appetite for a higher profile position - such as Hearts - and the inevitable sleepless nights that would follow

2. Hearts will not offer Houston the job. They'll be looking for a 'name' (Alex Neill, Paul Lambert, for example) or 'young and progressive' (er....Jack Ross).
Either way Housty won't make the shortlist, even should ol' 4-6-0 do the honourable thing.

Having said that, not convinced by our likely replacements (current underlings)

BRAINBAIRN
Under 18 superstar
Under 18 superstar

Post by BRAINBAIRN » Saturday 12th 2017f August 2017 06:39:19 PM

Go Houstie, your style of football is so negative and boring. Anyone still happy with this mind numbing gash????? Utter disgrace of a performance yet again. F**k off Houston
YOGI = THE MOST TACTICALLY USELESS GUY IN THE COUNTRY