Rovers vBairns

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
Reserve superstar

Rovers vBairns

Postby kennyboy » Saturday 07th 2017f January 2017 05:05:04 PM

1Nil down rovers 1up first 15 mins we are not looking good. HIPPO Free kick 1 all. Playing a bit better 2 goals up Bob. Nearly half time back in the game going for a pie. Missed it Sibbs score 3-1 Bairns half time. 15 to go sibbs gets double 4-1 bairns.

First Team regular

Re: Rovers vBairns

Postby havenbairn » Saturday 07th 2017f January 2017 07:00:35 PM

Best result of the season so far.

Grant was outstanding but everyone played well.

Great day out for the 600+ travelling support who gave the team a standing ovation at full time. :clap:

Reserve sub

Postby 1995Bairn » Saturday 07th 2017f January 2017 09:03:07 PM

Only 2 posts so I'm assuming we must have had our best result of the season.

To be fair, I thought our performance against Hibs was much improved compared to the other games in December and we were really unlucky to lose that. Hopefully confidence will return after that result today. Couldn't make the game so don't know how we played but it was a nice surprise when I saw the scoreline after the match.
Worth bearing in mind, some people might have been surprised by Watson starting ahead of Gasparotto, but if you think back to the first half of last season, our first choice centre back partnership was Watson and Grant and we had only conceded 4 goals at home in the league until January when Grant got injured. And also Muirhead was part of that back 4 and from what I have seen so far, Gallacher is an improvement on Leahy so I would be happy if that back 4 is chosen for the rest of the season.
But the best part of today is that we scored 4 goals. Been a long time since we gave a team a hammering and delighted that McHugh scored because he badly needed that.

Reserve superstar

Postby kennyboy » Saturday 07th 2017f January 2017 09:20:33 PM

Went back to a old workmate for a couple o drinks he is a rovers season ticket holder and he said after the game Falkirk are a unpredictable side this season you never have a clue what team is going to turn up. He was over at the Hibs game and he said that a draw was on the cards up until the last mins. He also said that big grant was back to his best for us. Never seen a save like Rogers pulled out today even had the rovers guys talking about it in the stand. The thing is I opened a bottle o malt after the Hibs game and we had a few drams. Today he opens a bottle o Grouse well he is a fifer after all.

Reserve sub

Postby John Markie » Saturday 07th 2017f January 2017 10:09:12 PM

We won and it looks on paper like it was a doddle. It wasn't, although once the 3rd went in we were rarely troubled - however - we really made heavy weather of it at times.

The first 15 minutes we were very poor, second to every ball and Rovers played some neat wee moves particularly down their right. Gallacher never got close enough to the wee winger, made a tackle on him or stopped a cross all game, and this was exemplified in the first 10 minutes when the move down the right led to their opener. And yes, it shouldn't have stood because of the handball (possibly 2 handballs) in the build up just before he scored. On the radio they were saying Stevenson was causing us bother, but to be fair we were all at sea in those opening minutes and he didn't have that much impact. On balanced they had started much better than us and when that first goal went in I thought we were in for a long afternoon. We rallied a bit after the goal and good work getting the free kick in a dangerous position led to Hippo's great goal. Great work getting it on target, but anyone agree with me that their keeper should have done much better? Anyway we were right back in the game at this stage and a neat first touch by McHugh and a rifled shot gave us the lead. Again, I thought his first touch was a bit heavy, but he didn't mess about with the shot. Rogers then had to pull off an amazing save to keep us ahead before we went further ahead. And it was a disaster for Cuthbert as Sibbs blasted a 20 yarder that most of the crowd could have saved straight at the keeper only for him to somehow let the ball go through his legs without even attempting to get down to the shot. If that was bad the 4th was worse for them. A fairly weak shot by Sibbs early in the second half was again straight at the keeper who this time was right behind it, only for Benedictus to stretch and toe poke it past him into the net. 4-1 and cruising, but then we simply stopped playing and started resorting to long pumped balls all over the park. Any time we did get the ball down and pass it, we looked dangerous. But that was a rare event as Raith upped their game a bit and they probably just shaded the second half.

We still have some very poor players in that starting 11, or rather players who simply are passengers for long spells, or simply are not good enough. Both full backs were guilty of poor aimless punts, but at least Gallacher kept his in the park. Muirhead is simply a disaster and we need him replaced asap. The lad is useless as a right back. Gallacher also got into some very useful positions and he had two assists today as well. He showed decent composure for the set up for Sibbs goal in the second half waiting for support and picking out Sibbs' late run. The central defence looked a lot more steady today than with Gasporotto playing, so maybe Watson isn't as bad as many have said. I thought he had a good game today as did Grant. Misdfield for me just isn't balanced properly Taiwo, Kerr and Sibbs are all too similar in physique and style of play, and Hippo just being isolated too often. The defence doesn't give the midfield the ball the right way often enough, with passes either behind the player, or short, or overhit. We rarely see our midfield striding onto a pass from the back thats right in their path. we also see the defence get too deep and the midfield sit on top off them which means when we do win possession everyone is too deep to take advantage, or the ball is thumped high in the air for Baird. WTF are the practising at training? At least the front two today put in a decent shift and Bob took his goal well.

I have to also comment once again on the refereeing in this game. It was at times farcical. We had an offside flagged (free kick to us) over-ruled and our centre back booked for stopping their forward continuing with the ball. Yeah, ballbag 'cause the player was offside!! Then the blatant handball(s) for their goal missed by not only the ref who was right behind the player who handled, but the linesman never thought to flag to show the guy had handled? WTF not? Then the two footed challenge on Hippolyte which should have been a straight red, was adjudjed to simply be a throw in to them? Each decision there could have changed the game, and/or caused injury to a player, yet this numpty did fcuk all about any of them, except get every decision wrong. Something really has to be done about the referees and their incompetence. Thats almost every match I've seen in the past four or five weeks where the refereeing has simply been abysmal.

Right the beloved (by me) scores out of 10.

Rogers 8/10. Took Stevenson out so that alone was worth a high score, but his fantastic save at 2-1 was a game saver/changer for us. Distribution better today too......still not great though.

Muirhead 4/10. Defensively he wasn't too bad, but he is not a full back and never will be. Some of his "passing" was awful and frequently went straight out the park.
Watson 7/10. Won a host of headers and never put a foot wrong. Could do nothing about their goal as it was clear handball.
Grant 7/10. A rock in defence, but passing needs work. Did the simple things well and thats enough.
Gallacher 6/10. Did well enough in support going forward, but can't keep allowing wingers to simply run wide and get their crosses in. Needs to show more toughness and get some tackling done.

Taiwo 7/10. Without doubt our strongest midfielder in the tackle and defensive work was exemplary. With Muirhead behind him it can't be easy to play wide right.
Kerr 6/10. Again never stops running and made some tackles today, but some passing was woeeful. A typical Kerr performance - neither exceptionally good or bad.
Sibbald 8/10. My Motm. Only player (other than Hippo) who drove forward with purpose and showed any skill. His goals were just desserts for a great performance.
Hippolyte 7/10. If we give him more of the ball we will win more games. He can be devastating, and equally he can be mince. He was a bit of both today, but is trying hard and gives us a touch of the unexpected.

Baird 6/10. Ran his heart out and had a couple of decent link ups with McHugh, but he just hasn't got that killer instinct in front of goal. The service he got was pretty awful from the defence simply punting the ball high up the park to him.
McHugh 7/10. Looked a bit sharper than of late and took his goal well.

Subs
Shepherd and Gasporotto were both ok, the latter only being on for about 5 minutes at the end.

Not a performance the score line accurately portrays. We weren't that good, and they were disappointing after their initial flurry.
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

International Sub

Postby Olaf Thom » Saturday 07th 2017f January 2017 10:46:32 PM

Great result today, some good performances too.

Muirhead gets stick for his distribution but he rarely has an easy forward pass available. Not having a genuine right sided midfielder in front of him isn't helping.

I watched the Hibs V Dundee Utd Game and looked at our bench today, if we make a couple of signings we could catch Dundee Utd. We have a strong but horribly unbalanced squad.
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

First Team superstar

Postby Bula Bairn » Sunday 08th 2017f January 2017 09:56:28 AM

Reserve superstar

Postby rusty_nail » Sunday 08th 2017f January 2017 08:41:20 PM

John Markies summation looks bang on once the highlights are viewed.

Glad of the win but the score line flatters as it looks like Raiths keeper chucked three of them in yesterday!

Hippolytes goal well taken and good save but the one we conceded was poor again.

First Team sub

Postby Bernard Shakey » Monday 09th 2017f January 2017 02:41:35 PM

rusty_nail wrote:John Markies summation looks bang on once the highlights are viewed.

Glad of the win but the score line flatters as it looks like Raiths keeper chucked three of them in yesterday!

Hippolytes goal well taken and good save but the one we conceded was poor again.

The goal we conceded should not have stood and an exageration to say Cuthbert chucked three in. A bit slow to react to Hippolytes free kick, again a bit slow at McHughs shot, ridiculous primary school playground stuff for Sibbalds first but no chance with the fourth as it was deflected right in front of him.
Awful things that can never be unseen:
Olive getting her paps oot in Holiday on the Buses
Thatcher on the steps of 10 Downing St 1979
Ross County 7, Falkirk 0

International Sub

Postby Back Post Misses » Monday 09th 2017f January 2017 08:39:11 PM

Bernard Shakey wrote:
rusty_nail wrote:John Markies summation looks bang on once the highlights are viewed.

The goal we conceded should not have stood and an exageration to say Cuthbert chucked three in. A bit slow to react to Hippolytes free kick, again a bit slow at McHughs shot, ridiculous primary school playground stuff for Sibbalds first but no chance with the fourth as it was deflected right in front of him.

Never? Alba?
Give to Big Gordy if you can

Reserve sub

Postby John Markie » Tuesday 10th 2017f January 2017 11:44:09 PM

I never said Cuthbert chucked the ball in for the first 3. I thought he was poorly positioned for the free kick. I thought Bob had gone too wide, but decent shot by him (rifled the shot in) for the second. And only the 3rd was Cuthbert totally at fault for. So why say I exaggerated? :)
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

First Team sub

Postby Bernard Shakey » Wednesday 11th 2017f January 2017 01:46:44 PM

John Markie wrote:I never said Cuthbert chucked the ball in for the first 3. I thought he was poorly positioned for the free kick. I thought Bob had gone too wide, but decent shot by him (rifled the shot in) for the second. And only the 3rd was Cuthbert totally at fault for. So why say I exaggerated? :)

Who said that you exaggerated?
Awful things that can never be unseen:
Olive getting her paps oot in Holiday on the Buses
Thatcher on the steps of 10 Downing St 1979
Ross County 7, Falkirk 0

Reserve sub

Postby bairnstar » Thursday 12th 2017f January 2017 06:26:36 PM

John Markie wrote:I never said Cuthbert chucked the ball in for the first 3. I thought he was poorly positioned for the free kick. I thought Bob had gone too wide, but decent shot by him (rifled the shot in) for the second. And only the 3rd was Cuthbert totally at fault for. So why say I exaggerated? :)

I've told you a million times to stop exaggerating

Return to Falkirk FC