Rankin Gone

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
International Manager

Re: Rankin Gone

Postby Sir Jones » Friday 06th 2017f January 2017 08:48:17 AM

I don't know the answer to this but what would making the playoffs realistically mean for us? Lets keep expectations realistic and assume we are knocked out at the 3rd v 4th stage. Surely it doesn't make that much of a difference?! I'm pretty certain last seasons playoff run wouldve been a handy cash inflow for the club (not that Houston saw a penny of it) but the season before? I can't remember how cash is divvied up so perhaps it is significant income but, to me, it should never be banked on. It's these monies that should be treated as "war chest" funds. That isn't to say that 4th shouldnt be the very least that Houston achieves mind you.
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.

First Team regular

Postby kent brockman » Friday 06th 2017f January 2017 09:55:37 AM

Unfortunately the play-offs are not the money spinners you might think as the home clubs have to pay 50% of the gate income to the SPFL.

The home clubs keep the other 50% less the costs of staging the match.
Its not the taking part that counts......its the WINNING.

International Regular

Postby Brian Scrimegour » Friday 06th 2017f January 2017 11:00:42 AM

We've got a bigger budget this year compared to last and yet the football has been dire at times and results not good enough. We've got the 3rd biggest budget in the league so 3rd place should be the bench mark and we should be achieving that comfortably over the likes of Raith and Morton. Anything better than 3rd is a bonus whilst 4th is the bare minimum. Anything less isn't good enough. Next season will see a probable drop in budget straight away as our 400k prize money is reduced by anything from 70k for 3rd to over 200k if we miss out on the playoffs altogether. Add to that the season ticket holders who won't be back and it's going to be even harder to compete no matter whose in the league. We should be at least taking advantage of the extra money this year to put a team out that excites the fans instead of pissing the money down the drain on the likes of craigen and Rankin. Whilst we will struggle to win the league at least the fans will keep coming back.

Reserve superstar

Postby stupac07 » Friday 06th 2017f January 2017 11:20:48 AM

This 'having the 3rd biggest budget' argument is getting really boring now and I am not even sure if it's completely true? can we be sure that St Mirren don't have the 3rd biggest budget in the league? If we do have the 3rd biggest budget in the league why should this guarantee us 3rd? Surly its more about getting the right players in which IMO could be done under budget. Rankin is an example of how not to make 3/4th in this league, spending for the sake of it to soften the blow of losing Vaulks!!!

Under 21 International

Postby Bairn4Eva » Friday 06th 2017f January 2017 11:21:00 AM

Agree Rankin done nothing wrong but he wasn't required, ridiculous signing.
We should never have signed Luca, that's a wage that could have went elsewhere. Muirhead should have been moved to his rightful position of CH at start of season with Grant/Cracks and Watson for back up. Muirhead was Partick's POTY playing CH when they won the league. We then could have used Luca's wage to buy a proper RB, Kidd obviously isn't good enough if he can't get in ahead of Muirhead.
If Craigen can't get in the team the maybe its time to see if he has options elsewhere, he hasn't had much of a chance though especially playing out of position.
I know some fans love McHugh for last season but lets be honest, he's really poor. He lacks quality and his goals return this year is awful, just look at that chance against Hibs as a prime example. Not good enough if we have ambitions to get up.
Get rid of McHugh and Craigen and that gives another 2 wages to play with.

International Sub

Postby Olaf Thom » Friday 06th 2017f January 2017 12:24:56 PM

stupac07 wrote:This 'having the 3rd biggest budget' argument is getting really boring now and I am not even sure if it's completely true? can we be sure that St Mirren don't have the 3rd biggest budget in the league? If we do have the 3rd biggest budget in the league why should this guarantee us 3rd? Surly its more about getting the right players in which IMO could be done under budget. Rankin is an example of how not to make 3/4th in this league, spending for the sake of it to soften the blow of losing Vaulks!!!

Last year our turnover was more than £1m more than St Mirren.

Managers have to provide a best team available with the most resources, we have 4000 punters paying their hard earned cash, we deserve to see the best players and the best team that we can, enough of this Jam tomorrow, some fans paying to watch us now, might not see next season! Even if we struggle to compete with Hibs and Dundee Utd financially, there are still 3 cups we could try to win!
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

International Regular

Postby Brian Scrimegour » Friday 06th 2017f January 2017 12:29:03 PM

stupac07 wrote:This 'having the 3rd biggest budget' argument is getting really boring now and I am not even sure if it's completely true? can we be sure that St Mirren don't have the 3rd biggest budget in the league? If we do have the 3rd biggest budget in the league why should this guarantee us 3rd? Surly its more about getting the right players in which IMO could be done under budget. Rankin is an example of how not to make 3/4th in this league, spending for the sake of it to soften the blow of losing Vaulks!!!

I don't see what's wrong with using our budget to rate the performance of our manager. It would be unfair to criticise Houston for not competing with the likes of Hibs or DU that have bigger resources than us. However, he does deserve criticism if he fails to produce a side able to finish above the likes of Raith or Morton. Nothing guarantees us 3rd but anything less is the manager underachieving just as coming second last season he was praised for over achieving.

Reserve superstar

Postby stupac07 » Friday 06th 2017f January 2017 01:16:52 PM

Olaf Thom wrote:

Managers have to provide a best team available with the most resources, we have 4000 punters paying their hard earned cash, we deserve to see the best players and the best team that we can, enough of this Jam tomorrow, some fans paying to watch us now, might not see next season! Even if we struggle to compete with Hibs and Dundee Utd financially, there are still 3 cups we could try to win!

'Last year our turnover was more than £1m more than St Mirren'

Means nothing our current BOD won't spend what we earn this this can't be calculated in to the playing budget, plus does this prove we have a bigger budget than them especially given they will have the parachute payment paid over two years I think and a few premier league players on the books?

Managers have to provide a best team available with the most resources, we have 4000 punters paying their hard earned cash, we deserve to see the best players and the best team that we can, enough of this Jam tomorrow, some fans paying to watch us now, might not see next season! Even if we struggle to compete with Hibs and Dundee Utd financially, there are still 3 cups we could try to win![/quote]

My point exactly the manager has to do better with the resources available regardless of budgets, Rankin is an example of Houston's terrible signing track record I wouldn't give the man another penny to spend.

Reserve first team

Postby Ricey » Friday 06th 2017f January 2017 01:20:15 PM

Can't understand why 3rd biggest argument would bore anyone. We definitely have the 3rd biggest budget and absolutely our managers performance should be measured against it given he spends the budget as he wishes. Why anyone would think otherwise utterly bemuses me

Reserve superstar

Postby stupac07 » Friday 06th 2017f January 2017 01:27:03 PM

Brian Scrimegour wrote:

I don't see what's wrong with using our budget to rate the performance of our manager. It would be unfair to criticise Houston for not competing with the likes of Hibs or DU that have bigger resources than us. However, he does deserve criticism if he fails to produce a side able to finish above the likes of Raith or Morton. Nothing guarantees us 3rd but anything less is the manager underachieving just as coming second last season he was praised for over achieving.

There is nothing wrong with it as long as it's 100% true however teams with less a budget are competing with us because they have brought in the right players. Houston has pissed ours up against a wall yet again, Rankin is an example of this. I also don't get how last season was considered a success? we didn't get promoted after all.

International Sub

Postby Olaf Thom » Friday 06th 2017f January 2017 02:33:05 PM

In an a league with Hibs and Rangers in it we came 2nd and put Hibs out the play-offs, that is over achievement and therefore a success.

This season we are closer to the bottom than top, embarrassing results in Cup competitions, so far this season has been a failure.

DO YOU SEE!
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

Under 21 International

Postby grumpyoldman » Friday 06th 2017f January 2017 03:07:12 PM

Olaf Thom wrote:In an a league with Hibs and Rangers in it we came 2nd and put Hibs out the play-offs, that is over achievement and therefore a success.

This season we are closer to the bottom than top, embarrassing results in Cup competitions, so far this season has been a failure.

DO YOU SEE!

So success is coming second,
no like you Olaf

Under 18 superstar

Postby AL_bairn » Friday 06th 2017f January 2017 03:19:14 PM

Olaf Thom wrote:In an a league with Hibs and Rangers in it we came 2nd and put Hibs out the play-offs, that is over achievement and therefore a success.

DO YOU SEE!

No doubt this season has been disappointing but how are we closer to the bottom than the top?

From what I'm hearing there is a lot of goings on at the club just now. Hopefully Houston has seen sense and realized that his squad is full of average championship players.

International Sub

Postby Olaf Thom » Friday 06th 2017f January 2017 03:23:11 PM

grumpyoldman wrote:So success is coming second,
no like you Olaf

Depends on the competition.

When is the last time we finished ahead of Hibs in the league? Is it 1970?

First Team sub

Postby Bernard Shakey » Friday 06th 2017f January 2017 04:32:22 PM

Realistically last season was a success.
This season has been pretty grim so far but the next couple of weeks may change things, or not, so too early to judge.
Awful things that can never be unseen:
Olive getting her paps oot in Holiday on the Buses
Thatcher on the steps of 10 Downing St 1979
Ross County 7, Falkirk 0

Under 21 International

Postby grumpyoldman » Friday 06th 2017f January 2017 05:05:14 PM

Olaf Thom wrote:
no like you Olaf

Competition was Scottish Championship.
The name of the game is to get promoted out of that division.
If Hibs had been 8th and us 7th would that still have been a success

Of course you might be buying into the 15 points a quarter crap.
In that case finishing above Morton last season was a success

International Sub

Postby Back Post Misses » Friday 06th 2017f January 2017 06:27:52 PM

kent brockman wrote:Unfortunately the play-offs are not the money spinners you might think as the home clubs have to pay 50% of the gate income to the SPFL.

The home clubs keep the other 50% less the costs of staging the match.

yes but the prize money is significantly better 4th-2nd in the league than 5th and below
Give to Big Gordy if you can

International Sub

Postby Back Post Misses » Friday 06th 2017f January 2017 06:31:00 PM

grumpyoldman wrote:
Olaf Thom wrote:
no like you Olaf

A tad harsh.

Too get within 90 minutes of going up with Rangers spending £7m/on players and Hibs £3m I think it was pretty good.

Getting a bleaching at Rugby Park however was a disaster.
Give to Big Gordy if you can

Under 21 International

Postby grumpyoldman » Friday 06th 2017f January 2017 08:30:10 PM

Back Post Misses wrote:
grumpyoldman wrote:
Olaf Thom wrote:

A tad harsh.

Too get within 90 minutes of going up with Rangers spending £7m/on players and Hibs £3m I think it was pretty good.

Getting a bleaching at Rugby Park however was a disaster.

Possibly,
But nevertheless true.
A good season maybe but not a successful one

Reserve sub

Postby John Markie » Friday 06th 2017f January 2017 10:42:13 PM

Kinda getting away from the point here. Budgets and where we finished last season hasn't much to do with Rankin?

This thread is about Rankin going and now "talk" of Liam Craig coming back as replacement. I don't think thats a great move, but he is more in line with a "Vaulks" type of player many are calling for. But we lack pace throughout the side and now is the time to address that issue if we can.

Why do we never look further afield than Scotland?
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

PreviousNext

Return to Falkirk FC