Who should we keep?

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Who should we keep?

Post by John Markie » Friday 30th 2016f December 2016 02:10:39 AM

As far as I can see we have 19 players out of contract in the summer. Who should we keep and who can we let go?

Rankin (age 33)
Shepherd (age 20)
Craigen (age 25)
Kerr (age 34)
Mehmet (age 24)
McCracken (age 35)
Miller (age 33)
Kidd (age 21)
Watson (age 26)
Sibbald (age 21)
Taiwo (age 26)
Rogers (age 22)
Leahy (age 24)
Gasparotto (age 21)
Hippolyte (age 22)
Henderson (age 20)
McMinn (age 19)
McHugh (age 25)
Baird (age 31)

I guess out of that list Sibbald is the best and most valuable player, and we will likely lose him. Hippolyte is a "work in progress" but one I'd like to keep. I like Miller up front and his knowledge and "nous" is worth keeping. Henderson might develop further as he's been decent in the development squad. Gasparotto and Grant would make a decent partnership given time. I like Leahy as well, but he's not much of a defender, so maybe he's just a "maybe aye, maybe no". As for the rest, all easily replaceable. Thoughts on who will stay and who we should punt?
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

chippo1876
Reserve sub
Reserve sub

Re: Who should we keep?

Post by chippo1876 » Friday 30th 2016f December 2016 08:20:56 AM

with all the apathy associated with the team at the moment a major clear out is required but i doubt the board will sanction that and the fact we need to keep a nucleus of the squad for next season so will probably keep gaspo,grant,kidd,mehmet,miller,sibbs,hippo,and possibly craigen and mchugh. the rest can go for me fortunatelysad thing is after 40 yrs of following them going shopping on a saturday is becoming more appealing than watching those performances on the park..........night and day compared to last year !! sad times !!

Back Post Misses
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Back Post Misses » Friday 30th 2016f December 2016 08:24:19 AM

John Markie wrote:As far as I can see we have 19 players out of contract in the summer. Who should we keep and who can we let go?

Rankin (age 33)
Shepherd (age 20)
Craigen (age 25)
Kerr (age 34)
Mehmet (age 24)
McCracken (age 35)
Miller (age 33)
Kidd (age 21)
Watson (age 26)
Sibbald (age 21)
Taiwo (age 26)
Rogers (age 22)
Leahy (age 24)
Gasparotto (age 21)
Hippolyte (age 22)
Henderson (age 20)
McMinn (age 19)
McHugh (age 25)
Baird (age 31)

I guess out of that list Sibbald is the best and most valuable player, and we will likely lose him. Hippolyte is a "work in progress" but one I'd like to keep. I like Miller up front and his knowledge and "nous" is worth keeping. Henderson might develop further as he's been decent in the development squad. Gasparotto and Grant would make a decent partnership given time. I like Leahy as well, but he's not much of a defender, so maybe he's just a "maybe aye, maybe no". As for the rest, all easily replaceable. Thoughts on who will stay and who we should punt?
Don't think this is accurate

Gasparotto, Kidd and Henderson got two year deals I am sure as did Craigen. We have an option on Hyppolyte and Rogers is not our player.

Shepherd has been offered a contract I believe.

I would only keep Taiwo, Leahy and Miller.
Give to Big Gordy if you can

Ricey
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Ricey » Friday 30th 2016f December 2016 12:07:01 PM

Leahy will definitely be off he only stayed as nobody would pay a fee for him last year. He's now past the under 24 threshold. For me I would want to keep hippo, Miller and sibbald and wouldn't be bothered about keeping others. One point I would make is why we continue to hand out 2 year deals like confetti. Unless a player is under 24 and has genuine promise then we should have a club policy of no more than 1 year deal. with Houstons awful signing record this should further underline the importance to the club of having players on shorter deals and also no mccracken esq deals either.

Jarvis the Ginger General
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by Jarvis the Ginger General » Friday 30th 2016f December 2016 03:49:08 PM

I would bin the following - irrespective of what they have left on their contract:

Rankin (age 33)
Shepherd (age 20)
Craigen (age 25)
Kerr (age 34)
Mehmet (age 24)
McCracken (age 35)
Kidd (age 21)
Watson (age 26)
Rogers (age 22)
Henderson (age 20)
McMinn (age 19)
McHugh (age 25)
Baird (age 31)

Some of the above have done well for us - but we need a massive clear out. If guys like Henderson cant break into our abysmal midfield, are they worth another year? I am swithering over McHugh but he hasn't been good enough this season - Baird has given us some good games but its clear his time is nearly up. Lets stop signing average crap from Raith/QOS etc and think a bit differently with recruitment. I think I would add Houston and his team to the above - overall he gave us 2 pretty decent results in a cup final and a play off final, but I think its time for us to shake hands with him and move on.
Im constantly updating my hit parade of the 10 biggest w**ks on OneF.

dixie chicken
International Sub
International Sub

Post by dixie chicken » Friday 30th 2016f December 2016 04:19:35 PM

Jarvis the Ginger General wrote:I would bin the following - irrespective of what they have left on their contract:

Rankin (age 33)
Shepherd (age 20)
Craigen (age 25)
Kerr (age 34)
Mehmet (age 24)
McCracken (age 35)
Kidd (age 21)
Watson (age 26)
Rogers (age 22)
Henderson (age 20)
McMinn (age 19)
McHugh (age 25)
Baird (age 31)

Some of the above have done well for us - but we need a massive clear out. If guys like Henderson cant break into our abysmal midfield, are they worth another year? I am swithering over McHugh but he hasn't been good enough this season - Baird has given us some good games but its clear his time is nearly up. Lets stop signing average crap from Raith/QOS etc and think a bit differently with recruitment. I think I would add Houston and his team to the above - overall he gave us 2 pretty decent results in a cup final and a play off final, but I think its time for us to shake hands with him and move on.
Agree with most of this apart from Shepherd and McMinn both of whom, I feel, are worth a bit longer.
Regarding Henderson, I've only seen him play 2 or 3 times and was quite impressed but someone like Alba has seen a lot more of him

John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by John Markie » Friday 30th 2016f December 2016 09:57:07 PM

dixie chicken wrote:
Jarvis the Ginger General wrote:I would bin the following - irrespective of what they have left on their contract:

Rankin (age 33)
Shepherd (age 20)
Craigen (age 25)
Kerr (age 34)
Mehmet (age 24)
McCracken (age 35)
Kidd (age 21)
Watson (age 26)
Rogers (age 22)
Henderson (age 20)
McMinn (age 19)
McHugh (age 25)
Baird (age 31)

Agree with most of this apart from Shepherd and McMinn both of whom, I feel, are worth a bit longer.
Regarding Henderson, I've only seen him play 2 or 3 times and was quite impressed but someone like Alba has seen a lot more of him
Henderson is a difficult one. I would say keep for at least one more season as he can be quite effective especially in partnership with Blues. Again what to do with the development boys? Who will be getting a contract offered? Thrre are a couple of possibilities there that could do a job for us. EG Blues who is as capable (if not more than capapble) of replacing Rankin. Rankin must surely go down as the most pointless signing ever.
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

Brian Scrimegour
International Regular
International Regular

Post by Brian Scrimegour » Saturday 31st 2016f December 2016 11:00:53 AM

I question why the likes of henderson has'nt been given a chance in the first team considering how bad our current midfield is. I've only seen him a few times in the development team but he at least looked to have the legs to go box to box which we are badly missing at the moment. As Ricey says Houstons decision to give the likes of Kidd and Craigen 2 year deals is really killing us at the moment . I'd maybe keep kerr for another season but that would depend very much on getting him a midfield partner that suits him. Sibbald is far too slow to have in there and he cant tackle. I wouldnt punt Mehmet until we have a replacement for Rogers. McHugh is probably worth another year as he's been a decent impact player off the bench if nothing else. Probably let Baird go although I feel a bit sorry for him this season as he's having to drop deep every game to try and get involved due to the lack of penetration in our midfield. Houstons got us in a real mess squad wise and I wouldnt like to be in his shoes trying to get it sorted out.

Flash
Under 18 superstar
Under 18 superstar

Post by Flash » Monday 02nd 2017f January 2017 01:39:34 PM

Get rid of Houston and his staff and bring in someone neutral and let them decide who is worth keeping and who goes.

TheBoysDoneGood
Under 21 International
Under 21 International

Post by TheBoysDoneGood » Thursday 12th 2017f January 2017 02:18:04 AM

It needs a real clearout as mentioned already to give the club the kick up the arse it needs. Myself and many others have almost completely lost interest in Falkirk these days. It feels harsh to say given the Cup final and last season but it probably needs Houston to go as well. The signings have by and large been terrible and getting that right will determine whether we go up anytime soon or not.

Flash
Under 18 superstar
Under 18 superstar

Post by Flash » Thursday 12th 2017f January 2017 11:01:25 AM

TheBoysDoneGood wrote:It needs a real clearout as mentioned already to give the club the kick up the arse it needs. Myself and many others have almost completely lost interest in Falkirk these days. It feels harsh to say given the Cup final and last season but it probably needs Houston to go as well. The signings have by and large been terrible and getting that right will determine whether we go up anytime soon or not.
Totally Agree.

John Markie
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by John Markie » Saturday 20th 2017f May 2017 10:42:25 PM

John Markie wrote:As far as I can see we have 19 players out of contract in the summer. Who should we keep and who can we let go?

Rankin (age 33) gone
Shepherd (age 20) - keep
Craigen (age 25) - hmmm tricky - not as bad as when he first started but good enough - questionable!
Kerr (age 34) - should retire
Mehmet (age 24)gone
McCracken (age 35) - must go if not already away
Miller (age 33) - Inclined to say keep him as player/coach
Kidd (age 21) - not good enough
Watson (age 26) - not as bad as I at first thought, but probably go.
Sibbald (age 21) - will be away (St Johnstone I've heard mentioned?)
Taiwo (age 26) - go
Rogers (age 22) - go
Leahy (age 24) - will leave whatever happens
Gasparotto (age 21) - tempted to keep for at least one more season
Hippolyte (age 22) - keep. Never know what extraordinary things he can produce (both good and bad)
Henderson (age 20) - keep.
McMinn (age 19) - not outstanding or anything and maybe only useful for dev squad.
McHugh (age 25) - go
Baird (age 31) - go

Flash
Under 18 superstar
Under 18 superstar

Post by Flash » Sunday 21st 2017f May 2017 10:46:04 AM

John Markie wrote:

Rankin (age 33) gone
Shepherd (age 20) - go
Craigen (age 25) - hmmm tricky - not as bad as when he first started but good enough - questionable!
Kerr (age 34) - should retire
Mehmet (age 24)gone
McCracken (age 35) - must go if not already away
Miller (age 33) - Inclined to say keep him as player/coach
Kidd (age 21) - not good enough
Watson (age 26) - not as bad as I at first thought, but probably go.
Sibbald (age 21) - will be away (St Johnstone I've heard mentioned?)
Taiwo (age 26) - go
Rogers (age 22) - go
Leahy (age 24) - will leave whatever happens
Gasparotto (age 21) - tempted to keep for at least one more season
Hippolyte (age 22) - keep. Never know what extraordinary things he can produce (both good and bad)
Henderson (age 20) - keep.
McMinn (age 19) - not outstanding or anything and maybe only useful for dev squad.
McHugh (age 25) - go
Baird (age 31) - go
Plus management team, that should be just about right

Bridge of Allan Bairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by Bridge of Allan Bairn » Monday 22nd 2017f May 2017 05:07:42 PM

Release list is disappointing. Good luck to luke Leahy really liked watching him and scored great goals deserves a move down south nearer home. Also best to Bob scorer of many important goals ladt season sure he'll work out okay elsewhere.

Wanted to see Baird and kidd on that list although probably under contract. Really can't bear to watch them again next season.

Has the feeling of last season again with Leahy going early like Alston and talisman Sibbald will probably go late in day like vaulks. We'll be rummaging about in tk Maxx for ladt minute bargains and won't know whether to vomit to early bird while rivals like st mirren already seem to have a decent squad assembled. One good signing early doors would be a great life and send out a message to the league showing we mean business and actually want to win it outright this year
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

Honest Al
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by Honest Al » Monday 22nd 2017f May 2017 06:10:51 PM

From the club website :
We can now confirm that a number of players will leave the club upon expiry of their contracts. These are outlined as follows:

Bob McHugh
Luke Leahy
Fraser Aird
David McCracken (discussions ongoing regarding a non playing position)
Kyle Johnson
Cameron Eadie
Lewis McMinn
Alba would know best, but probably the loss of 5 and 4 goals to Rangers & Celtic by the Development Team at the end of January were the nails in the coffin for the above defensive trio
Danny Rogers returns to Aberdeen FC upon conclusion of his loan deal.
Negotiations in progress with a number of out of contract players.

Pity about Leahy, and yeah Sibbald will surely be elsewhere next season. Baird is not going to get any sharper, and Kerr's stamina is on the wane - both fine players, but on the downgrade for a team targeting promotion.
I'm sure the thoughts are that the u20s full backs will step up, but if Cracks is to be taken on as a coach, is a reshuffle of the current management pack in the offing?

havenbairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by havenbairn » Monday 22nd 2017f May 2017 07:30:38 PM

That list is nowhere near long enough. :bang:

Pete
International Sub
International Sub

Post by Pete » Monday 22nd 2017f May 2017 07:45:25 PM

Mccracken is to be the clubs herbalife rep.

honestbairn
Reserve first team
Reserve first team

Post by honestbairn » Monday 22nd 2017f May 2017 11:22:03 PM

Honest Al wrote:From the club website :
We can now confirm that a number of players will leave the club upon expiry of their contracts. These are outlined as follows:

Bob McHugh
Luke Leahy
Fraser Aird
David McCracken (discussions ongoing regarding a non playing position)
Kyle Johnson
Cameron Eadie
Lewis McMinn
Alba would know best, but probably the loss of 5 and 4 goals to Rangers & Celtic by the Development Team at the end of January were the nails in the coffin for the above defensive trio
Danny Rogers returns to Aberdeen FC upon conclusion of his loan deal.
Negotiations in progress with a number of out of contract players.

Pity about Leahy, and yeah Sibbald will surely be elsewhere next season. Baird is not going to get any sharper, and Kerr's stamina is on the wane - both fine players, but on the downgrade for a team targeting promotion.
I'm sure the thoughts are that the u20s full backs will step up, but if Cracks is to be taken on as a coach, is a reshuffle of the current management pack in the offing?

I think Luke has improved a lot in the last year but not surprised to see him go, expect Sibbs to go as well. I am also not overly surprised to see McHugh go, he never seemed to be able to make much of an impact over 90 minutes.

So from either the youth team or signings we need, a RB, LB (Possibly a CB), RM, LM, CF.

That's quite a lot of players that we need given especially when you consider the age of Miller and Kerr so there is no way you can expect 90 minutes out of them every week. Realistically we will need some good signings since I expect nothing less than going for the title.

stupac07
Reserve superstar
Reserve superstar

Post by stupac07 » Tuesday 23rd 2017f May 2017 03:20:12 PM

Question did McCracken have another option to sign?

Are Baird and Kerr contracted till Jan 2017?

Does anyone know when Hippolyte and Austin's contracts are up?

Cheers I advance.

havenbairn
First Team regular
First Team regular

Post by havenbairn » Tuesday 23rd 2017f May 2017 04:33:17 PM

stupac07 wrote:Question did McCracken have another option to sign? He did not play enough games to trigger a new contract

Are Baird and Kerr contracted till Jan 2017? They did play enough games to trigger a new contract

Does anyone know when Hippolyte and Austin's contracts are up? May 2018

Cheers in advance.