Falkirk v Hibernian on Hogmanay

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
Reserve first team

Re: Falkirk v Hibernian on Hogmanay

Postby John Markie » Monday 02nd 2017f January 2017 01:49:09 AM

Bit of pc trouble stopped me posting yesterday.

Everyone should feel disappointed with the result on Hogmanay as Hibs were there for the taking. But thanks to frankly terrible defending from both midfield and defence for the equaliser and then us subsequently never really looking like causing them any trouble led to the inevitable defeat.

Now its easy to castigate the team and manager for the result, but had McHugh shown a tiny bit of self belief and hit the ball with his left foot when one on one near the end, we might all be celebrating instead of greetin into our beers.

Neither team looked anything other than very ordinary (ok conditions and refereeing didn't help) and until that period of pressure near the end from Hibs neither side looked like winning.

Now to the points

Rogers 5/10. No chance with the goals, but he doesn't exactly inspire confidence, does he? Terrible decision making on when to come and when to stay, lack of command of his 6 yard box and quite often hopeless distribution.

Muirhead 4/10. On quite a few ocassions had acres of ground ahead of him to run into to stretch the Hibs defence, yet almost every time, stopped and passed square inside, without then continuing on into the space ahead. He is no full back and a weak link in defence.
Gasparotto 7/10. Very decent performance from the young man. Composed, and made some key tackles and interceptions.
Grant 5/10. Only just a pass mark for him. At fault (along with others) for the equaliser, terrible decision making coming right over and wiping out Gallacher for a header giving a clear run to Hibs player in second half. Looked shaky, unsure of himself, and generally not up to what we've come to expect from him.
Gallacher 8/10. Showed great skill and confidence throughout the 90 minutes. If only we had a couple more like him on the park. My MotM.

Taiwo 7/10. Tenacious as always and looked to have the fledgling building of a relationship with Shep out wide.
Kerr 6/10. Decent enough, but gave the ball away too often for my liking. He puts some amount of effort into his game, pity in all the years he has never learnt how to shoot. You'd think that might be an advantage to a player in knowing that particular skill.
Sibbald 8/10. Our only really imaginative player, and so he showed with some delightful touches, passes and of course his goal. Also partly to blame for the equaliser.

Shepherd 7/10. He's getting there. Beginning to show a bit more strength and determination, but is not really a "wide player". Decent enough performance.
Baird 5/10. Again only just pass marks. Lots of effort but never looks like hurting a defence.
Hippolyte 6/10. I like the big guy, but at times is exasperating to watch. No doubting his ability and desire, just needs a bit more consistency throughout the 90 minutes.

Neither sub made any telling contribution, with McHugh showing a total lack of confidence when through 1 v 1 with their keeper. Woeful effort - he should hang his head right enough.

Overall not as bad as I thought we'd be, but then Hibs were nowhere near as good as I thought they'd be. We are just a disjointed bunch of players, not a team. We never look like scoring any more than a goal a game (I am sure we score more than that) and we look like a mid table team at best. We've lost 2 good players and replaced them with dross. Rankin, Craigen and Kidd are not even as good as what we have coming through in the development squad so why did Houston sign them? Did he actually see any of them play before he offered them contracts, because their inability to break into a poor first team is embarrassing both for them and the guy who signed them. Get these charlatans out along with under performers and give the kids a go. I can accept bottom half of the league with the kids playing. What is unacceptable is seeing these frauds getting a wage for warming the bench every week. Likewise on the goal-keeping side - why play a loanee who really is only passable rather than far superior to what we have in the way of signed players?

Hopefully we will see a big clear out in the summer as we badly need some fresh faces in this side. Other than Sibbald and occasionally Hippolyte we have no-one capable of changing a game, or doing something that will get the fans off their ar$e$. It amazes me how we still get decent crowds to watch what is really very poor stuff. I have very little faith in Houston making the kind of signings that will turn us into a Championship winning side, no matter what the budget is.
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

International Sub

Postby dennybairn » Tuesday 03rd 2017f January 2017 06:45:59 AM

Brian Scrimegour wrote:Simply not good enough again. Commons strike just shows you what a little bit of investment gives you when it comes to the crunch. Hibs were no great shakes and you'd fancy our team of last season would've had enough to get the 3 points today but the main worry now is that both morton and raith have two games in hand on us now . Two teams we should be finishing comfortably ahead of considering our crowds and budget.

A little bit of investment..... he probably earns as much as our starting 11 put together and more than we've ever paid a player in our history..
Let's hear it for the lovely ladies.

First Team superstar

Postby Bula Bairn » Tuesday 03rd 2017f January 2017 08:47:06 AM

Commons strike just showed how bad our wall was!

He was hopeless the rest of the game.

International Regular

Postby Brian Scrimegour » Tuesday 03rd 2017f January 2017 12:12:49 PM

dennybairn wrote:
Brian Scrimegour wrote:Simply not good enough again. Commons strike just shows you what a little bit of investment gives you when it comes to the crunch. Hibs were no great shakes and you'd fancy our team of last season would've had enough to get the 3 points today but the main worry now is that both morton and raith have two games in hand on us now . Two teams we should be finishing comfortably ahead of considering our crowds and budget.

A little bit of investment..... he probably earns as much as our starting 11 put together and more than we've ever paid a player in our history..

I'm not saying we would want or could afford him but it's all about strengthening the squad. If everyone else is doing it except us then there's only one way we'll be going. It's frustrating that much smaller clubs are able to sign more players and yet we're skint. If it's the manager that's the reason then the bod need to do something about it.

Reserve first team

Postby Ricey » Tuesday 03rd 2017f January 2017 04:30:41 PM

What does another player actually cost us? Given our salary cap no more than £20k. With gates above what we could have expected surely the cash is there. It's therefore nonsense surely that we can't afford another signing and more the board don't trust Houston. If that's the case and I don't necessarily disagree with them then surely it's a case of if results don't improve we will change manager at the seasons end.

International Regular

Postby Ranaldo Bairn » Tuesday 03rd 2017f January 2017 05:26:08 PM

I think, barring the absolutely microscopic possibility that we went up, that we will be changing managers at the season's end. No doubt in my mind about that.
"You, who have destroyed so much - can you name even one thing you have created? I thought not. There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue Physicist."

International Manager

Postby Sir Jones » Tuesday 03rd 2017f January 2017 07:31:37 PM

Ranaldo Bairn wrote:I think, barring the absolutely microscopic possibility that we went up, that we will be changing managers at the season's end. No doubt in my mind about that.

I dont mind Houston but I think that if this was the plan, then waiting to Summer would be a massively stupid move. We would be missing out on a whole raft of PCA possibilities and a Summer replacement might find himself further hamstrung with signings in this window (the young keeper for example). If the grand plan is to get shot of him then best get it done now.
If you're committed enough, you can make any story work. I once told a woman I was Kevin Costner, and it worked because I believed it.

International Regular

Postby Ranaldo Bairn » Tuesday 03rd 2017f January 2017 09:30:26 PM

No, I don't mind him either, but to clarify what I meant, I think he will be pretty likely to walk at the end of the year, and the board will not try too hard to stop him.

Not that I am ITK at all, just my impression.
"You, who have destroyed so much - can you name even one thing you have created? I thought not. There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue Physicist."

Previous

Return to Falkirk FC