Falkirk v Hibernian on Hogmanay

Falkirk FC - club news, events, players, signings, games, stadium etc
Reserve superstar

Falkirk v Hibernian on Hogmanay

Postby rusty_nail » Thursday 29th 2016f December 2016 01:29:21 PM

Predictions?

Most of the bookies have Hibs down for an away win but is it possible we could end the year on a high or like the FFC website, is this one fixture we'd likely forget in a currently disappointing season :roll:

First Team regular

Re: Falkirk v Hibernian on Hogmanay

Postby Bridge of Allan Bairn » Thursday 29th 2016f December 2016 04:58:45 PM

I expect another close game where we draw or lose by one goal
"We knew other teams didn't like coming to Brockville...they said it was a dump...tight pitch...poor surface...we used that to our advantage...the team spirit was outstanding" J Hughes 2003

Promising Young Manager

Postby Quidsin » Thursday 29th 2016f December 2016 08:34:45 PM

1-1
SAFE TERRACING FOR TFS EAST STAND.
Houston we have a problem - we need an East Terrace

Reserve sub

Postby John Markie » Friday 30th 2016f December 2016 01:16:03 AM

its difficult to see how we can get anything from this game, given our current form. We just don't seem to have the right blend at the minute.

Gasparotto and Grant make a better centre back pairing than one that involves McCracken. Gallacher has been great at left back, but we need to remember he is young and may suffer some inconsistency.

The midfield is terrible - Taiwo the only one capable of making a tackle and Sibbs the only one capable of making a forward pass. I'm pleased to see Shepherd getting a full game, even though it is wide right - but then what is the alternative (Graigen? or Taiwo?)?

Baird is busy but lacking confidence, Miller is good but needs close support to be effective (rather than up front on his own). I'd be tempted to play 4-4-2 with a front 2 of Miller and Hippolyte.

The real problem area is midfield though as its as porous as fcuk. We need Taiwo in there and I'd also be tempted to play Leahy wide left in front of Gallacher. Still doesn't address the real problem of the right side of the team. Kidd at full back? Aye, ok, but only because the alternative is the frankly scary Muirhead.

We really need to do something in January to change the way we are playing and if that means losing players before we get anyone new in, then that might be the best option for everyone. If we had a board with any kind of empathy with what us fans are going through they'd ditch Houston and spend a bit of cash. Any director of a 2nd tier Scottish football club must realise that its a hobby and as such will cost them money, especially if they want to get into the top tier with their "hobby". I doubt any of the current incumbents have the ambition to achieve that level, and are simply happy to enjoy their hobby at its current level, where it just about breaks even as long as we keep selling players and have the odd decent cup run.

This will be a tough 90 minutes for everyone - players and fans alike. Hibs to win by 2 or 3.
A.P.K.A. - alba bairn. I don't know why they "suspended" my previous account? Ask them.....

International Sub

Postby Back Post Misses » Friday 30th 2016f December 2016 08:30:48 AM

We will need to be better going forward than Monday.

Let's not forget however Hibs are honking we ain't playing Barcelona so no fear please Houston.

Want to see changes up front. I would like to see Hyppolyte there with Austin eventually but I would partner him with McHugh for this. Sibbald left, Kerr and Taiwo midfield and I guess Shepherd is the best of a bad bunch on the right. Only other call is Kidd or Muirhead at RB. It will be Muirhead unfortunately for his defensive strength.
Give to Big Gordy if you can

Reserve first team

Postby ellonbairn » Friday 30th 2016f December 2016 01:21:30 PM

If we give as many chances to Hibs as we gave Dunfermline in the first half on Monday, we will be hammered.

First Team sub

Postby oot_the_loop » Friday 30th 2016f December 2016 07:21:16 PM

I'd actually drop Kerr and Baird.

Muirhead Grant Luca Gallagher

Hippolyte Rankin Sibbald Leahy

Miller Shepherd (though would prefer O'Hara)

International Sub

Postby Olaf Thom » Friday 30th 2016f December 2016 07:30:32 PM

Why is this game kicking off at bloody lunchtime and not 3pm?

Hibs should win easily, but our team this season is set up to grind out results against Hibs and Dundee Utd, daft lazy Houston forgot we need to win games against the rest of the other teams in the league -the clown!

So set tactics to ultra defensive and look to score via a set play or mistake. Most likely won't work, but you never know.
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

Under 21 International

Postby grumpyoldman » Friday 30th 2016f December 2016 08:15:43 PM

Olaf Thom wrote:Why is this game kicking off at bloody lunchtime and not 3pm

To allow all the Hibs fans home to the street party, I believe

International Manager

Postby Kiddy » Saturday 31st 2016f December 2016 02:29:51 PM

Decent game, fairly even. Felt sorry for Shep's, who's linking well with Taiwo, when his effort came off the post. But Sibbald able to follow it up to give us the lead. Soft goal to give up almost immediately, with too many ball watching & not picking up runners.
No financial regulation, no corporate governance, no enlarged divisions, no summer football, no single ruling body, no new cash, no integrity. Behold the 'bright new dawn' for Scottish football,

International Regular

Postby Brian Scrimegour » Saturday 31st 2016f December 2016 03:25:02 PM

Simply not good enough again. Commons strike just shows you what a little bit of investment gives you when it comes to the crunch. Hibs were no great shakes and you'd fancy our team of last season would've had enough to get the 3 points today but the main worry now is that both morton and raith have two games in hand on us now . Two teams we should be finishing comfortably ahead of considering our crowds and budget.

Reserve superstar

Postby rusty_nail » Saturday 31st 2016f December 2016 04:22:52 PM

Huffed and puffed but weather put paid to any decent football in the first half.

Poor goal to concede but we've done it all season so wasn't unexpected. However, it shows what can be done when your strikers actually play on the shoulder and are direct as opposed to all of our options who are either holding it up, laying it off or crossing it instead of putting chances away!

At 1-1 it was always a possibility we could lose another. Regardless of how rotund and poor Commons was you can't give him a free-kick in that area.

Houston needs to realise he needs to shuffle the pack or this malaise will continue and if today didn't signal the end of our season there aren't many more games to save it with the current squad.

Reserve first team

Postby JinkySneakz » Saturday 31st 2016f December 2016 04:30:33 PM

This game perfectly summed up the season so far.

• Woeful to watch
• Zero chances
• Dodgy defence

At this rate, the play offs look a push. Even if we do manage to get a place, what's the point? We have been utter dross since we beat Dunfermline 2-1 at home. We would get to the semis max then pumped out.

Houston deserves a lot of respect for the last two seasons (Scottish cup final and play off final), but so far he's had a howler this season. We're now heading into January and we don't even have a stable first 11.

The signings made in the summer have been nothing less than honking and embarrassing.

Houston needs to come out of his bubble of being hard done by. 2 wins in the last 10 games is absolutely pathetic.

Genuinely don't believe in anything the club and management are doing this season.

Massive clear out needed in the summer, which is a shame after such a good previous season.
Baird, Baird, Super Baird, Super John Baird

First Team superstar

Postby Dade » Saturday 31st 2016f December 2016 06:58:13 PM

Can we also talk about the joke of an emergency loan deal Hibs got with Kris Commons. Couldn't hurt having Petrie and Lawell on the SPFL board.

First Team regular

Postby yogisbairns » Saturday 31st 2016f December 2016 07:10:12 PM

We have defenders who only seem capable of clearing balls, as opposed to passing them from defence. They're also brittle as hell (today's opener for Hibs proved that). A midfield that cannot see any killer passes and forwards that are either feeding off scraps or out of position. Apart from that, we're doing great. This Hibs team should have been beaten easily themselves and looked short in confidence. Seems strange, but I bet their are no fans of teams in this year's championship that can be happy watching their teams. The standards this season have been we'll below average and whoever goes on to win this league will probably just grind out results for most of the season. If Hibs do go up, that'll be the last of the "Cash Cow" clubs were likely to see at Falkirk for a few years (cup games aside). All in all, a bleak outlook for 2017. That aside, can I take this opportunity to wish all Bairns fans a healthy, happy & prosperous 2017.
Imagedont matter if your not good at anything, as long as you look as if you know what your doing!(Remember, image is all)!

Reserve superstar

Postby rusty_nail » Saturday 31st 2016f December 2016 08:13:09 PM

Can we also talk about the joke of an emergency loan deal Hibs got with Kris Commons. Couldn't hurt having Petrie and Lawell on the SPFL board

Indeed. However, I have heard that our manager appears to be caught between two stools: He is averse to blooding youngsters and yet doesn't see better players than we have, we could afford, elsewhere.

Sadky I'm afraid were unlikely to even attempt to try and engineer a similar signing as this in January.

International Sub

Postby Olaf Thom » Saturday 31st 2016f December 2016 10:18:51 PM

More rubbish and the new year looks grim, Morton will put us out the cup, giving the club no option but to flog Gallagher on the cheap. Only a double relegation this season will give any cause for optimism.
I'm a bad man who doesn't waste time wondering what could've been when I am what could've been and what could not have been. I live on both sides of the fence. My grass is always green.

International Regular

Postby Brian Scrimegour » Saturday 31st 2016f December 2016 10:36:46 PM

Houston spouting the usual about club not getting into any more debt by making any january signings even though everyone else in the league look to be strengthening except us. Our season now relies on him getting some of his useless signings out the door. My money's on gallacher or Sibbald being flogged on the cheap and us being left with plodders like craigen and Kidd.

Reserve superstar

Postby Jarvis the Ginger General » Sunday 01st 2016f January 2017 02:19:12 AM

I thought we were OK today - nothing special, lacking ideas but generally not too bad. Im going to do an Alba style mark out of 10 as the man himself hasnt done it yet.

Rogers - 6/10 - I though he was ropey today. Decision making when coming off his line wasnt good. Did make 1 or 2 really good saves but overall not a great season.
Gallacher - 7.5/10 - I really like the look of him - great composure. I just felt he lacked a bit of confidence going forward.
Luca - 7/10 - Thought he had a decent game. The only decent summer signing from Houston.
Grant - 6/10 - Still not quite back to himself. Some clumsy moments, distribution not great and gave away a silly free kick for Commons goal. But I think he will get back to his best soon.
Muirhead - 5/10 - Just not a right back. Good effort but not great going forward and passing was poor.
Sheppard - 5/10 - Not really getting the love for his performance on facebook page. Thought he was lightweight and largely inneffectual - cant remember him doing anything in 2nd half and easily brushed off ball.
Kerr - 6/10 - Its a shame but time is catching up with him. Thought he did some good stuff but gave ball away easily and set pieces were inconsistent.
Taiwo - 7/10 - I like Tommy's effort. Some good sliding tackles but he is fairly limited going forward and should have done better with chance in box.
Sibbald 8/10 - My MOTM. Thought he was great today - skillful, took his goal well, fantastic ball to McHugh for his 1-on-1.
Hippo - 7/10 - Usual mixture - some great stuff, some bad decision making - overall good.
Baird - 5/10 - Lacked service but he should never start in a 4-5-1. Time for him to move on.

Subs:

McHugh - 6/10 - At least a bit of a bright spark but blew his 1-on-1 at a vital point in game
Miller - 6/10 - I really like big Lee - but couldnt influence game too much when he came on.
Im constantly updating my hit parade of the 10 biggest w**ks on OneF.

First Team regular

Postby havenbairn » Sunday 01st 2016f January 2017 09:35:34 AM

It could have been all so different if McHugh had taken his chance with 5 minutes to go but you just knew Commons was going to score.

Overall I thought Hibs were poor and that we deserved a draw.

Next

Return to Falkirk FC